Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Getting added as joint account holder *questions!*

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Montacute

Montacute
  • Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:09 AM

My credit is poor--I haven't had a credit card in 15 years. No BK at least, and a defaulted SL was settled in full last year.

My DH's credit is excellent. If he added me to one or two of his cards as a joint account holder, could my poor credit in any way effect his excellent credit? He has Discover, Chase, Citi, a CU card and some store cards. It is vital that at least one of us have credit, so I don't want to do a thing to damage his.

Second, is it difficult to get added as a joint account holder? Will they want to run my credit and possibly deny me?

Thanks for the help.

#2 sjca

sjca
  • Members
  • 708 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:51 AM

My credit is poor--I haven't had a credit card in 15 years. No BK at least, and a defaulted SL was settled in full last year.

My DH's credit is excellent. If he added me to one or two of his cards as a joint account holder, could my poor credit in any way effect his excellent credit? He has Discover, Chase, Citi, a CU card and some store cards. It is vital that at least one of us have credit, so I don't want to do a thing to damage his.

Second, is it difficult to get added as a joint account holder? Will they want to run my credit and possibly deny me?

Thanks for the help.

To add a joint account holder "most" creditors will run your cr and may very well deny adding you. If you can get added it should not affect his overall credit but with the joint account they will look at you as well as him and your bad credit could cause adverse action on that account.

#3 SuperG

SuperG
  • Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:24 AM

Thanks for the help.

Just have your DH add you as an AU (Authorized User) onto his accounts. You don't even need to activate the CCs that will come in your name on those accounts. Doing that does NOT require a credit check on you, will NOT damage his credit, and WILL still help your credit, as his entire tradeline (history and all), will transfer onto your credit reports. Hope that helps. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. Thanks.

SuperG

#4 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:46 AM

Thanks for the help.

POOR CREDIT will be denied for a "JOINT" account

Go for "AU" (authorized user)

#5 Montacute

Montacute
  • Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:32 AM

Thanks for the replies. I have read that FICO has stopped allowing AU's to benefit from the main cardholder's credit history because people were paying strangers to let them become AU's. Is this not the case? How would becoming an AU help me?

#6 sjca

sjca
  • Members
  • 708 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:55 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have read that FICO has stopped allowing AU's to benefit from the main cardholder's credit history because people were paying strangers to let them become AU's. Is this not the case? How would becoming an AU help me?

The exception is spouse. Federal law requires that when the au is the spouse it must be reported. You are correct that strangers who are added as an au most likely will not be reported but that is not the case for you and your hubby!

#7 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:59 PM

FALSE

FICO08 never happened

FICO09 may happen

DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH

"IF' they kill "AU" they would be VIOLATING THE LAW

SPOUSE "AU" IS REQUIRED BY LAW TO REPORT

#8 DiggingOut

DiggingOut
  • Members
  • 4,909 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:42 PM

I agree, you're better off to have your spouse add you as an authorized user instead of as a joint owner. Pretty much all of the same advantages without the associated drawbacks and concerns.

To have the best chance of being reported to the CRA's, ask him to add you by following a few careful tips.
Do you and your spouse have the same surname and residential address? That aids the matching.
Do you know exactly how each of the CRA's has your name listed? Be sure to match that.
For example, Barbara Jeanne Smith or Barbara J Smith; match whichever way the CRA's already have your credit file. Not Babs Smith or Barbie or BJ or Jeanie or any nickname or shortened version. Have him initiate a comment to the CSR to give your SSN.

Name and address are the primary match characteristics. SSN and other data are secondary.
Make it as easy as possible for each CRA to accurately find YOUR specific file.

#9 Montacute

Montacute
  • Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:25 PM

Oh thank you so much for this information!! I'm very excited that AU as a spouse could count. We have the same address, but different surnames.

Would it be worthwhile to get my Mom to add me to one of her decades old accounts? We have the same last name.

And everyone is POSITIVE that my credit history will not affect my DH's accounts if he adds me as an AU? Would anyone have a link to something I could show him...he's a little nervous about making sure this is the case before we do it.

THANKS AGAIN!

This was really good, good news.

#10 Tyra

Tyra
  • Members
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:47 PM

Oh thank you so much for this information!! I'm very excited that AU as a spouse could count. We have the same address, but different surnames.

Would it be worthwhile to get my Mom to add me to one of her decades old accounts? We have the same last name.

And everyone is POSITIVE that my credit history will not affect my DH's accounts if he adds me as an AU? Would anyone have a link to something I could show him...he's a little nervous about making sure this is the case before we do it.

THANKS AGAIN!

This was really good, good news.

The only way you could hurt his credit report would be if you would run the cards up and hurt his utilization which could lower his score. So as long as you don't plan on maxing out the cards, it will not negatively affect him.

Here is an article that gives you a little info about AU's and the new FICO08
http://www.bankrate....ed-users-a1.asp

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.