Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Costco Pharmacy.. if someone picks up your narcotic prescrption whatever, but we want your ID if you use CREDIT CARD

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Need More RWHP

Need More RWHP
  • Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:27 AM

They never give me trouble, regardless of what the prescription is. I've never been ID'd for it when I pay cash, not once, to make sure that I'm the patient whom the controlled substance was prescribed to.

Last time, I paid with AMEX. The pharmacist technician got in my face about showing them the ID for AMEX, not to ensure I'm the patient whom the DEA schedule III narcotics were prescribed to.

I was asked for ID. I asked why. They said "because you're using a credit card and they're concerned about protecting me". I said "protecting me whatever, you're concerned about protecting your own ass".

Conclusion: the COSTCO pharmacy apparently don't give a damn who uses who's prescription, as long as they're paid for it. They're more concerned about unfounded fear that they might get a charge back from a stolen credit card.

Another shady thing about COSTCO. They'll require you to sign the HIPAA thing to pick up the prescription, saying that you've read the blah blah blah documents ordering you to "just sign it" and when you ask for the said documents, they don't have it available! WTF?

Edited by Need More RWHP, 29 July 2009 - 04:47 AM.

#2 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:12 AM

They never give me trouble, regardless of what the prescription is. I've never been ID'd for it when I pay cash, not once, to make sure that I'm the patient whom the controlled substance was prescribed to.

Last time, I paid with AMEX. The pharmacist technician got in my face about showing them the ID for AMEX, not to ensure I'm the patient whom the DEA schedule III narcotics were prescribed to.

I was asked for ID. I asked why. They said "because you're using a credit card and they're concerned about protecting me". I said "protecting me whatever, you're concerned about protecting your own ass".

Conclusion: the COSTCO pharmacy apparently don't give a damn who uses who's prescription, as long as they're paid for it. They're more concerned about unfounded fear that they might get a charge back from a stolen credit card.

Another shady thing about COSTCO. They'll require you to sign the HIPAA thing to pick up the prescription, saying that you've read the blah blah blah documents ordering you to "just sign it" and when you ask for the said documents, they don't have it available! WTF?

SO DID YOU BEND-OVER AND SHOW IT

:dntknw:

#3 Uncle Leo

Uncle Leo
  • Bloggers
  • 8,701 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:31 AM

You had me. You lost me at "unfounded".

#4 cljohnr

cljohnr
  • Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:08 PM

The sky is blue.
I was asked for ID.

Apparently they don't care that the sky is blue, but they have the nerve to ask for my ID.

I don't understand what the policy on prescriptions has to do with their tender policy. They are two distinct, unrelated issues.

#5 thelowpriceleader

thelowpriceleader
  • Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:02 PM

Were you buying the prescription as a non-member? Not that it should make any difference. But the members technically show ID by way of the membership card that could be compared to the credit card.

I find it hilarious that pharmacies will dispense prescriptions so openly, just say the name and get the goods.

#6 azntg

azntg
  • Members
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:46 AM

I think American Express' ID policy stems by extension of their "treat Amex cardholders the same as Visa/MC cardholders" policy. But if Costco isn't accepting Visa/MC to begin with, they might be technically in the right to ask for ID. Don't hold me against it though, it's only my speculation.

I find it hilarious that pharmacies will dispense prescriptions so openly, just say the name and get the goods.

Though don't get me wrong. I think it is kinda messed up that in many pharmacies, just mentioning a name is enough to get the pills without any earnest attempt in verification (of course, except in cases where a representatively regularly picks up prescriptions on behalf of others. Still some value in being a regular sometimes)

#7 hurricanesfans27

hurricanesfans27

CB ombudsman

• Forum Leads
  • 18,492 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 01:04 AM

I have no problem paying with a dc or a cc at CVS when I pick up my drugs they ask for my birthday and thats it.

#8 Uncle Leo

Uncle Leo
  • Bloggers
  • 8,701 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:15 AM

I think American Express' ID policy stems by extension of their "treat Amex cardholders the same as Visa/MC cardholders" policy. But if Costco isn't accepting Visa/MC to begin with, they might be technically in the right to ask for ID. Don't hold me against it though, it's only my speculation.

That's an interesting point.

I don't like Amex' "be like them" policy, though. I'd rather they grow a backbone and make their own.

#9 thelowpriceleader

thelowpriceleader
  • Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 03:09 PM

I'm wondering if AmEx is, how should we put this, not as good about paying for fraud as the Visa/MC issuing banks are...

#10 Need More RWHP

Need More RWHP
  • Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:26 PM

That's an interesting point.

I don't like Amex' "be like them" policy, though. I'd rather they grow a backbone and make their own.

Yep, I use their pharmacy as a non-member, because I'm allowed to do so by law.

Yeah, I guess so, but they made it VERY transparent that they really couldn't care less who's picking up Schedule II narcotics. They're more concerned that someone might pay that $10 with a credit card not endorsed by a driver's license than they are about someone making off with narcotics not prescribed to them and paying cash. In the eyes of Costco, who gives a damn as long as the pills are paid for?

I wonder what they'll say if you just go up to the pharmacy tech and tell them I want those pill, how much, I don't have a prescription, but I'll pay cash, you don't care right???

#11 Credit Savvy

Credit Savvy
  • CB JAIL
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 01:54 AM

SO DID YOU BEND-OVER AND SHOW IT

:D

Did you bend-over and show it, or did you bend-over and take it? Next time simply call 1-800-VISA-911. They will walk the violating cashier step-by-step through proper card acceptance procedure.

CREDIT CARD SIGNATURE IS ALL THE ID NEEDED

When you pay for merchandise with a Visa card, MasterCard, or American Express any store that accepts these cards should accept yours too, no questions asked. It's part of the deal that merchants agree to when they become participating members.

They must check your signature and the card - electronically or by telephone - to be sure it's valid. Once the answer comes up yes, they can go ahead and charge. They can't ask you for any further identification - not a license plate number, Social Security number, proof of address, phone number or photo ID.

Your personal ID isn't needed because Visa, MasterCard, and American Express all guarantee payment on cards that have been properly checked. If the issuer mistakenly authorizes a sale on a bad card, it should make good. MasterCard says that merchants receive instant settlement. The contract MasterCard merchants sign specifically prevents them from asking for personal ID.

Unfortunately, not all merchants play by the rules. Some, apparently, haven't read them.

WHAT YOU CAN DO

MasterCard wants to hear about merchants who break their rules. Send the name and address and an account of what happened to MasterCard WorldWide 2000 Purchase St. Purchase, NY 10577 or call 1-800-300-3069. The merchant's bank will get a stiff letter, ordering it to investigate and bring the offending store into line - or pay a $2,000 fine. You may also report violations online:

http://www.mastercar...violations.html

Visa enforces the same rules as MasterCard. "When we hear about a violation, we ask the bank that signed the merchant to get together with the merchant and see that the practice is stopped," Visa representative states. Violations of Visa’s Operating Regulations result in fines of no less than $5,000. To report a merchant, write to Visa Inc. P.O. Box 8999 San Francisco, CA 94128-8999 or call 1-800-VISA-911.

American Express also prohibits merchants from asking for IDs. "All a merchant is supposed to do is take an imprint, make sure the signature matches and swipe the card through the terminal, to get authorization." Report violations to: American Express P.O. Box 297812 Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33329-7812 or call 1-800-528-4800 or report online: http://americanexpress.com/yourchoice

#12 hurricanesfans27

hurricanesfans27

CB ombudsman

• Forum Leads
  • 18,492 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:54 AM

canned response city here

#13 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:37 AM

canned response city here

FEEL FREE TO ADD YOUR OWN WORDS SINCE THESE ARE 100% FALSE
========================
NO CANNED RESPONSE CRAP THAT YOU KEEP ON TALKING ABOUT THIS WAS TYPED FROM SCRATCH

Edited by GEORGE, 08 September 2009 - 09:38 AM.

#14 tedjones666

tedjones666
  • Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:57 AM

It's funny when I pick up my goodies I never got Id'd once, a simple name and boom, sign your life away, heck I could just know someone who gets them every month, and boom your set, no proof at all, It's sad too since all these drugs are so regulated yet pharmacy's do jack **** about protecting them once you pay using cash

Edited by Stryker, 09 March 2010 - 10:02 AM.
profanity removed; please refer to TOS.

#15 lolipop

lolipop
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:07 PM

It's funny when I pick up my goodies I never got Id'd once, a simple name and boom, sign your life away, heck I could just know someone who gets them every month, and boom your set, no proof at all, It's sad too since all these drugs are so regulated yet pharmacy's do jack **** about protecting them once you pay using cash

More power to cash :lol:?

#16 Equation

Equation
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:45 AM

Costco also accepts Visa and MasterCard, so that was not the reason.

#17 BBQ123

BBQ123
  • Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:36 AM

Costco only takes American Express credit cards, but they do accept debit cards (as debit) I think.

#18 Equation

Equation
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 09:50 AM

Visa and MasterCard debit cards are accepted in-store, and both Visa and MasterCard credit and debit cards are accepted at costco.com. So if you're harassed in-store, use Visa or MasterCard debit instead.

#19 BBQ123

BBQ123
  • Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:16 PM

Visa and MasterCard debit cards are accepted in-store, and both Visa and MasterCard credit and debit cards are accepted at costco.com. So if you're harassed in-store, use Visa or MasterCard debit instead.

But the Visa/MasterCard debit cards when used in-store have to be used with a PIN number, right?

#20 green2408

green2408
  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:12 PM

They don't take my visa credit card. As far as I know they will only take a debit card. I've always assumed that because they are so low on prices that they don't want to pay for any incentives or miles ar anything.

#21 Equation

Equation
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:12 PM

<!--quoteo(post=4307032:date=Oct 1 2010, 09:50 AM:name=Equation)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Equation @ Oct 1 2010, 09:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=4307032"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Visa and MasterCard debit cards are accepted in-store, and both Visa and MasterCard credit and debit cards are accepted at costco.com. So if you're harassed in-store, use Visa or MasterCard debit instead.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But the Visa/MasterCard debit cards when used in-store have to be used with a PIN number, right?

Right, so donít forget your PIN or youíll be SOL.

#22 BBQ123

BBQ123
  • Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:53 PM

Costco has a deal with American Express where they get lower interchange rates in return to making American Express exclusively the only credit card they accept.

Costco takes cash, check, and debit cards (as DEBIT transactions where you use a PIN.) The debit card can be a Visa/MasterCard debit card, but it is not processed as a Visa/MasterCard, rather it's processed over the debit network (eg. Pulse, STAR, Cirrus) - most debit cards list a network on the back.

Costco also offers a co-branded American Express rewards card. If you sign-up, there's a $25 credit (covers half the membership cost for Costco): http://www201.americ...co-TrueEarnings

If you shop at Costco, you'll notice that they do not display Visa/MasterCard logos in store, as they don't accept them. They display the AmEx logos, as well as have signs indicating they take their own gift/cash cards, checks, cash, and debit.

#23 Equation

Equation
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:29 AM

Costco accepts these:

No questions asked. No ID needed.

#24 BBQ123

BBQ123
  • Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 09:22 PM

Costco accepts these:

No questions asked. No ID needed.

Costco (in store) accepts Visa and MasterCard debit cards as debit cards. You have to enter a PIN number to use them. If you are the type of person who uses their check card as "credit" and signs all the time (which is actually the best way to use them for fraud protection) and forgot your PIN because you never use it, you'll be out of luck at Costco.

#25 gj83

gj83
  • Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:55 AM

The costco pharmacies are supposed to take FSA cards which could be Mastercard or Visa depending on the FSA administrator. They are technically "debit" cards, but mine does not have a PIN and says it should always be run as credit.

The FSA company my company uses issues duplicate cards in the same name as the primary card so if I had an extra card for DH it would still have my name. I also never changed the name on my FSA card when I changed my name so the last name doesn't match me and neither name matches DH, but according to the terms of my FSA account this is the way they operate. Thus a perfect example where checking ID would invalidate a perfectly valid transaction.

I haven't used my FSA card at Costco since only the pharmacy and optical areas are supposed to accept them and I mail order my prescriptions.

Edited by gj83, 10 November 2010 - 11:56 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.