Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

SEARCH TIPS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Alex

Alex
  • Members
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 04:16 PM

Thanks to Alex for taking the time to put this together.

SEARCH TIPS :wink:

board search link:
http://www.creditboa...2c9613671c7275e

The search capability that comes with the message board is basically a Boolean search but it is somewhat limited. I have found that changing the search options makes no difference so don't waist your time with them. The main strategy is to separate your search terms with parentheses and use the AND Boolean operator along with the NOT operator. Personally I have not found much use for the OR operator. The * is also useful.

The operators that work are: AND, OR, NOT, *

Don't put two words separates by a space inside parentheses. "re-insertion" is OK.
"re insertion" is not OK.

Below are some examples of searches:

IIB AND accounts--------------------= no

"IIB" AND "accounts"-----------------= yes

not mine letter-----------------------= no

"not" AND "mine"---------------------= yes

re-insertion letter--------------------= no

"re-insertion" AND "letter"-------------= yes
"re-insertion" AND "letter*"------------= yes

FICO score---------------------------= no

"FICO" AND "score"--------------------= yes

"search" AND "tips"--------------------= yes

"credit" AND "score" AND "inquiries"-----= yes

"house hold" AND "bank" AND "address"--= no

"household" AND "bank" AND "address"--= yes

"chase" AND "bank" AND "address"------= yes

"credit" AND "card*" AND "prime"-------= yes

"amex" AND "blue" AND "score"---------= yes

"credit" AND "score" AND "inquiries" AND "hard" NOT "auto" NOT "apartment" --- = yes

For tips on what us a Boolean search look here:

http://library.alban...et/boolean.html

http://www.adam.ac.u...olean.html#bool

http://www.lscc.cc.f...des/boolsea.htm

#2 faztcobra

faztcobra
  • Members
  • 4,169 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 03:55 PM

Also, -->HERE'S<-- a link to help you refine your searches as well. Details below.

If you're using the default board style "subsilver", then you have this new functionality. You have the ability to search for a topic by "search title only". The example I gave in an earlier post was RJM. If you searched for RJM, before you came up with 90+ posts and now if you search by "title only" - it'll return 33 results. The posts you find will hopefully be more geared to what you're looking for. Hopefully this'll help out the newbies more, as well as the vets. When searching for something specific, you won't be so bombarded with results that you may find what you're looking for in a quicker manner.

Fazt

#3 letsgetit_fixed

letsgetit_fixed
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 05:40 AM

is there a way I can bring up the topics I started? I looked and didn't find anything, may have just not found it though.
TIA>

#4 Alex

Alex
  • Members
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 08:49 AM

:D
Unfortunately you can't search on a board members name unless that name is contained in the body of one of the messages in the thread. Usually this only happens if someone quotes that members post in full and than replies to it.

The only sure way to find a members prior posts is to go to the members list here:
http://www.creditboa.../memberlist.php and use the EDIT FIND feature that comes with Microsoft Explorer to locate the member. This feature is useful because with so many members you may have to search many pages in the member list. Then you can click on the members name and then click on "find all posts by members name" in the upper right. Then you can scroll down to the bottom and see all the pages of posts they have made sorted by date. From there you can go through all of them.
Posted Image

#5 letsgetit_fixed

letsgetit_fixed
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 04:45 PM

my question was finding MY topics (all of them) maybe it was misunderstood. I know what you're saying though. I later thought about that after posting that all I had to do was just do a search for my own USERNAME :idea: duh ! Oh well.

#6 faztcobra

faztcobra
  • Members
  • 4,169 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 07:16 AM

I understand what you're talking about. On all the other boards that I'm a member of, there's a "search by username" field if you're not looking for any particular word, but all posts by a particular user.

#7 crofttk

crofttk
  • Members
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 11:49 PM

my question was finding MY topics (all of them) maybe it was misunderstood. I know what you're saying though. I later thought about that after posting that all I had to do was just do a search for my own USERNAME :idea: duh ! Oh well.

The more direct method: go to "creditboards Forum Index" and, in the upper right corner you should find a link that says "view my posts". It works for me.

#8 Alias319

Alias319
  • Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 12:19 AM

I just enter my username in Search for Author: when using the search feature to find my own post. I then "click view my posts" to see all my post.

I usually click on the author name when they post a topic to see all post from that user.

#9 DiamondEye

DiamondEye
  • Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 12:40 PM

How does one search exact phrase? Quotes don't seem to work.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.