Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Info on reporting violations

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:19 PM

Here is a number for VISA:

1-800-VISA-911

and a website for Mastercard

http://www.mastercar...violations.html

CREDIT CARD SIGNATURE IS ALL THE ID NEEDED

When you pay for merchandise with a Visa card, MasterCard, or American Express any store that accepts these cards should accept yours too, no questions asked. It's part of the deal that merchants agree to when they become participating members.

They must check your signature and the card - electronically or by telephone - to be sure it's valid. Once the answer comes up yes, they can go ahead and charge. They can't ask you for any further identification - not a license plate number, Social Security number, proof of address, phone number or picture ID.

Your personal ID isn't needed because Visa, MasterCard, and American Express all guarantee payment on cards that have been properly checked. If the issuer mistakenly authorizes a sale on a bad card, it should make good. MasterCard says that merchants receive instant settlement. The contract MasterCard merchants sign specifically prevents them from asking for personal ID.

Unfortunately, not all merchants play by the rules. Some, apparently, haven't read them.

WHAT YOU CAN DO

MasterCard wants to hear about merchants who break their rules. Send the name and address and an account of what happened to MasterCard WorldWide 2000 Purchase St. Purchase, NY 10577 or call 1-800-300-3069. The merchant's bank will get a stiff letter, ordering it to investigate and bring the offending store into line - or pay a $2,000 fine. You may also report violations online:

Visa enforces the same rules as MasterCard. "When we hear about a violation, we ask the bank that signed the merchant to get together with the merchant and see that the practice is stopped," Visa representative states. To report a merchant, send a letter to the bank that that issued your Visa card or call 1-800-VISA-911.

American Express also prohibits merchants from asking for IDs. "All a merchant is supposed to do is take an imprint, make sure the signature matches and swipe the card through the terminal, to get authorization."

#2 gj83

gj83
  • Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:08 PM

Does anyone else have trouble using Mastercard's online reporting form with Firefox? I always have to use IE or an IE tab in firefox to get the form to submit.

#3 edthecncman

edthecncman
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:39 PM

Is there any way to report the offenders without giving my life history? I just want to report the infraction with a pic of the note without going into detail of who I am, my address, my e-mail. etc. etc. etc.

#4 Guest_Authorization_*

Guest_Authorization_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:45 PM

Is there any way to report the offenders without giving my life history?

No life history needed.

#5 BehindFalseFlags

BehindFalseFlags
  • Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:43 PM

American Express also prohibits merchants from asking for IDs. "All a merchant is supposed to do is take an imprint, make sure the signature matches and swipe the card through the terminal, to get authorization."

Do they? I got into it with a merchant earlier today about this. Left the store without buying anything. I called Amex and got an Indian customer service rep. After their usual groveling routine they're all trained to do over there for some reason, she said it's not a violation of their agreement but she'll pass on my concerns to management (yeah right).

Where is the official place where I could see this rule and cite it? How do I report the merchant to Amex?

#6 Guest_Sprightly_*

Guest_Sprightly_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:23 AM

Amex prohibits discrimination against the Amex card. Merchants cannot require ID with Visa/MC and cannot discriminate against Amex by attempting to require ID with Amex.

Report violations to:

American Express
Make a report online: http://americanexpress.com/yourchoice
Phone Number: 1-800-528-4800 (International: 1-336-393-1111)
Mailing Address:
American Express
P.O. Box 297812
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33329-7812

"My Amex merchant's agreement said that you were NOT to ask for ID for an authorized charge under penalty of having your acceptance privileges rescinded. If it was a bad charge and Amex authorized it, you'd never know, because the retailer always got paid."

#7 BBQ123

BBQ123
  • Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:56 PM

Also Visa has online reporting now:

https://usa.visa.com...ees/contact.jsp

#8 Equation

Equation
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:00 AM

Also Visa has online reporting now:

https://usa.visa.com...ees/contact.jsp

Check box #3: "...refused to accept your Visa card."

Then type under Comments: "Merchant demanded ID as a condition of sale/refused to accept Visa without a driver's license." or whatever the case may be.

#9 FCB2700

FCB2700
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:09 PM

http://www.mastercard.com/us/personal/en/c...violations.html

The above mastercard link doesn't seem to be working anymore. It redirects to a page about privacy policy questions.

Edited by FCB2700, 18 January 2011 - 07:10 PM.

#10 Castleton

Castleton
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:45 AM

The updated URL for reporting merchant violations to MasterCard is:

Never show ID with credit cards.

No ID required with credit cards. Merchants cannot require ID.

If a merchant tries to require ID, immediately call 1-800-VISA-911 to ensure they never do again.

VISA: 1-800-VISA-911
MasterCard: 1-800-300-3069

Also easily report merchant violations online:

Check the box that says "Merchant required ID"

Make sure your community is 100% violation-free.

#11 waterlili

waterlili
  • Members
  • 500 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:06 PM

Trying to use the online Visa form. I can fill it in, but get a page not found error when I try to submit.

#12 waterlili

waterlili
  • Members
  • 500 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:29 PM

I still can't use either online report site. Mastercard asks for a ID and password. Visa says page not found after I submit. Any suggestions?

#13 ptkdude

ptkdude
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:05 PM

1278314601[/url]' post='4222015']
Amex prohibits discrimination against the Amex card. Merchants cannot require ID with Visa/MC and cannot discriminate against Amex by attempting to require ID with Amex.

Report violations to:

American Express
Make a report online: http://americanexpress.com/yourchoice
Phone Number: 1-800-528-4800 (International: 1-336-393-1111)
Mailing Address:
American Express
P.O. Box 297812
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33329-7812

"My Amex merchant's agreement said that you were NOT to ask for ID for an authorized charge under penalty of having your acceptance privileges rescinded. If it was a bad charge and Amex authorized it, you'd never know, because the retailer always got paid."

I just got off the phone with AmEx where both the rep and a supervisor told me merchants should be asking for ID with every credit card sale, and it is perfectly acceptable to American Express if the merchant refuses the transaction if you refuse to provide ID.

#14 ubermama

ubermama
  • Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

Well the VISA online reporting gave me a form, which I filled out... but after I submitted I got a "Page Not Found" error. I guess I'm calling the number later!

We encountered a merchant over the weekend that not only asked for my husband's Driver's License, she started writing the DL# down on the merchant copy! I said NO WAY and told her that this violates Visa policy and their merchant agreement with Visa. She said, "It's store policy, and it's right on the sign under the register." I said, "I don't care what you put on a sign. It's against the rules and you're not allowed to do it! I'm reporting you!" I told her to cancel the transaction. She handed me the merchant copy (the one she started to write the DL# on) and we left.

As of this morning, the amount was finalized from our account and NO refund was anywhere in sight. I'm going to be stalking this one. :angry:

#15 BDK

BDK

Bump Influence Scroll Keeper III

• Members
  • 11,823 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

Well the VISA online reporting gave me a form, which I filled out... but after I submitted I got a "Page Not Found" error. I guess I'm calling the number later!

We encountered a merchant over the weekend that not only asked for my husband's Driver's License, she started writing the DL# down on the merchant copy! I said NO WAY and told her that this violates Visa policy and their merchant agreement with Visa. She said, "It's store policy, and it's right on the sign under the register." I said, "I don't care what you put on a sign. It's against the rules and you're not allowed to do it! I'm reporting you!" I told her to cancel the transaction. She handed me the merchant copy (the one she started to write the DL# on) and we left.

As of this morning, the amount was finalized from our account and NO refund was anywhere in sight. I'm going to be stalking this one. :angry:

You were CHARGED ANYWAYS for merchandise/services you didn't even receive after cancelling the transaction? :dntknw:

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.