Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

"Hardship Program" Contact info for major CCs

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 byronm

byronm
  • Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:51 AM

American Express:

1-800-592-1160 or www.americanexpress.com/paymentplan

Note: Instant Acceptance using online link - 0% 6 months 9.99% 7-12 months.

Citi Card:

(866) 936-4814

Citi may have a 14.95 fee, but they waived it for me. Very willing to work on balance/payments

Chase:
1-800-404-6220 and 1-877-890-2941

Pro-active solutions group within Chase. The absolute friendliest CSR department I have ever used. Reduced Payment & APR

Bank of America:

(800) 500-5306

No instant acceptance, had to wait 5 days for letter in mail. 60 Month payoff, fixed rate. Be prepared to answer lots of questions. They may want to forward you to "non profit Debt Management"

Discover Card:

(866) 567-1660 or http://www.cardmemberassistance.com

Capital One:

(866) 929-5303

Please update the thread with your experience, further details and APR's and i'll try and keep this updated.

** Disclaimer**

Most Credit card companies will mark your account "Closed by Consumer" when joining hardship programs. I post this advice mostly as an alternative to "Debt Management" where they charge you a month fee upwards of 50+/month to do what you can do yourself. Be prepared with your budget and basic financial info to answer questions. This is NOT a debt settlement but programs offered to save you thousands on APR rates, late fees, over limit fees and to reduce your monthly payment to better fit your budget/hardship.

#2 kbkids

kbkids
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:29 PM

Thank you for the info and for the encouraging words. :(

#3 queenmum

queenmum
  • Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:48 PM

Has anyone had any experience with Capital One hardship programs? What about HSBC or Barclays?

#4 realitycheck123

realitycheck123
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:00 AM

Thank you OP. Chase, Citi and Amex were very understanding and helpful. Please update Citi phone # to 866-444-4986.

#5 Kari

Kari
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:33 AM

Thanks for the info Bryonm!

Wanted to add my experiences...

Chase- Extremely friendly, asked a bunch of questions. Lowered APR to 6%, reduced payment from $52 to $38. Closed account, said it would be "closed by consumer". Account is current, never late.

Capital One- called (866) 929-5303 (found it on another website) and was transfered to another dept. Rep was hard to understand and would only offer me a 3 month program, something about not being charged any late fees. I specifically asked for more details, that's all she would give me. I very nicely explained that my situation wouldn't be solved in 3 months and she said there was nothing else they could do. Account is current and has never been late- probably why she wouldn't help me.

HSBC- called customer service line, asked for Hardship department. She said there wasn't one and referred me to NFCC. Also current and never been late.

Of course HSBC and Cap 1 are my largest balances and highest APR's. I'm planning to call back later this week.

#6 kal el

kal el
  • Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:38 PM

I've called Citi and Wells so far and both have not been too helpful.....I have never been late but my balances and apr is very high ...kinda discouraged already

#7 realitycheck123

realitycheck123
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:25 AM

finally came to an agreement with Barclays yesterday (about 29 days late) 5.9 for 12 months

#8 scrappy

scrappy
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:53 AM

Does anyone have a number to call for Worlds Foremost Bank/Cabelas Visa? I've searched high and low online, and cannot find one...

#9 zenwizard

zenwizard
  • Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:16 AM

I've called Citi and Wells so far and both have not been too helpful.....I have never been late but my balances and apr is very high ...kinda discouraged already

Totally agree - of all the hardship programs I've researched, Citi seems the least flexible and least willing to help.

Oddly enough, they seem to be blaming the new credit card legislation as to why they can't help troubled borrowers.

#10 FLToddy

FLToddy
  • Newbies
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:33 PM

Was given "800-347-4779" by a Discover rep today as the number to call. The rep also refused to provide the phone number until I provided authorization for an EFT for a missed payment. (via web chat session).

Also, Citibank was extremely helpful and corresponded via chat window upon me signing into their website. I am not officially "late" yet with them so she advised me to chat in a couple of days to give the system time to mark me late.

#11 FLToddy

FLToddy
  • Newbies
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:50 AM

Was given "800-347-4779" by a Discover rep today as the number to call. The rep also refused to provide the phone number until I provided authorization for an EFT for a missed payment. (via web chat session).

Also, Citibank was extremely helpful and corresponded via chat window upon me signing into their website. I am not officially "late" yet with them so she advised me to chat in a couple of days to give the system time to mark me late.

BTW, when I called Citi and asked about a payment plan they stated that I had a promotional transfer balance (from a few years ago) and because of the Credit Card Reform Act they were unable to work out a plan with me as they were not allowed to modify the terms of that balance.
Has anyone else heard this? Is it true?

#12 breeze

breeze

Site Owners & FC XXXVIII <3

• Admin
  • 47,271 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:41 PM

If you've missed a payment, that's hogwash.

#13 alexthegreat

alexthegreat
  • Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:50 AM

citi only offering me 12 months 0% on 28K How are people getting 5 years? or is that after being late for many months? I'm only 1 month behind.

#14 breeze

breeze

Site Owners & FC XXXVIII <3

• Admin
  • 47,271 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:17 AM

citi only offering me 12 months 0% on 28K How are people getting 5 years? or is that after being late for many months? I'm only 1 month behind.

I think you have to be about 3 months behind.

#15 TUalum0982

TUalum0982
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:44 PM

I think you have to be about 3 months behind.

I wasn't late on my chase account and simply called ane explained the situation. She asked a few questions regarding my net monthly income, my mortgage payment and car payment. My minimum was 182 dollars a month at 13.49% and she was able to put me on a 5yr plan at 2% interest with payments of 164. Very very helpful lady. She also gave me a 1800 number to a non profit agency they work with and she said if I had any other cards they could help set me up on similar programs with them. I think I will try it, I know my credit will be down the tubes for a few yrs, but its better then bankruptcy.

#16 snarf

snarf
  • Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:39 PM

Chase- Extremely friendly, asked a bunch of questions. Lowered APR to 6%, reduced payment from $52 to $38. Closed account, said it would be "closed by consumer". Account is current, never late.

Capital One- called (866) 929-5303 (found it on another website) and was transfered to another dept. Rep was hard to understand and would only offer me a 3 month program, something about not being charged any late fees. I specifically asked for more details, that's all she would give me. I very nicely explained that my situation wouldn't be solved in 3 months and she said there was nothing else they could do. Account is current and has never been late- probably why she wouldn't help me.

HSBC- called customer service line, asked for Hardship department. She said there wasn't one and referred me to NFCC. Also current and never been late.

Of course HSBC and Cap 1 are my largest balances and highest APR's. I'm planning to call back later this week.

Hi,
Regarding Chase, were you ever late? How did you enter into a 'Hardship Program' with chase f you were never late? Or are you saying that Chase just did not report your account to the CRA's as never late after you entered into the program?
Thanks

#17 Zeldacat27

Zeldacat27
  • Newbies
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 12:55 PM

Chase was very easy to work with - they lowered my interest to 2% for a five year payoff on a $9000 balance. Made my minimum payment half of what it was. On another Chase account we settled for 30% of the balance.

Capital One, on the other hand, either tells me I do not qualify for a hardship program (both my husband & I are unemployed with only 1 unemployment check) or says that they do not have any programs available. They stick me on a 3 month payment plan, meanwhile they continue to rack up interest & fees and my balance continues to grow. I'm beginning to think that Cap One is in the business of ROYALLY screwing their customers rather than trying to work anything out. I will call the number above and see if I can get anyhwere.

I was maintaining my Sears Citi card as it had a fairly low balance and payment I could afford. However, I hadn't really used the card in a while (since I was trying to pay down) and I used it once for an emergency doctor bill and they pulled all of my available credit down below even what my balance was putting me in an overage situation.

#18 papp1chu

papp1chu
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:05 PM

American Express:

Citi Card:

(866) 936-4814

Citi may have a 14.95 fee, but they waived it for me. Very willing to work on balance/payments

Chase:

Pro-active solutions group within Chase. The absolute friendliest CSR department I have ever used. Reduced Payment & APR

Bank of America:

(800) 500-5306

No instant acceptance, had to wait 5 days for letter in mail. 60 Month payoff, fixed rate. Be prepared to answer lots of questions. They may want to forward you to "non profit Debt Management"

Discover Card:

Capital One:

(866) 929-5303

Please update the thread with your experience, further details and APR's and i'll try and keep this updated.

** Disclaimer**

Most Credit card companies will mark your account "Closed by Consumer" when joining hardship programs. I post this advice mostly as an alternative to "Debt Management" where they charge you a month fee upwards of 50+/month to do what you can do yourself. Be prepared with your budget and basic financial info to answer questions. This is NOT a debt settlement but programs offered to save you thousands on APR rates, late fees, over limit fees and to reduce your monthly payment to better fit your budget/hardship.

Thank you for this info. By any chance you know if I could use this same number that you have listed for citi for HomeDepot?

#19 kalli007

kalli007
  • Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:59 PM

American Express:

Citi Card:

(866) 936-4814

Chase:

Bank of America:

(800) 500-5306

Discover Card:

Capital One:

(866) 929-5303

** Disclaimer**

Thank you for this info. By any chance you know if I could use this same number that you have listed for citi for HomeDepot?

I called Home Depot credit services directly when I was behind, and they offered me 12 mos at 0% interest.

#20 cjswift

cjswift
  • Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:22 AM

Chase was very easy to work with - they lowered my interest to 2% for a five year payoff on a $9000 balance. Made my minimum payment half of what it was. On another Chase account we settled for 30% of the balance.

Capital One, on the other hand, either tells me I do not qualify for a hardship program (both my husband & I are unemployed with only 1 unemployment check) or says that they do not have any programs available. They stick me on a 3 month payment plan, meanwhile they continue to rack up interest & fees and my balance continues to grow. I'm beginning to think that Cap One is in the business of ROYALLY screwing their customers rather than trying to work anything out. I will call the number above and see if I can get anyhwere.

I was maintaining my Sears Citi card as it had a fairly low balance and payment I could afford. However, I hadn't really used the card in a while (since I was trying to pay down) and I used it once for an emergency doctor bill and they pulled all of my available credit down below even what my balance was putting me in an overage situation.

Same experience with Cap One- I do not qualify for hardship. Please update and future dealings with them. I am 2 months behind and won't even talk about lowering the payments.

#21 helping_out

helping_out
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:25 PM

After contemplating using a DRM for a while, I've started contacting companies directly to see if I can get similar terms on my own.

American Express: 12 months with a 1% minimum payment, interest rate at 0% for first 6 months and 9.99% for 7-12 months. Account is on hold, but will go back to original terms after exiting the plan.

Chase Visa: All I wanted was to get the minimum changed from 5% to 2%, but they wouldn't do it. So I went into the "balance reduction plan." Basically, the balance has been transferred to an installment loan (60 months, 12%). Account marked "closed by consumer." Monthly payment down from $149 to $66.

I found it very stressful to make those phone calls, but I'm happy with today's results. Glad to be making some progress. The Customer Service Reps in both hardship departments were polite, kind and helpful.

Thank you for posting all this information!

#22 tori_girl

tori_girl
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:54 PM

Thanks all for the info and ideas.

I'm going to attempt this with Chase because frankly, they own us. We have 3 cards with them, with fairly high balances.

However, we are still making the payments, just the minimum, but we're not behind. It is killing us, but we're somehow doing it.

So is that going to jeapordize our chances of getting some sort of adjustment?

I was unemployed for almost 2 years and we really fell behind. I'm now working 2 part-time jobs but not making even half of what I did before I was laid-off.

I guess it can't hurt to ask them, but just wanted your thoughts first.

Oh, and i actually first heard about this program from them! I had called to ask for a reduction in APR and it was suggested i contact their hardship department since we're in "very good standing" and they might be able to help! ? But does the very good standing mean we're making our payments so we'll be out of luck?

TIA for any ideas you may have!

#23 tori_girl

tori_girl
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:53 AM

Thanks all for the info and ideas.

I'm going to attempt this with Chase because frankly, they own us. We have 3 cards with them, with fairly high balances.

However, we are still making the payments, just the minimum, but we're not behind. It is killing us, but we're somehow doing it.

So is that going to jeapordize our chances of getting some sort of adjustment?

I was unemployed for almost 2 years and we really fell behind. I'm now working 2 part-time jobs but not making even half of what I did before I was laid-off.

I guess it can't hurt to ask them, but just wanted your thoughts first.

Oh, and i actually first heard about this program from them! I had called to ask for a reduction in APR and it was suggested i contact their hardship department since we're in "very good standing" and they might be able to help! ? But does the very good standing mean we're making our payments so we'll be out of luck?

TIA for any ideas you may have!

Anyone? Please?

#24 ICANHASMUNY?

ICANHASMUNY?

Forum Leads - State Laws

• Forum Leads
  • 16,483 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:56 AM

it's a rule 5000 re- age

http://creditboards....howtopic=304349

r

#25 david_in_fortworth

david_in_fortworth
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:09 PM

Hello all,

Started to sink a little more then tread water and wanted to check in here for some advise.

We currently have about 77k in CC debt, of which, 33k is with Chase. We both have pretty good credit scores and no 30 day lates.

Since this thread has been going a while, I just wanted to inquire about the willingness of Chase to still help people out, as has been mentioned in this thread. I'm not looking for charity or to have the debt written off, I just want some assistance in getting my payments down to a more manageable level, without killing our credit scores.

We also have about 20,000 with a BOA Amex, and 10,000 with Citibank. A few others as well.

Again, we have great credit, but starting to need some help with the payments.

Thanks
David

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.