Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Hipsters On Food Stamps...

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 orangecrush

orangecrush

Goddess of the Jacksonville Tourism Bureau

• Members
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:14 PM

http://www.salon.com...ed?source=yahoo

#2 brazen

brazen

Thing Two

• Forum Leads
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:30 PM

Eh, to each their own, if income meets the standards.

#3 blackberry74

blackberry74
  • Members
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:31 PM

I don't have a problem with what they choose to buy with their food stamps. What they eat doesn't make me take a crap.

#4 hinklesc

hinklesc

Dr Dew Rag

• Members
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:35 PM

Another reason we all get up and go to work in the morning.

I'm sorry, but I only agree with food stamps in certain events (disabled parent (s), laid off parent(s), accidental injury.. along those lines). If the parent's are not disabled in any way (physically, mentally) then there should be an X amount of time. Those with children can have longer.

It just chaps me when an able bodied person can independently work and does not, but instead takes advantage of a handout from us taxpayers.

Organic salmon at that.....

We all see the buggy ahead fill of steak (don't need to budget free money).

Flagrant abuse of the system here. "I'll buy what is on your list and you give me 50% of the receipt in cash", or "'lll buy you some groceries for a few of your percocets and valiums".

#5 orangecrush

orangecrush

• Members
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:37 PM

I don't get the uproar about what they buy. From what I read, they all had jobs. They all paid taxes.

#6 brazen

brazen

Thing Two

• Forum Leads
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:40 PM

I'm sorry, but I only agree with food stamps in certain events (disabled parent (s), laid off parent(s), accidental injury.. along those lines). If the parent's are not disabled in any way (physically, mentally) then there should be an X amount of time. Those with children can have longer.

It just chaps me when an able bodied person can independently work and does not, but instead takes advantage of a handout from us taxpayers.

Flagrant abuse of the system here. "I'll buy what is on your list and you give me 50% of the receipt in cash", or "'lll buy you some groceries for a few of your percocets and valiums".

Agreed those who are able bodied need to work if they can. However if the persons income meets their eligibility standards then thats it, why aganoize over it.
Lots of folks work jobs and still qualify. :)

#7 orangecrush

orangecrush

• Members
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:41 PM

They paid taxes just like you. Why shouldn't they get it back when they are unemployed?

Why should people with kids get special treatment? Taxpayers already pay for the schools of these kids. Why should taxpayers have to feed them too?

#8 blackberry74

blackberry74
  • Members
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:49 PM

We've had this discussion before where people had their thongs all in a twist because somebody on food stamps had the nerve to buy more than Wonder Bread and off brand cheese to feed themselves. No matter what they buy, the money was still allotted to them and will still be spent. Get over it.

#9 orangecrush

orangecrush

• Members
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:57 PM

We've had this discussion before where people had their thongs all in a twist because somebody on food stamps had the nerve to buy more than Wonder Bread and off brand cheese to feed themselves. No matter what they buy, the money was still allotted to them and will still be spent. Get over it.

Remember that crazy thread where people got pissy, because some lady purchased a birthday cake for her kid using food stamps?

#10 hinklesc

hinklesc

Dr Dew Rag

• Members
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:57 PM

Agreed those who are able bodied need to work if they can. However if the persons income meets their eligibility standards then thats it, why aganoize over it.
Lots of folks work jobs and still qualify. ;)

I suppose...

You just see this where folks spend impulsively on expensive items, then go hungry for the other 3 weeks.

If they use it for food (many sell for alcohol, weed, script pills, etc). Not all of course, as I am sure there are probably most that use as intended. You cannot deny there is plenty of abuse.

Don't know about you but I don't like writing checks with a tax return that subsidizes this.

#11 orangecrush

orangecrush

• Members
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:01 PM

Don't know about you but I don't like writing checks with a tax return that subsidizes this.

I don't like writing checks for my taxes that subsidizes anything that doesn't benefit me. That includes: public schools, parks and "Welcome To Florida" signs.

#12 Tigz

Tigz
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:05 PM

The first part of it was a little bit irritating to read, but something they snuck in there without saying....said alot.
the issuing of the food stamps has a trickle down effect to these markets who are already seeing people cut back on their organic food purchases. So not only is the issuance of food stamps allowing people to eat, it is also benefiting these small markets. So I am not seeing the bad.

#13 hinklesc

hinklesc

Dr Dew Rag

• Members
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:08 PM

I don't like writing checks for my taxes that subsidizes anything that doesn't benefit me. That includes: public schools, parks and "Welcome To Florida" signs.

+1

ANYTHING to do with Florida $$$ irks me...

Only good thing to come out of FL is Dexter (and Dan Marino)...

#14 mason

mason
  • Members
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:09 PM

I always thought that non-disabled adults without children didn't qualify for food stamps? Maybe it depends on the state?

#15 orangecrush

orangecrush

• Members
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:12 PM

I always thought that non-disabled adults without children didn't qualify for food stamps? Maybe it depends on the state?

I think the article said something about guidelines recently changing.

#16 orangecrush

orangecrush

• Members
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:13 PM

+1

Dexter sucks. Dan Marino is from Pittsburgh.

#17 dang

dang
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:14 PM

I like seeing folks like this getting some assistance.

#18 orangecrush

orangecrush

• Members
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:16 PM

I like seeing folks like this getting some assistance.

Me too, kind of. I think it is bogus to give help to people simply, because they have kids or whatever. Everyone should have the same opportunity for government stuff.

#19 hinklesc

hinklesc

Dr Dew Rag

• Members
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:17 PM

+1

Dexter sucks. Dan Marino is from Pittsburgh.

OK then just Dexter... But don't think he sports a food stamp card.

Oh, and Mickey Mouse.

#20 orangecrush

orangecrush

• Members
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:18 PM

Oh, and Mickey Mouse.

Mickey Mouse is shady.

#21 dang

dang
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:18 PM

Pretty much how I feel about it. In my mind it balances out since they are paying for all the other crap they dont use...so meh...buy up all the organic salmon you want.

#22 hinklesc

hinklesc

Dr Dew Rag

• Members
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:20 PM

A side note here.

a woman was caught here about a year ago and charged with welfare fraud. It was discovered she signed up 8 times using different names and supplying necessary paperwork to receive benefits (including food stamps X 8).

#23 orangecrush

orangecrush

• Members
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:21 PM

A side note here.

a woman was caught here about a year ago and charged with welfare fraud. It was discovered she signed up 8 times using different names and supplying necessary paperwork to receive benefits (including food stamps X 8).

How????!!!! Seriously. In this day and age with all of the information the government stores on people, I would think there would be a way to nip it in the bud.

#24 hinklesc

hinklesc

Dr Dew Rag

• Members
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:25 PM

A side note here.

How????!!!! Seriously. In this day and age with all of the information the government stores on people, I would think there would be a way to nip it in the bud.

Falsified information. Hispanic woman that was actually here illegally ( PC term: Undocumented immigrant).

I do not know what happened with her.

My guess is she probably got deported and is probably now in another state buying steak on a food stamp card.

#25 giraffy

giraffy

Perfect

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:31 PM

Oh, and Mickey Mouse.

Mickey Mouse is shady.

YOU'RE shady. :rofl:

Meh. I cannot be outraged by any of this article. They qualify, they're giving business (it sounds like) to independent store owners... All good, from where I'm standing.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.