Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Everything You Wanted to Know About Bumpage...And then Some

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 four20nik

four20nik
  • Members
  • 9,207 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 11:00 AM

So, here we are...discussing an �Everything You�ve Wanted to Know About Bumpage...And Then Some� thread.

After research, spreadsheets and much analysis, here�s how it appears to work...

Each CRA allots a certain amount of �file space� in their computer system (aka �lines") for each consumer file. Some CRA�s have much more file space allotted per consumer...while others are still a little behind in the times, lol.

When the certain amount of space has been maxed out or the number of maximum lines has been reached, an interesting thing occurs...old information from certain sections begins to drop off...or disappear from the report. As new information is added to the report, the file space cannot accommodate the addition of data. It is the addition, which in effect, causes something old to drop or BUMP off. Think of it as a stack of 100 blocks...place one on top (referring to new data) and take one off the bottom (referring to the loss of the old data). There are still 100 blocks, The information within the report has changed, but the file space has not increased within the CRA system.

In the case of bumpage, the items that drop off are inquiries. While there are certain patterns that take place, the order in which items drop GENERALLY depends on the specific coding of the type of inquiry (such as credit card, mortgage, insurance, etc). Most times, inquiries drop in a FIFO pattern (First In First Out). Not all inqs will drop, however. Mortgage inqs and insurance inqs seem to be coded in such a way that those inqs will remain for the full 2 years. A/R & PRM Soft inqs generally do not bump either.

After repeated credit pulls, the new �soft inquiries� generated by you pulling your own reports eventually �pushes� the bumpable inqs off your report. As each CRA has different amounts of space, the time required and number of pulls needed definately not only varies with each CRA, but with your individual file size as well. Generally, depending on which CRA, it can take as little as 60 inqs to over 170 inqs. Remember, these are soft inqs that will NOT hurt your score. Note that bumpage will not work for EXP. The file size seems to great to exceed and they have other measures in place to prevent it.

While it does work for EQ and TU...something else new that has come of light since bumpage was discovered is another term called �Choppage�, Choppage is a preventive measure used by a CRA where they keep track of your file size and number of inqs (both soft and hard) and essentially, CHOP your soft inqs from your report BEFORE you hit the �magic number� for inquiries to obtain bumpage. It can be quite frustrating when this happens...as any day you are anticipating a hard inq to drop, yet when you pull your report that day, ALL of the inqs generated from you pulling your report are GONE. This doesnt always happen, but it happens to enough people to make light of it here in this thread...and it could happen to you!

Now, as we all know, certain benefits cannot come without consequences. Before focusing on pulling your reports as frequently as poossible to attain the �magic number� BE FOREWARNED that there are a couple things that can happen in doing this...so, think twice about the benefits of bumpage vs. the disadvantages.

The most common drawback is that generating a large file with inqs can cause your file to �split�...in essence, creating 2 credit files with 1 CRA. Some data ges transfered to the new file, some stays with your original file...one never knows exactly how the data will split. BUT...what WILL happen, is when a lender pulls your report, you never know WHICH file will be pulled. This, in addition to other issues regarding credit repair (such as disputes resulting in deletion of a baddie, yet, if the baddie shows on both the regular file and the split one, it is often only deleted from one of the files) Generally, split files can be fixed...but it really can be a pain in the kazoo. If asked, many members will be able to give more info on split files.

Another drawback is the possible loss of old, positive but no longer updated tradelines. The CRA's may attempt to clean up your file while repairing a split, it is possible that old tradelines no longer being updated may be swept away..usually your oldest positive tradelines. This can be devastating to a credit score...more so than the damage a couple of hard inquiries are doing.

SO...think twice...an know what CAN happen...both good AND bad...before you try this at home, lol.

#2 four20nik

four20nik
  • Members
  • 9,207 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 02:33 PM

REALLY well explained...

one thing though...I personally HAVE had Mortgages and Insurance INQs fall off due to this...

Yes...as have I...but it depends on the internal coding of the inq. It's ALL in the coding.

Generally speaking, these inqs are coded in such a way that they do not drop.

#3 faztcobra

faztcobra
  • Members
  • 4,169 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 02:56 PM

From my experience in months and month of pulling PG:

Mortgage inqs won't disappear from EQ, but they can be supressed due to bumpage. Both of mine from last July and August ('03) still appear on EQ, but when I pull my FICO, it says I have 0 inquiries. They're there, but they're not. Also, I had one INQ from a resident screen by an apartment that wouldn't fall off until the 2 year mark. Everything else on EQ seems to go. Never had an insurance INQ on EQ, so I don't know about those.

On TU, EVERYTHING has gone for me. For SO, EVERYTHING has gone, EXCEPT for the insurance INQs from Farmers.

For beginners, I've noticed that bumpage takes longer. It took me until about day 75 to get bumpage on TU and a few days later, EQ followed suit. This was after pulling pretty darn close to EVERY single day during that time... Now that I've got the cycle going, INQs on TU seem to fall off in about 40-45 days and about 60 on EQ.

#4 four20nik

four20nik
  • Members
  • 9,207 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 03:12 PM

Remember...YMMV...

There are varying factors as to what gets bumped, in what order, and how long it takes.

Coding, current file size, and # of inqs (total soft and hard) when you start.

So, while 1 person may get it after XX pulls, another may not see anything for XXX pulls.

And...dont forget the choppage factor!

#5 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 08:53 PM

STUCKAGE can also happen...
12/08/03
12/07/03
12/06/03<----B
12/05/03<----B
12/04/03<----STUCKAGE (my insurance inquiry did that)
12/03/03<----B
12/02/03<----B
12/01/03<----B

(dates for illustration only)

#6 four20nik

four20nik
  • Members
  • 9,207 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 10:04 AM

I don't know anything about bumpage but I pull my report everyday from PG and I don't want my file to split. I'v never seen any of my Inqs. deleted unless I dipute them as not mine. I do notice all of my pulls (soft) when I get my report in the mail. It's up to two pages. Will my file split?

I don't want to send a red flag to any of the CRA's but I like to pull my report everday. [Now I see why everyone wants to know the 'PG trick']
I just wanted it because I can be a little impatient and want to see any changes. I hope I did not screw up my file. :roll:

Generally speaking, there is no way to tell if your file is going to split...only signs that can point to a split that has already happened.

Splitage depends on several factors...it can happen when your file size gets too big...or it can happen with a name/info variation.

As far as splitage due to too many inqs, generally, if you have a large file with many tl's, your file cannot handle excessive inqs. By excessive, it varies with the CRA...for instance, 170-190 inqs on eq or 70-90 inqs on tu. This is not to say that your file WILL split...bit it is something to be mindful of. Generally, bumpage comes with the territory once you reach high inqs...but one can also lose old tl's as well...not due to split, but due to them bumping off.

Splitage/bumpage is one of those things that comes with the territory of pulling your reports daily. IMO, it is not YOUR fault you want to pull everyday. The CRA's & 3rd parties make a fortune by offering services that allow daily pulls, yet have been known to chastize an individual for pulling too often.

So, if you pull everyday, bumpage and splitage CAN happen...ther are just no signs that it is eminant.

#7 four20nik

four20nik
  • Members
  • 9,207 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 10:15 AM

*links that discuss bumpage/splittage are pasted here as well...for those of you interested on reading of RL bumpage/splitage experiences.

re: split file
http://www.creditboa...p=226873#226873

http://www.creditboa...highlight=split

http://www.creditboa...highlight=split

re: split & bumpage
http://www.creditboa...hp?mode=results

#8 Rosco

Rosco
  • Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 09:06 PM

OK, maybe I'm the only one who has ever mentioned this, but maybe it will help folks like me realize something about PG.

I am doing the $1 for 2 months thing. After a few days of look at my report, I realized that all I was doing was looking at the same report I pulled the very first day I signed up. I had a few things deleted (thanks to dispute letters) and they were still showing on the PG reports. Also, the "report date" at the top of the page still said June 10. So after calling them, I learned that once you sign in, you have to act as if you're ordering your report (for free) again...and you must do this every day in order to actually soft tap your report each day. Instead of just clicking on the "3B Credit Report" thing that is listed right above "my monitoring alert" link...you have to click on the left side of the page where it also says "3B Credit Report..." and essentially 'order' them again.

Maybe this is silly to even post, but I was looking at the same report for 6 days! What a waste of pulls! Just wanted to mention it in case anyone out there is as naive at this as I am!

#9 ArmySarge6

ArmySarge6
  • Members
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 12:36 AM

What were these tricks?

Worthknowing and Docs trick for online inq disputes with Exp.

They must have been before my time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

These "tricks" are dead and gone, just like most that get too much discussion.

#10 radi8

radi8
  • Admin
  • 27,301 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:31 AM

This is a resource thread, meant to be read only. Comments/questions will get more traffic and better responses if posted in the credit forum:
http://creditboards....php?showforum=2

Thanks!

Closing this thread to prevent future accidental postings.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.