Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Firemen ignore burning house over unpaid fee

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
336 replies to this topic

#151 Snork Maiden

Snork Maiden

Mouthy Russian

• Members
  • 838 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:22 AM

OK, I have had time to ponder, and time to research.

I fully blame the County for this ridiculousness. - not particularly this specific case...but their emergency services in general.is no county service considering that greater than 1/3 of the population live in rural areas.

But they do offer it. For a $75 fee, don't they?

You can still help. I'm sure it won't be long before they'll publish an address to which you can send your generous contribution.

Word. Did the dude ever get in trouble for punching the fire chief or whoever he punched? They might also need court fees. :rofl:

#152 hlburi

hlburi

Colonel Mustard

• Members
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:33 AM

Why did the fire department show up?

They showed up to protect the homes that DID pay and make sure they didn't get burned.

I have no sympathy for the jackass.

I do, I can't help it. It's how I'm wired I guess. :blush:

Yes, he was stupid not to pay the fee and I think there should be consequences. I like the idea of putting a lien against the home. But there is no way in this world I could stand by and watch my neighbors house burn down, if I had the means to stop it, and not want to do something, anything about it. I don't know how anyone could be that cold. I guess I want to save people from themselves, I don't know. lol

grab a bucket then, I guess. :dntknw:

#153 orangecrush

orangecrush

Goddess of the Jacksonville Tourism Bureau

• Members
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:29 PM

I do, I can't help it. It's how I'm wired I guess. :blush:

Yes, he was stupid not to pay the fee and I think there should be consequences. I like the idea of putting a lien against the home. But there is no way in this world I could stand by and watch my neighbors house burn down, if I had the means to stop it, and not want to do something, anything about it. I don't know how anyone could be that cold. I guess I want to save people from themselves, I don't know. lol

You are wired crazy and we are gonna toughen you up, even if it kills you.

#154 Nemeweh

Nemeweh

Official CB Party Planner

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:30 PM

BFW,you're so nice. You can come live on The Compound. I'm willing to bet you will work hard AND not try to feast on me. These other wenches though, I suspect would be eyeballin my Gluts like they was potato Dumplins. :rofl:

#155 hlburi

hlburi

Colonel Mustard

• Members
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:38 PM

BFW,you're so nice. You can come live on The Compound. I'm willing to bet you will work hard AND not try to feast on me. These other wenches though, I suspect would be eyeballin my Gluts like they was potato Dumplins. :rofl:

If we go down in the Andes, it's every man, woman and chitlin for themselves!!! :rofl:

#156 orangecrush

orangecrush

• Members
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:41 PM

If we go down in the Andes, it's every man, woman and chitlin for themselves!!! :rofl:

It doesn't even have to be that serious for me. I just need to be hungry and too lazy to go grocery shopping. :rofl:

#157 blackberry74

blackberry74
  • Members
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:45 PM

It doesn't even have to be that serious for me. I just need to be hungry and too lazy to go grocery shopping. :rofl:

Y'all sure y'all want Nem's potato dumplin' glutes? 'Cuz she already confessed to not washing them sometimes, I'm just saying. :rofl:

#158 hlburi

hlburi

Colonel Mustard

• Members
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:46 PM

Hey...if you're hungry enough!!! :lol:

#159 blackberry74

blackberry74
  • Members
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:47 PM

Well...just make sure you cook thoroughly. Enough heat should sear the dirt right on off. :rofl:

#160 Nemeweh

Nemeweh

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:49 PM

Y'all sure y'all want Nem's potato dumplin' glutes? 'Cuz she already confessed to not washing them sometimes, I'm just saying. :rofl:

You know you :wub: you some Eau de Nem. :grin: :rofl:

#161 orangecrush

orangecrush

• Members
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:50 PM

:rofl: :rofl:

#162 hlburi

hlburi

Colonel Mustard

• Members
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:51 PM

OC, I love your siggy. That could be mine!

#163 blackberry74

blackberry74
  • Members
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:51 PM

I want no parts of the Eau de Nem! :rofl:

#164 Nemeweh

Nemeweh

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:52 PM

I want no parts of the Eau de Nem! :rofl:

Sure you do... it's like Crack Cocaine I hear. Everybody loves Crack (eventually).

#165 Pam

Pam

Site Owner

• Admin
  • 12,097 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:02 PM

I am so frightened by the turn this thread has taken. :swoon:

#166 hlburi

hlburi

Colonel Mustard

• Members
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:08 PM

I am so frightened by the turn this thread has taken. :swoon:

:rofl:

#167 orangecrush

orangecrush

• Members
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:10 PM

Sure you do... it's like Crack Cocaine I hear. Everybody loves Crack (eventually).

I don't know what you are hocked up on, but you need to quit. :rofl:

#168 random42

random42
  • Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:16 PM

How many of you actually donate to your local fire/EMS department even though you are not required to pay any extra assessment fees?

I always throw money in the boot and thank them for their service ;) Not much, but then I don't make much.

I'm glad you posted. I think alot of people don't realize how much the specialized training and equipment to fight fires costs.

This WAS a life-or-death experience, that being, the potential life or death of the firemen who ran out there in the first place. Even a small fire can be extremely dangerous to fight. These firemen would have exposed themselves to potential burns, smoke inhalation, possibly collapsing buildings, if they fought it or went in there to save a cat. Suppose a fireman was injured? The homeowner didn't pay for fire service, so that fireman choose to go in outside of the purview of his job, workmans comp DENIED and he pays the medical out of his pocket.

Its alot more complicated than firemen being a-holes over $75.

#169 orangecrush

orangecrush

• Members
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:22 PM

I don't care if the only equipment the fire department has is a keg of beer, for the firemen to drink, (so they can put fires out with their piss and use their penises instead of hoses). They need to be paid and not after the fact. Why risk their life for a sniveling monkey-chucker who would probably stiff them afterward?

#170 Bad Doctor Frost

Bad Doctor Frost

Audi-mobile guy

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:30 PM

I don't care if the only equipment the fire department has is a keg of beer, for the firemen to drink, (so they can put fires out with their piss and use their penises instead of hoses). They need to be paid and not after the fact. Why risk their life for a sniveling monkey-chucker who would probably stiff them afterward?

I don't have a source, but I just read on another board that this is the 2nd fire at the home. First fire, he told them he'd "pay afterward" and, well, looks like he didn't. Fool me once and all that jazz.

#171 hlburi

hlburi

Colonel Mustard

• Members
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:34 PM

I don't care if the only equipment the fire department has is a keg of beer, for the firemen to drink, (so they can put fires out with their piss and use their penises instead of hoses).

Great! Now this image is burned into my brain! :swoon:

#172 zx10 guy

zx10 guy
  • Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:04 PM

How many of you actually donate to your local fire/EMS department even though you are not required to pay any extra assessment fees?

I always throw money in the boot and thank them for their service ;) Not much, but then I don't make much.

I'm glad you posted. I think alot of people don't realize how much the specialized training and equipment to fight fires costs.

This WAS a life-or-death experience, that being, the potential life or death of the firemen who ran out there in the first place. Even a small fire can be extremely dangerous to fight. These firemen would have exposed themselves to potential burns, smoke inhalation, possibly collapsing buildings, if they fought it or went in there to save a cat. Suppose a fireman was injured? The homeowner didn't pay for fire service, so that fireman choose to go in outside of the purview of his job, workmans comp DENIED and he pays the medical out of his pocket.

Thanks for your reply and understanding. Yes, many people don't understand what it takes to actually have a single person fireman, medic, or EMT show up to a call in regards to all the training hours, equipment, and monetary costs. The EMT-B training class which is usually a requirement for all EMS personnel costs a few thousand per person. Then the class has a set number of hours which when I did weekends only took me 6 months. This is in addition to 8 hours of ER observation rotation time. Once you get past EMT-B training, you either branch off to fire fighter or paramedic training. I don't know how much time is required for the fire fighter classes, but the paramedic training takes a year to complete along with ER and in field mentored time. Plus there are other training classes one may elect to take to help enhance their ability to do their job like BTLS and EVOC.

You're very perceptive about the workman's comp issue here. If these fire fighters chose to ignore orders and were injured, I would bet there would be issues getting any kind of benefits. The issue here gets greyer when the fire fighters are volunteer and not career. You are also right about small hazards which can present themselves even in a small fire. Many people don't know many of the various chemicals used daily they keep in their house have a potential of being a ticking time bomb. Even the construction of houses can be a factor. Do many of you all know that the advances in construction materials/techniques such as the composite I-beams used in many modern homes presents a significant hazard in a fire situation? The problem with these I-beams is the OSB used in the center of the beam. It's great where the strength of the beam can be same or better than a regular solid wood floor joist for less weight and being straighter. But put a fire on it and when the integrity of the OSB breaks down, there's no warning when the beam catastrophically fails.

While it's easy to sit back and say you'll do such and such in a particular dangerous event, it's another to be able to actually do it. If people were so easily able to back up their words to throw caution to the wind and just jump in to help someone, we (the EMS community) would have less of an issue getting volunteers. I know at my station we had a big issue getting in additional volunteers to help sufficiently man our apparatus'. There were times when a call almost got scratched because we didn't have the crew available to roll a unit out. Here is a sample of my personal commitment I gave when I volunteered. I had to do 60 hours a month as an active duty member. I had to pick a duty night which spanned from 1800 hours to the following morning at 0600 hours. There were times I got maybe 2-3 hours of sleep and not all of it at the same time. After being on duty all night, I went to my full time job. In addition, to the regular duty night, we were required to rotate weekend shifts. Every third weekend, I had to report with the rest of my duty night crew. If it was a Saturday rotation, we were on duty from 1200 on Saturday to 0800 on Sunday. Sunday rotations were better as there wasn't as large of my weekend lost since the rotation began 0800 on Sunday morning to 1800 Sunday night. But there is a catch. I can't have any alcoholic drinks 6 hours prior to reporting on duty. So Saturday night festivities had to be held in check. These duty requirements are on top of my required training at the academy along with in station training/check offs to be qualified at a certain level. I did this for just over 3 years before I moved so far away from the station that I couldn't feasibly do it any more without losing my sanity. And this is not counting the 4 years I put in as an EMT while in college. So again, I say it's easy for someone to say they'll do something from the comfort of their arm chair.

#173 Islandgal

Islandgal

Island Dreamer

• Members
  • 6,506 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:13 PM

Thanks for your reply and understanding. Yes, many people don't understand what it takes to actually have a single person fireman, medic, or EMT show up to a call in regards to all the training hours, equipment, and monetary costs. The EMT-B training class which is usually a requirement for all EMS personnel costs a few thousand per person. Then the class has a set number of hours which when I did weekends only took me 6 months. This is in addition to 8 hours of ER observation rotation time. Once you get past EMT-B training, you either branch off to fire fighter or paramedic training. I don't know how much time is required for the fire fighter classes, but the paramedic training takes a year to complete along with ER and in field mentored time. Plus there are other training classes one may elect to take to help enhance their ability to do their job like BTLS and EVOC.

You're very perceptive about the workman's comp issue here. If these fire fighters chose to ignore orders and were injured, I would bet there would be issues getting any kind of benefits.

My friend was injured helping to lift a 600lb+ man out of a house that was on fire..even with 6-8 fireman helping..he still ended up with major injuries to his back..he's been off work for 6 months..but at least he's still getting benefits

#174 breeze

breeze

Site Owners & FC XXXVIII <3

• Admin
  • 47,003 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:00 PM

OK, I've seen this on umpteen forums today. First, if you read the whole story, the house is in a county that does not offer fire protection. So, in reality there is no fire department there. A nearby city, says "although we are not required to cover you people out in the county, we will, if you pay a subscriber's fee of $75 each year."

#175 brazen

brazen

Thing Two

• Forum Leads
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:12 PM

OK, I've seen this on umpteen forums today. First, if you read the whole story, the house is in a county that does not offer fire protection. So, in reality there is no fire department there. A nearby city, says "although we are not required to cover you people out in the county, we will, if you pay a subscriber's fee of $75 each year."

t.h.i.s.

It is like expecting insurance to cover your car when you don't pay premiums, doh.

In the town I lived in in AK, anything more then two miles outside of the boroughs limits, you darn well better figure out how to put the fire out yourself.

Hope the homeowner has good insurance.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.