Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

WAL*MART tried to trespass me for calling them out on CC policy breach

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#51 Jen23514

Jen23514
  • Members
  • 12,565 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:47 AM

THE PRINTED CREDIT CARD POLICY TAKES UP LESS ROOM
IN MY WALLET THEN EXPENSIVE CASH WOULD

somehow I doubt that.

#52 whatsanenigma

whatsanenigma
  • Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 03:01 PM

somehow I doubt that.

Maybe George is such a big spender that to make his accustomed purchases without his credit cards, he'd have to carry around a wallet stuffed to overflowing with twenties.
:D

Either that, or he has the policies shrunk down so they fit on a business card, and also carries around a magnifying glass.

#53 thelowpriceleader

thelowpriceleader
  • Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 03:43 PM

You only need two pages one from Visa and one from MC. That would equal about 12 pieces of dollar bill.

#54 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 04:52 PM

You only need two pages one from Visa and one from MC. That would equal about 12 pieces of dollar bill.

12 x $1.00 is a lot of CASH for people who carry EXPENSIVE CASH???

:wacko:

(not that I have any $$$$$ in my wallet)

Edited by GEORGE, 22 September 2008 - 04:53 PM.

#55 whatsanenigma

whatsanenigma
  • Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 05:06 PM

12 x $1.00 is a lot of CASH for people who carry EXPENSIVE CASH???

:wacko:

(not that I have any $$$$$ in my wallet)

Well, it doesn't have to be ones. The 12 bills could be ones or twos or fives or tens or twenties...even fifties or hundreds. Twelve bills in someone's wallet could represent anywhere from $12 to $1200.

#56 whatsanenigma

whatsanenigma
  • Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 05:07 PM

And, of course, if it's worth carrying around, it's worth carrying around, no matter how much room it takes up.

#57 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 05:23 PM

Since I have $0.00 CASH** in my wallet...it is not like I'm gonna' leave the cash out to put in the credit card policies

**NONE FOR A DECADE or TWO

#58 webworm98

webworm98
  • Members
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 05:58 PM

Since I have $0.00 CASH** in my wallet...it is not like I'm gonna' leave the cash out to put in the credit card policies

What do you do when you come across a place that is cash only? There are lot of places that are still cash only and some are returning to cash only.

What do you do if you run across a toll both or pop machine that is cash only?

Edited by webworm98, 22 September 2008 - 06:00 PM.

#59 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:38 PM

What do you do when you come across a place that is cash only? There are lot of places that are still cash only and some are returning to cash only.

What do you do if you run across a toll both or pop machine that is cash only?

KEEP ON WALKING

On the UP-SIDE it has been YEARS since I have seen such a place

I have pocket change for vending (usually less than $5.00)

RETURN TO CASH ONLY???

:D :rofl: :rofl:

I should REWARD such a stupid business???

:angel:

Edited by GEORGE, 22 September 2008 - 06:41 PM.

#60 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:26 PM

My Walmart CLEARLY profiles who they ask for ID and who they don't, and I've seen it and experienced it repeatedly. But here's the catch. It's not the profiling you would think! The Walmart I frequent is in a "rough" section of town. Many black people and hispanics shop there...very few white people (I am one). Guess who gets ID'ed at the checkout by the black and hispanic cashiers and who doesn't? I get ID'ed every time but the blacks and hispanics in front of me never get ID'ed, even on purchases larger than mine on various forms of plastic. It's quite infuriating

Direct discrimination.

#61 orangecrush

orangecrush

Goddess of the Jacksonville Tourism Bureau

• Members
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:28 PM

Direct discrimination.

You have responded to this thread since devil21 made that post five months ago. I know you didn't miss his post earlier. You are bumping old threads to stir the pot.

If you do it again, I am going to: bite through your left femur, suck the marrow out and feast on your flesh.

I suggest your next post be to a recent comment (and relevant) or to recommend a nice Chianti.

#62 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:51 PM

So, I stopped by a 24 hour Wal-Mart and cashier freaking demanded an ID. I told her I don't give personal info to strangers.

Customer service manager showed up and I presented him with the official VISA policy. He states
"We don't have any agreement with VISA and our store policies take precedence over VISA and regardless of what VISA says, it's my store and I can require ID". He's obviously not aware of the policy and after spending five minutes reading through the print out, he threatened to have me trespassed by saying "I can ask you to leave the store without paying too, maybe you shouldn't be shopping at Wal-Mart".

I had him call an assistant manager who was working the night and he too said "it's store policy"and that they don't have to follow VISA rules.

I asked him to write out that his store does not have to follow VISA policies and sign it, but he refused. I think they make up rules and bully customers with BS they invent on the spot. Clearly he did not know the policy enough to be able to put it in writing.

We went back and forth for 20 minutes and I was forced to pay cash.

STORE POLICY does NOT trump credit card policy

I know for a fact that it is NOT WALMART policy to demand ID to use a signed credit card

"COMPARE SIGNATURE" on the screen at the register is just that

It does not say "ASK FOR ID"

#63 Towncar

Towncar
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:17 PM

Personally, I would not be concerned with sharing my ID with my own financial institution as they already have all my info anyways and they're trained better at protecting customer confidentiality.

I *DO* have an issue with granting access to personal information to some 16 year old punk paid minimum wage at the movie theatre or some minimum wage Wal-Mart cashier. If the business owner is refusing to accept the risk of accepting credit cards without an ID, he shouldn't have signed the contract.

Precisely.

Exposing an address or a driver's license number is completely unacceptable for making a purchase that has no need for that information. A $10 transaction does not need personal information to be exposed, and a $5000 transaction does not either. Who would want to become a target of BURGLARY because an ID check allowed a CRIMINAL to know exactly where thousands of dollars of high end goods would be taken after purchase?

States have stepped up to keep account numbers and expiration dates off of receipts, for good reason. That information does not enhance the function of a receipt, and is wholly unnecessary. Information should be kept private except when necessary. This is security 101, folks.

My address or driver's license number are not relevant to a credit card purchase and have no reason to become a part of it.

#64 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:37 PM

Thats the risk of doing business in general! You have to weight the benefits over the cons....

Why should the customers bear the burden of extra risk created by businesses disregarding contractual terms that holds them accountable to following the policy so the customers can use their card as allowed in their card holder's agreement? VISA & MasterCard don't say business owners are allowed to bend the rules to make them more favorable to them at the risk of cardholders.

Since when are business owners more entitled to customers personal information than customers entitled to business owners information for comfort? If I was buying something from a small business and they want all my information to make them feel safe just in case they're screwed over, maybe I want all the personal information of the sole proprietor just in case I have a problem with the product/service and need to track him down to sue him.

I happen to Manage a large CU, and I must say,
The risk of Credit card fraud and not being reimbursed is greater than having an employee misuse a customers information.
In any business your going to have employee misuse and dishonesty. 40% of Retail shrink is caused by Employees.

In a case where an employee misuses a customer information to committ illegal acts, the company isnt automacally held 100% accountable. If the company can prove that they used reasonalble measures to protect the consumers information, provided proper training the to employee and Acted reasonably once they discovered fraud has been commited. Basically, once a business owner discovers fraud has been commited, or other illegal act, by an employee... did they act? did the company call the police and report the crime? did they take action against the employee?

Retail employees have very high turnover rates and I don't have faith in them to follow strict codes of confidentiality. The fact that employee theft is a major source of loss for the company pretty much speaks for itself that employees have a great propensity to not act in the interest of the customer or his employer.

Just so you know, at our CU,we require 2 forms of Id, for a VISA/MASTERCARD CASH advance. Whats the difference in making a point of sale purchase. The Visa/Master Policy doesnt specify when or when not to ask for ID, based on a point of sale or cash advance.

Most consumers, if they were taking a cash advance, woulnt not mind, being asked for ID. So, why would they mind a point of sale purchase

As a manager of CU, I think you are aware that CASH ADVANCE is one of the very few UNIQUE transactions that permits you to ask for government issued ID as defined in merchants manual.

Generally, do you believe that a contractual terms between your credit union and your customers shouldn't be valid as long as that customers could demonstrate that violating your policy would be in their favor?

Personally, I would not be concerned with sharing my ID with my own financial institution as they already have all my info anyways and they're trained better at protecting customer confidentiality.

I *DO* have an issue with granting access to personal information to some 16 year old punk paid minimum wage at the movie theatre or some minimum wage Wal-Mart cashier. If the business owner is refusing to accept the risk of accepting credit cards without an ID, he shouldn't have signed the contract.

(with Wal-Mart being an exception since they can pretty much bully their way through everyone)

MINIMUM WAGE IS A MYTH AT WALMART

#65 thelowpriceleader

thelowpriceleader
  • Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:12 PM

A myth and a complete lie. Wal Mart pays better than virtually all major retailers and has a higher ratio of full time staff than virtually all retailers. The only retailers who pay better than Wal Mart are certain upscale stores, warehouse clubs, and unionized grocery stores.

Wal Mart's pay rates and the percent of full time employees in each store all are far better than places like Target, Petsmart, Ross, Sears, Kohls, etc.

#66 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 67,674 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:24 PM

A myth and a complete lie. Wal Mart pays better than virtually all major retailers and has a higher ratio of full time staff than virtually all retailers. The only retailers who pay better than Wal Mart are certain upscale stores, warehouse clubs, and unionized grocery stores.

Wal Mart's pay rates and the percent of full time employees in each store all are far better than places like Target, Petsmart, Ross, Sears, Kohls, etc.

curious, are whole foods, costco, and trader joes unionized?

#67 hlburi

hlburi

Colonel Mustard

• Members
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 07:00 AM

John Mackey rocks!! He managed to defeat the one store that tried to Unionize! (Madison, WI). Go Mackey!! :D

#68 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 67,674 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:17 PM

John Mackey rocks!! He managed to defeat the one store that tried to Unionize! (Madison, WI). Go Mackey!! :lol:

:rolleyes: way to NOT answer the question!!!! :lol: :lol:

#69 hlburi

hlburi

Colonel Mustard

• Members
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:30 AM

John Mackey rocks!! He managed to defeat the one store that tried to Unionize! (Madison, WI). Go Mackey!! :P

:dntknw: way to NOT answer the question!!!! :rofl: :lol:

You didn't ask the question of me, you asked it of Lowpriceleader... :lol: or maybe you just forgot who you quoted. It's ok. It happens to everyone when they get older.

I'm just showing my appreciation of Mackey! :lol:

Edited by hlburi, 25 November 2008 - 10:31 AM.

#70 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:51 PM

Exposing an address or a driver's license number is completely unacceptable for making a purchase that has no need for that information. A $10 transaction does not need personal information to be exposed, and a $5000 transaction does not either. Who would want to become a target of BURGLARY because an ID check allowed a CRIMINAL to know exactly where thousands of dollars of high end goods would be taken after purchase?

States have stepped up to keep account numbers and expiration dates off of receipts, for good reason. That information does not enhance the function of a receipt, and is wholly unnecessary. Information should be kept private except when necessary. This is security 101, folks.

My address or driver's license number are not relevant to a credit card purchase and have no reason to become a part of it.

$5 or $5000 - No ID with credit cards PERIOD.

#71 Credit Savvy

Credit Savvy
  • CB JAIL
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:08 AM

Walmart did the same thing a few years ago around Christmas time, they were asking for ID with every credit card purchase, regardless if the card was signed. I refused and got the police and security involved, I swiped my card got an approval, and bagged myself, when they asked for ID, I asked why because they had an automated approval and signatures matched, they said "local policy", I said I am not showing ID and I am leaving with my merchandise. LP and security tried to stop me and put their hands on me while I was leaving, I called 911, pressed charges for assault against store LP, and luckily I had the letter from VISA/ MC (I reported them a week prior and had it with me knowing this would happen) and the VISA and MC letter said it is prohibited to ask for ID unless it was a "code 10/suspicious transaction" or the auth response requested sig. I showed that to the police and they let me go, arrested the LP staff, and I sued Walmart for harassment, assault, and misc. damages, and they gave me $50k. I dropped the charges against the individuals only after they agreed to an additional civil restitution of $2500 a piece, and Walmart removed the signs and the manager got fired.

So yes, call 1-800-VISA-911 and report them, they will send you a letter as your ammo...merchants CANNOT do this, and you will win ANY dispute you may have.

Yes, I knew they had this policy and deliberately set them up knowing the police and LP would be involved, but hey, I made $55k for their violations of their contract.

#72 Uncle Leo

Uncle Leo
  • Bloggers
  • 8,701 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:21 PM

Walmart did the same thing a few years ago around Christmas time, they were asking for ID with every credit card purchase, regardless if the card was signed. I refused and got the police and security involved, I swiped my card got an approval, and bagged myself, when they asked for ID, I asked why because they had an automated approval and signatures matched, they said "local policy", I said I am not showing ID and I am leaving with my merchandise. LP and security tried to stop me and put their hands on me while I was leaving, I called 911, pressed charges for assault against store LP, and luckily I had the letter from VISA/ MC (I reported them a week prior and had it with me knowing this would happen) and the VISA and MC letter said it is prohibited to ask for ID unless it was a "code 10/suspicious transaction" or the auth response requested sig. I showed that to the police and they let me go, arrested the LP staff, and I sued Walmart for harassment, assault, and misc. damages, and they gave me $50k. I dropped the charges against the individuals only after they agreed to an additional civil restitution of $2500 a piece, and Walmart removed the signs and the manager got fired.

So yes, call 1-800-VISA-911 and report them, they will send you a letter as your ammo...merchants CANNOT do this, and you will win ANY dispute you may have.

Yes, I knew they had this policy and deliberately set them up knowing the police and LP would be involved, but hey, I made $55k for their violations of their contract.

First, there's no context here. Who are you quoting? Why are you quoting them? To what, specifically, are you responding?

Second, are you really so naive that you do actually believe this?

#73 aarond23

aarond23
  • Newbies
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:57 AM

First, there's no context here. Who are you quoting? Why are you quoting them? To what, specifically, are you responding?

Second, are you really so naive that you do actually believe this?

Still with the ID questions? lol....you don't think this would be INTERNATIONAL news if some yahoo made that big of a stink about having to show ID at WAl Mart and then suing their asses off? lol....I think it would.

Look obviously Visa/MC doesn't care about retailers asking for ID...if they did then alot less stores would ask.

#74 Guest_Music_*

Guest_Music_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:27 AM

The 55k was for the assault. If you are assaulted, you call 911. If some cashier demands ID, you call 1-800-VISA-911. Either way, the crooked cashier must be reported immediately. Make sure your community is 100% violation-free.

#75 radi8

radi8
  • Admin
  • 27,283 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:43 AM

Make sure your community is 100% violation-free.

Hmmm. I wonder which Continental Towncar you rode in on? <_<

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.