Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Remove Late Marks on CR is Breaking the Law?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 BoostMyScore

BoostMyScore
  • Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:41 PM

I have been diligently asking for a goodwill adjustment to my CR for a few lates from Wells Fargo Home Mortgage. I got a reply back that says....

Unfortunately, we are unable to remove any past credit reporting on your account as we are required by law to report the date and manner in which your payments fairly and accurately.

So WFHM is telling me that they have NEVER removed any late marks they had previously reported on a customers CR because it would be against the law.

#2 jazzpetals

jazzpetals
  • Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:12 PM

I got the same reply from GE Money Bank for my Care Credit account. They think we are stupid enough to actually believe that.

#3 BoostMyScore

BoostMyScore
  • Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:16 AM

I am going to ask them to cite the law and explain it in detail to me.

#4 Dolemite_73

Dolemite_73
  • Members
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:58 AM

Per the FCRA, there is no requirement to report a tradeline (barring some mortgages and student loans) but what they do report must be of maximum accuracy. So if they choose to report the tradeline, it has to be accurate. So if they will not adjust the late marks, see if they will delete the tradeline.

#5 BoostMyScore

BoostMyScore
  • Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:22 AM

Wells Fargo received $25,000,000,000 from the gov in 2009 from taxpayers like me. Sadly there are thousands of homeowners defaulting on their Wells Fargo mortgages and going into foreclosure. I am current on my mortgage and am asking for a few late marks to be removed as an act of goodwill and they just sit back and tell me to piss off. Wow, what a POS company that doesn't give a crap about its' customers.

Edited by BoostMyScore, 21 October 2010 - 07:22 AM.

#6 RadioRob

RadioRob
  • Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:55 AM

Just to put this a bit further into perspective... if this was ILLEGAL, the US Dept of Education would not do this.

Their loan rehabilitation program (http://www2.ed.gov/o...bilitation.html) basically allows defaulted borrowers to wipe the slate clean after defaulting a student loan. They remove the default and all the baddies associated with it.

(I know it works as well because I did this myself.)

The reporting bureaus have rules that say you should not remove accurate info, but there is nothing in the LAW that says you have to report negative info... only that you report ACCURATE info.

#7 Rebuilding2010

Rebuilding2010

Spoiled Influence

• Members
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:03 AM

Wells Fargo received $25,000,000,000 from the gov in 2009 from taxpayers like me. Sadly there are thousands of homeowners defaulting on their Wells Fargo mortgages and going into foreclosure. I am current on my mortgage and am asking for a few late marks to be removed as an act of goodwill and they just sit back and tell me to piss off. Wow, what a POS company that doesn't give a crap about its' customers.

I understand the frustrution, I was in the same boat with Wells Fargo myself, but you can't really get upset at them for not doing something they're not obligated to do. Like you said it is a gw gesture. What you should be upset about is the things they tell you just to get you off the phone, like that it's against the law, although as someone pointed out earlier, it kind of is, legally they could just delete the tradeline though. I guess in your case they can't because it's not technically closed. idk. I just trip out on people getting pissed off at some things, like if Lindsay Lohan was to get upset that she was going to jail when she broke probation.

Not trying to start a fight here just expressing my opinion. To contribute to the conversation though, can I suggest doing a 623 to see if that would get it off? Or does that not apply to mortgages?

#8 tiggerlgh

tiggerlgh
  • Members
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:46 AM

Yeah and they paid that money back plus interest so you as a Taxpayer made money off that transaction. As stated in this post this is Goodwill gesture that they don't have to do. They are obligated to report your mortgage correctly and it sounds like they are.

#9 BoostMyScore

BoostMyScore
  • Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:51 AM

I haven't tried a 623 letter yet. After doing a little reading, I don't think the 623 excludes mortgage accounts. After trying a GW to WFHM and disputing the late's with the CRA's, I feel nothing is going to get these late's removed.

I can now see that my goal to cleanup my CR in order to sell my home and purchase a different home next year is an utter waste of time.

Nelnet and Wells Fargo can both go eat you know what together. I hate both of these companies. An yes I don't apologize for being pissed off at both of them for their inability to treat a customer like a human being.

#10 BoostMyScore

BoostMyScore
  • Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:53 AM

Yeah and they paid that money back plus interest so you as a Taxpayer made money off that transaction. As stated in this post this is Goodwill gesture that they don't have to do. They are obligated to report your mortgage correctly and it sounds like they are.

Exactly how have I made money off that transaction? And yes it is a Goodwill gesture that WFHM has no intent to partake in that gesture.

Edited by BoostMyScore, 21 October 2010 - 09:54 AM.

#11 Rebuilding2010

Rebuilding2010

Spoiled Influence

• Members
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:19 AM

Well technically, the same way you claim to have been charged for that transaction. They money was taken out of your taxes to support XYZ government issues, the government lent out that money, received it back with interest (I don't know if that's true, I don't know the details of the bailouts) so government now has more money than they had before to use for XYZ issues.

#12 BoostMyScore

BoostMyScore
  • Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:31 AM

And where would WFHM be if the taxpayers didn't bail them out? Never mind, it's not worth the words.

#13 GoHooterGo

GoHooterGo
  • Members
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:31 AM

The big reason why most companies do not want to remove lates is because they are all in the same business.

Lending credit. If every company removed our negative remarks per request, then Credit evaluation would be near impossible, and more risk to lending credit.

But here, we are all for trying to find ways around it! :D

I'd suggest a 623 Letter. BY LAW, they have to respond within 30 Days. Now the law is on your side, lol.

#14 tiggerlgh

tiggerlgh
  • Members
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:32 AM

Well technically, the same way you claim to have been charged for that transaction. They money was taken out of your taxes to support XYZ government issues, the government lent out that money, received it back with interest (I don't know if that's true, I don't know the details of the bailouts) so government now has more money than they had before to use for XYZ issues.

+1

Staying away from the political discussion, Just stating the facts the government so far has earned 8.2% on the TARP funds.

I don't understand why the OP is so upset thet WFHM won't remove their legit lates. Credit reports are supposed to show the borrowers payment history. I am all for correcting reports and making sure they are accurate, but I don't see why people get so upset when they did miss payments and they are shown on their reports

#15 Rebuilding2010

Rebuilding2010

Spoiled Influence

• Members
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:43 AM

I'm all for correcting reports AND getting some accurate but derogatory information off of those reports if you can, but if you can't you can't get upset, the fact of the matter was that it was your fault.

BUT having said that, I was just as pissed when wells told me the same thing they told him, but for a charge off. It took me a few months to accept the fact that whatever reason they give, they dont have to do anything other than report accurately and that's what they're doing, even if it does hurt me.

#16 forbiddenlove

forbiddenlove
  • Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:02 PM

So when you get a response to a GW letter that says that "deleting lates would be breaking the law"....how can you respond back that tells the company that they're not breaking the law and if they'd rather delete the tradeline, they can.

How would you word it?

#17 MarvBear

MarvBear

Administrator

• Admin
  • 46,950 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:28 PM

That was probably a typical response from the lender, that's basically an automated type reply. Which is basically accurate.

One of the finer arts in credit repair, is learn how to phrase your disputes, and know enough so you don't always get the brush off letter.

OP asked for a goodwill adjustment, lender declined.

Mount your attack from another angle.

#18 Sleepless

Sleepless
  • Bloggers
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:14 PM

That was probably a typical response from the lender, that's basically an automated type reply. Which is basically accurate.

One of the finer arts in credit repair, is learn how to phrase your disputes, and know enough so you don't always get the brush off letter.

OP asked for a goodwill adjustment, lender declined.

Mount your attack from another angle.

I love this board.

You may not get the answer you want but it is always astute information. Always.

If people are looking for a quick fix, this is not the place. But if you are really willing to put in the time and effort to LEARN the right way to handle credit issues you will go far and be successful over the long term.

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

By Sleepless in Sleepless, on 11 February 2011 - 10:17 PM

I love this board.You may not get the answer you want but it is always astute information. Always.If people are looking for a quick fix, this is not the place. But if you are really willing to put in the time and effort to LEARN the right way to handle credit issues you will go far and be successful over the long term.Source: Remove Late Marks on CR is Br...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.