Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Full Circle!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Quasei2

Quasei2
  • Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:01 AM

On a whim the other night I decided to try an app for Scotiabank as it's my arch nemesis in my credit rebuilding journey. I'd been told previously that Nov 2010 would be the earliest a credit account could be opened in my name with Scotia. Imagine my surprise and excitement this morning when I opened up my messages to find that I'd been approved for a $2500 limit. Stu, I'm fully understanding your feeling with conquering Amex!

With this new approval I'm definitely going to roll one of my CIBC cards into a line of credit. There's no way I need this much credit available to me so I will also be lowering my limit on my AMEX card - which incidentally doesn't report to my EQ report.

#2 breeze

breeze

Site Owners & FC XXXVIII <3

• Admin
  • 47,272 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:25 PM

Congratulations!!

#3 Stu.Padaso

Stu.Padaso
  • Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:57 PM

Good for you Quasei.

Don't forget. If you want online access to the account they need to give you a debit card (no bank account needed) and tie it into the Visa.

So which Scotia card did you get? The no-fee cashback? The Gold Visa? Just curious....

Not trying to bring you down, but do you notice that Scotia has some of the ugliest Visas in the country? My Momentum Visa is pretty damn ugly. It doesn't look too bad on the website, but in person it looks kind of dumb.

Edited by Stu.Padaso, 07 August 2010 - 12:58 PM.

#4 Quasei2

Quasei2
  • Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 04:45 PM

Haha! Yip I've got an account with them already so I've already got the online banking set up and use it frequently.

For now I've got the No Fee Value visa for the 1.99% BT rate for 9 months. In October I'm going to split $500 off to make a Momentum card so that I can take advantage of the 3 stmts @ 2% right in time for the holidays since I'll give my sister an additional card on that one to use for her online holiday shopping. :mellow: As well so it'll qualify for the "Let the Savings Begin" promo thingy. And I'll swap the remaining limit to a Gold Passport once the 9 month BT promo is up. Since I don't pay the fee on either of those I figure I might as well <_<

And yes I'd wholeheartedly agree with you (as would most other staff) that we have pretty much the fugliest cards in the industry. I disagree with you about the Momentum card though. I really do like the look of it. The worst one? The Hockey Visa. Yes. It's an embarrassment. The Gold Passport is a close runner up though. LOL

#5 Stu.Padaso

Stu.Padaso
  • Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:04 PM

You like the Momentum? Well, I guess it isn't TOO bad. I just don't like the image and the dark silvery colour or whatever. It just doesn't work for me. Oh well, it's just a personal opinion.

After abusing the hell out of the 2% for the first 3 months I just use it for my recurring bills and gas. And I use Shell for gas, so I have that Easypass thingy so I never carry the Momentum around with me. So I guess I haven't looked at it in a while.

Oh yeah, that hockey Visa is pretty ugly. And I was going to say the Gold Passport Visa is gaudy looking. Also, that no-fee cash back with Laurier* (??) on it is damn unsightly. It's the same guy on the $5 bill I think. Oh man, it's like Scotia just didn't care and left the design up to a room full of CSRs-in-training, gave them 5 minutes to come up with something, then picked one out of a hat.

I'd like to see the Scene Visa in person. I think that might be one I like. I like the Scotia debit/banking card they gave. Lite and lively. Colourful. But I'm glad I don't have to use it because I know I would eventually get to the point of disliking it.

I thought you worked for CIBC? So it's Scotia, eh? I got a question for you about the Momentum that my daughter couldn't answer. So told me to call the Scotia Visa center and the answer they gave me doesn't sit very well.

For the first 3 months they were supposed to give me 2% back on EVERYTHING. But the first statement showed both 1% and 2% cashback amounts. They only gave me the 2% on the gas/grocery/pharmacy/recurring charges I made. And all the rest they only gave me 1%. When I called the Scotia Visa center they told me that when it comes time to pay the rebate (November?) they said they'll recalculate it and not to worry.

What do you think? I'm keeping a close eye on it. The rebate for the first 3 months will be pushing $100 if they do it right, but it'll only be something like $55 if they don't.

#6 Quasei2

Quasei2
  • Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:40 PM

Oh we try to forget about the Moneyback design. It's nothing short of sad and embarrassing. As for the Scene visa it's getting a minor redesign in the next week or so, but still will be sparkly stars similar to the debit card except white background.

If you're referring to our regular debit card with what I call the circus tent, I HATE it and so do most reps. We've had a TON of complaints about how ridiculous it looks, but most importantly it's not the red card in the wallet anymore. Where it used to be easy to find it now gets lost in a sea of white.

For the Momentum yip this is a very common question. If you total up your eligible purchases under the 1% category and then take a look at the chart for eligible purchases then it should show a doubled number there under the 1% category of what you actually spent in that category. Sometimes this doubling does not show until the 4th statement. BTW, I'm not surprised your daughter didn't know this. Sadly our branches are so disconnected from our revolving credit products and receive only minimal training. <_< Also, when oddities come up like this there's really no way for them to see the trending like we do dealing with it all day. But yeah if you don't find the doubling of the 1% category by your 4th statement I'd call in. If the rep thinks you're nuts make sure they're in Halifax first, if not roll the dice again until you do get Halifax. lol If the rep is in Halifax and still doesn't know what you're talking about escalate. I can confirm the supervisory staff (at least in Halifax) is well aware of this issue. :cry2:

Edited by Quasei2, 08 August 2010 - 01:41 PM.

#7 Stu.Padaso

Stu.Padaso
  • Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:41 AM

Thanks for the info Quasei. I did the calculations and all they've been doing is giving me 2% for gas/groceries/pharmacy/recurring and 1% on everything else.

The 4th statement comes in a week or two so I'll be sure and take a good close look. And I'll dig up the previous 3 statements so I have them all ready when/if I call the Scotia Visa centre.

I'll let you know.

And sorry for hijacking your threads. Damn, I seem to do that a lot.

Edited by Stu.Padaso, 09 August 2010 - 08:42 AM.

#8 Quasei2

Quasei2
  • Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:30 AM

Curious how it works out for you. I've only seen 2-3 that it hasn't shown up by the 4th stmt. And it's pretty much a no-brainer easy fix.

#9 Stu.Padaso

Stu.Padaso
  • Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:07 PM

Curious how it works out for you. I've only seen 2-3 that it hasn't shown up by the 4th stmt. And it's pretty much a no-brainer easy fix.

Well, I got my statement and it still doesn't show the correct rebate amount. I called and they said to give it one more statement and it should cycle thru and correct itself.

I'm sure this is my 4th statement, but looking back I'm not entirely sure. The first statement was only about 5 days after I got the card, so maybe they extended it by another month. I don't know. I'll have to dig up the old statements which are in the basement in amongst a ton of other financial crap. I'm waaaaaay behind on my filing, so I'm avoiding going down there! ahahahaha.

Anyways...The lady I talked to seemed to know what I was talking about and she spoke like she had run into this before.

I'll let it run one more cycle and then if it doesn't correct itself I'll call again...and if I'm not satisfied I'll call my daughter. I hate to bother her with my pitiful little problems, but dammit, I was promised 2% and I want 2%. Right now it's showing my total rebate for the year to be about $64. But it should be a little bit over $100 right now.

#10 Quasei2

Quasei2
  • Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:43 AM

You have been successfully stalled :ph34r: She pretty much passed the buck 'cause you're going to have to call again come next statement.

#11 Stu.Padaso

Stu.Padaso
  • Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:12 PM

You have been successfully stalled :mellow: She pretty much passed the buck 'cause you're going to have to call again come next statement.

Hmmmmmm. I see the statement cut last night and looking online I see the balance under the 1% column rose quite a bit (more than doubled from last months total) even though I hardly used the card in the last month. I THINK they made the adjustment...I'm pretty sure just by looking at the total rebate amount when I add the 1% and 2% column. It's pretty close to what I expect if they gave me 2% for everything for the first 3 statements. But I'll have to yank the statements I have to be sure.

Funny. It now shows my available credit as $0. Been like that since last night. Hopefully it's just a bug from the cut-off date.

Edited by Stu.Padaso, 15 September 2010 - 03:13 PM.

#12 Stu.Padaso

Stu.Padaso
  • Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:53 AM

Well, this was an interesting morning.

I called Scotia and verified that they did apply the 2% correctly. I did my calculations beforehand and had a good idea what the amount should be. And Scotia had it right. I still haven't received this months statement in the mail, but I can see it online. They were within a few pennies of what I calculated. What they did was double the amount in the 1% column. They did forget to do it on the 4th statement, but it did get caught on the 5th statement. The lady I talked to said it looked like they gave the 2% on the 4th month as well. And after going over it again (my calculator finger is hurting :) ) they did!

Anyways. I asked why my available credit now said $0. Turns out they think my card has been compromised. So they killed it and are sending me a new card with new account number.

Since I use this card for my recurring payments I had to go online, or call, each one of those companies and make sure everything was cool and give them another Visa CC number until I get this sorted out.

I have no idea how it could have been compromised. I've had it locked up in my little safe for the last few months. I only use it for my recurring payments. Oh well.

Funny...now that I log into Scotia the credit limit has been restored and the card number remains the same.

Edited by Stu.Padaso, 16 September 2010 - 10:55 AM.

#13 Quasei2

Quasei2
  • Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:21 AM

Hey! Yip I've also seen a couple wehre the 4th stmt gives the bonus - usually if the first stmt has less than 25 cycle days on it is what seems to be the trigger.

As for the compromise - when you said available credit at zero I knew that was what was going on :cry2: lol Likely it was somewhere you used your card about 7-9 weeks ago. The fan out process from the merchants can often take that long.

Your card number will remain the same likely until after your new card is activated. It may shift over today or tomorrow, but usually after the new card is activated. And as soon as there is contact with the customer the block on the acct is removed, but the card is no longer valid. Oh and if you receive a card where the first 13 digits are different ask that the rep who activates it manually shifts it for you via online banking. I've noticed a few of them sticking lately.

#14 Stu.Padaso

Stu.Padaso
  • Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 05:40 PM

Hey! Yip I've also seen a couple wehre the 4th stmt gives the bonus - usually if the first stmt has less than 25 cycle days on it is what seems to be the trigger.

As for the compromise - when you said available credit at zero I knew that was what was going on :good: lol Likely it was somewhere you used your card about 7-9 weeks ago. The fan out process from the merchants can often take that long.

Your card number will remain the same likely until after your new card is activated. It may shift over today or tomorrow, but usually after the new card is activated. And as soon as there is contact with the customer the block on the acct is removed, but the card is no longer valid. Oh and if you receive a card where the first 13 digits are different ask that the rep who activates it manually shifts it for you via online banking. I've noticed a few of them sticking lately.

Thanks for the info Quasei.

It's funny. I know which store it was too. And looking back it doesn't surprise me. No unauthourized charges on the account though...so that's a good thing.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.