Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Why Showing ID is the Worst Thing You Can Do.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Art Nouveau_*

Guest_Art Nouveau_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:17 AM

Every time you give somebody your driver’s license, you are giving them, at a minimum:

* Your full legal name
* Your address
* Your full birthday
* A number used to identify you to government agencies

Some state-issued IDs have even more information on them. But even if yours just has the information above, an identity thief can use your ID as a starting point for opening credit accounts in your name, forging other identifying information, and just plain taking over your life. They may even forge an ID in your name and convince your spouse to sleep with them. (Your spouse does ask for ID before going to bed each night, right? Right?)

Now you might be thinking that the cashiers behind the counter at Hot ‘n’ Trendy couldn’t possibly be identity thieves. And even if they were, they’d only see your ID for a few seconds—not nearly enough time to copy down or memorize your information. If you’re thinking that, consider the following:

* Retail cashiers often make close to minimum wage. Identity thieves make a whole lot more until they’re caught, which isn’t all that often.
* As often as “See ID”ers show their ID, it would be virtually impossible to pinpoint the source of any identity theft.
* Cameras that can capture all the information off your ID can be the size of a cell phone or smaller.

Assuming you’re not peeing your pants in consumery terror, you might be wondering if I’m just posing a hypothetical scenario. Indeed, the bullet points above are based on a real experience from a few months ago.

Horrifying Story Time:

My wife and I were in a clothing store with some of her friends, and as women must spend at least one hour in any given store, I was bored to the point of near-insanity. I started to wander the store aimlessly and eventually heard those fateful words from behind the checkout counter: “May I please see your ID.” Only this time, the cashier—the only one behind the counter—sounded ecstatic, whereas no cashier in the history of the world had ever sounded ecstatic about anything up to that point. I was standing to the side of the counter, so I could see the cashier’s actions behind it. As the customer handed over her ID, I noticed the cashier tapped it on the counter a few times while swiping the credit card with her other hand. A perfectly innocent action, so I thought nothing of it.

A few minutes later, the next customer also paid with a credit card, though I could see from my viewpoint that it was clearly signed on the back with some signature scribble. Yet the cashier asked for ID. I figured the store had simply instructed her to ID every card user—a clear violation of their merchant’s agreement with credit card issuers—but I decided to let it go as I was having too much fun ogling this fine-looking cashier.

But when another customer came up a short time later and paid with a credit card, the cashier did not ask for ID. I looked over and saw that there was a second person behind the counter then; a closer look at his name badge revealed he was the store manager. After the manager left the checkout area, Hot Cashier Girl (that’s what I named her, because she is a hot girl cashier) went right back to asking for IDs from credit card users. Each time, she would tap the ID on the counter while waiting for the credit card to process.

About 20 minutes had gone by, and with no sign of shopping completion from my wife and her gang, I wandered the store briefly and returned to my original spot on the side of the checkout counter. Another credit card user was prompted for ID from the cashier, but this time something strange happened: when the cashier went to present the customer a pen and receipt for signing, the cashier dropped them on the counter beside her and scrambled to pick them up, scattering several items on her side of the counter in the process. After the customer signed and left, I noticed the cashier very meticulously return a blue lunch knapsack to its original position—lying flat but with the bottom pointing toward her.

I finally confirmed her plot when the next customer paid by credit card. Hot Cashier Girl wasn’t just tapping their IDs to pass the time while cards were processed; she was purposely showing the face of the IDs to the bottom of her lunch bag. I moved around to the other side of the counter and confirmed my suspicions: there was a small black hole at the bottom of her bag—just wide enough for a small camera to film through. Hot Cashier Girl had been videotaping every single customer’s ID.

I spotted Mr. Manager on the other side of the store and asked him why Hot Cashier Girl might be asking for IDs. He said it definitely wasn’t store policy. Then I asked why she might be tapping each ID in front of her holey-bottomed knapsack. He replied, “Are you serious?” and started walking toward the checkout counter. I rounded up my wife and gang who were finished in that store anyway (they found nothing they wanted) and we left. About 30 minutes later, we passed by again and I noticed four uniformed county police officers in the store. I like to think there were four more in the back asking Hot Cashier Girl for her ID.

Full story here:
http://www.punny.org...ing-you-can-do/

#2 green2408

green2408
  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:23 PM

Every time you give somebody your driver’s license, you are giving them, at a minimum:

* Your full legal name
* Your address
* Your full birthday

Some state-issued IDs have even more information on them. But even if yours just has the information above, an identity thief can use your ID as a starting point for opening credit accounts in your name, forging other identifying information, and just plain taking over your life. They may even forge an ID in your name and convince your spouse to sleep with them. (Your spouse does ask for ID before going to bed each night, right? Right?)

Now you might be thinking that the cashiers behind the counter at Hot ‘n’ Trendy couldn’t possibly be identity thieves. And even if they were, they’d only see your ID for a few seconds��"not nearly enough time to copy down or memorize your information. If you’re thinking that, consider the following:

* Retail cashiers often make close to minimum wage. Identity thieves make a whole lot more until they’re caught, which isn’t all that often.
* As often as “See ID”ers show their ID, it would be virtually impossible to pinpoint the source of any identity theft.
* Cameras that can capture all the information off your ID can be the size of a cell phone or smaller.

Assuming you’re not peeing your pants in consumery terror, you might be wondering if I’m just posing a hypothetical scenario. Indeed, the bullet points above are based on a real experience from a few months ago.

Horrifying Story Time:

My wife and I were in a clothing store with some of her friends, and as women must spend at least one hour in any given store, I was bored to the point of near-insanity. I started to wander the store aimlessly and eventually heard those fateful words from behind the checkout counter: “May I please see your ID.” Only this time, the cashier��"the only one behind the counter��"sounded ecstatic, whereas no cashier in the history of the world had ever sounded ecstatic about anything up to that point. I was standing to the side of the counter, so I could see the cashier’s actions behind it. As the customer handed over her ID, I noticed the cashier tapped it on the counter a few times while swiping the credit card with her other hand. A perfectly innocent action, so I thought nothing of it.

A few minutes later, the next customer also paid with a credit card, though I could see from my viewpoint that it was clearly signed on the back with some signature scribble. Yet the cashier asked for ID. I figured the store had simply instructed her to ID every card user��"a clear violation of their merchant’s agreement with credit card issuers��"but I decided to let it go as I was having too much fun ogling this fine-looking cashier.

But when another customer came up a short time later and paid with a credit card, the cashier did not ask for ID. I looked over and saw that there was a second person behind the counter then; a closer look at his name badge revealed he was the store manager. After the manager left the checkout area, Hot Cashier Girl (that’s what I named her, because she is a hot girl cashier) went right back to asking for IDs from credit card users. Each time, she would tap the ID on the counter while waiting for the credit card to process.

About 20 minutes had gone by, and with no sign of shopping completion from my wife and her gang, I wandered the store briefly and returned to my original spot on the side of the checkout counter. Another credit card user was prompted for ID from the cashier, but this time something strange happened: when the cashier went to present the customer a pen and receipt for signing, the cashier dropped them on the counter beside her and scrambled to pick them up, scattering several items on her side of the counter in the process. After the customer signed and left, I noticed the cashier very meticulously return a blue lunch knapsack to its original position��"lying flat but with the bottom pointing toward her.

I finally confirmed her plot when the next customer paid by credit card. Hot Cashier Girl wasn’t just tapping their IDs to pass the time while cards were processed; she was purposely showing the face of the IDs to the bottom of her lunch bag. I moved around to the other side of the counter and confirmed my suspicions: there was a small black hole at the bottom of her bag��"just wide enough for a small camera to film through. Hot Cashier Girl had been videotaping every single customer’s ID.

I spotted Mr. Manager on the other side of the store and asked him why Hot Cashier Girl might be asking for IDs. He said it definitely wasn’t store policy. Then I asked why she might be tapping each ID in front of her holey-bottomed knapsack. He replied, “Are you serious?” and started walking toward the checkout counter. I rounded up my wife and gang who were finished in that store anyway (they found nothing they wanted) and we left. About 30 minutes later, we passed by again and I noticed four uniformed county police officers in the store. I like to think there were four more in the back asking Hot Cashier Girl for her ID.

Full story here:

Interesting cautionary tale - vindication for my instintive discomfort with showing ID for the privilege of spending money.

#3 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:09 PM

EYE COLOR

HAIR COLOR

HEIGHT

WEIGHT

SOME STATES EVEN USED THE SS# AS THE DRIVER's LICENSE NUMBER

#4 AnonymouslyIndebted

AnonymouslyIndebted
  • Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:10 AM

So where do they want you to use your ID then if you will not show it where it's needed? And thinking that cashiers are identity thieves is crazy. Do they have the good memory to even memorize all your details? :yahoo:

#5 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:10 AM

So where do they want you to use your ID then if you will not show it where it's needed? And thinking that cashiers are identity thieves is crazy. Do they have the good memory to even memorize all your details? -_-

SHOW IT FOR BOOZE and CANCER STICKS (I don't have to since I don't buy them or even USE THEM)

Show it at the airport to fly on a plane

It is not required to be a licensed driver to use a credit card...why show it???

Just sign the back of the card

THE SIGNATURE ON THE BACK OF THE CARD...IS THE ID

#6 AnonymouslyIndebted

AnonymouslyIndebted
  • Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:15 AM

Sometimes they would ask to show your ID for your own protection as well, to prevent identity theft.

#7 Guest_fleur de lis_*

Guest_fleur de lis_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:42 PM

Showing ID can cause identity theft; it cannot prevent it.

#8 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:44 PM

THE CARD IS MINE...how does showing ID prevent anything???

#9 T1-11

T1-11
  • Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:29 AM

did you know that Hawaii used our SSN# for our driving license number, they have changed it now but WOW! what problems we where having here

#10 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:10 AM

did you know that Hawaii used our SSN# for our driving license number, they have changed it now but WOW! what problems we where having here

THEY WERE NOT THE ONLY STUPID STATE THAT DID THAT

(stupid for putting SS# as the license #)

NOT THAT THE STATE ITSELF IS STUPID

Edited by GEORGE, 03 March 2010 - 01:11 AM.

#11 lolipop

lolipop
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:05 PM

THE CARD IS MINE...how does showing ID prevent anything???

What if someone uses your card?

#12 Castleton

Castleton
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:42 AM

Every time you give somebody your driver's license, you are giving them, at a minimum:

* Your full legal name
* Your address
* Your full birthday

Now you might be thinking that the cashiers behind the counter at Hot 'n' Trendy couldn't possibly be identity thieves. And even if they were, they'd only see your ID for a few secondsnot nearly enough time to copy down or memorize your information. If you're thinking that, consider the following:

* Retail cashiers often make close to minimum wage. Identity thieves make a whole lot more until they're caught, which isn't all that often.
* As often as "See ID"ers show their ID, it would be virtually impossible to pinpoint the source of any identity theft.

Assuming you're not peeing your pants in consumery terror, you might be wondering if I'm just posing a hypothetical scenario. Indeed, the bullet points above are based on a real experience from a few months ago.

Horrifying Story Time!

My wife and I were in a clothing store with some of her friends, and as women must spend at least one hour in any given store, I was bored to the point of near-insanity. I started to wander the store aimlessly and eventually heard those fateful words from behind the checkout counter: "May I please see your ID." Only this time, the cashierthe only one behind the countersounded ecstatic, whereas no cashier in the history of the world had ever sounded ecstatic about anything up to that point. I was standing to the side of the counter, so I could see the cashier's actions behind it. As the customer handed over her ID, I noticed the cashier tapped it on the counter a few times while swiping the credit card with her other hand. A perfectly innocent action, so I thought nothing of it.

A few minutes later, the next customer also paid with a credit card, though I could see from my viewpoint that it was clearly signed on the back with some signature scribble. Yet the cashier asked for ID. I figured the store had simply instructed her to ID every card usera clear violation of their merchant's agreement with credit card issuersbut I decided to let it go as I was having too much fun ogling this fine-looking cashier.

But when another customer came up a short time later and paid with a credit card, the cashier did not ask for ID. I looked over and saw that there was a second person behind the counter then; a closer look at his name badge revealed he was the store manager. After the manager left the checkout area, Hot Cashier Girl (that's what I named her, because she is a hot girl cashier) went right back to asking for IDs from credit card users. Each time, she would tap the ID on the counter while waiting for the credit card to process.

About 20 minutes had gone by, and with no sign of shopping completion from my wife and her gang, I wandered the store briefly and returned to my original spot on the side of the checkout counter. Another credit card user was prompted for ID from the cashier, but this time something strange happened: when the cashier went to present the customer a pen and receipt for signing, the cashier dropped them on the counter beside her and scrambled to pick them up, scattering several items on her side of the counter in the process. After the customer signed and left, I noticed the cashier very meticulously return a blue lunch knapsack to its original positionlying flat but with the bottom pointing toward her.

I finally confirmed her plot when the next customer paid by credit card. Hot Cashier Girl wasn't just tapping their IDs to pass the time while cards were processed; she was purposely showing the face of the IDs to the bottom of her lunch bag. I moved around to the other side of the counter and confirmed my suspicions: there was a small black hole at the bottom of her bagjust wide enough for a small camera to film through. Hot Cashier Girl had been videotaping every single customer's ID.

I spotted Mr. Manager on the other side of the store and asked him why Hot Cashier Girl might be asking for IDs. He said it definitely wasn't store policy. Then I asked why she might be tapping each ID in front of her holey-bottomed knapsack. He replied, "Are you serious?" and started walking toward the checkout counter. I rounded up my wife and gang who were finished in that store anyway (they found nothing they wanted) and we left. About 30 minutes later, we passed by again and I noticed four uniformed county police officers in the store. I like to think there were four more in the back asking Hot Cashier Girl for her ID.

Full story here:

Interesting cautionary tale - vindication for my instinctive discomfort with showing ID for the privilege of spending money.

The most disturbing aspect of this story is that this common ID theft scam could have gone on and on indefinitely with these clueless consumers giving their IDs to anyone without question.

If Nick, bored out-of-his-mind while his wife shopped hadn't been there observing things meticulously for an hour, who knows how many more IDs would have been stolen.

Meanwhile, the same scam could be happening at the store next door. This is why education is crucial. So, if you are ever asked for ID, immediately call 1-800-VISA-911 to ensure the practice is stopped at once.

CREDIT CARD SIGNATURE IS ALL THE ID NEEDED

When you pay for merchandise with a Visa card, MasterCard, or American Express any store that accepts these cards should accept yours too, no questions asked. It's part of the deal that merchants agree to when they become participating members.

They must check your signature and the card - electronically or by telephone - to be sure it's valid. Once the answer comes up yes, they can go ahead and charge. They can't ask you for any further identification - not a license plate number, Social Security number, proof of address, phone number or photo ID.

Your personal ID isn't needed because Visa, MasterCard, and American Express all guarantee payment on cards that have been properly checked. If the issuer mistakenly authorizes a sale on a bad card, it should make good. MasterCard says that merchants receive instant settlement. The contract MasterCard merchants sign specifically prevents them from asking for personal ID.

Unfortunately, not all merchants play by the rules. Some, apparently, haven't read them.

WHAT YOU CAN DO

MasterCard wants to hear about merchants who break their rules. Send the name and address and an account of what happened to MasterCard WorldWide 2000 Purchase St. Purchase, NY 10577 or call 1-800-300-3069. The merchant's bank will get a stiff letter, ordering it to investigate and bring the offending store into line - or pay a $2,000 fine. You may also report violations online:

http://www.mastercar...violations.html

Visa enforces the same rules as MasterCard. "When we hear about a violation, we ask the bank that signed the merchant to get together with the merchant and see that the practice is stopped," Visa representative states. Violations of Visa's Operating Regulations result in fines of no less than $5,000. To report a merchant, write to Visa Inc. P.O. Box 8999 San Francisco, CA 94128-8999 or call 1-800-VISA-911.

American Express also prohibits merchants from asking for IDs. "All a merchant is supposed to do is make sure the signature matches and swipe the card through the terminal, to get authorization." Report violations to: American Express P.O. Box 297812 Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33329-7812 or call 1-800-528-4800 or report online: http://americanexpress.com/yourchoice

#13 MarvBear

MarvBear

Administrator

• Admin
  • 47,404 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:56 AM

Why would a topic started well OVER ONE YEAR AGO BY A BANNED MEMBER be replied to and bumped?

Is there something I am missing?

#14 ubermama

ubermama
  • Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

My college used our SSNs as our STUDENT ID NUMBERS! We had them printed on the student IDs and everyone wore them around on lanyards on their necks - we had to show them at chow time to get our meals! I also remember that almost every bill and EOMB I received had my SSN printed right on it (sometimes AS the account number) and our health insurance cards had our SSNs on them in the early 2000s. I'm glad all those things have changed!

#15 ubermama

ubermama
  • Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

Why would a topic started well OVER ONE YEAR AGO BY A BANNED MEMBER be replied to and bumped?

Is there something I am missing?

Didn't notice, sorry... I actually read the whole story.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.