Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

class-action lawsuits against retailers asking for ZIP-codes

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#26 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:19 PM

ZIP CODE or DRIVER'S LICENSE

Both illegal. Hence the lawsuits..

:mellow:

DRIVER'S LICENSE NO WAY

ZIP CODE IS FINE WITH ME

Edited by GEORGE, 13 April 2009 - 06:22 PM.

#27 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:29 PM

Are you familiar with the broken window theory? Sociological research suggests that non-enforcement of minor violations of laws or rules encourages further violations from others, resulting in a viscous cycle that continues to breed breaches of what is defined as acceptable behavior.

This isn't esoteric stuff. People are more likely to litter if a city does not respond to a litter problem with cleaning and enforcement. The mere presence of litter is likely to breed more litter, as those who are not inherently inclined to litter feel that they aren't creating a problem that doesn't already exist.

#28 Curious

Curious
  • Members
  • 11,333 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:31 PM

I have no problem giving out my zip code. There are thousands of other folks with the same zip code. No BIG deal for me. :huh:

#29 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:33 PM

I have no problem giving out my zip code. There are thousands of other folks with the same zip code. No BIG deal for me. :huh:

SOME CITIES HAVE 25,000--->100,000 (or more) PEOPLE WITH THE SAME ZIP CODE

Edited by GEORGE, 13 April 2009 - 06:34 PM.

#30 centex

centex
  • Members
  • 18,370 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:36 PM

Are you familiar with the broken window theory? Sociological research suggests that non-enforcement of minor violations of laws or rules encourages further violations from others, resulting in a viscous cycle that continues to breed breaches of what is defined as acceptable behavior.

This isn't esoteric stuff. People are more likely to litter if a city does not respond to a litter problem with cleaning and enforcement. The mere presence of litter is likely to breed more litter, as those who are not inherently inclined to litter feel that they aren't creating a problem that doesn't already exist.

do you EVER have an original thought? You know, something other than copy and paste of OTHER PEOPLE'S WORK?

I dare say that seeking a ZIP for demographic tracking has absolutely NOTHING to do with sociological theories on crime...and yes, I am QUITE familiar with the theory, having incorporated it into various writings during the late 80's and early 90's related to the non-response on domestic violence in a specific set of circumstances.

#31 dave7250

dave7250
  • Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:00 PM

This is slightly off subject but I never could figure out why Lowe's always asks me for the last four digits on my card.

Why bother having a self-serving card swiping machine only to ask me for the last four digits.

Why not just take the card and swipe it themselves and save me the trouble of having to dig it out again.

Edited by dave7250, 13 April 2009 - 08:02 PM.

#32 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:08 PM

This is slightly off subject but I never could figure out why Lowe's always asks me for the last four digits on my card.

Why bother having a self-serving card swiping machine only to ask me for the last four digits.

Why not just take the card and swipe it themselves and save me the trouble of having to dig it out again.

IT IS A DOUBLE CHECK

The POST OFFICE types in the last 4 every time I use my credit cards

"IF" you had a CLOANED CARD with different numbers on the front than was being charged...THE SALE WOULD BE DENIED

#33 ny86yanks

ny86yanks
  • Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:32 PM

i disagree with this

thats why prices go up..people sue for stupid things....

#34 athensgaguy

athensgaguy
  • Members
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:45 PM

i disagree with this

thats why prices go up..people sue for stupid things....

Well, this suit probably has merit, so the folks doing the asking should have done a little more research to avoid this problem.

#35 mikkopel

mikkopel
  • Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:53 PM

Does Radio Shack still ask for your phone number when you buy batteries? :P

#36 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:07 PM

Does Radio Shack still ask for your phone number when you buy batteries? :P

I got sales papers BECAUSE they were given my name and address

The phone number was a SHORT CUT to the name and address

Have not been to one in like 5 or 10 years

I liked the sales papers in the mail

I AM NOT LIKE SOME WHO FEAR MAIL IN THEIR MAILBOX

#37 unleashedfury

unleashedfury
  • Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:13 PM

I know for a fact that KMart asks for zipcodes and i asked why>??/ they told me its to see where most of their customers are from and how far they are traveling to shop at KMART.... well if i am on vacation in like Kansas or something hell they can have my zip code if they really think i am gonna travel that far for a kmart store....

As far as this Class action gig... its just some fancy prancy lawyers looking to score some cash.

#38 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:17 PM

I know for a fact that KMart asks for zipcodes and i asked why>??/ they told me its to see where most of their customers are from and how far they are traveling to shop at KMART.... well if i am on vacation in like Kansas or something hell they can have my zip code if they really think i am gonna travel that far for a kmart store....

As far as this Class action gig... its just some fancy prancy lawyers looking to score some cash.

DOWNTOWN LA--->90021

I use one of my CA ZIP CODES "IF" they are just asking ZIP CODE for a survey

Edited by GEORGE, 13 April 2009 - 09:18 PM.

#39 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:38 PM

Some attorneys are filing class actions against retailers alleging that retailers can't ask customers for any information at the time of a credit-card transaction - even ZIPcodes - without breaking the law. A class-action lawsuit was filed against Old Navy challenging this very practice.

If they cannot demonstrate the same question is asked of people paying cash, I hope they get SLAPP'ed silly.

It’s illegal regardless of whatever their irrelevant cash customer policy may be.

In addition to the credit card rules, state laws prohibit merchants from requiring additional information when accepting credit cards. Merchants cannot make note of your phone number, address, driver's license or other personal information. They can't even hint to consumers that such information is required. Consumers can sue merchants that require additional information with credit card transactions and win big money. Civil penalties of $250 for the first violation and $1,000 for subsequent violations are awarded to consumers when merchants break this law.

CREDIT CARD SIGNATURE IS ALL THE ID NEEDED

When you pay for merchandise with a Visa card, MasterCard, or American Express any store that accepts these cards should accept yours too, no questions asked. It's part of the deal that merchants agree to when they become participating members.

They must check your signature and the card - electronically or by telephone - to be sure it's valid. Once the answer comes up yes, they can go ahead and charge. They can't ask you for any further identification - not a license plate number, Social Security number, proof of address, phone number or photo ID.

Your personal ID isn't needed because Visa, MasterCard, and American Express all guarantee payment on cards that have been properly checked. If the issuer mistakenly authorizes a sale on a bad card, it should make good. MasterCard says that merchants receive instant settlement. The contract MasterCard merchants sign specifically prevents them from asking for personal ID.

Unfortunately, not all merchants play by the rules. Some, apparently, haven't read them.

WHAT YOU CAN DO

MasterCard wants to hear about merchants who break their rules. Send the name and address and an account of what happened to MasterCard WorldWide 2000 Purchase St. Purchase, NY 10577 or call 1-800-300-3069. The merchant's bank will get a stiff letter, ordering it to investigate and bring the offending store into line - or pay a $2,000 fine. You may also report violations online:

http://www.mastercar...violations.html

Visa enforces the same rules as MasterCard. "When we hear about a violation, we ask the bank that signed the merchant to get together with the merchant and see that the practice is stopped," Visa representative states. To report a merchant, send a letter to the bank that that issued your Visa card or call 1-800-VISA-911.

American Express also prohibits merchants from asking for IDs. "All a merchant is supposed to do is take an imprint, make sure the signature matches and swipe the card through the terminal, to get authorization."

#40 pryan67

pryan67

Mikey, the Life cereal kid

• Mod Squad
  • 49,118 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:44 AM

Continental....

I've asked you several times before....

WHAT FEDERAL LAW IS BEING BROKEN?

As everyone here knows, I'm all FOR using the court system to enforce your rights if necessary...

but this is plain silly...it's someone looking for a quick settlement...

hey...here's my zip code 60604....

now...use that to identify me (after all, that's what "identifying information" is for, right, identifying people)

please....feel free to do so

#41 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:02 AM

NOT CREDIT CARD SPECIFIC

I guess the "SURVEY" side was forgotten about???

Edited by GEORGE, 14 April 2009 - 06:08 AM.

#42 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:10 AM

AT THIS POINT...asking for a ZIP CODE is legal and permitted by credit card policy

#43 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:08 PM

Illegal in California. Hence the lawsuits..

#44 thelowpriceleader

thelowpriceleader
  • Members
  • 559 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:25 PM

Kmart's register system has the following zip-code payment processing prompts:

Cash: no zip code
Check: no zip code
Kmart Gift Card/Sears Gift Card: no zip code
American Express: zip code required- must match billing address- screen displays prompt "ENTER BILLING ZIP CODE" after card is swiped.
Visa/MC/Discover/Sears/PIN Debit: screen displays prompt "RE ENTER BILLING ZIP CODE" after card is swiped. You can type in whatever zip code you want or hit cancel and your transaction will process. It does not have to match anything and these zip codes ARE collected for marketing purposes.

#45 Uncle Leo

Uncle Leo
  • Bloggers
  • 8,701 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:08 AM

American Express: zip code required- must match billing address- screen displays prompt "ENTER BILLING ZIP CODE" after card is swiped.
Visa/MC/Discover/Sears/PIN Debit: screen displays prompt "RE ENTER BILLING ZIP CODE" after card is swiped. You can type in whatever zip code you want or hit cancel and your transaction will process. It does not have to match anything and these zip codes ARE collected for marketing purposes.

I rarely shop at K-mart so I have never experienced this specifically, but most other stores where I have been asked I was verbally asked by the cashier regardless of payment type.

#46 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:31 AM

THE ONE TIME IN THE PAST 15 YEARS I WEENT TO K-MART...they asked for ID on my credit card...I said NO the card is signed on the back...then she said oh it is AMEX..."ZIP CODE ONLY"

#47 centex

centex
  • Members
  • 18,370 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:24 AM

for those that really want to know...

78746 with a touch of 78701 for good measure

#48 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 68,309 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:27 PM

I am not a credit card thief and if a retailer treats me like one I react accordingly.

#49 hlburi

hlburi

Colonel Mustard

• Members
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:37 PM

LIKE I HAVE ROOM ON THE WALL FOR ANOTHER $0.18 CLASS ACTION CHECK

Worth every penny to stop these crooks from demanding zip codes at POS.

good...next time you are at the pay at the pump, can you tell me so I can come and watch you argue with the machine. :rofl:

Edited by hlburi, 20 April 2009 - 06:38 PM.

#50 hlburi

hlburi

Colonel Mustard

• Members
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:42 PM

I rarely shop at K-mart so I have never experienced this specifically, but most other stores where I have been asked I was verbally asked by the cashier regardless of payment type.

Walgreens also ALWAYS asks for zip when using an Amex card

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.