Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

How many retailers actually ask for ID?

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 Hillbilly with Credit

Hillbilly with Credit
  • CB JAIL
  • 704 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:53 PM

Yeah, they are supposed to. Yeah some would refuse to show it and either need to see a Manager (who would just say "Its policy, I need to see it") or pay cash, or lose the sale... when they went in there to buy something...

But how many actually do it?

Edited by Hillbilly with Credit, 08 September 2010 - 05:12 PM.

#2 theD43

theD43
  • Members
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:55 PM

i never been ask, knock on wood

#3 BoostMyScore

BoostMyScore
  • Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:57 PM

Hardly ever. In fact, I let my wife use my debit card all the time and she is never asked.

#4 jtoast

jtoast
  • Members
  • 3,353 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:03 PM

Pretty much any store that doesn't let me swipe my own card seems to want to see my ID. Its annoying as hell. Thankfully more and more stores seem to be going to the self swipe style machines.

#5 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 68,309 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:40 PM

Yeah, they are supposed to.

for credit card purchases? generally speaking, no they are not

#6 taxwizard

taxwizard
  • Members
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:13 PM

+1 (Agree with Hegemony )

#7 RadioRob

RadioRob
  • Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:16 PM

When someone asks to see my ID, I always personally have said THANK YOU to the person.

I have no problem proving I am who I say I am. (Though you have to be pretty desperate to want to try and be me most days...)

#8 cmoz

cmoz
  • Members
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:44 PM

Is it overly dramatic to handle the card to show it to the asking clerk, but not letting him or her touch it, citing sanitary reasons? Or handing over the card only with the condition that they provide instant hand-sanitizer to disinfect mudges/handprints they caused by touching your card?

Hope this movement is not overboard. Sometimes I dream of whipping out my own counterfeit detection pen to verify those $20 bills given to me as change by store clerks. Cliche as it is, let the gander eat it too!

Health phreaks, germinators, hand-sanitizerists... reunite and just say no!

#9 RadioRob

RadioRob
  • Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:49 PM

Or just carry your own bottle. I was just at VMworld in San Francisco, and in all of my schwag, I got a bottle that can be refilled and attached to a keyring.

Talk about on-demand sanitizer. :cry2:

#10 ARCO

ARCO
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:01 PM

Yeah, they are supposed to.

for credit card purchases? generally speaking, no they are not

+2 agree with Hege and Tax.

If you read the Visa and Mastercard terms and conditions they give to the retailers, they are not allowed to turn away consumers should they not show their I.D. While some states have laws to go around this, you can still report to Visa or MC and they will take internal measures, if they will or not, that's another Q.

Is it overly dramatic to handle the card to show it to the asking clerk, but not letting him or her touch it, citing sanitary reasons? Or handing over the card only with the condition that they provide instant hand-sanitizer to disinfect mudges/handprints they caused by touching your card?

Hope this movement is not overboard. Sometimes I dream of whipping out my own counterfeit detection pen to verify those $20 bills given to me as change by store clerks. Cliche as it is, let the gander eat it too!

Health phreaks, germinators, hand-sanitizerists... reunite and just say no!

Love this post!!!

Hahaha. I'm not a germ freak or anything, but just like to.... (you know what) with businesses when they ask to look at and touch my I.D. when not needing to. I'm gonna use this from now on.

Good one.

#11 Hillbilly with Credit

Hillbilly with Credit
  • CB JAIL
  • 704 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:01 PM

But.. they do! They say, "Credit or Debit." (They wait for response.) Then, if for credit, at certain retailers, they say "May I see your ID, please."

Why do they do that if they are not supposed to? I promise, certain retailers will decline the sale if you dont..

Edited by Hillbilly with Credit, 08 September 2010 - 07:01 PM.

#12 ARCO

ARCO
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:03 PM

Or just carry your own bottle. I was just at VMworld in San Francisco, and in all of my schwag, I got a bottle that can be refilled and attached to a keyring.

Talk about on-demand sanitizer. :)

I used to have one of those too due to the swine flu bs. Unfortunately, I forgot to close the cap and it spoiled my pockets making it look like I....

#13 Hillbilly with Credit

Hillbilly with Credit
  • CB JAIL
  • 704 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:05 PM

Talk about on-demand sanitizer. :P

making it look like I....

:P :D :)

Edited by Hillbilly with Credit, 08 September 2010 - 07:05 PM.

#14 Pam

Pam

Site Owner

• Admin
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:05 PM

But.. they do! They say, "Credit or Debit." (They wait for response.) Then, if for credit, at certain retailers, they say "May I see your ID, please."

Why do they do that if they are not supposed to? I promise, certain retailers will decline the sale if you dont..

Because the $7.25/hour clerks don't know that they aren't supposed to. And the accounting guy on the 8th floor of the corporate building didn't see fit to read the fine print in their contracts with their Visa/MC processor; or pay attention in corporate meetings. So, when some dimwit said "Let's make this a policy", there was no one paying attention to say "oh. uhm. we can't do that, there's a clause in our merchant agreement that says we can't".

To answer your question, I get asked a lot. It depends on my mood whether I agree or not, and whether or not I attempt to educate is also dependent upon my mood.

#15 RadioRob

RadioRob
  • Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:06 PM

Talk about on-demand sanitizer. :D

I used to have one of those too due to the swine flu bs. Unfortunately, I forgot to close the cap and it spoiled my pockets making it look like I....

At least you could tell anyone who looked at you funny "I bet mine is cleaner than yours!" :)

#16 ARCO

ARCO
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:24 PM

Talk about on-demand sanitizer. :D

At least you could tell anyone who looked at you funny "I bet mine is cleaner than yours!" :)

Hahaha, isn't that the truth. Common, have a smell, you'll see I'm telling the truth.

#17 mordaane

mordaane
  • Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:59 PM

Military Exchanges every time. Its policy. ID is required for proof of privileges. Not only that...the authorized user must pay with funds in his/her name. You can't use your best friend's card to pay with and etc.

Frankly, its not a big deal. The only time I see folks upset are the ones trying to break or get around these rules.

#18 Pam

Pam

Site Owner

• Admin
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:29 PM

Military Exchanges every time. Its policy. ID is required for proof of privileges. Not only that...the authorized user must pay with funds in his/her name. You can't use your best friend's card to pay with and etc.

Frankly, its not a big deal. The only time I see folks upset are the ones trying to break or get around these rules.

That's a whole different scenario. And not really relevant. You're not showing ID to use your credit card (unless it's a Star card), but rather to use the store. OP is asking about showing ID in order to use a credit card.

#19 gabbyraja

gabbyraja
  • Members
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:54 PM

I use dh's cards all the time and I'm never asked. However, tried to get his watch battery at Kay Jewelers with his new card last week and they refused because I was not the card holder. First time EVER!

Our USPS insists that your card be signed. They will not ask for ID, or allow it to prove you are you. If it's not signed you can't use it. That was the first I'd ever heard of that... I prefer not to sign my cards. I don't understand how that makes it any safer, since it would only allow a thief to impersonate your signature and make it harder to prove to your cc company that it was not you that made the purchase...?

#20 dd50

dd50
  • Members
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:42 PM

When they do I tell them "NO" but you can check my signature. The ones that get nasty with me I do report.

#21 ARCO

ARCO
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:03 PM

That's a whole different scenario. And not really relevant. You're not showing ID to use your credit card (unless it's a Star card), but rather to use the store. OP is asking about showing ID in order to use a credit card.

:(

Yup, its not about store privilege like Costco. The OP's question was only about using a credit card where the issuer (MC/Visa) stated no I.D. is necessary for use.

#22 lilc4247

lilc4247
  • Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:22 PM

I use dh's cards all the time and I'm never asked. However, tried to get his watch battery at Kay Jewelers with his new card last week and they refused because I was not the card holder. First time EVER!

Our USPS insists that your card be signed. They will not ask for ID, or allow it to prove you are you. If it's not signed you can't use it. That was the first I'd ever heard of that... I prefer not to sign my cards. I don't understand how that makes it any safer, since it would only allow a thief to impersonate your signature and make it harder to prove to your cc company that it was not you that made the purchase...?

read the back of any cc, it will say "authorized signature- not valid unless signed". Dout signing makes it any safer but TECHNICALLY, its no good w/o a sig :rolleyes:

#23 xelda

xelda
  • Members
  • 739 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:24 PM

Your card isn't a legal instrument until it's been signed. See how it says "Void if not signed" right above the signature box. And when the signature box starts to rub off because the card is getting worn out, "Void" will appear.

#24 radi8

radi8
  • Admin
  • 27,311 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:33 AM

...Yet when I sign my receipt "Dick Nixon", the self-appointed Fraud Hawks never notice. B)

#25 shadow2k

shadow2k
  • Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:45 AM

I haven't been asked for ID for probably the last two years or so? Whenever they stopped making us sign for purchases under $25 is the last time I can recall being asked for ID.

My friends and I often lend our cards to each other to go pick up lunch. Sometimes they'll make us sign, and usually we just scribble something on the sig line. Sometimes we sign our own names, sometimes the cardholders. I don't think anybody really cares enough to check the smaller, everyday purchases.

On the rare occasion I'm made to actually sign a receipt, and they try and check it vs the sig line...well, there isn't one on an Amex Blue Cash. Plus it is clear, so they flip it back and forth a few times trying to figure it out, and then just hand it back to me as if they weren't looking for it in the first place.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.