Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Help with project

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 MarvBear

MarvBear

Velvet Hammer

• Admin
  • 47,846 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:25 PM

Alberta	AB
British Columbia	BC
Manitoba	MB
New Brunswick	NB
Newfoundland and Labrador	NL
Northwest Territories	NT
Nova Scotia	NS
Nunavut	NU
Ontario	ON
Prince Edward Island	PE
Quebec	QC
Saskatchewan	SK
Yukon	YT

Working on a small project. Can you Canadians verify for me that I have listed all the provinces and their proper abbreviations.?

I also need example of whatever Canada uses that is synonomous with our American Zip Code. Ours is purely numeric format. What is the format for Canadians.?

#2 Handsome Rob

Handsome Rob
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:29 PM

Abbreviations are correct to the best of my knowledge, I'm out west though.

Postal code format is:

Letter-Number-Letter Number-Letter-Number

#3 Quasei2

Quasei2
  • Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:31 PM

Looks right to me.

#4 MarvBear

MarvBear

Velvet Hammer

• Admin
  • 47,846 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:41 PM

So your postal code has one more character that I need to allow for than our American Zip Code, in addition to be alpha-numeric.

I don't think any of the abbreviations for the Provinces conflict with our State Abbreviations from my quick look thru?

Verify please?

and

I truly appreciate the help.

#5 Stu.Padaso

Stu.Padaso
  • Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:51 AM

Looks good to me, although I had to look up Quebec because I was always taught it was PQ, which I continue to use it to this day. Just shows how old I am.

The postal code is supposed to have a space between the 2 sets of letters/numbers, like Rob said "letter number letter SPACE number letter number" making a total of 7 characters. But a lot of online forms and stuff don't like a space so it's eliminated.

I'm going out on a limb and guessing this might be for adding Canada to the credit pulls database. If so, is there any type of security concerns if we add in our info? The reason I ask is the Canadian postal code system can be very precise (I'm unsure how the American zip code works, so I can't compare the two). For example, in my case my specific postal code right now is shared by only 4 other houses, and I once lived in a 6 unit apartment building that had it's own unique postal code.

Anyways, where I live right now it wouldn't take much to find out my exact street address if my postal code became known.

I'm not overly concerned and not really the paranoid type. I'm just throwing that out there, that's all.

#6 MarvBear

MarvBear

Velvet Hammer

• Admin
  • 47,846 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:32 AM

The security concerns are valid. That's why I'm asking these questions. Our field for zip code is optional, and the American Zip code is not terribly precise other than a general location. It would still be optional, and if security an issue one could always XXX the portion of the code that specifically identifies the residence location as long as we allow for optional input and a combination of alpha numeric input.

The goal is to capture just enough information to be beneficial to our members, without being invasive, and again contributions to the data are always voluntary. Even in the existing data base the zip code field is a voluntary field, it's not data constrained to force entry prior to acceptance.

I appreciate the contributions. I am in the process of developing a temporary workaround, and I need your folks input to make it right.

TY

#7 sdexceed

sdexceed
  • Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:43 PM

Information about Canadian Postal Codes:

While US Zip Codes tend to be quite general in terms of their matching locations, Canadian Postal Codes generally have multiple variations, frequently on the last 3 digits, for each city, county, etc.

#8 Quasei2

Quasei2
  • Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:48 PM

How about only require the first 3 characters of our postal code? That's specific enough to give province and region, but not enough to drill down to an exact address. Like Stu, my post code IS specific to my building.

Really liking that we're getting our own pulls list. Yay!

#9 MarvBear

MarvBear

Velvet Hammer

• Admin
  • 47,846 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:30 PM

ttt

#10 Stu.Padaso

Stu.Padaso
  • Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:07 AM

Can I ask a possibly stupid question? Why even use postal codes? I know it isn't necessary to input, so why even bother?

The reason I'm asking, and maybe Quasei can shed more light on this since she's in the banking industry, is don't the major CC issuers have a standard for approvals/denials for anyone from coast to coast? I know all apps go to their head office which in most cases is based in Toronto.

What I'm trying to say, for example, is a single guy in Edmonton making 50k, couple of old 30-day lates, 2 CCs, 0 inqs, but otherwise a clean record has the same chance of approval/denial as another single guy, living in Halifax making 50k, couple of old 30-day lates, 2 CCs, 0 inqs, but also an otherwise clean record. I don't think we Canadians are as regionalized when it comes to credit applications, at least not to the extent that it appears the Americans are.

If that is correct, why not just simply add Canada as another name in the pull-down list of states and be done with it? Or at the very least add the provinces/territories inside the exist list of US states. (I see that a lot lately....I've learned that Ontario comes after Ohio.)

Maybe I completely missed the point of postal codes and this post sounds really dumb. If so, just tell me I'm an idiot. I was married once. I'm used to it.

edit...cleaned it a bit.

Edited by Stu.Padaso, 20 August 2010 - 10:09 AM.

#11 Quasei2

Quasei2
  • Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:21 PM

Actually, Stu, I disagree. I think we are far more regionalized in terms of approvals than in the US - particularly if it's drilled down to method of application (ie online, branch, phone, kiosk, special event). In the example you gave, the person in Edmonton would be seen as a much bigger risk than in Halifax. Some banks will auto decline for particular demographics in a particular region or require extra documentation from someone in a specific demographic/region.

I think it would give us a cleaner picture and progression to see our Canadian list separated from the US list. I'm a stats/numbers kind of person though so I tend to get excited and squeal over this sort of data! haha!

#12 Stu.Padaso

Stu.Padaso
  • Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:27 PM

Okay. I stand corrected. Thanks for the info Quasei. I never realized that. I learned something today, so it paid to get out of bed.

I too am a stats kind of person (sports mostly to be perfectly honest, but all types of other things...and regional credit risks and things of that nature as well would interest me).

So why would the guy in Edmonton be a bigger risk? I'm curious now. Is it just the economics of the region? Or are there other reasons?

#13 Quasei2

Quasei2
  • Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:15 PM

It would be regional economics. 50K in Edmonton doesn't go nearly as far as 50K in Halifax. Plus also regional rates of delinquencies.

#14 Stu.Padaso

Stu.Padaso
  • Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:37 PM

Okay. I'm an idiot. Guess I didn't think that thru, did I. :blush:

Edited by Stu.Padaso, 20 August 2010 - 03:38 PM.

#15 sdexceed

sdexceed
  • Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:27 PM

Okay. I'm an idiot. Guess I didn't think that thru, did I. :lol:

Don't beat yourself up too much Stu.

#16 MarvBear

MarvBear

Velvet Hammer

• Admin
  • 47,846 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:19 PM

Here in the States, the preferred bureau is determined by zip code.

I am working on an interim solution for ya'll.

#17 Stu.Padaso

Stu.Padaso
  • Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:32 PM

I'll add all of mine the minute you get it up and running Marv. I'm sure I can still remember the specifics...or are least be very close.

Will we be required to choose a CBR? Because when I applied and was approved for my TD Visa they did no credit check whatsoever. Same with the US$ Visa earlier this year - no credit check. They just looked at my banking profile and preapproved my apps presumably based on their own internal scoring system.

#18 breeze

breeze

Site Owners & FC XXXVIII <3

• Admin
  • 47,757 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:18 PM

You have a notepad in your control panel - you can save information there, if you want to use it later. I do it all the time - stuff I want to go back and check at a later date, someone's name, etc. Just remember to click "update" or whatever it is that saves the info.

As far as collecting lots of info, if the info about the Canadian creditpulls database gets around, you will get a lot of input and build a nice database. We even had people stealing the entire database, and then trying to sell access to it. :rofl: Valuable stuff.

#19 MarvBear

MarvBear

Velvet Hammer

• Admin
  • 47,846 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:18 PM

As a temporary solution I am re-opening the original yahoo group creditpulls.

The link will be in my signature. It is not a public group.

I am currently working on designing the data entry tables that will accept the input and then post to a new table of information in the yahoo group creditpulls database that will be designed specifically for our Canadian neighbors and Territories of the United States.

New members to the group require approval before joining, so please be patient if there is a slight delay as I go about my daily affairs.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.