Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Why Does ShopRite Need My Credit Card Info To Buy Liquor When I'm Paying Cash?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 67,604 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:43 PM

http://consumerist.c...aying-cash.html

#2 BBQ123

BBQ123
  • Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:07 PM

Do they actually verify the credit card # and DL # put on the form as correct?

Collecting this information is a huge liability for ShopRite. They could be liable for fraud caused by collecting this information.

Personally, I would leave the beer on the counter and walk out going to a place that isn't ridiculous.

#3 Hillbilly with Credit

Hillbilly with Credit
  • CB JAIL
  • 704 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:56 PM

Do they actually verify the credit card # and DL # put on the form as correct?

Collecting this information is a huge liability for ShopRite. They could be liable for fraud caused by collecting this information.

Personally, I would leave the beer on the counter and walk out going to a place that isn't ridiculous.

I remember "Shop Rite Liquors." Amazingly enough, it will soon be my Job to ask for I.D. at KMART when customers pay with that option. :( *Every new cashier does. Even at the Gas station, they asked to see it. Even had me take my ID OUT OF MY WALLET. Wow.

I dont know. Its enough I could get reprimanded for, i suppose. If the boss is there, or if they watch me, i will. if not, i cant see myself doing it.

Liquor with Credit? I like. :good:

#4 thelowpriceleader

thelowpriceleader
  • Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:46 PM

Get into the front end operations binder at Kmart and see what it says about credit card transactions and ID. Their operations booklet states the store is NOT ALLOWED TO ASK FOR ID.

#5 BBQ123

BBQ123
  • Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:30 PM

If you ask me for my ID at K-Mart, you won't be getting it. You will reported to MasterCard, Visa, and AmEx.

#6 Hillbilly with Credit

Hillbilly with Credit
  • CB JAIL
  • 704 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:46 AM

Get into the front end operations binder at Kmart and see what it says about credit card transactions and ID. Their operations booklet states the store is NOT ALLOWED TO ASK FOR ID.

If you ask me for my ID at K-Mart, you won't be getting it. You will reported to MasterCard, Visa, and AmEx.

From my training from the front-end cashiers at KMart: "If the card is not signed, ask for ID." "If it is a Debit card, no ID is needed." "If they say Credit, ask to see the card. If its not signed, ask to see ID."

Of course, i just dont do any of that if a manager is not around. Im still feeling out the store. my job is too easy to lose. TOO many people will work in this present environment.

If i go anonymous, do you want the Store location/ Store #/ Store ID #?
Nobody has given me an issue so far, though i have gotten a few looks. AND i had to show my ID to a chasier as a customer.

Pam made good point about the Visa/MC contracts, apparently American Express you CANT use the card unless the signed name on the back and credit receipt matches the front.

I apologize for just now seeing this, i work again in a few days and this isnt "Trade Secrets" so im just doing what im told, and happy to relate. - Your Anonymous KMart/Sears Holdings Corp. Employee.

#7 thelowpriceleader

thelowpriceleader
  • Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:29 PM

Right, if it is not signed then you would ask for ID. But under normal circumstances where the card is signed then you wouldn't ask. And Kmart's front end operations binder explicitly states under the Credit Cards section that with a signed card the store is NOT allowed to ask for ID. Kmart's register functions with a Pinpad or EFT Tender function where a single button processes payment for most card types (gift cards being the exception) so beyond handing a pen over to the customer if it prints out as credit, the keystroke to process a credit, debit, or food stamp card is the same for the cashier.

#8 BBQ123

BBQ123
  • Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:26 PM

From my training from the front-end cashiers at KMart: "If the card is not signed, ask for ID." "If it is a Debit card, no ID is needed." "If they say Credit, ask to see the card. If its not signed, ask to see ID."

Of course, i just dont do any of that if a manager is not around. Im still feeling out the store. my job is too easy to lose. TOO many people will work in this present environment.

If i go anonymous, do you want the Store location/ Store #/ Store ID #?
Nobody has given me an issue so far, though i have gotten a few looks. AND i had to show my ID to a chasier as a customer.

Pam made good point about the Visa/MC contracts, apparently American Express you CANT use the card unless the signed name on the back and credit receipt matches the front.

I apologize for just now seeing this, i work again in a few days and this isnt "Trade Secrets" so im just doing what im told, and happy to relate. - Your Anonymous KMart/Sears Holdings Corp. Employee.

AmEx cards are not transferable, so if the signature is not of the cardholder on the front of the card it shouldn't be accepted.

With Visa/MasterCard, though, a Code 10 might need to be put in in that event.

#9 Need More RWHP

Need More RWHP
  • Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:00 PM

Pay in pennies next time

#10 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 67,604 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:54 PM

Pay in pennies next time

:clapping: :clapping:

merchants love getting payment in pennies and $100 bills since they are allergic to credit cards.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.