Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Let the balance chasing begin!

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 rpina1

rpina1
  • Members
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:11 AM

AMEX did their first cut in february. Since then, I had decided to keep my balance high, to "avoid" further balance chasing.

It's been a while, and I really don't want to carry that much balance anymore. Even if it means losing the limit, I have been paying more then usual.

I normally keep my balance around $4000, but took it down to $3700 on my last payment. As expected, my limit was cut to $3900.

I expect this will continue, and I am no longer worried about it. As long as they don't close the card or go lower then my original limit ($1000). I am currently seeking a balance transfer to another card.

Once I pay off the card, I will be converting to a PIF strategy. Without having a larger limit available, I will no longer be tempted to over use the card.

AMEX had claimed that they will only do this every 6 months, which we all know isn't true. We will see what happens next month.

Edited by rpina1, 24 September 2008 - 10:12 AM.

#2 Stryker

Stryker

CBGFCUSAM

• Mod Squad
  • 10,139 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:27 AM

Hate to hear this... bunch of jokers...

#3 InfamousNY

InfamousNY
  • Members
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:31 AM

This is why they are best of breed!!!

#4 Big Bear

Big Bear
  • Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:32 AM

Sorry to hear about the balance chasing CLDs. Just give up on them already (why pay them interest to keep a card at a high utilization rate?).

+1 to another thread for George to chime in. <_< (<-NOT sarcasm)

#5 TrevorHere

TrevorHere

Bad Influence <3

• Mod Squad
  • 27,750 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:41 AM

Sorry to hear, rp.

#6 drkaje

drkaje
  • Banned
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:50 AM

3,2,1.... and we're off!! :lol:

#7 Maxima

Maxima
  • Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:54 AM

Just got the ax myself, from $1,000 to $5,000 down to $600. Call to inquire receive the same script your credit report change, but you are an excellent customer with AE. Nothing change! CRS states to fax in my credit report, I'm like you already have it. So I call to cancel my CS, the CSR goes on to say that it is important to monitor your credit report and so on, why do you want to cancel it, I kindly stated "just because". I also told the kind CSR that apparently AE does not value me as an excellent customer, and I don't value them either.

#8 Curious

Curious
  • Members
  • 11,333 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:00 AM

3,2,1.... and we're off!! :lol:

yep!

#9 Battle_of_Evermore

Battle_of_Evermore
  • Members
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:01 AM

I am sorry that they cut your limit, but what company isn't?

#10 Credit Matters

Credit Matters

Bad Influence II

• Members
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:04 AM

Balance chasing is the worst thing too. You're maxed out on the card all the way down.

#11 Curious

Curious
  • Members
  • 11,333 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:07 AM

I haven't read of any CU's cutting CL as of yet. Maybe in the future but not yet.

#12 Credit Matters

Credit Matters

Bad Influence II

• Members
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:11 AM

I haven't read of any CU's cutting CL as of yet. Maybe in the future but not yet.

Same here. CUs have been pretty quiet.

#13 Battle_of_Evermore

Battle_of_Evermore
  • Members
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:13 AM

I am holding off with applying for more cards right now. But when I do, I am going for a CU, probably Penfed. Let's hope that this credit mess gets fixed soon.

#14 Credit Matters

Credit Matters

Bad Influence II

• Members
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:14 AM

I am holding off with applying for more cards right now. But when I do, I am going for a CU, probably Penfed. Let's hope that this credit mess gets fixed soon.

Sounds like a smart plan, BOE.

#15 Battle_of_Evermore

Battle_of_Evermore
  • Members
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:19 AM

Thank you, I have had my Bank of America a little over a month and need to let everything age and pay down 2 balances.

#16 Big Bear

Big Bear
  • Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:20 AM

+1 to BoE's plan. I'm thinking Patelco might be my next acquisition, but I don't see any applications being filled out any time in the near future.

#17 TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne
  • Bloggers
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:22 AM

Balance chasing is the worst thing too. You're maxed out on the card all the way down.

Yep, not to mention Amex is 2 months behind in reporting. Paid off both of mine in early august....here we are late sept and it still shows both balances.

Looks like best of breed likes to keep your fico down for as long as possible.

Edited by TheChosenOne, 24 September 2008 - 11:22 AM.

#18 Big Bear

Big Bear
  • Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:23 AM

Yep, not to mention Amex is 2 months behind in reporting. Paid off both of mine in early august....here we are late sept and it still shows both balances.

They don't like fast changes, so they put a filter on your account for their benefit. B)

Have you used the card in the past month after the balance was PIF?

#19 TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne
  • Bloggers
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:25 AM

They don't like fast changes, so they put a filter on your account for their benefit. B)

Nope, sockdrawered. They were the only one to give me AA this year. They get none of my business.

#20 Credit Matters

Credit Matters

Bad Influence II

• Members
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:26 AM

Want to bet how fast they report adverse action?

#21 Big-Daddy

Big-Daddy
  • Members
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:37 AM

Summary;

Amex = best of breed for chargecard perks, worst of worst for revolving a balance.

They know when they have you trapped in a box, and they'll keep you there if you let them.

#22 Big-Daddy

Big-Daddy
  • Members
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:42 AM

OP. best of luck with this. - You're here - My wager; ........ that you can be resourceful and you'll get past this unfortunate experience with Amex, all the wiser. Hang in there

#23 Curious

Curious
  • Members
  • 11,333 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:57 AM

Just got the ax myself, from $1,000 to $5,000 down to $600. Call to inquire receive the same script your credit report change, but you are an excellent customer with AE. Nothing change! CRS states to fax in my credit report, I'm like you already have it. So I call to cancel my CS, the CSR goes on to say that it is important to monitor your credit report and so on, why do you want to cancel it, I kindly stated "just because". I also told the kind CSR that apparently AE does not value me as an excellent customer, and I don't value them either.

Did you just cancel your monitoring service or did you cancel your card?

#24 TrevorHere

TrevorHere

Bad Influence <3

• Mod Squad
  • 27,750 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:07 PM

+1 to BoE's plan. I'm thinking Patelco might be my next acquisition, but I don't see any applications being filled out any time in the near future.

good choice.

#25 TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne
  • Bloggers
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:10 PM

Summary;

Amex = best of breed for chargecard perks, worst of worst for revolving a balance.

They know when they have you trapped in a box, and they'll keep you there if you let them.

You could easily change that to "charge card accounts period" IMO

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.