Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Animal Lovers, Beware of Ownership Costs

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 prakas

prakas
  • Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:18 PM

I've got a golden retriever I wouldn't give up for the world. He's going on nine years old. There are expenses, but he's always there when I've had a bad day and makes an excellent buddy. Unfortunately, he's getting tumors on his belly and back. I don't have the money to have them surgically removed each time :(

#27 Rebuilding2010

Rebuilding2010

Spoiled Influence

• Members
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:59 AM

Damn dog spends more on doctors visits than I do.

#28 Imanevilpoptart

Imanevilpoptart
  • Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:31 AM

I've spent over $6,000 on vet bills for one cat...and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I love my guy and he loves me. Living without pets....just not for me.

#29 Rebuilding2010

Rebuilding2010

Spoiled Influence

• Members
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:37 AM

I say I would get rid of mine, living with pets was not and is not my thing, I shouldn't have been suckered into falling for his cuteness.

But every time someone offers to take him off my hands I snarl like a mother bear. I love that dog, I think it's like having a kid at a young age (not really), you didn't ask for it, you weren't prepared for it, but dammit if that terror wasn't the best thing that ever happened to you.

#30 Daddy

Daddy
  • Members
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:35 AM

Damn dog spends more on doctors visits than I do.

LMAO!!!

#31 MarvBear

MarvBear

Administrator

• Admin
  • 46,989 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:47 AM

I am with CactusFlower in that I cannot do enough for my pets. The unconditional love they display is worth every cent. I cannot drive by a pet shop without stopping to purchase something for them, and I know they in some inane way, appreciate it...just as I know, in some inane way my loved humans don't when I do the same for them, with them it is almost as if it is expected, not that i don't love them dearly, it is just the way us humans are i suppose.

I was not a pet person. Then I met this awesome girl who owned a cat. And over the course of time the girl became my wife and the cat became part of our family. I was indifferent for a whole day - and then woke up to find the cat with her paws on my hand soundly asleep. I was doubly smitten that day. Words cannot describe the pure joy on her face when she sees us after we return from work. She lives for those moments. And sleeps with us paw-in-hand. And all she asks for is some food. Since this the momey management forum I must add that the ROI on that food/vet has been realized a million fold and I am still harvesting those gains.

Well said. I'm in awe.

#32 road2freedom

road2freedom

Bump Influence XXXII

• Members
  • 5,918 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:49 PM

I have two lab mixes - love them to death but I wont do it again. They are great dogs, but the expense and wear and tear on the house and yard is a lot to swallow, especially when I'm squeezing every available dime to pay off some debts and prepare for having a child. Both were rescues... its a shame that there are no tax deductions/credits for taking them in. I try not to focus on the financial aspects of pet ownership and I agree with others, the ROI is immeasurable - but it's a strain at times.

#33 flynn

flynn
  • Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:24 AM

I say I would get rid of mine, living with pets was not and is not my thing, I shouldn't have been suckered into falling for his cuteness.

But every time someone offers to take him off my hands I snarl like a mother bear. I love that dog, I think it's like having a kid at a young age (not really), you didn't ask for it, you weren't prepared for it, but dammit if that terror wasn't the best thing that ever happened to you.

SO TRUE!

#34 LLee

LLee
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:31 AM

we spend $30 a month for pet insurance for our dog and it covers everything over 500 per incident or illness so we never have to make a decision on saving our dogs life vs. the cost involved. he does nickle and dime us to death though but the rewards exceed the costs more than we ever thought...

#35 LogicalNoMore

LogicalNoMore
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:21 PM

Have two adopted pets...they found us...We sure werent looking...but they showed up in the nick of time. One of the pets (dog) seriously saved a family members life...One of the elder family members was having a late night seizure and the pet awoke the family...(we sleep like rocks...so that ruckus of barking was necessary!). Bottom line...we owe that Dog so much for aiding .....A year later...that precious dog got cancer...and we had a tough choice to make....Endure treatment for him or be beaten up by our family for not getting him treatment...we opted for the dog getting treated :rolleyes:
Best "Life "insurance we ever made ...costly yup....but more costly to not have our little medical doctor dog around .
He still tends to the family and makes rounds to make sure we are okay ...what more can I say...He is a member of the family . Sometimes I like knowing someone in our family got an honorary medical degree...even if it was from the Vet for commending that pup!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.