Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

What is today's best rate?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 WFO

WFO
  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:37 AM

What is today's best rate for a 30 year mortgage? It would be for a refinance, about 78% LTV, 805 mid score with no points?

#2 Brian B The Loan Professor

Brian B The Loan Professor
  • Forum Leads
  • 9,475 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:03 AM

This will vary bank to bank and by how much the person you are using is charging you
there is really no such thing as the "Best Rate"
It will also depend on loan amount and if this is a cash out transaction
there are just too many unknowns to even guess - but somewhere between 4.25% and 4.625% is where you should be

#3 WFO

WFO
  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:05 PM

This will vary bank to bank and by how much the person you are using is charging you
there is really no such thing as the "Best Rate"
It will also depend on loan amount and if this is a cash out transaction
there are just too many unknowns to even guess - but somewhere between 4.25% and 4.625% is where you should be

Brian,

I appreciate the response! Sorry for the simple terminology, as I understand there is variables. It would not be a cash out refinance either. The reason I am asking is I started the refinance process of my house at the end of July and was locked into 4.625%. It did not close until mid September and the rates continued to fall the whole time. Now there are places advertising around here for 3.875 for a 30 year fixed with no points. The fees are advertised around $400. I am sure there is some kind of catch, because I am seeing most advertising the range you just told me. It might be too soon to refinance anyways, but if I could get into the high 3's I was going to look into it further.

Thanks again for your time!!

#4 luckydriver

luckydriver
  • Members
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:22 PM

i dont know your current mortgage but for the fun of it, ran some numbers for a 300K mortgage

4.625 is 1542
3.875 is 1410

sure if you could do that for only 400 bucks it would be worth it. but as you stated, what are the odds it's really only 400 bucks to refi? Though a 3 month breakeven point would be pretty wild :)

also i'm assuming since you are at 78% that you have no insurance so that's saving you a nice chunk of change right there

#5 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 67,583 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:54 PM

a CU I am a member of is at 4.0 for 30

#6 WFO

WFO
  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:32 PM

i dont know your current mortgage but for the fun of it, ran some numbers for a 300K mortgage

4.625 is 1542
3.875 is 1410

sure if you could do that for only 400 bucks it would be worth it. but as you stated, what are the odds it's really only 400 bucks to refi? Though a 3 month breakeven point would be pretty wild :)

also i'm assuming since you are at 78% that you have no insurance so that's saving you a nice chunk of change right there

Yeah, I am sure the $400 is just their fee. I know there will be other stuff like title insurance, appraisal, and other misc stuff. No PMI either as I put down a little over 20% when I purchased the house a couple of years ago. The LTV is higher, because the house has lost some value over the last two years. I would only save about $90 a month if I got 3.875, so the closing costs would have to be reasonable to justify it.

#7 WFO

WFO
  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:35 PM

a CU I am a member of is at 4.0 for 30

That is pretty good!! The best local credit union here is 4.375% for 30.

#8 Debt Slayer

Debt Slayer
  • Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:27 PM

BUMP

What about today? Im looking for 5/1 FHA, purchase price in the range of 160~175, EXP score 677, 0$ UTIL, couple of old baddies (about 7 yrs old but dont want to touch my CR right now..dont wake the sleeping giant)
no car payments, one student loan; $75/month

Edited by Debt Slayer, 23 February 2012 - 08:30 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.