Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Hardship programs

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#51 papertrail

papertrail
  • Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:24 AM

US Bank is by far my highest card, I wrote to customer service and they gave me the address to the Hardship Department. When writing the letter, do I specifically ask if I qualify for a hardship program? I googled Hardship letters but they mostly deal with mortgages. I bank with them as well, so all they have to do is look at my account and see how much goes out in bills but should I also send other credit card statements which show interest rates?

Also, I e-mailed Citi and they won't give me the address for their hardship program, they want me to call. I just am leary about calling because I don't want to say the wrong thing and they deny me, i'm afraid i'll be really nervous I would rather write. Does anyone have the address for their hardship dept or is it automated like i read with another poster about Chase?

Thanks for your help.

#52 queenmum

queenmum
  • Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:00 PM

Chase is very easy and most likely you will get approved for it. Just sit down add up your bills and what you make and if you don't have any money left over they should do it. They will ask what is causing you problems. We said a decrease in income. Then they asked what we made a month, what we paid in cc, what we paid in car payments and that is pretty much it. All over the phone, no need to waste time writing letters. My husband did Citi, but I believe it was very easy too. Although it was only for one year.

Good luck. It is a good feeling to know you are making progress paying these cards off and not paying so much intrest.

#53 yellowrosetx

yellowrosetx
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:32 PM

I called Citi today about my husbands credit card. He is in construction and has not worked in almost a year. Like others we've been living off credit cards, now it has caught up to us. I was asked if I work, then was told that we don't qualify. They never asked about debt or income. She couldn't tell me why we didn't qualify, only that the computer determines who does or doesn't qualify. I told her we wouldn't be able to make the payment due on the 18th and she said to pay what we could, then call back on the 27th, after it bills again. Is this because we are current right now on the account?

#54 Guest_autumn_limco_*

Guest_autumn_limco_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:53 AM

i still go for Chase because it offers me less hassle. good thing that you found this thread and helped you out. continue making progress and don't be late.

#55 PennyPinching

PennyPinching
  • Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:06 PM

One word of advice with Chase though... Document everything and have them repeat back to you what the plan is before you hang up. Twice I have had them put me on a plan only to find out that they actually did not. I even had them tell me a payment was currently due on the card ending in 4478 only to find out that not only were they wrong but I had no card ending in 4478!
When I called back to see why I am not on the plan for card X, they tell me they no record of the conversation. Very frustrtating.
They were to put my last card on the plan (again), and call me back, but lo-and-behold, no callback.

So, just keep on them until you get the letter in the mail saying you are on the plan. Never assume.

EDIT: Also, you may get calls from their collection department asking for payment. The left hand doesn't care what the right hand is doing. Just tell them you are scheduled to start the plan and if you still show up as late after that, they are welcome to call you back. Collections just wants payment and will call until you are removed from their auto-callback system when the plan starts...

Edited by emtownsend, 12 January 2010 - 04:09 PM.

#56 zephdog

zephdog
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:18 PM

I am wondering if you know what the requirement is for approval of hardship -

Both lost jobs this year, so I'm sure that is qualifying event.

Do you have to have less money coming in than what you can pay (with cards at current rate)
but show them that you DO have enough money to pay the cards at a lower rate?

That sounds much better than falling behind or using debt settlement.

I have a citi card at 10.25 that runs 200 /mo. I want to call them to get in program but don't want to say wrong thing.

Thanks in advance

#57 emmie110

emmie110
  • Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:51 PM

I just wanted to share my dealings with the Citibank hardship program in case it helps someone else. I called Citi yesterday to get on the hardship program (888-579-9239). I was surprised at how nice and helpful they were. We have a 15k balance at 27.9% and I was 117 days past due. I told them my husband lost his job in September and I am also unemployed but looking. I thought I would have to provide info on our income or exact amount of our bills. They asked none of that. I told them my husband is working odd jobs to make the mortgage. I also pointed out to them that I have been a customer for 10 years and was never late on a payment until a few months ago and was hopping they could help me so I could start making payments again.

He asked what amount I could afford to pay. I said $100. Right off the bat, he offered me 12mo at 0% or 60mo at 0% which would pay it off. So the minimum payment for 12mo was $152 and the 60mo plan was $254. At first I told him I wanted the 60 mo plan and he asked if I thought I could afford that higher payment right now. We really can't. He said that you can get on a 'program' 3 times for the life of the account but only if you are late on your payments. He said after making the $152 payment for 12 months, the balance would bring me down to about $100 over the credit limit (the finance charges and late fees have really added up). Which means after 12 months - I would still be 'late' as far as the computer is concerned and could call back in and get on a program again - this time doing the 60 mo plan if I wanted. I went ahead and did the 12 month plan. We are barely making it with zero going to that card. Coming up with $152 will be enough of a challenge. Hopefully I can get on the plan again after a year - I would love to pay this balance off at 0% interest.

Also, there will be no late fees while on the program and they required auto draft from my checking. The first payment will be due 1/22 he said based on my stmt ending date. I did not have to pay the over limit amounts or back payments. For my credit report, he said they last reported me as 90 days late, and when I start paying they will report Payment Arrangements, Paid on time. Oh, and he said if I knew I wouldn't have the money on the date of a payment, to call within 3 days before to let them know to change the date or if I needed to change the bank acct info. If I do make a payment, he said make it before the next one is due and it will be ok - but you can only do that once and stay on the program. There was also some $14.95 fee for making payments this way, but he said he could waive 11 of them. I had to pay one $14.95 fee. Whatever - I didn't argue since I was so relieved he was nice and helpful and I didn't have to play games or call back to get my 0% interest.

Anyway - I hope that helps someone else and to those before me who posted - Thanks so much. Reading your posts and this board has helped me tremendously.

#58 zephdog

zephdog
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 10:21 AM

I had a great experience with citi yesterday - 1 year at 0% and it needs to autodraft from my account. He said if there is a problem, call 3 or 4 days before the draft to have them move it to a different date.
There was a one time $14.95 fee as you described, but no monthly fee.

Chase is a different story - they said I wasn't behind, so there is a process to go through and I will not know until next week if they will be helping. If so, they will lower my interest to 6% which cuts my payment in half. This would run for 1 year. No autodrafting needed.

In both of these programs I had to close my credit line permanently, and answer a few questions.

This board is most helpful; I didn't even know this was an option and was really thinking I'd have to use a settlement service.

#59 papertrail

papertrail
  • Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 07:35 PM

Thank you all for your help. I called Citi and was offered 6 months at 13%, closed account. To me this is a good deal because I am not currently behind and have never been more than a few days late. I was off on short term disability and was late a few times and with the fees it went over the limit. So they jacked up my interest rate to near 30% so my payment was more than double what it was before making it hard to make payments. I think to get the 0% you need to be behind. Just thought I'd share my experience. Thanks again to everyone. One more thing, they did not ask any income or debt questions, just asked how much I could comfortably afford.

#60 ladyran

ladyran
  • Members
  • 831 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:08 AM

I understand the need for a hardship program and know that consumers WANT to pay their bills and will do most anything they can to do that. BUT these creditors will also say most anything to get that money out of your hands into theirs!

With that said have any of you asked for the program in writing?

Let's take US Air - they called me and offered a one time payment as payment in full of the account. Offer letter that I requested said "we will note your account as settled in full. We will also forward this information to the consumer credit reporting agencies. This will result in your credit report showing a smaller portion of the loan as charged off." My account was not in CHARGE OFF status and this was never discussed and not part of the agreement! AND it was agreed to PAYMENT IN FULL!

AND let's add the 1099 not part of the agreement - again NEVER discussed!

My point is to make sure you understand EXACTLY what is happening. I can't tell you to record the calls because of each states laws BUT document the call and send a confirmation letter. Have a witness if you can. Go over every detail. What they say and what they do are entirely two different things.

And finally what happens after that 6 months or year IF you did not pay it off? Hooters tells you that they will renew the program and won't give it to you in writing and their letter clearly says you will go back to the original terms. AND they report you in a credit consuling program.

BIG RED Flag if they won't even give it to you in writing.

BE CAREFUL!

Edited by ladyran, 17 January 2010 - 10:11 AM.

#61 Golden Krust

Golden Krust
  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:05 PM

Thanks for the info as well, kw79. Can I ask how you got to the point to where they accepted you? Were you consistently late or several months behind?

I was actually never late, always paid on time and as much over the minimum as I could. The interest rate of 24% finally got to me though and I just wasn't paying down the balance. I told them I was looking for an interest rate reduction and was declined then I asked about this program as I told them I would like to apply.

This is where I am.

I contacted Citi and since I've never been late or missed a payment, they told me that I only qualified for a 3 month program, which I was not interested in. The service rep told me to pay SOME of the minimum balance by my next due date and then to call back. Since I would not have paid the minimum amount in full, the system could actually recognize that I needed more help than three months. I don't want to have to place an unnecessary ding on my credit report, but it looks like I may have to in order to actually qualify for the program.

I'm actually okay with them closing the card because the APR is toooo high.

#62 papertrail

papertrail
  • Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:56 PM

I understand the need for a hardship program and know that consumers WANT to pay their bills and will do most anything they can to do that. BUT these creditors will also say most anything to get that money out of your hands into theirs!

With that said have any of you asked for the program in writing?

Let's take US Air - they called me and offered a one time payment as payment in full of the account. Offer letter that I requested said "we will note your account as settled in full. We will also forward this information to the consumer credit reporting agencies. This will result in your credit report showing a smaller portion of the loan as charged off." My account was not in CHARGE OFF status and this was never discussed and not part of the agreement! AND it was agreed to PAYMENT IN FULL!

AND let's add the 1099 not part of the agreement - again NEVER discussed!

My point is to make sure you understand EXACTLY what is happening. I can't tell you to record the calls because of each states laws BUT document the call and send a confirmation letter. Have a witness if you can. Go over every detail. What they say and what they do are entirely two different things.

And finally what happens after that 6 months or year IF you did not pay it off? Hooters tells you that they will renew the program and won't give it to you in writing and their letter clearly says you will go back to the original terms. AND they report you in a credit consuling program.

BIG RED Flag if they won't even give it to you in writing.

BE CAREFUL!

I don't know with other cards, but with Citi, they make the offer over the phone but nothing goes into effect until you get a confirmation letter in the mail and you make your first payment.

#63 miyahsmom

miyahsmom
  • Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:27 PM

I am on the Citi hardship program. I have 2 cards (around 8k) on 0% for 12 months. All of the payments had to be autodrafted ahead of time and they send you a letter every month before the the payment will be debited from your account. I was about 60 days behind before they let me join. They closed both of the cards but after 4 mos. of payments I started getting calls nonstop to reopen them for Prime +10.99%.

Amex put me on 6 mos. @ 6% interest and will not let me extend the offer. Both accounts have now been referred to a CA.

BofA referred me to Take Charge America and they said I didn't have enough in my budget to set up an arrangement. BofA (around 6k) has gone unpaid for about 4 months now. No calls, no letters, nothing. I wonder what's going on here.

#64 zephdog

zephdog
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:33 AM

It is always a good idea to get things in writing.I went over the details point by point with CITI and they will be sending a letter today. After the program the card goes back to prime plus 10% if I want to reopen. I wasn't behind on my citi cards but explained that I would not be able to make my payment starting this month and thus, would be behind.

Today I call chase to see if I was approved for the hardship exception (again, because I was on time I don't automatically qualify)

#65 infinite

infinite
  • Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:19 AM

so what happens if you have the real hardship of being unemployed/underemployed, and that's the reason u can't afford the credit card bills? if they think u arent making enough money (as in unemployed) to pay on a lower interest rate, aren't they going to just deny u?
will they let u into a hardship prog if u have been paying up to date?

#66 Golden Krust

Golden Krust
  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:53 PM

It is always a good idea to get things in writing.I went over the details point by point with CITI and they will be sending a letter today. After the program the card goes back to prime plus 10% if I want to reopen. I wasn't behind on my citi cards but explained that I would not be able to make my payment starting this month and thus, would be behind.

Today I call chase to see if I was approved for the hardship exception (again, because I was on time I don't automatically qualify)

Please share how you were able to do this with Citi! What information did they ask you for? What information did you provide? They told me that since my account is current that nothing is available.

#67 Golden Krust

Golden Krust
  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:12 PM

To people who called Citi: did they ask you questions like if you were able to get a second job or able to sell some of your personal items? <_<

#68 Andromeda76

Andromeda76
  • Members
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:24 PM

Well I tried with Chase and I was declined. I think it's because I never been no more than 15 days late paying the bill. But the interest on my cards with them is so high, I'm dishing out about $200/month in interest alone. I'm going to give them a call tommorrow and try a different tatic.

I'm using my tax return to pay off all of my toy cards (I need those); so those are good. Plus, I have a Citi card I'm going to get reduced. I don't really care if I get blacklisted for credit cards, you can ALWAYS get a credit card!

I just called Citibank (I only owe $2400) but I am at the default interest rate of 29%. So the representative said I will know in a few days if I've been approved or not for a reduction in interest rate. I never been more than 10 days late with this account; so hopefully they can reduce my interest rate. I'm going to do a follow up call tomorrow. She also stated if I'm not approved then Citi would do the autodraft, reduced interest, blah blah.

Edited by Andromeda76, 08 February 2010 - 10:36 PM.

#69 Golden Krust

Golden Krust
  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:37 PM

I was accepted into the Citi hardship program for both of my Citi cards. $50 bucks a month for 12 months.

If only I get lucky with Chase. They said I didn't qualify for their hardship program and referred me to a company that is not a Chase subsidiary. I think it was called MMI or something like that. Has anyone had a similar experience or dealt with this other company based on Chase's referral?

#70 geneva54

geneva54
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:33 PM

I was accepted into the Citi hardship program for both of my Citi cards. $50 bucks a month for 12 months.

If only I get lucky with Chase. They said I didn't qualify for their hardship program and referred me to a company that is not a Chase subsidiary. I think it was called MMI or something like that. Has anyone had a similar experience or dealt with this other company based on Chase's referral?

Yes I was trying to work something out with Chase and after endless transfers they referred me to some company called Nova Debt. I talked to them and they were supposed to send me an email with an application to fill out. Never got it so I guess I will call again on Monday and start all over.
Sure would be nice to deal with people other than ones that obviously outsourced from some other country.

#71 RM21

RM21
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:02 PM

I just tried calling about the Citi Hardship program. I called 888-579-9239 as posted in some posts above and they said they couldn't help me unless my account was past due. I'm current on both of my Citi accounts but my wife lost her job in November and we've been struggling to make the payments. Is there a different number to call?

#72 Andromeda76

Andromeda76
  • Members
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:38 PM

Yes I was trying to work something out with Chase and after endless transfers they referred me to some company called Nova Debt. I talked to them and they were supposed to send me an email with an application to fill out. Never got it so I guess I will call again on Monday and start all over.
Sure would be nice to deal with people other than ones that obviously outsourced from some other country.

I would you suggest that you lower your monthly salary. Or up the payments of your mortgage or something to that effect. It may be unethical but Chase is not going to ask for a copy of your mortgage payment, bills, etc.

I know someone who had to do that.

Edited by Andromeda76, 04 March 2010 - 06:38 PM.

#73 Andromeda76

Andromeda76
  • Members
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:40 PM

I just tried calling about the Citi Hardship program. I called 888-579-9239 as posted in some posts above and they said they couldn't help me unless my account was past due. I'm current on both of my Citi accounts but my wife lost her job in November and we've been struggling to make the payments. Is there a different number to call?

Try allowing your account only going like 5 to 10 days over the due date or better yet call past the due date (don't let the account hit 30 days). I tried that and I was considered.

#74 geneva54

geneva54
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:22 PM

I called Chase again and this time was more past due (not 30 days) and has my debts and income. Was creative with the figures alittle bit. They gave me 10% for 9 months at $60 per month.
Not the best deal but I was at 29.99% so I took what I could. I figure in 9 months I can talk to them again. This time the first person I talked to set me up. You have to be late with Chase or expect a big hassle.

#75 byronm

byronm
  • Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:43 PM

I called Chase this morning at got my 9300.00 balance in their 12 month at 8% program. I make my next payment of 262.00 and then 12 auto-drafts of 141.

141 is a HUGE difference and since we're currently at 29.9% (never being late ONCE mind you!) and we make a bigger dent in our balance paying 141 a month at 8% than paying 262 at 29.9 - MUCH bigger dent.

We wanted the flexibility of having the extra 120 a month to pay bills or to pay the balance down further and they agreed to that, said it wouldn't be a problem.

Now time to call citi

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.