Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Do any banks provide a cashier's check w/o having an account??

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 righteousbabe

righteousbabe
  • Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 05:34 PM

I have a need to convert a sum of cash into an instrument acceptable for deposit at my internet bank (ING direct).

So, I went around to various local banks to try and get a cashier's check. No one will give me one if I don't have an account there. I offered to pay a fee to no avail. I don't understand, cash is cash.... :rofl:

Finally, I went to the post office to purchase money orders, since they are almost always considered trustworthy and allow for larger amounts.

Money orders are not acceptable to ING direct (which is stupid but anyway)... which I found out by reading the instructions for mailing a deposit, AFTER I paid for several postal money orders. :angry:

Anyone know how to get a cashier's check or teller check without being an account holder at the bank?

My local bank is not an option (the one I'm linked to w/ING)... I am in a huge dispute with them at the moment. They have screwed me and I am not handing them any cash that I need to have available thereafter... they've lost my trust. :rofl:

Edited by righteousbabe, 17 March 2007 - 05:35 PM.

#2 Genna

Genna
  • Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 05:56 PM

Banks usually debit your account when you purchase a cashier's check, which is why they are unable to generate a check for you (no account to debit).

The only suggestion I have is to open a free checking account somewhere, get the cashier's check and close the account after you have funded the ING account.

#3 righteousbabe

righteousbabe
  • Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 06:32 PM

Banks usually debit your account when you purchase a cashier's check, which is why they are unable to generate a check for you (no account to debit).

The only suggestion I have is to open a free checking account somewhere, get the cashier's check and close the account after you have funded the ING account.

Thanks.... but I still don't see why, if I have the cash in my hand...? Surely there is some other way (aside from money orders) to pay for things when one doesn't have a checking account available?

Anyway, because of the aforementioned dispute with my local bank, and a resulting report to chexsystems until we settle that matter, I don't think I'll have much luck opening another account elsewhere right now. :blink:

I am headed to my local bank for a final "hash it all out" on monday, perhaps there will be some resolution and I can use the account or close it and start over.

#4 ChristiL

ChristiL
  • Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:53 PM

Anyway, because of the aforementioned dispute with my local bank, and a resulting report to chexsystems until we settle that matter, I don't think I'll have much luck opening another account elsewhere right now. :D

Hi,
www.chexvictims.com has a list of non-chexsystems banks that might help.

HTH,
Christi

#5 righteousbabe

righteousbabe
  • Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:21 PM

Anyway, because of the aforementioned dispute with my local bank, and a resulting report to chexsystems until we settle that matter, I don't think I'll have much luck opening another account elsewhere right now. :D

Hi,
www.chexvictims.com has a list of non-chexsystems banks that might help.

HTH,
Christi

That DOES help, thanks! Now of course I hope I'm right and it is indeed chexsystems that the bank uses. Watch it be the other one. There are several aren't there?

#6 mca

mca

Lead - Chexsystems Help Forum

• Members
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:35 AM

there is chexsystems , telecheck, and some use just a credit report to verify..some will report you even if they don't use them

#7 2Logical

2Logical
  • Members
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:05 PM

YES, but I think banks charge you whereas a credit union may do it free of charge.

#8 seasonbiz

seasonbiz
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:43 PM

Woodforest bank will give you a cashier check without a bank account

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.