Next fall she should be able to start kindergarten on schedule, if we want her to. She'll be just under a year into maintenance, so if all goes well...
A friend of mine, whose son is EXACTLY a year older and diagnosed EXACTLY a year earlier (like, to the day, eerie...) is starting K next week and she's a bundle of nerves. It seems like a bit of a hassle - she'd have to be careful and avoid sick kids, be careful of her port while she's playing.... So, I'm like 94% on the send her off to school train. The other 6% screams homeschool for a year.
Yeah. I would be totally freaked out. Have you watched a class full of kindergarteners? They are ... gross. Very cute, but ... yeah. We've never had an instance of the Flu (DD was a particular clean little critter) until DS brought it home last December. If she's only 5, I might refrain until she was 6. I guess it would depend on when her birthday is, etc..
I'm sure she ready to go already.
DD's been in Kindergarten what 6 weeks? And she's already had para pertussis, a cold for almost a week, and now has gastroenteritis. This is ridiculous. The teacher said all the kids in the 2 Kindergarten classes and the 2 first grades are sick constantly, and it's not just DD. My older 2 kids are just fine. I figured DD would get sick, but she's barely had a healthy day since starting.
Wow!?! Really? You are going to freak me out a little. DD is in kinder this year, too; and we've had nothing. She's sniffling a bit right now, but I'm sure it is allergies because I've had the windows open for almost 2 weeks now. I've actually expected her to be sick because her white counts are always wonky and no one can explain why.
She's really good about hand-washing and using hand sanitizer when she can't though, so there's that.
As long as the adults that need to know are aware of the port and the immune system issues, they can be a little extra vigilant, too.
Yes, and it's not just DD. In fact, the teacher told me very single child in the class is getting sick over and over. A new girl started in DD's class recently, and she was there 2 days when she was out for almost a week sick. I wonder what her parents thought about that. I had a talk with the principal about DD being sick and missing school, and my concerns about the missed number of days. He said it's normal for K and 1st grade to get sick a lot and that DD's missed days are no problem and he's seeing it in those classes.
I disagree, maybe he's right to some degree, but not sick like this. I privately question the sanitizing procedures of DD's teacher in the class,but what can I say to her, wtf are you doing or not doing? Are you using sanitizing wipes on the tables or spraying the toys even once a week? I have a very good relationship with this school and especially this teacher. She's asked me to help her in the classroom and Im working with her on plans for upcoming parties. I don't want to screw things up with her, but if all of these kids are getting sick over and over then changes need to be made. I just can't think of any way to question the teacher without putting her on the defensive. Last week, I did send some sanitizer with dd, a tiny little travel sized bottle with instructions to sanitize after lunch and after recess. DD said she took it out to do it, but the teacher told her it wasn't necessary. I sent Clorox cleaning wipes, a couple, to have DD wipe her table area when she gets into class but the teacher told her again it wasn't necessary. I sense a come to Jesus meeting.
If this keeps up, I mean DD getting sick on a non stop regular basis I am yanking her out and putting her back next year. DD LOVES school and has so many friends, and I love her being in school. But there's building your immune system up and then there's bombarding it constantly where a child barely has time to recover before getting something else. The para pertussis was the one thing that we never expected. We figured strep, colds, fevers but not whooping cough.
DD doesn't have allergies or immune system problems and her blood work was absolutely perfect. It's all happening to all of the kids. This is a sanitary issue compounded by parents sending their kids to school sick.