Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Hardship programs

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#1 queenmum

queenmum
  • Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:26 AM

To make a long story short... things have changed and we are having some difficulties paying all our bills. For awhile we were using credit cards to make it happen and now that the cards are close to maxing out we cannot do it anymore. We are looking to putting some of my DH's cards on hardship programs to try and help. We have never been late, yet. I do not want to go late, but is that required to get on the programs?? This is stressing us out!!

#2 slickman212

slickman212
  • Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:11 AM

Believe it or not, you probably have to be late, and get blacklisted before you can get accepted. Good news is you can probably do it 16-29 days late, and before it gets a 30 day ding on your personal report. If it's a biz account, you'll get a 1-30 day late on EQ biz.

#3 queenmum

queenmum
  • Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:44 AM

I am nervous about being late and then having them raise the rates to default levels only for them to tell me no on the hardship.

Anyone done the program with Citi or Chase?

Trying not to totally destroy credit.

#4 cardcardinsider

cardcardinsider
  • Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:22 AM

I am nervous about being late and then having them raise the rates to default levels only for them to tell me no on the hardship.

Anyone done the program with Citi or Chase?

Trying not to totally destroy credit.

Call to Citi.

They have hardship programs for accounts that are NOT pastdue. The APR go to 0-5.99% typicaly. The accounts are closed by the bank. The payment amounts are typically 1% of the current balance on the account. 20,000 balance would be a $200 payment.

#5 queenmum

queenmum
  • Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:32 AM

Thanks, I am going to have him try to call today, but have feeling this dept. does not work weekends. The program you just mentioned would help tremendously! Hope it works!

#6 queenmum

queenmum
  • Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:22 AM

Just wanted to update.. Was able to get at least one citi card into program, have to call on the other. It is 1% payment and 0% interest for a 12 months. It's a start! Going to try with Chase now....

#7 breeze

breeze

Site Owners & FC XXXVIII

• Admin
  • 46,679 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:25 AM

OP, Did they tell you what happens after the 12 months is up, or will this program pay off the balance in your situation.

#8 queenmum

queenmum
  • Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:21 PM

Checking on that now, he did not agree to it yet. Can you ask them to run the 0% longer or do you renew the program after a year?

Chase took the balance spread it over 5 years at 6%. Closed the account. The rate was 17% so that is 11% less and at least it will be gone.

#9 breeze

breeze

Site Owners & FC XXXVIII

• Admin
  • 46,679 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:19 PM

Wow! 17% for a hardship program? That's tough.

#10 breeze

breeze

Site Owners & FC XXXVIII

• Admin
  • 46,679 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:20 PM

I'm going to move this to the credit counseling, DMP forum, because we also cover payoff plans directly from the card companies, too.

#11 queenmum

queenmum
  • Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:37 PM

Wow! 17% for a hardship program? That's tough.

No, no it was 17%, now it is 6% for the 5 years.

#12 breeze

breeze

Site Owners & FC XXXVIII

• Admin
  • 46,679 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:48 PM

OIC :search:

#13 ts8586

ts8586
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:22 PM

Checking on that now, he did not agree to it yet. Can you ask them to run the 0% longer or do you renew the program after a year?

Chase took the balance spread it over 5 years at 6%. Closed the account. The rate was 17% so that is 11% less and at least it will be gone.

Queenmum (and anyone else with experience), how much info did Chase want? I'm about to do the same thing with them. I've got a good rate (3.99% for life), but they just jacked my minimum payment from 2% to 5%, like they did with many others.

Any advice you'd give before I try my luck?

#14 i8thegreenbean

i8thegreenbean
  • Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:55 PM

Queenmum (and anyone else with experience), how much info did Chase want? I'm about to do the same thing with them. I've got a good rate (3.99% for life), but they just jacked my minimum payment from 2% to 5%, like they did with many others.

Any advice you'd give before I try my luck?

I just did this 20 minutes ago. Look for my other thread in this room for the # I called, the number on the back of the card was of no help.

Account closed, 5 year repayment plan, 6% interest---lowered from 18%.

I had to provide: Salary, Mortgage, Auto loans, Minimum Credit Card payments. I generally guesstimated on the minimum card payments, as I didn't know the exact amount off the top of my head, I definitely understimated though.

#15 scottso

scottso
  • Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:38 AM

Do other CC companies, specifically Citi and BoA, offer a program like this?

#16 smartashjake

smartashjake
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:23 PM

I'm not sure about BoA or Citi, but Juniper (my statement came today and it now says Barclays) does. I did it about 4 months ago, it cut down the payment, my APR is 5.90% for the 12 months they gave me, but after the 12 months on the hardship program, it's back to my old payment and my old rate.

#17 ravrunner

ravrunner
  • Newbies
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:47 AM

going to try to do this with my cards now?

i'll keep you guys updated!

#18 ravrunner

ravrunner
  • Newbies
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 03:20 PM

Just did this we citi cards 5 minutes ago. I got the 12 month deal with 0% interest.

I had a hard time deciding on something and maybe someone can help me out before I do this on my other cards:

they were giving me 60 months no interest with a higher payment monthly, but it would close the account indifinetly. With the 12 months I have a chance that they can offer to open it again.

My question is which will hurt my credit score the most? they reporting it will take 5 years to pay the balance off or a short 12 month period of payment plan.

After the 12 months my interest will go back to 13.99%.

Any thoughts?

#19 21places

21places
  • Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:34 AM

Bump.....

#20 thisisme

thisisme
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:14 AM

Just did this we citi cards 5 minutes ago. I got the 12 month deal with 0% interest.

I had a hard time deciding on something and maybe someone can help me out before I do this on my other cards:

they were giving me 60 months no interest with a higher payment monthly, but it would close the account indifinetly. With the 12 months I have a chance that they can offer to open it again.

My question is which will hurt my credit score the most? they reporting it will take 5 years to pay the balance off or a short 12 month period of payment plan.

After the 12 months my interest will go back to 13.99%.

Any thoughts?

I just called Citibank and they basically told me they couldn't do anything for me because my account is current. Oh, wait, he did help me by telling me to pay my account down to a manageable level. :(

I called the number on the back of the card - did you use a diff phone number? What did you say to them that they gave you that option?

#21 ch46

ch46
  • Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:13 PM

Just curious as to which department at Citi you spoke with regarding this? I just got off the phone with Citi and spoke to a manager and they said they could lower my interest rate from 29.9% down to 14.9% and close the account. I inquired about the 60 months/0% payment plan that I had read about on here and they said they knew nothing of it.

#22 cristina47454

cristina47454
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 02:30 PM

I find this thread so interesting. Several months ago, I called BofA to inquire about a payment plan bcs I kept getting literature for it (even though I was current and it was the one cc of mine that had a good ratio). The end result was that they put me on the plan without my consent, dropped my limit like a bomb and closed the account. I was LIVID. In the meantime, it looks like almost all the cc companies are chasing limits and rate jacking and as though these payment plans are actually worth looking into.

Seems like all the rules are changing - is it possible that in light of the fact the cc companies are slamming EVERYBODY and so many people are closing accounts that the repercussions of high utilization (due to reduced limits), our oldest cards closing (and our history not being as aged), etc will not be nearly as painful once the dust has settled?

Edited by cristina47454, 16 November 2009 - 02:30 PM.

#23 ladyran

ladyran
  • Members
  • 831 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:05 PM

Did you get these in writing or at least record the call? Hooters told me of their plan, I gave them the info they requested, they said I qualified and I asked for it in writing. I recorded the call. When I received the paperwork it clearly said that the rate was only good for 2 months and then it would go back to the original terms. It also said I would be reported to the CRAs as in a payment program.

#24 bbatman

bbatman
  • Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:20 AM

Do other CC companies, specifically Citi and BoA, offer a program like this?

I am in this program for BAC. In 3/2008, had a balance of about 3100-, a lot of which were fees and interest. I made arrangements to shut down the card and pay an amount each month. My interest was and is capped at 4.25%. (Was at 29.99%). I can set up electronic payments over the phone or go online and pay. At 4.25%, it's possible to see a lot of progress in a short time. Staff was pretty helpful in setting this up. I didn't call a number on the card--it was one of the other departments--I hadn't paid for a few months, and was getting tired of running around and hiding things. Down to 850- right now.

PM me if you want the phone number, I think the office is in Virginia Beach or the vicinity.

#25 youngwidow

youngwidow
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:36 PM

I have never been late on anything and I was able to get into hardship programs with the following CC

(my husband died back in Feb- I was only 31, no life ins, tons of debt (charged by him in my name)

1- Citi bank- 5% for 9 months- Card NOT closed- (but is now b/c they want to raise me to 29.99% after Jan when the promo is up)

2- Citi Flex line of credit- 0% for 12 months- closed

3- BOA/MBNA- 5% for 5 years (pays off balance)- closed

4- Amex- 0% for 6 months on Blue card - Card NOT closed

Amex plat. card- 0% for 6 months- 9.99% after that - my monthly payment pays off my balance in 12 months- card NOT closed

5. GE money line of credit- cut my interest rate in half for 6 months- closed for the 6 months

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.