Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo
- - - - -

Win A Bunch Of Gourmet Goodies...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 orangecrush

orangecrush

Goddess of the Jacksonville Tourism Bureau

• Members
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:17 PM

PRIZE: Gourmet cooking oils, spices, condiments and stuff related to cooking.

CONTEST: Tell us what famous, non-political figure (dead or alive or fictional) you would like to have dinner with and why. Tell us what you would serve at this dinner. Post your entry in this thread. If your entry does not meet the requirements it will be disqualified and moved.

RULES: Winner will be decided by the votes of fellow CBers. The contest ends on Sunday, June 22nd at 9pm EST. Voting for the winner will begin on Monday, June 23rd.

NOTE: This thread is only for entries. If you want to talk smack or discuss entries, do it in GF or HERE

Ineligible entries are here: Ineligible Entries

*NOTE FROM ADMIN: ENTRIES THAT DO NOT MEET ALL CRITERIA ARE INELIGIBLE.

#2 Marty716

Marty716
  • Members
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 01:25 PM

The person I would most like to have dinner with is Willie Nelson. I would start him of with a bowl of cream of onion soup and then serve him a plate of prime rib, prepared to his liking, garlic smashed potatoes, and the red wine of his choice. For desert we would have some special recipe brownies. Simple but yummy.

#3 Pam

Pam

Site Owner

• Admin
  • 12,097 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:50 PM

The person I would most like to have dinner with is Willie Nelson. I would start him of with a bowl of cream of onion soup and then serve him a plate of prime rib, prepared to his liking, garlic smashed potatoes, and the red wine of his choice. For desert we would have some special recipe brownies. Simple but yummy.

You have to tell us why you picked your person.

#4 SpaghettiBender

SpaghettiBender
  • Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:04 PM

I have always wished I could meet Solomon.

I imagine talking to him about all the modern technology, the Hubble telescope, and things that took place after him.
Somehow I think he would understand every bit of it, and still give me wise advice for my life in the here and now!

I would serve him french fries, cheese pizza, ice cream and a coke with ice.
For desert I would offer him a Tums's.

#5 DeniseG

DeniseG
  • Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:02 AM

I'd love to have dinner with Christopher Walken because he's extremely odd and interesting. I'd love to chat with him to see if he's anything in real life like he is on television...

Anyway, I would serve him Venison - he says that he does things with reindeer that you can only imagine LOL, so I'd have to show him what *I* can do with a reindeer....plus since he was in the movie "The Deer Hunter", I guess it only seems the practical thing to serve. hehe :D

#6 Marty716

Marty716
  • Members
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:08 PM

You have to tell us why you picked your person.

I picked Willie Nelson because I grew up listening to and loving his music. B)

#7 Taegus

Taegus
  • Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:47 PM

I would have to pick, um, we can only pick one???? Arrrgh! I would have to pick Mike Rowe because he is just dead sexy and I love his sense of humor, and because he is dead sexy!!

I figure he is kinda a down home kind of guy, so I am thinkin' a nice big, thick, juicy, rare steak (marinated to perfection) some roasted corn on the cob, some down home 'tater salad, some icy cold beers and some good music! (Margaritas for me, I don't do beer, but Mikey seems the ice cold beer kind of guy.) All of this cooked outside on a grill and eaten under the magic of the stars!

I was gonna say the Dali Lama because I could learn so much from him, but I figured ya'all would call BS and try to shun me! :angry: <_<

#8 aescutie

aescutie

The Fed Up One

• Members
  • 7,043 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:10 AM

I would like to have dinner with Maya Angelou. I have always wanted to meet the women who has written my thoughts, spoken my thoughts and have reminded me of my grandmother since I first laid eyes on her. She is the epitome of a woman. :D

My first course (the appetizer) would be one of her favorites, which is Pizza. I would serve Pizza made with Pesto w/sundried tomatoes, goat cheese and shrimp.

For the main course, I'd serve Short Ribs, rice and green beans. And finally for dessert, we'd have another favorite of hers "Banana Pudding" and possibly Butter Pecan Ice Cream.

I would explore her mind, take pictures, share some of my poetry and writings and ask for her advice on so much, like life and expectations and to try and get a glimpse into her past and what made her the woman she is.

I would even serve some kind of wine or whatever else it is she would like to keep her there as long as possible, without being accused of "kidnapping". ;)

#9 CrzyAmeriCan

CrzyAmeriCan
  • Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:32 AM

I would invite Neil Armstrong and his wife because of what he has accomplished and experienced and his wife for all that she had to go through supporting him. I would love to hear all about what is was like to leave earth with only the company of a few but with a world watching. I would ask him all about what he saw how he felt when he was scared, overjoyed, I could spend hours asking questions and listening to the stories he could tell. I would serve Steak, Potatoes, Grilled vegetables, Maybe some Grilled Shrimp for an appetizer and a few good bottles of wine. Ahh good ol comfort food to me :mellow: What would top it off is a clear warm night with all the stars and moon shining bright.

Oh yeah and cheesecake for dessert! I Love Cheesecake!

#10 travelgrl

travelgrl
  • Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:59 AM

I would have dinner with Matthew McCaunaughy b/c he's hot!

We'd have salad, steak and baked potato's and hot fudge brownie sundae for dessert. An all american meal for an all american looking hot man! :) Oh yeah- some nice cold beer - Corona or Dos Equis

#11 Glacier

Glacier
  • Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:55 PM

I would like to have dinner with Cyndi Lauper. The reason is, so I can thank her personally for the wonderful things she has done to help the gay community raise awareness of crimes against us, and help us raise money for spreading the awareness. She it one of the best straight allies our community has. Also, I would like to have dinner with her to talk to her about her songs, most recently, the emotion she put into recording her "At Last" album, it is incredible for me to listen too.

I would probably start off with some homemade Minestrone Soup, followed by Lasagna, homemade noodles, homemade sauce, green salad with a nice vinaigrette, and garlic bread. Desert would be a nice Pistachio Gelato.

#12 purplelove

purplelove
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:09 AM

I would have to desperately try to maintain myself during dinner with Prince. Since I’ve been an obsessed, hard-core fan of his since 1983, it would take a huge amount of self control and perhaps a few Ativan for me to calmly and coolly have dinner with this super-fine musical genius.

I would initially want to ask him the meaning behind certain songs. I would want to know who inspired what songs. Was he really ever engaged to Sheila E? Does he see anyone now? Does he have a secret child somewhere? Who is Jamie Starr? How can he remain so fine, even at the age of 50?

But, really, I wouldn’t ask any of those questions.

Musically, I would ask if he feels the same amount of creative bursts still that he did in the 1980’s, when he was constantly creating music, so much that he had to create other bands simply for his musical output overload. Does he try to please fans musically? Does he struggle with putting out modern music considering his religious beliefs?

Which would lead me to deeper conversations about God, life, love, inspirations and what brings us peace and happiness. We’d discuss life situations and how they’ve caused us to grow.

Our meal would be one of health, color and complex, yet pure flavors. We’d have a tomato mozzarella salad with Brandywine tomatoes from my own garden, interspersed with slices of fresh smoked mozzarella cheese from Zingermans’ in Ann Arbor. I’d sprinkle purple basil leaves from my herb garden on top, and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and pomegranate balsamic vinegar. I’d add a couple of shakes of Tastefully Simple’s garlic dill seasoning blend.

Second course would be cream of sweet potato soup made with real cream from the dairy farm in town and lightly seasoned with ground chipotle. I’d throw some crumbled blue cheese and toasted pecans on top of each bowl.

The main course would be lightly seasoned broiled whitefish with a sauce over top consisting of chopped shrimp, morel mushrooms, butter, white wine and tri-color sage from the herb garden. There would be a side dish of sautéed spinach with olive oil and chopped garlic.

Dessert would be raspberry chocolate tart made with Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate, fresh raspberries and slivered, toasted almonds.

We’d have sparkling water with lemon during dinner and loose leaf Earl Gray lavender tea with dessert.

#13 SamuraiJack

SamuraiJack
  • Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:58 AM

I'd want to have dinner with Brad and Angelina. Partially because both my wife and I find them insanely hot, but also because of the work they are doing with Project Pink and other groups to rebuild the gulf coast. It would be nice to find out why this issue affected them so much and find out what ways we could help within our means.

appetizer would be asparagus wrapped in proscutto and some salmon and cheese puff pastry hours' de oeuvres

Dinner would be rime rib roast seasoned with roasting salt, seared then roasted in the oven. I'd serve it with a mixed green salad with a bleu-cheese vinagrette and . I'd serve a hearty cabernet or merlot with dinner.

Dessert would be a raspberry cheese tart served with chocolate chambord sauce and a glass of ice wine or home made raspberry honey mead...

#14 mdw2006

mdw2006
  • Bloggers
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 01:37 PM

I would want to have Chef Gordon Ramsay.

I would love to meet him, he seems like a riot and would love to hear his stories.

As for what to have it probably wouldnt matter because I am sure he would tell him how good or bad it is. :lol:

I would have

Prime Rib cooked on the BBQ after it has sat overnight in a liquid smoke/real maple combo

Red garlic mashed tators

A nice green salad with all the fixins

A nice veggie combo (sauted)

and my mom's famous home made rolls.

Dessert would be hot fudge brownie with vanilla ice cream (the brownie served hot with the ice cream right buy it)

Then he can flame or praise our cooking and we can tell him OC is sending us come Gourment goodies so we can improve on our cooking and maybe we would get some great tips.

#15 VibrantEcho

VibrantEcho

Officially Jealous

• Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 06:00 PM

I hope this won't be construed as too controversial because I'm not trying to go there, but I would like to have dinner with Jesus. Everything that is known about his life was penned years and years after his death. I would love to find out if during his life he believed he was in fact the divine Son of God, or if he viewed himself as a simple prophet; and how he feels about having been the inspiration for a major worldwide religious following.

What to serve...homemade chicken pizza with white sauce and veggies, white wine, and chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

#16 MB34

MB34
  • Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 06:25 PM

I'd love to have dinner with Donald Trump. I'd serve a fresh spring mix salad with a sesame soy vinaigrette, slow smoked baby back ribs, boiled new potatoes soaked in butter, fresh snap peas sauteed in olive oil, garlic and parmesan cheese and for desert, my own caramel turtle cheesecake.

I'd ask him exactly what it takes to "start over". How did he go from being one of the richest men in the world to bankrupt
and then back again. I'd ask him to explain to me how he thinks the economy should work and how he uses credit and if he
has any secrets to using it.

#17 Snork Maiden

Snork Maiden

Mouthy Russian

• Members
  • 838 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 07:17 PM

Alrite then. I rise from the dust. And pickled herring. Posted Image

How about a dinner with Angelina Jolie.

No, not because she's pretty and in movies.. blah, blah..

Because she's famous enough to fulfill the requirement, AND she's got connections to the UN, and very likely the Bureau of Tourism. At the very least the INS (what with all the kiddos she picks up everywhere, she's gotta be). She can help me lodge my CB abuse complaint, about how I planned to make a lovely dinner for OrangeCrush, and my spirits got crushed like ice in a margarita. I'm gonna claim discrimination. Not sure yet of what kind, but it'll be brutal. That and she is pretty, and men just haven't been my thing lately. Two in one, baby. Yeah.

And for dinnertime: Posted Image I would serve miniature appetizers of borsh and pickled herring, so she understands what OC is missing out on. For main course we're having Plov. On one hand it's Russian/Kazakh - lamb, rice, onions cooked for hours. On the other hand, traditionally it's cooked in a sheep's hide, burried under coals (I'm not sure what you do with the head, but I imagine it sticks around) and I think that would appeal to Angie's dark side. And make OC jealous. I'd never sacrifice a perfectly good sheep for OC. Once again, two windows, one stone. Yeah.

We're going with creme brulee for desert, cause Angie needs it, and I'll use less egg yolk and make myself flan, cause it's beach time. WOOOHOOOO.

And I'll STILL oil my waterbed and slip and slide on it. Posted Image

#18 rcdchan

rcdchan
  • Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 05:17 PM

I would love to have dinner with Toby Keith.

Why? Because he is just a good 'ole country boy and tells it like it is. He isn't afraid of the truth or afraid to show his support for our troops.

What would we eat? Something simple - burgers and fries from the grill of course! I would have a cooler full of beverages, non-alcoholic and alcoholic, because he might want a stronger drink than me. LOL!

#19 Cattleya

Cattleya
  • Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:08 PM

Since fictional characters are allowed – I’d have dinner with Mr. Darcy.

Why? I’d just have to know if being with him in person has the same affect reading about him in Pride & Prejudice does :offtopic:.

We’d have lamb shanks braised in red wine, with boiled new potatoes and English peas, and a strawberry charlotte for dessert!

#20 fiji

fiji
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 05:09 PM

I would love to have dinner with Bridget Jones - because I find her bumbling awkwardness so endearing. She has a wry self depreciating sense of humor that I also have. She is fully aware of her "weaknesses" and can get drunk as a fish would be a perfect setup for a fun time.

I would think that a good bottle of white wine - asian style salad followed by roasted lamb, baked potatoes and asparagus. Dessert would be sinfully rich choclate cake with layers of strawberry mousse.
Bring on the wine until we pass out laughing!!! :)

#21 iH8cra

iH8cra

Owner, Y chromosome

• Members
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 05:22 PM

I'd have dinner with Rin Tin Tin.

Rin Tin Tin seems like a good dog and I think I'd enjoy his company more than someone famous whom I couldn't care anything about. Also, because he could kick Lassie's butt.

I'd serve roast leg of lamb. And water. Cold, cold water.

#22 hollyrocket

hollyrocket
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:33 PM

I think it would have to be Freddy Mercury from Queen.

He was so outragious, and musically, a genious. Also, it would be fascinating to talk about his schooling in India as well as his youger years in Tanzania. I would like to joke, laugh, and ask him what his greatest practical joke he had ever given or been given to. I would also ask him how he connects with his audience. Is there any way he can explain this? What is the difference between how one would perform to a bar with a small stage versus a humungous arena where many can hardly see him!

It would be neat to ask him how life changed progressively as he and Queen became more and more famous. I wonder how it can feel isolated to be so admired and how he could sometimes wish he could go to a public place without everyone knowing who he is. I also would want to know how it feels to have a hard time trusting anyone, because of celebrity. It must be hard to take anyone seriously when you do not know their motives.

What is it like to know or have the ability to meet every other famous musician?

We would have....

My Pacific Northwest Favorites:

Oysters on the half shell with a fine glass of Fume Blanc (or Willakenzie Pinot Blanc)
A cup of creamy clam chowder or a salad with a nice basil vineagrette and crumbled blue cheese
Hearty Cioppino with mussels, clams, king salmon, halibut, crab, and prawns served in a hollowed out and crisped Sour Dough bread bowl, served with a bold Cabernet or Syrah

And...

A melting hot lava chocolate cake fresh out of the oven with vanilla ice cream and huckleberry sauce for dessert.

I choose these, because all these choices are rich, bold, colorful, fragrant, and beautiful to look at.

Freddy Mercury is a bold, colorful, brave, and amazing individual.

Yep, I think it would fit!

#23 mca

mca

Lead - Chexsystems Help Forum

• Members
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:26 AM

I would choose to have dinner with Garth Brooks. I have spent may hours listening to all his hits. I own all his CDs and videos. I would like to know how he is able to write all the lyrics he comes up with.

Since he is from the country, we would have a cook out in my backyard. I would get some T-bone steaks and marinade them overnite to get them tender enough to cut with a spoon. Nothing beats a medium steak cooked over mesquite coals.

The sides we would have are baked potato, baked beans, cole slaw, and spinich salad.

For dessert we would have a triple layer chocolate cake with Graeter's vanilla ice cream.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.