Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

WAL*MART tried to trespass me for calling them out on CC policy breach

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#76 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 68,274 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:06 AM

Look obviously Visa/MC doesn't care about retailers asking for ID...if they did then alot less stores would ask.

yes they do care.

#77 Uncle Leo

Uncle Leo
  • Bloggers
  • 8,701 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:53 AM

Make sure your community is 100% violation-free.

Hmmm. I wonder which Continental Towncar you rode in on? :lol:

I think I need a program.

#78 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 68,274 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:12 PM

I think I need a program.

I can suggest some 12 steps for you :( :rolleyes:

#79 nferra2

nferra2
  • Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:52 AM

The Wal-mart register prompts for the cashier to "compare signatures card and slip" if the card is being used at Wal-mart for the first time or if the transaction is somehow flagged as suspicious. The register sometimes prompts to check ID, but it is either for age restricted items or check transactions.

#80 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 09:45 AM

The Wal-mart register prompts for the cashier to "compare signatures card and slip"
if the card is being used at Wal-mart for the first time or if the transaction is somehow flagged as suspicious.
The register sometimes prompts to check ID
, but it is either for age restricted items or check transactions.

NEVER SEEN THAT

AGE RESTRICTED ITEMS...BOOZE and CANCER STICKS...R-RATED MOVIES and "MATURE" GAMES...ETC HAS AGE REQUIREMENT
BUT THAT HAPPENS BEFORE ANY MENTION OF PAYMENT ITEM

Edited by GEORGE, 03 January 2010 - 09:49 AM.

#81 lolipop

lolipop
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:18 PM

THE PRINTED CREDIT CARD POLICY TAKES UP LESS ROOM
IN MY WALLET THEN EXPENSIVE CASH WOULD

somehow I doubt that.

i rather carry cash in my wallet <_<

#82 Equation

Equation
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:54 AM

MasterCard: Walmart Should Not Have Demanded ID For Purchase

http://consumerist.c...r-purchase.html

#83 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 68,274 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:10 PM

cash is subprime.

#84 radi8

radi8
  • Admin
  • 27,304 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:33 PM

cash is subprime.

Less yucky than that pen-on-a-tether you have to use to sign with at the POS terminal. Yuck. I want to spray that thing off with clorox before I pick it up.

#85 BBQ123

BBQ123
  • Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:09 PM

If merchants have updated equipment, there may not be a need to sign.

Also, I often have my own pen on me and use it to sign receipts.

#86 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 68,274 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:54 PM

Hmmm. I wonder which Continental Towncar you rode in on? <_<

one with a large subwoofer I bet

#87 Ordie

Ordie
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:45 AM

Old thread I know.

At what point do you give up and just show it. I never carry cash, I hate it. Never fails though, no matter what store I am at, they as me for my ID. I mean 90% of the places I go. I'm not gonna spend 20+ minutes arguing with the store over it.

Who has actually complained to Visa? What happened? I see there's a lot of people here saying to call the phone number but not many people that have said they did it or the results.

#88 Rebuilding2010

Rebuilding2010

Spoiled Influence

• Members
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:25 PM

Many many people have complained to the Corporate offices of the store they had the incident with, and things do get changed. I've seen it at least 5 times in the last year (in my, very small, city).

#89 FCB2700

FCB2700
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:28 PM

Old thread I know.

At what point do you give up and just show it. I never carry cash, I hate it. Never fails though, no matter what store I am at, they as me for my ID. I mean 90% of the places I go. I'm not gonna spend 20+ minutes arguing with the store over it.

Who has actually complained to Visa? What happened? I see there's a lot of people here saying to call the phone number but not many people that have said they did it or the results.

Wow, 90% of the places you go? Where do you live? I only get asked for ID once in a blue Moon. A certain percentage of mid-to-lower-end hotels and motels seem to have an ID policy (and it seems what they want is to jot down your address), but other than that it's very sporadic for me.

I have complained to the credit card network companies about this. I'm unsure if they took action or not.

Edited by FCB2700, 26 April 2011 - 11:30 PM.

#90 Castleton

Castleton
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:50 AM

I would suggest starting with places you visit often. If you go there once a week or more, work on those places first. Then you can work on the places you visit with less frequency. I've reported so many places in my area over the past year or so that now hardly any places I do business with are asking for ID anymore. And on the rare occasion I visit one, I now easily report them.

#91 Uncle Leo

Uncle Leo
  • Bloggers
  • 8,701 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:56 AM

My (limited) experience when major retailers ask for ID: It's usually the local store manager, or sometimes just the cashier, doing this on their own. I have sent letters to corporate HQ on a couple occasions and I always get a "That's not our policy." response. It always stops, so I have no reason to believe HQ was lying to me.

#92 Castleton

Castleton
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:21 AM

My (limited) experience when major retailers ask for ID: It's usually the local store manager, or sometimes just the cashier, doing this on their own. I have sent letters to corporate HQ on a couple occasions and I always get a "That's not our policy." response. It always stops, so I have no reason to believe HQ was lying to me.

These crooked "on their own" types may well be identity thieves who belong in prison.

Every time you give somebody your driver's license, you are giving them, at a minimum:

* Your full legal name
* Your address
* Your full birthday
* A number used to identify you to government agencies

Some state-issued IDs have even more information on them. But even if yours just has the information above, an identity thief can use your ID as a starting point for opening credit accounts in your name, forging other identifying information, and just plain taking over your life. They may even forge an ID in your name and convince your spouse to sleep with them. (Your spouse does ask for ID before going to bed each night, right? Right?)

Now you might be thinking that the cashiers behind the counter at Hot 'n' Trendy couldn't possibly be identity thieves. And even if they were, they'd only see your ID for a few seconds—not nearly enough time to copy down or memorize your information. If you're thinking that, consider the following:

* Retail cashiers often make close to minimum wage. Identity thieves make a whole lot more until they're caught, which isn't all that often.
* As often as "See ID"ers show their ID, it would be virtually impossible to pinpoint the source of any identity theft.
* Cameras that can capture all the information off your ID can be the size of a cell phone or smaller.

Assuming you're not peeing your pants in consumery terror, you might be wondering if I'm just posing a hypothetical scenario. Indeed, the bullet points above are based on a real experience from a few months ago.

Horrifying Story Time!

My wife and I were in a clothing store with some of her friends, and as women must spend at least one hour in any given store, I was bored to the point of near-insanity. I started to wander the store aimlessly and eventually heard those fateful words from behind the checkout counter: "May I please see your ID." Only this time, the cashier—the only one behind the counter—sounded ecstatic, whereas no cashier in the history of the world had ever sounded ecstatic about anything up to that point. I was standing to the side of the counter, so I could see the cashier's actions behind it. As the customer handed over her ID, I noticed the cashier tapped it on the counter a few times while swiping the credit card with her other hand. A perfectly innocent action, so I thought nothing of it.

A few minutes later, the next customer also paid with a credit card, though I could see from my viewpoint that it was clearly signed on the back with some signature scribble. Yet the cashier asked for ID. I figured the store had simply instructed her to ID every card user—a clear violation of their merchant's agreement with credit card issuers—but I decided to let it go as I was having too much fun ogling this fine-looking cashier.

But when another customer came up a short time later and paid with a credit card, the cashier did not ask for ID. I looked over and saw that there was a second person behind the counter then; a closer look at his name badge revealed he was the store manager. After the manager left the checkout area, Hot Cashier Girl (that's what I named her, because she is a hot girl cashier) went right back to asking for IDs from credit card users. Each time, she would tap the ID on the counter while waiting for the credit card to process.

About 20 minutes had gone by, and with no sign of shopping completion from my wife and her gang, I wandered the store briefly and returned to my original spot on the side of the checkout counter. Another credit card user was prompted for ID from the cashier, but this time something strange happened: when the cashier went to present the customer a pen and receipt for signing, the cashier dropped them on the counter beside her and scrambled to pick them up, scattering several items on her side of the counter in the process. After the customer signed and left, I noticed the cashier very meticulously return a blue lunch knapsack to its original position—lying flat but with the bottom pointing toward her.

I finally confirmed her plot when the next customer paid by credit card. Hot Cashier Girl wasn't just tapping their IDs to pass the time while cards were processed; she was purposely showing the face of the IDs to the bottom of her lunch bag. I moved around to the other side of the counter and confirmed my suspicions: there was a small black hole at the bottom of her bag—just wide enough for a small camera to film through. Hot Cashier Girl had been videotaping every single customer's ID.

I spotted Mr. Manager on the other side of the store and asked him why Hot Cashier Girl might be asking for IDs. He said it definitely wasn't store policy. Then I asked why she might be tapping each ID in front of her holey-bottomed knapsack. He replied, "Are you serious?" and started walking toward the checkout counter. I rounded up my wife and gang who were finished in that store anyway (they found nothing they wanted) and we left. About 30 minutes later, we passed by again and I noticed four uniformed county police officers in the store. I like to think there were four more in the back asking Hot Cashier Girl for her ID.

#93 Rebuilding2010

Rebuilding2010

Spoiled Influence

• Members
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:28 AM

I read this the last time you posted it. Great job being so vigilant. But to reiterate, unless you have proof like the above poster, don't ruin someone's day at work who is just trying to do their job by becoming aggresive and hostile. Politely tell them they are wrong, escalate it if necessary, and follow up with corporate.

I've dealt with a similar situation at Walmart, guy refused to let me out of the store, mom and sister were like are you kidding me, show him the receipt and lets go. I stuck to my guns, politely said, told him he could do what he had to do but I suggest he not lay a hand on me or he'd have serious legal issues on his hands. Called the manager, who tried intimidation. I responded with facts and civility. Followed up with Corporate and voila, now every time I pass the exit doors and someone doesn't ask for my receipt I know my time wasn't spent in vain.

On the other hand, yesterday at the gas station, the guy asked for my i.d. and said 'sorry I have to see it, I just read the memo' I said actually you don't have, but I'm in a rush, so here. He goes no I do or I'll get in trouble. I said, sigh, no you don't (quick run through)he apologized and said he didn't know, he was just following the rules, he didn't want to get in trouble with VISA. I said don't worry, it'd be the company not you.

#94 Castleton

Castleton
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 04:54 AM

Completely prohibited and outrageous! What is the name and address of this gas station? Immediately call 1-800-VISA-911. Make sure that horribly behaving gas station shapes up and never asks for ID again.

CREDIT CARD SIGNATURE IS ALL THE ID NEEDED

When you pay for merchandise with a Visa card, MasterCard, or American Express any store that accepts these cards should accept yours too, no questions asked. It's part of the deal that merchants agree to when they become participating members.

They must check your signature and the card - electronically or by telephone - to be sure it's valid. Once the answer comes up yes, they can go ahead and charge. They can't ask you for any further identification - not a license plate number, Social Security number, proof of address, phone number or photo ID.

Your personal ID isn't needed because Visa, MasterCard, and American Express all guarantee payment on cards that have been properly checked. If the issuer mistakenly authorizes a sale on a bad card, it should make good. MasterCard says that merchants receive instant settlement. The contract MasterCard merchants sign specifically prevents them from asking for personal ID.

Unfortunately, not all merchants play by the rules. Some, apparently, haven't read them.

WHAT YOU CAN DO

MasterCard wants to hear about merchants who break their rules. Send the name and address and an account of what happened to MasterCard WorldWide 2000 Purchase St. Purchase, NY 10577 or call 1-800-300-3069. The merchant's bank will get a stiff letter, ordering it to investigate and bring the offending store into line - or pay a $2,000 fine. You may also report violations online:

http://www.mastercar...violations.html

Visa enforces the same rules as MasterCard. "When we hear about a violation, we ask the bank that signed the merchant to get together with the merchant and see that the practice is stopped," Visa representative states. Violations of Visa's Operating Regulations result in fines of no less than $5,000. To report a merchant, write to Visa Inc. P.O. Box 8999 San Francisco, CA 94128-8999 or call 1-800-VISA-911.

American Express also prohibits merchants from asking for IDs. "All a merchant is supposed to do is make sure the signature matches and swipe the card through the terminal, to get authorization." Report violations to: American Express P.O. Box 297812 Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33329-7812 or call 1-800-528-4800 or report online: http://americanexpress.com/yourchoice

#95 frank22

frank22
  • Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:17 AM

Completely prohibited and outrageous! What is the name and address of this gas station? Immediately call 1-800-VISA-911. Make sure that horribly behaving gas station shapes up and never asks for ID again.

outrageous

ADJECTIVE
1. excessive: causing shock or indignation by exceeding the bounds of what is reasonable or expected
2. morally shocking: violating accepted standards of decency or morality in a flagrant or shocking way
3. extraordinary and unconventional: extravagantly bold or unconventional, and likely to shock people
4.violent or cruel: violent or unrestrained in mood or action

horribly
ADVERB
1. in unpleasant way: in an unpleasant, frightening, distressing, or shocking way
2. very: to a great or excessive extent

hyperbole
1. exaggeration: deliberate and obvious exaggeration used for effect
Synonyms: exaggeration, overstatement, overemphasis, magnification, inflation, embellishment

Edited by frank22, 14 May 2011 - 09:20 AM.

#96 Uncle Leo

Uncle Leo
  • Bloggers
  • 8,701 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:18 PM

outrageous

ADJECTIVE
1. excessive: causing shock or indignation by exceeding the bounds of what is reasonable or expected
2. morally shocking: violating accepted standards of decency or morality in a flagrant or shocking way
3. extraordinary and unconventional: extravagantly bold or unconventional, and likely to shock people
4.violent or cruel: violent or unrestrained in mood or action

horribly
ADVERB
1. in unpleasant way: in an unpleasant, frightening, distressing, or shocking way
2. very: to a great or excessive extent

hyperbole
1. exaggeration: deliberate and obvious exaggeration used for effect
Synonyms: exaggeration, overstatement, overemphasis, magnification, inflation, embellishment

I'm Uncle Leo and I approve of this post.

#97 Castleton

Castleton
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:47 AM

Exposing an address or a driver's license number is completely unacceptable for making a purchase that has no need for that information. A $10 transaction does not need personal information to be exposed, and a $5000 transaction does not either. Who would want to become a target of BURGLARY because an ID check allowed a CRIMINAL to know exactly where thousands of dollars of high end goods would be taken after purchase?

States have stepped up to keep account numbers and expiration dates off of receipts, for good reason. That information does not enhance the function of a receipt, and is wholly unnecessary. Information should be kept private except when necessary. This is security 101, folks.

My address or driver's license number are not relevant to a credit card purchase and have no reason to become a part of it.

Obviously it is a major security and identity theft risk, extreme invasion of privacy, and a no-brainer to keep your ID to yourself. No reasonable adult would hand over their ID to some violating cashier on demand. The most important thing is making sure it never happens again, so if any violating merchant should ever pop-up in your community, make sure they are eliminated/brought back into line immediately - 1-800-VISA-911.

Never show ID with credit cards.

No ID required with credit cards. Merchants cannot require ID.

If a merchant tries to require ID, immediately call 1-800-VISA-911 to ensure they never do again.

VISA: 1-800-VISA-911
MasterCard: 1-800-300-3069

Also easily report merchant violations online:

http://www.mastercar...violations.html

Check the box that says "Merchant required ID"

#98 JTinNewYork

JTinNewYork
  • Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

So, I stopped by a 24 hour Wal-Mart and cashier freaking demanded an ID. I told her I don't give personal info to strangers.

Customer service manager showed up and I presented him with the official VISA policy. He states
"We don't have any agreement with VISA and our store policies take precedence over VISA and regardless of what VISA says, it's my store and I can require ID". He's obviously not aware of the policy and after spending five minutes reading through the print out, he threatened to have me trespassed by saying "I can ask you to leave the store without paying too, maybe you shouldn't be shopping at Wal-Mart".

I had him call an assistant manager who was working the night and he too said "it's store policy"and that they don't have to follow VISA rules.

I asked him to write out that his store does not have to follow VISA policies and sign it, but he refused. I think they make up rules and bully customers with BS they invent on the spot. Clearly he did not know the policy enough to be able to put it in writing.

We went back and forth for 20 minutes and I was forced to pay cash.

I've only seen WalMart employees ask for ID when it's a homeless guy or a black guy using a cc. They profile here big time. However, the ID requirement is NOT between you and WM. It's between WM and Visa. WM is private property and they can throw you out if they want. You don't have any "rights". Visa can fine WM or yank their merchant acct which they won't do because of the amount of $ WM makes. You also don't know if WM has a separate agreement with WM and allows ID.

#99 Need More RWHP

Need More RWHP
  • Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:17 AM

I've only seen WalMart employees ask for ID when it's a homeless guy or a black guy using a cc. They profile here big time. However, the ID requirement is NOT between you and WM. It's between WM and Visa. WM is private property and they can throw you out if they want. You don't have any "rights". Visa can fine WM or yank their merchant acct which they won't do because of the amount of $ WM makes. You also don't know if WM has a separate agreement with WM and allows ID.

What you observed, perhaps is the spirit of the VISA policy to prevent merchants from scrutinizing, marginalize and discriminate customers for race, gender, age, perceived status, national origin, sexual orientation, height, weight whatever.

The "computer says so" so is no excuse. Are you going to drive into a brick wall because your GPS navigation told you to "turn right" ?

#100 Need More RWHP

Need More RWHP
  • Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

WalMart still at it...

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.