Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Saturday Night Live - Target Store Skit: ID required!

• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

#1 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:56 AM

Target Cashier: "Debit?"
Customer: "Credit."
Target Cashier: "May I see your driver's license?"
Customer gives cashier driver's license.
Target Cashier: "It's a match."

All of this done like it is the regular everyday routine! This is outrageous! Saturday Night Live is training consumers to be idiots! Everybody call Saturday Night Live and set them straight.

And immediately call 1-800-VISA-911 if anyone ever does this to you in real life.

No ID for credit card purchases ever!

#2 OMyStarz

OMyStarz
  • Members
  • 840 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 08:08 AM

I know the Post Office won't take a cc/debit card without a signature, and they always ask for my ID/DL to verify the signature.

I have no problem with that.

#3 psp

psp

The Nice One

• Mod Squad
  • 10,761 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 08:28 AM

we've had several lengthy discussions on this subject before. :D

#4 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 02:19 PM

and they always ask for my ID/DL to verify the signature.

Call 1-800-VISA-911 to file an incident report immediately, and make sure that post office never asks for ID again just to compare signatures with a signed credit card.

#5 gweedoh

gweedoh
  • Members
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 02:28 PM

and they always ask for my ID/DL to verify the signature.

Call 1-800-VISA-911 to file an incident report immediately, and make sure that post office never asks for ID again just to compare signatures with a signed credit card.

I always use credit instead of debit and get asked for my ID about 50% of the time.

What's the problem with this? I'd rather it be this way than someone steal my card and use it with no concern of someone checking ID.

#6 aescutie

aescutie

The Fed Up One

• Members
  • 7,043 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 02:33 PM

there's a Visa/MC policy forum on this board for these discussions, right?

#7 morimoto

morimoto
  • Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 02:45 PM

And MEN......BURN YOUR DRAFT CARDS!!!!!! WOMEN......TAKE YOUR BRAS OFF AND BURN THEM!!!!! FIGHT THE POWER!!!!!!!!!!

LOL, just kidding, even though i am fan women taking their bras off!

Edited by morimoto, 28 December 2006 - 02:46 PM.

#8 iceblulady

iceblulady
  • Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:27 PM

I am a CS manager for a furniture store and when someone uses a cc or debt card we ask for ID. Reason being we have had people try to use a stolen card before. Alot of people do not sign the back of their card or the signature gets worn off. There was even a case where someone did not sign the back and the card was stolen so the theft signed it for them.
I get more hassle from people not wanting to give an ID for using a check then a cc/debt card.

#9 Sardo Neumspa

Sardo Neumspa
  • Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 04:05 PM

I am a CS manager for a furniture store and when someone uses a cc or debt card we ask for ID. Reason being we have had people try to use a stolen card before. Alot of people do not sign the back of their card or the signature gets worn off. There was even a case where someone did not sign the back and the card was stolen so the theft signed it for them.
I get more hassle from people not wanting to give an ID for using a check then a cc/debt card.

Each time you request for a customer to show you their ID for a credit card purchase when the customer gives you a signed card is a violation of Visa AND Mastercard Merchant Agreement Policies. The only times you are allowed to check ID is if the card is NOT signed, in which case you are to compare signatures on their identification to the slip to make sure they match AND tell the customer to sign their card. If the customer refuses to sign their card, you are to REFUSE the transaction.

From the Mastercard Merchant Agreement Manual:

9.11.2 Cardholder Identification
A merchant must not refuse to complete a MasterCard card transaction solely because a cardholder who has complied with the conditions for presentment of a card at the POI refuses to provide additional identification information, except as specifically permitted or required by the Standards. A merchant may require additional identification from the cardholder if the information is required to complete the transaction, such as for shipping purposes. A merchant in a country or region that supports use of the MasterCard Address Verification Service (AVS) may require the cardholder’s ZIP or postal code to complete a cardholder-activated terminal (CAT) transaction, or the cardholder’s address and ZIP or postal code to complete a mail order, phone order, or e-commerce transaction.

2.1.1.3 Unsigned Cards
If the card is not signed, the card acceptor must:
• obtain an authorization from the issuer, and
• ask the cardholder to provide identification (but not record the cardholder identification information), and
• require the cardholder to sign the card.
The card acceptor must not complete the transaction if the cardholder refuses to sign the card.

Edited to fix format in the "quoted" text

Edited by Sardo Neumspa, 28 December 2006 - 04:12 PM.

#10 andol469

andol469
  • Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 04:20 PM

SNL is a show. A comedy show. I really hope people are not calling NBC to complain about this. It defines 'trivial.'

#11 iceblulady

iceblulady
  • Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 04:40 PM

I really do not care what the rules are. If asking for an ID to help prevent fraud works I will continue ask and I am not going to refuse a sale because someone does not want to sign their card. I will ask for their ID.
Also 9 times of 10 the customer usually already has both their ID and CC out before they even come to the counter.

#12 screwedbysears

screwedbysears

CB Nail Gun Pro

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 04:52 PM

The reason that they are not to ask for id is because ID's can be forged signatures are a lot harder. this is way the should process the transaction, is you hand them your card they run it through and then you sign the receipt they are then to hold up the signature next to the one signed on the back of the card and see if they match which no one does just as no one really pays attention to your id or your signature
see link below

http://www.zug.com/g...thread_id=50468

#13 tozion

tozion
  • Members
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 04:54 PM

The reason that they are not to ask for id is because ID's can be forged signatures are a lot harder. this is way the should process the transaction, is you hand them your card they run it through and then you sign the receipt they are then to hold up the signature next to the one signed on the back of the card and see if they match which no one does just as no one really pays attention to your id or your signature
see link below

Where's GEORGE when you need him B)

COME BACK !!!!

#14 iceblulady

iceblulady
  • Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 05:13 PM

see link below

Unless you are still carrying one of those ID's that that were 2 pieces of plastic that you can tear apart and glue back together ID's are very hard to forged. Signatures on the other hand are very easy all you need is about 30 mins of practice. Even as a teenager I was signing my mom and dads name to everything.

Also we do not give out receipts to customers to sign we have invoices. They have to sign a signature pad and after they press accept it shows up on the computer screen.

#15 SevenYearItch

SevenYearItch
  • Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 05:36 PM

Citi supposedly offers the option to have your photograph put on the CC, and that's an option I plan to use. I haven't got anything from Citi yet in the mail, so I don't yet know what needs to be done...

I usually don't fret too much if a merchant asks me for ID when I use a CC (even though it's a violation of the CC network's policy), but I'll crack up (and possibly raise a stink) if a clerk asks me for ID when I use that Citi card!!

#16 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 06:22 AM

They have to sign a signature pad and after they press accept it shows up on the computer screen.

...and you compare the signature with the one on credit card.

Never show ID for credit card purchases ever!

#17 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 07:37 AM

I know the Post Office won't take a cc/debit card without a signature, and they always ask for my ID/DL to verify the signature.

MY POST OFFICE DOESN'T DO ID's ON SIGNED CARDS

THEY DON'T DO CID or UNSIGNED CARDS

(REFUSED)

Edited by GEORGE, 29 December 2006 - 07:38 AM.

#18 auser99

auser99
  • Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 07:53 AM

I prefer they ask for I.D

Target Cashier: "Debit?"
Customer: "Credit."
Target Cashier: "May I see your driver's license?"
Customer gives cashier driver's license.
Target Cashier: "It's a match."

All of this done like it is the regular everyday routine! This is outrageous! Saturday Night Live is training consumers to be idiots! Everybody call Saturday Night Live and set them straight.

And immediately call 1-800-VISA-911 if anyone ever does this to you in real life.

#19 chriswufgator

chriswufgator
  • Members
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 09:16 AM

[quote name='iceblulady' date='Dec 28 2006, 05:13 PM' post='1979284']
[quote name='screwedbysears' post='1979245' date='Dec 28 2006, 04:52 PM']

Unless you are still carrying one of those ID's that that were 2 pieces of plastic that you can tear apart and glue back together ID's are very hard to forged. Signatures on the other hand are very easy all you need is about 30 mins of practice. Even as a teenager I was signing my mom and dads name to everything.

[/quote]

Ummm....I hate to break it to ya, but IDs are anything but hard to fake. My cousin (college student) just got her first fake ID for $150.00, and it looks just like the real thing. Lo and behold, $150 and she's now 21....Voila. I myself had one when I first started college, since most of the sports bars and other places in Gville were 21+ only. I'm not saying this is legal, but it happens more often than not...I'd bet 75% of high school and college students have one, and most of them are just like the real ones, holograms and everything. You can have it say whatever name you like on it, along with your real picture.

Point is, if a theif is anything but a total idiot, he'll have already either gotten a fake ID before he goes to use the cards he stole, or he'll have cloned the info off the mag stripe on the card he stole to a new card, WELL BEFORE you ever get to see his smiling face. For a real CC fraudster, checking his ID isn't guna do squat.

So, the net result of your insistence on IDs is probably very unlikely to stop an actual CC theif and a lot more likely to inconvenience and P.O. your true customers. Especially if they forgot their license or something. Plus, as stated here, it is definitely against the issuer's policies, and eventually someone will probably report you.

The multibillion dollar CC companies already fully protect their customers from fraud and unauthorized use, they really don't need a checkout clerk to help them out.

My two cents anyway.

#20 Jen23514

Jen23514
  • Members
  • 12,565 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:02 AM

And MEN......BURN YOUR DRAFT CARDS!!!!!! WOMEN......TAKE YOUR BRAS OFF AND BURN THEM!!!!! FIGHT THE POWER!!!!!!!!!!

LOL, just kidding, even though i am fan women taking their bras off!

:) :)

#21 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 68,274 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:32 AM

I thought the skit was not that funny but I knew some people would get all bent out of shape because of the ID check. LOL.

#22 Slice Stevens

Slice Stevens
  • Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:12 AM

Most consumers have zero liability when paying with a credit card, so the prevent fraud - for your own good BS is meaningless. As a consumer using a credit card I'm more worried about the cashier memorizing my driver's license and perpetuating some sort of fraud than I am about some one stealing my card and using it with out my knowledge. Merchants agree to the terms. If they don't like the terms or are concerned about their own personal liability they shouldn't accept credit cards. Signing the card and refusing to show ID is the best way to protect you from fraud.

#23 Slice Stevens

Slice Stevens
  • Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:15 AM

Most consumers have zero liability when paying with a credit card, so the prevent fraud - for your own good BS is meaningless. As a consumer using a credit card I'm more worried about the cashier memorizing my driver's license and perpetuating some sort of fraud than I am about some one stealing my card and using it with out my knowledge. Merchants agree to the terms. If they don't like the terms or are concerned about their own personal liability they shouldn't accept credit cards. Signing the card and refusing to show ID is the best way to protect you from fraud.

One more thing! The more reveling information on a driver's license number is your home address. You are telling thieves where you live.

#24 johnr

johnr
  • Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:45 AM

MY POST OFFICE DOESN'T DO ID's ON SIGNED CARDS

THEY DON'T DO CID or UNSIGNED CARDS

(REFUSED)

I'm sure others have said (and I hate to hijack this thread -- which is in the wrong place anyway :offtopic: ), but Glad to see you back GEORGE and I hope that the Chrisrtmas buying season wasn't too stressful for you... (not that I think you're a wimp or anything.) Happy New Year's to you.

John

#25 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 05:38 AM

Which is why it is so disturbing to see something like this acted out on Saturday Night Live like it is the normal everyday routine- training consumers to be idiots- giving their IDs to anybody, and believing whatever BS lies these horrible merchants make up.

Immediately call 1-800-VISA-911 if anybody does this to you in real life.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.