Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

REPORTING MERCHANT VIOLATIONS

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#51 rhwbullhead

rhwbullhead
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:13 PM

I'm happy I learned about the 800-VISA-911 number here on creditboards. I've been reporting merchants to the mastercard website for quite awhile now. I still do that, but I now get more satisfaction calling Visa and making incident reports. It can sometimes be frustrating talking to the Filipino call center, but I actually feel like I'm doing something when I make the reports because they take down both my information and that of the violating merchant. I'm awaiting the letters from Visa that they say I'm supposed to receive within 10 business days.

On a sidenote, I like the operator I justed talked to now. After she completed my report, she asked if I had any more merchants that I wanted to report.

#52 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 04:19 AM

Never show ID for signed credit card purchases.

No ID required for signed credit card purchases. Merchants cannot require ID.

If a merchant tries to require ID, immediately call 1-800-VISA-911 to ensure they never do again.

VISA: 1-800-VISA-911
MasterCard: 1-800-300-3069

Also easily report merchant violations online at:

http://www.mastercar...violations.html

Check the box that says "Merchant required ID"

No ID required for signed credit card purchases.

Make sure your community is 100% violation-free. B)

#53 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 05:03 AM

CREDIT CARD SIGNATURE IS ALL THE ID NEEDED

When you pay for merchandise with a Visa card, MasterCard, or American Express any store that accepts these cards should accept yours too, no questions asked. It's part of the deal that merchants agree to when they become participating members.

They must check your signature and the card - electronically or by telephone - to be sure it's valid. Once the answer comes up yes, they can go ahead and charge. They can't ask you for any further identification - not a license plate number, Social Security number, proof of address, phone number or picture ID.

Your personal ID isn't needed because Visa, MasterCard, and American Express all guarantee payment on cards that have been properly checked. If the issuer mistakenly authorizes a sale on a bad card, it should make good. MasterCard says that merchants receive instant settlement.

Unfortunately, not all merchants play by the rules. Some, apparently, haven't read them.

WHAT YOU CAN DO

MasterCard wants to hear about merchants who break their rules. Send the name and address and an account of what happened to MasterCard International, c/o Radio City Station, P. O. Box 1288, New York, NY 10101. The merchant's bank will get a stiff letter, ordering it to investigate and bring the offending store into line - or pay a $2,000 fine.

Visa enforces the same rules as MasterCard. "When we hear about a violation, we ask the bank that signed the merchant to get together with the merchant and see that the practice is stopped," Visa representative states. To report a merchant, send a letter to the bank that issued your Visa card.

American Express also prohibits merchants from asking for IDs. "All a merchant is supposed to do is take an imprint, make sure the signature matches and swipe the card through the terminal, to get authorization."

#54 whar8

whar8
  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:00 AM

I'm happy I learned about the 800-VISA-911 number here on creditboards. I've been reporting merchants to the mastercard website for quite awhile now. I still do that, but I now get more satisfaction calling Visa and making incident reports. It can sometimes be frustrating talking to the Filipino call center, but I actually feel like I'm doing something when I make the reports because they take down both my information and that of the violating merchant. I'm awaiting the letters from Visa that they say I'm supposed to receive within 10 business days.

On a sidenote, I like the operator I justed talked to now. After she completed my report, she asked if I had any more merchants that I wanted to report.

Does Visa take your name and address and Visa card#? i would be concerned that it might inadvertentley get passed along to the merchant or merchants bank (acquirer) I like the MasterCard form as all you have to give is email address and not a full name -- alias or initials. While I know they say they protect you privacy, I would not want even the call center person at Visa recording my information along with the merchant violation.

Do you have concerns about this?

#55 whar8

whar8
  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:02 AM

what happens if you present a signed card and the cashier asks for ID because the signature on the receipt does not match the signature on the card?

Ask them to call it in for verfication. There is some code you can say to them or phrase where they should get it if they are smart.

Does anyone know the code of phrase to use?

#56 whar8

whar8
  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:07 AM

So the final word?

Do you call your issuer or do you call Visa/MasterCard?

Visa says pretty clearly your issuer can document your complaint. Mastercard does not say this, but has an online form that you have to fill out when you get to a computer. (I never get a reply other than an auto one from them.)

I have Chase and HSBC as my issuer and neither are equipped to document merchant violations. They keep saying its a merchant dispute (aka charge dispute) and transfer me there, but when I say I sucessfully completed transaction yet there were issue they say they can't help me. Ughgh!

I like to just call the # on the back of my card (issuer) when I step outside the shop and get it over with, rather than wait until I get to a computer for a form.

Any tips on who to ask for at your card issues customer service department to document merchant rule violations? Thanks.

#57 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 04:49 AM

It's more efficient to contact Visa/MC directly. Simply call 1-800-VISA-911, press zero twice, and ask to file a "incident report" regarding a merchant violation/merchant who required ID. It's quick, easy, and fun! 1-800-VISA-911.

No ID required for signed credit card purchases. Merchants cannot require ID.

If a merchant tries to require ID, immediately call 1-800-VISA-911 to ensure they never do again.

VISA: 1-800-VISA-911
MasterCard: 1-800-300-3069

Also easily report merchant violations online at:

http://www.mastercar...violations.html

Check the box that says "Merchant required ID"

No ID required for signed credit card purchases.

Make sure your community is 100% violation-free. :unsure:

#58 whar8

whar8
  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:52 PM

My issue would be that I would have to share my personal information to Visa- over the phone-even though I only use MasterCard now adays. I guess this is required because they mail you a form to fill out and return afterwards? I do not want to give myname, address, card#, much less they probably have my telephone # by means of Caller ID. While I am sure they do not share it with the merchant or the processor I like to be a private person and do all I can to protect my identity

#59 webworm98

webworm98
  • Members
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:48 PM

My issue would be that I would have to share my personal information to Visa- over the phone-even though I only use MasterCard now adays. I guess this is required because they mail you a form to fill out and return afterwards? I do not want to give myname, address, card#, much less they probably have my telephone # by means of Caller ID. While I am sure they do not share it with the merchant or the processor I like to be a private person and do all I can to protect my identity

I am talking about if you call MasterCard or Visa.
Both companies Visa and Mastercard already know your Debit & Credit number and personal information. So giving the card number to the representative should be no problem. Another reason is to verify that it is the Card holder holding the card.

If you can not get a hold of your bank. You can call Mastercard or Visa to have your card blocked (report it lost, stolen or comprised). If using a debit they can only block the signature part of the card.

Edited by webworm98, 17 June 2008 - 03:50 PM.

#60 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 03:33 AM

Either way works fine. In the end, the violating merchant no longer asks for ID, and that's what's important. <_<

#61 webworm98

webworm98
  • Members
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:42 AM

I am talking about if you call MasterCard or Visa.
Both companies Visa and Mastercard already know your Debit & Credit number and personal information. So giving the card number to the representative should be no problem. Another reason is to verify that it is the Card holder holding the card.

If you can not get a hold of your bank. You can call Mastercard or Visa to have your card blocked (report it lost, stolen or comprised). If using a debit they can only block the signature part of the card.

Either way works fine. In the end, the violating merchant no longer asks for ID, and that's what's important. :P

Continental it does not always work and that is a fact.

Ugh, I didn't say to report them. Only if you decide to call MasterCard or Visa and you get a live person it is ok to give them your card number.

#62 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 05:56 AM

Do you call your issuer or do you call Visa/MasterCard?

I like to just call the # on the back of my card (issuer) when I step outside the shop and get it over with, rather than wait until I get to a computer for a form.

It's more efficient to contact Visa/MC directly, but either way is fine. To report, simply call 1-800-VISA-911, press zero twice, and ask to file an "incident report" regarding a merchant violation/merchant who required ID. It's quick, easy, and fun! 1-800-VISA-911. Make sure your community is 100% violation-free. :mellow:

#63 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 12:37 AM

they mail you a form to fill out and return afterwards?

No, there is no form to return. It is all done over the phone. One call does it all. Quick, easy and fun! 1-800-VISA-911.

Make sure your community is 100% violation-free. :)

#64 undertakeress

undertakeress
  • Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 11:46 PM

Okay, so in trying to educate the managers and clerks at work, I find Visa's merchant agreement (I couldn't find anything about ID in Mastercard's merchant agreement so if anyone has the link, please post it).

It says in Visa's:
Although Visa rules do not preculde merchands from asking for cardholder ID, merchants cannot make an ID a condition of acceptance. Therefore, merchants cannot rufse to complete a purchase transaction because a cardholder refuses to provide ID.

So basically, clerks CAN ask for ID - you just don't have to provide it. Also, technically, a business doesn't have to sell goods to you.

This is such a slippery slope.

#65 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 04:02 AM

Merchants cannot require ID and should not ask for ID as part of their regular card acceptance procedures. So if you are ever asked for ID, immediately call 1-800-VISA-911 to ensure the practice is stopped at once. Make sure your community is 100% violation-free. :dntknw:

When you pay for merchandise with a Visa card, MasterCard, or American Express any store that accepts these cards should accept yours too, no questions asked. It's part of the deal that merchants agree to when they become participating members.

They must check your signature and the card - electronically or by telephone - to be sure it's valid. Once the answer comes up yes, they can go ahead and charge. They can't ask you for any further identification - not a license plate number, Social Security number, proof of address, phone number or picture ID.

Your personal ID isn't needed because Visa, MasterCard, and American Express all guarantee payment on cards that have been properly checked. If the issuer mistakenly authorizes a sale on a bad card, it should make good. MasterCard says that merchants receive instant settlement.

Unfortunately, not all merchants play by the rules. Some, apparently, haven't read them.

WHAT YOU CAN DO

MasterCard wants to hear about merchants who break their rules. Send the name and address and an account of what happened to MasterCard International, c/o Radio City Station, P. O. Box 1288, New York, NY 10101. The merchant's bank will get a stiff letter, ordering it to investigate and bring the offending store into line - or pay a $2,000 fine.

Visa enforces the same rules as MasterCard. "When we hear about a violation, we ask the bank that signed the merchant to get together with the merchant and see that the practice is stopped," Visa representative states. To report a merchant, send a letter to the bank that issued your Visa card.

American Express also prohibits merchants from asking for IDs. "All a merchant is supposed to do is take an imprint, make sure the signature matches and swipe the card through the terminal, to get authorization."

#66 undertakeress

undertakeress
  • Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 11:16 AM

Continental, you don't need to spam this up again. I asked for direct citation from the merchant agreement (page numbers) so I can print that off for my employees. What you posted does not help me. THankfully someone PM'd me with the info.

Also, with the copy I printed off from page 29 of the Visa merchant agreement, while Visa doesn't suggest it, you CAN ask for ID, but you CANNOT make that a condition of sale. Meaning that the customer can refuse to show it and you still must complete the sale.

Also, since most POS transactions are done by the custoemr and the cashier doesn't see the signature, how can they check the signature per Visa/MC rules? That rule seems outdated.

Edited by undertakeress, 26 July 2008 - 11:20 AM.

#67 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:35 AM

I call Visa directly. I get letters similar to the one below and if I go back to the reported merchant, the nonsense has stopped.

Posted Image

Thank you for taking the time to make a difference. :angry:

Merchants cannot require ID and should not ask for ID as part of their regular card acceptance procedures. So if you are ever asked for ID, immediately call 1-800-VISA-911 to ensure the practice is stopped at once. It's quick, easy, and fun! 1-800-VISA-911.

Make sure your community is 100% violation-free. :angry:

#68 whar8

whar8
  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:46 PM

I call Visa directly. I get letters similar to the one below and if I go back to the reported merchant, the nonsense has stopped.

Posted Image

Thank you for taking the time to make a difference. ;)

Merchants cannot require ID and should not ask for ID as part of their regular card acceptance procedures. So if you are ever asked for ID, immediately call 1-800-VISA-911 to ensure the practice is stopped at once. It's quick, easy, and fun! 1-800-VISA-911.

Make sure your community is 100% violation-free. :D

So you have to give V your name and address for them to send you this letter? Also they leave out that merchants can ask for personal information if needed to complete the transaction - not creidt card part though - like delivery so they would need your address etc...

And look -- they recommend you contact - call - your ISSUER. How many times do we call our issuers about Merchant violation and they are clueless about it and can't help - I have.

#69 athensgaguy

athensgaguy
  • Members
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:58 PM

5.6.3 Additional Cardholder Identification
A Merchant must not refuse to complete a Transaction solely because a
Cardholder who has complied with the conditions for presentment of a Card at
the POI refuses to provide additional identification information, except as
specifically permitted or required by the Standards. A Merchant may require
additional identification from the Cardholder if the information is required to
complete the Transaction, such as for shipping purposes. A Merchant in a
country or region that supports use of the MasterCard Address Verification
Service (AVS) may require the Cardholder’s ZIP or postal code to complete a
Cardholder-Activated Terminal (CAT) Transaction, or the Cardholder’s address
and ZIP or postal code to complete a mail order, phone order, or e-commerce
Transaction.

Link if it's ok:
http://www.mastercar..._Rules_5_08.pdf

#70 J123

J123
  • Newbies
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:50 PM

Does anyone know if this policy applies to transactions outside the US? I've traveled around Europe, and found that in some countries, it is commonplace to ask for ID whenever paying by credit card. In Sweden, for example, I was asked to show ID (what they call "legitimation") even when using my credit cards at fine restaurants.

#71 ibanix

ibanix
  • Newbies
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 04:26 PM

I finally made a report. The guy at the VISA call center must not have been very familiar with an Incident Report, because he put me on hold a few times.

Be persistent!

#72 ibanix

ibanix
  • Newbies
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 04:27 PM

I finally made a report. The guy at the VISA call center must not have been very familiar with an Incident Report, because he put me on hold a few times.

Be persistent!

#73 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 05:02 AM

..Visa believes merchants SHOULD NOT ASK for ID as part of their regular card acceptance procedures. So if you are ever asked for ID, immediately call 1-800-VISA-911 to ensure the practice is stopped at once. It's quick, easy, and fun! 1-800-VISA-911. Make sure your community is 100% violation-free. :rolleyes:

WHAT YOU CAN DO

MasterCard wants to hear about merchants who break their rules. Send the name and address and an account of what happened to MasterCard WorldWide 2000 Purchase St. Purchase, NY 10577. The merchant's bank will get a stiff letter, ordering it to investigate and bring the offending store into line - or pay a $2,000 fine.

Visa enforces the same rules as MasterCard. "When we hear about a violation, we ask the bank that signed the merchant to get together with the merchant and see that the practice is stopped," Visa representative states. To report a merchant, send a letter to the bank that that issued your Visa card.

#74 Uncle Leo

Uncle Leo
  • Bloggers
  • 8,701 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 09:53 AM

Be persistent!

Visa believes merchants SHOULD NOT ASK for ID as part of their regular card acceptance procedures. So if you are ever asked for ID, immediately call 1-800-VISA-911 to ensure the practice is stopped at once.

LOL! If VISA did they'd spend some time actually educating their own employees about it.

#75 thelowpriceleader

thelowpriceleader
  • Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 03:00 AM

You've got that right. Last time I called, it took me about 4 people before someone would take a report. I got the same person on two calls who kept re-connecting me to my bank, who will not take reports but does seem to have some knowledge of these rules now (and also directs me back to Visa Assistance Center to file a report). Maybe just a coincidence.

Whatever the case may be, I eventually got the report filed, which is all that matters. Speaker phone is very handy.

Edited by thelowpriceleader, 04 August 2008 - 03:01 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.