Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

The bananas got suspended

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hlburi

hlburi

Colonel Mustard

• Members
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 05:00 AM

Personally, I think the suspension is kind of silly...

http://www.suburbanc...NANA_S1.article

Zion-Benton 'Banana Boys' slip on prank
School suspends 11 seniors after costumed romp

April 23, 2008

BY NICHOLAS P. ALAJAKIS nalajakis@scn1.com
ZION -- A senior prank at Zion-Benton Township High School seemed quite humorous at first.

But as a group of students quickly learned, the administration isn't amused with monkey business.

Zion-Benton High School students (from left) Victor Lopez of Zion, Andrew Leinonen of Winthrop Harbor, Jody Walker of Winthrop Harbor and Kyle Flood of Zion, dressed as bananas, are chased by an unnamed gorilla at Village Park in Winthrop Harbor.
(Thomas Delany, Jr./News-Sun)

And so -- after 10 students in larger-than-life banana costumes ran the halls of the high school with an eleventh student dressed as a gorilla giving chase --- the bunch of boys are on the raw end of a seven-day suspension.

The prank started innocently. Senior Andrew Leinonen, who will study criminal justice at Carthage College this fall, wanted to do something that wouldn't damage property or hurt anyone, while still being hilarious. After brainstorming with a few buddies in homeroom, they came up with the banana idea.

"What's funnier than a gorilla chasing bananas through a school? Nothing," Leinonen said. "It was a harmless prank."

Leinonen -- who played the role of the gorilla -- went on a recruiting mission, quickly finding 10 guys willing to pay $30 for a banana costume. The group drew up a plan and picked a route. They planned to wear black pantyhose on their heads to remain anonymous, and even planned for escape vehicles.

The boys entered the school's main entrance around noon last Thursday and made their way through the English and science hallways before running into a crowded lunch room and then out a back door. All the while they flailed their arms and yelled "Seniors '08."

The prank was quick, and almost painless. Four bananas were rounded up by school security and the plan would soon unravel. By the next day, the boys had been slapped with a seven-day suspension and were at risk of missing prom and being kept off the stage at graduation.

Zion-Benton Township High School Superintendent Deborah Clarke said she couldn't comment on punishment because of student confidentially concerns. Clarke said the school followed guidelines in place for what they consider "serious pranks."

"We're basically enforcing our policy," Clarke said.

The same policy led to five-day suspensions for kids caught fighting in school.

The punishment was not welcomed at first. None of the "Banana Boys" had ever been in big trouble before. And most of them say they're good students who just wanted to do something memorable.

In support of them, other students planned protests. A private group dedicated to "Saving the Banana Boys" was even set up on the social networking site MySpace.com.

Fearing that the school may carry out its threat to keep them from prom and graduation, the Banana Boys said they advised others to relax and agreed to peacefully serve their punishment before returning to class May 2.

"We think this is a just punishment," said Brendon Epker, a banana who'll attend Calvin College in Grand Rapids Mich., in the fall. "We broke rules we shouldn't have broken."

Admittedly, the idea could have been thought out better, Epker said. Pantyhose on their heads probably wasn't the best idea, and calling in sick to pull off the prank didn't make administrators too happy, either. The boys were told the school responded with a long suspension because they wanted to discourage others from topping the prank, Leinonen said.

The aftermath hasn't been all bad though. The boys have become mini celebrities. One Banana Boy received free ice cream at Culver's because of his role in the prank. And Jody Walker said his grandma was proud to say her grandson was one of Banana Boys when the subject came up at a local pre-school.

"We have a lot of people supporting us. There are a lot of people telling us this was a great prank -- it was well done," Epker said.

#2 VibrantEcho

VibrantEcho

Officially Jealous

• Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:38 AM

That's hilarious.

I agree that the suspension is a little long for a truly harmless senior prank (so many of them aren't), and keeping them from prom or graduation over it is way, way overboard. I'm glad that the boys are being mature about their punishment, and I hope the school reacts in kind by not excluding them from prom and graduation.

#3 dilligaf

dilligaf
  • Members
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:10 AM

The suspension being longer that for fighting is ridiculous!

And, the threat of more punishment if they don't take it quietly is total crap. Basically appeal a decision and get a harsher sentence.

#4 sara2007

sara2007
  • Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:14 AM

We had senior prank week, guess those days are gone B)

I agree, the punishment doesn't fit the crime however in today's crazy school climate I can understand why the school came down hard on them.

#5 Nemeweh

Nemeweh

Official CB Party Planner

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:18 AM

Posted Image

Hello there boys and girls... Common Sense here again...I'd like to introduce you humans to my friend... Compassion. Compassion, meet Humanity. Next week, Compassion and I are going out with our other friends Reason and Rationality. We will be following these Banana Boys to college and beyond as they appear to have all the qualities we enjoy in humanity, namely ourselves.

#6 Jen23514

Jen23514
  • Members
  • 12,570 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:26 AM

That's hilarious.

I agree! :P :lol: :rofl: OMG.... we did "pranks" all year long, as long as it didn't interfere with classes, it was just tradition. (including when we duct taped the Chemistry teacher's chair to the wall among a lot of other things)

Hello there boys and girls... Common Sense here again...I'd like to introduce you humans to my friend... Compassion. Compassion, meet Humanity. Next week, Compassion and I are going out with our other friends Reason and Rationality. We will be following these Banana Boys to college and beyond as they appear to have all the qualities we enjoy in humanity, namely ourselves.

B) ;)

#7 baby duck

baby duck
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:25 AM

I would have much preferred that prank to others I've seen pulled. The kids around here have a propensity for releasing animals in the building.

#8 Jen23514

Jen23514
  • Members
  • 12,570 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:50 AM

I would have much preferred that prank to others I've seen pulled. The kids around here have a propensity for releasing animals in the building.

when I was a freshman, the seniors let off pepper spray (exploded the can?) in the hallway. That was in the top 5 most (physically) miserable experiences of my life.

that wasn't funny.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.