Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

First chip and pin card in U.S.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Grizzly Bear

Grizzly Bear
  • Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:50 PM

http://www.financete...RSSfeed_FTN_All

#2 willsully

willsully
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:05 PM

They are not the first. Amex Blue had smartchips for a while, followed by contactless chips. Chase has the blink chip.

#3 rooms222

rooms222
  • Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:21 PM

When they refer to "Chip and Pin," I believe they mean cards that can be used in the Chip and Pin system rapidly being adopted by the rest of the world. The Amex and other cards you mentioned did have chips in them, but not ones that were compatible with this new system.....

#4 willsully

willsully
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:51 AM

When they refer to "Chip and Pin," I believe they mean cards that can be used in the Chip and Pin system rapidly being adopted by the rest of the world. The Amex and other cards you mentioned did have chips in them, but not ones that were compatible with this new system.....

The Amex Blue had a smart chip, just like what you see on European cards. Although I didn't actually get a chance to try it in Europe before Amex abandoned it. Are you saying the smart chip didn't talk the right protocol?

BTW, the Amex Blue attempt at introducing chip/pin to the US was a failure. American consumers didn't adopt it, so it was dropped.

#5 gj83

gj83
  • Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:46 AM

The Amex Blue had a smart chip, just like what you see on European cards. Although I didn't actually get a chance to try it in Europe before Amex abandoned it. Are you saying the smart chip didn't talk the right protocol?

BTW, the Amex Blue attempt at introducing chip/pin to the US was a failure. American consumers didn't adopt it, so it was dropped.

That was not the same chip technology and there was no pin associated with it. I had the AMEX Blue and I had a special keyboard I could use when I shopped online, but it never had a pin associated it for those transactions. It was not on the EVM standard.

This is the first EVM standard chip/pin card.

#6 willsully

willsully
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:05 AM

That was not the same chip technology and there was no pin associated with it.

You're thinking of something different. Years ago the amex blue had a proper smartchip, as you see here, the same that's on european cards. That failed, and Amex blue later switched to a different contactless chip, which probably what you're thinking of.

As far as the pin goes, all cards have pins, even the magstripe-only cards. But you wouldn't necessarily know about it because the pin is only used in the US if you need a cash advance from an ATM. They're generally available on a per-request basis. You can phone your bank and ask them to setup a pin number on any of your credit cards.

I had the AMEX Blue and I had a special keyboard I could use when I shopped online, but it never had a pin associated it for those transactions. It was not on the EVM standard.

In that case, you certainly got something different. My Amex Blue was originally chipless, and later came with this chip, and an Amex-branded USB smartchip reader, but no keyboard. Then in 2005 the smartchip was replaced with an RFid chip. I didn't get a keyboard with the RFid version either.

This is the first EVM standard chip/pin card.

This is 2010. Amex had it pre-2005, so certainly it's not the first. It failed when Amex tried to get support for it, so perhaps this will be the first one to succeed.

#7 willsully

willsully
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:20 AM

This thread has a picture of both types of chips that Amex Blue has had in the past. The first picture is a smart chip, and the second is an rfid.

#8 gj83

gj83
  • Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:53 PM

That was not the same chip technology and there was no pin associated with it.

You're thinking of something different. Years ago the amex blue had a proper smartchip, as you see here, the same that's on european cards. That failed, and Amex blue later switched to a different contactless chip, which probably what you're thinking of.

As far as the pin goes, all cards have pins, even the magstripe-only cards. But you wouldn't necessarily know about it because the pin is only used in the US if you need a cash advance from an ATM. They're generally available on a per-request basis. You can phone your bank and ask them to setup a pin number on any of your credit cards.

No, you have no clue what YOU are talking about. I had that card. Yes, it did have a smart chip, but it was not the EMV standard. And yes, I did have a keyboard with a smart card reader. You could get a USB reader, or a keyboard with a built-in reader.
http://www133.americ..._reader_faq.asp

Yes, all credit cards can get a PIN for ATM withdrawls, but try taking your old Smart Card Amex Blue with the PIN for that and try it in a country with the EMV chip and pin technology. It is not the same. I can't find anything official that proves that chip was anything more than a proprietary smart chip for use in AMEX readers for online purchases.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.