Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Animal Lovers, Beware of Ownership Costs

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 butterflywings

butterflywings

She Tries

• Members
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:02 PM

http://www.nytimes.c...me&ref=business

#2 Repairerer

Repairerer

Bump Influence Scroll Keeper IV

• Members
  • 6,342 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:04 PM

Children lovers, beware of ownership costs.

#3 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 68,274 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 09:01 PM

Children lovers, beware of ownership costs.

:lol: too bad more people do not think about the cost before starting a family.

#4 Daddy

Daddy
  • Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:44 AM

I guess this is why I never owned a pet. I couldn't see myself spending a dime on an animal that could have gone to my kids.

#5 hlburi

hlburi

Colonel Mustard

• Members
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:16 PM

my pets are my kids :dntknw:

#6 MrMut

MrMut
  • Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:43 PM

I want a pet, but this is the primary reason i don't get one. Too much $$ at the moment.

#7 HoldenMcGroin

HoldenMcGroin
  • Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:44 PM

Same. I really can't picture myself ever living any extended period of time without a dog.

It would really be a joyless life.

#8 Cactus Flower

Cactus Flower
  • Members
  • 3,578 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 02:41 AM

Same. I really can't picture myself ever living any extended period of time without a dog.

Agreed, but you can't convince people who hate animals about that, and some just do. The shelters I volunteer at are full of animals that have been rejected and discarded by so-called humans who simply gave up on them.
It doesn't cost that much to care for a pet.. food .. and most county animal care & control will offer free or discounted vaccines.
Pet ownership has benefits that are far-reaching-- but I would never encourage just anyone to "own a pet"... if you can't justify it to yourself, you are just not a good candidate.
I'm sure I could cause plenty of heart attacks if I told some of you what I spend on high quality, holistic dog food (not including the several pounds of chicken that she gets cooked for her per month)...
I do without things for myself to give her all of the comforts of life - the love she gives me back I could never repay her for...............though I sure do try.

#9 Daddy

Daddy
  • Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:48 AM

Agreed, but you can't convince people who hate animals about that, and some just do.

Let me say that just because people don't worship animals doesn't mean they hate animals.

#10 Cactus Flower

Cactus Flower
  • Members
  • 3,578 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:31 PM

Agreed, but you can't convince people who hate animals about that, and some just do.

Let me say that just because people don't worship animals doesn't mean they hate animals.

and don't assume that people who love their animals "worship" them ....

we just respect other living things and believe it taking care of the creatures that man irresponsibly puts on this earth and then won't take care of them...

#11 Not Given

Not Given
  • Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:59 PM

I started trying to keep track of every penny and what purpose it goes for so we can figure out a budget we can live with. (Completely different than the one the credit counseling course suggested.) We're trying to live out of envelopes for the time being. OMG, I've spent like $220 on cat food and supplies since Nov 1.

I can't find an emoticon for it but,
:headdesk:

#12 jazzpetals

jazzpetals
  • Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:37 PM

I am with CactusFlower in that I cannot do enough for my pets. The unconditional love they display is worth every cent. I cannot drive by a pet shop without stopping to purchase something for them, and I know they in some inane way, appreciate it...just as I know, in some inane way my loved humans don't when I do the same for them, with them it is almost as if it is expected, not that i don't love them dearly, it is just the way us humans are i suppose.

#13 LBCS

LBCS
  • Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:17 AM

I am with CactusFlower in that I cannot do enough for my pets. The unconditional love they display is worth every cent. I cannot drive by a pet shop without stopping to purchase something for them, and I know they in some inane way, appreciate it...just as I know, in some inane way my loved humans don't when I do the same for them, with them it is almost as if it is expected, not that i don't love them dearly, it is just the way us humans are i suppose.

I was not a pet person. Then I met this awesome girl who owned a cat. And over the course of time the girl became my wife and the cat became part of our family. I was indifferent for a whole day - and then woke up to find the cat with her paws on my hand soundly asleep. I was doubly smitten that day. Words cannot describe the pure joy on her face when she sees us after we return from work. She lives for those moments. And sleeps with us paw-in-hand. And all she asks for is some food. Since this the momey management forum I must add that the ROI on that food/vet has been realized a million fold and I am still harvesting those gains.

#14 Mortons

Mortons
  • Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 02:15 AM

My chihuahua baby helped me through depression. Money was much better spent than going to a million therapists and a higher dosage of lexapro.

I must say she hasnt cost me that much. She has a small monthly insurance amount and she prefers my food <_< so the dog food bill is low

#15 Daddy

Daddy
  • Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:07 PM

Question for pet owners. This has come up many times on the Dave Ramsey show:

Is there a maximum amount of money you would spend to save the life of your pet?

$100
$1000
$1,000,000

???

#16 jazzpetals

jazzpetals
  • Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:46 PM

No maximum for me. My dog doesn't withhold his love for me, I won't withhold funding to save his life, if need be.

#17 LBCS

LBCS
  • Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:51 PM

Is there a maximum amount of money you would spend to save the life of your pet?

$100
$1000
$1,000,000

???

The same amount you would spend to save the life of your child.

#18 Daddy

Daddy
  • Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:16 PM

$100
$1000
$1,000,000

???

The same amount you would spend to save the life of your child.

Oh.

#19 radi8

radi8
  • Admin
  • 27,301 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:07 AM

$100
$1000
$1,000,000

???

More than I would spend saving Dave Ramsey.

#20 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 68,274 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:36 PM

$100
$1000
$1,000,000

???

More than I would spend saving Dave Ramsey.

:clapping: :clapping: too funny.

it would be nice is ramsey would ask his callers why they thought they could afford 5 kids on 20K a year while driving new trucks and buying a house.

#21 radi8

radi8
  • Admin
  • 27,301 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:27 PM

it would be nice is ramsey would ask his callers why they thought they could afford 5 kids on 20K a year while driving new trucks ratty Trans Am's and buying a house trailer.

Fixed it for you.

#22 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 68,274 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:33 AM

it would be nice is ramsey would ask his callers why they thought they could afford 5 kids on 20K a year while driving new trucks ratty Trans Am's and buying a house trailer.

Fixed it for you.

you are bad!!!!!! no soup for you!!!!

#23 nikky

nikky
  • Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:00 AM

I have kids and I have 2 cats. My cats like to hang around me and don't talk back to me!

And as a side note, not a Dave Ramsey fan at all.

#24 nikky

nikky
  • Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:12 AM

I was not a pet person. Then I met this awesome girl who owned a cat. And over the course of time the girl became my wife and the cat became part of our family. I was indifferent for a whole day - and then woke up to find the cat with her paws on my hand soundly asleep. I was doubly smitten that day. Words cannot describe the pure joy on her face when she sees us after we return from work. She lives for those moments. And sleeps with us paw-in-hand. And all she asks for is some food. Since this the momey management forum I must add that the ROI on that food/vet has been realized a million fold and I am still harvesting those gains.

I was not a pet person either. I got my kids 2 kittens last year after years of them begging for a cat. I was nervous about it because I was NOT a cat person at all. I was worried I would not like them but I said yes and committed to care for them for the sake of my kids. It took a LOT of convincing to get my husband on board. He hated cats. Now we are both totally smitten by them. We joke they think they are puppies. They are super affectionate and sleep in our room. Its funny that the cats sleep in my room and follow me around the house when they were originally for my kids. My kids that that the cats have choosen me as their person. I don't mind :) Its funny to see how much my husband adores the cats when he was so against getting them. He now admits he was wrong. I also think that growing up with pets is such a wonderful gift to kids. My kids have learned so much about responsibility and now my teenager has become the person the neighbors ask to keep on eye on their houses and pets when they go out of town for a weekend. He walks dogs, feeds cats etc and gets paid for it.

#25 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 68,274 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:49 AM

I have kids and I have 2 cats. My cats like to hang around me and don't talk back to me!

And as a side note, not a Dave Ramsey fan at all.

:clapping: :clapping:

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.