Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Saturday Night Live - Target Store Skit: ID required!

• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

#226 DragonFlyer

DragonFlyer

Mrs. O'Leary

• Banned
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:39 PM

George, I can only assume what kinds of heck you'd raise if you got "drafted" in the military for any reason and had to have Military ID for EVERYTHING, which has your SSN on it. LOL

Wow.

#227 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:26 PM

George, I can only assume what kinds of heck you'd raise if you got "drafted" in the military for any reason and had to have Military ID for EVERYTHING, which has your SSN on it. LOL

Wow.

FOR SOCIAL SECURITY and INCOME TAX PURPOSES ONLY...NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION

...next???

#228 hlburi

hlburi

Colonel Mustard

• Members
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 03:10 AM

No reasonable adult would hand over their ID to some violating cashier at Target or anywhere..

I do all the time. And I consider myself fairly reasonable. Almost every store in my neck of the woods asks for id (Victorias Secret, Saks, Best Buy) I've not had my identity "thefted" yet.

#229 hlburi

hlburi

Colonel Mustard

• Members
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 03:11 AM

Extreme invasion of privacy??? C'mon. Seriously....if you're that paranoid about your identity, shouldn't you get a PO Box and use that for your address on your ID? If your position is that a store clerk is going to memorize your home address and come rob you, $21 for 6 months ($3.50 a month) seems like a very small price to pay to protect your family and possessions.

+1

#230 hlburi

hlburi

Colonel Mustard

• Members
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 03:14 AM

Most consumers have zero liability when paying with a credit card, so the prevent fraud - for your own good BS is meaningless. As a consumer using a credit card I'm more worried about the cashier memorizing my driver's license and perpetuating some sort of fraud than I am about some one stealing my card and using it with out my knowledge. Merchants agree to the terms. If they don't like the terms or are concerned about their own personal liability they shouldn't accept credit cards. Signing the card and refusing to show ID is the best way to protect you from fraud.

One more thing! The more reveling information on a driver's license number is your home address. You are telling thieves where you live.

Obviously it is a major security and identity theft risk, extreme invasion of privacy, and a no-brainer to keep your ID to yourself. No reasonable adult would hand over their ID to some violating cashier at Target or anywhere..

Extreme invasion of privacy??? C'mon. Seriously....if you're that paranoid about your identity, shouldn't you get a PO Box and use that for your address on your ID? If your position is that a store clerk is going to memorize your home address and come rob you, $21 for 6 months ($3.50 a month) seems like a very small price to pay to protect your family and possessions.

It's a potential invasion of privacy, but hardly 'extreme'.

The state I live in now does not allow anything but your literal physical address on your DL/ID, and you have to provide something like a utility bill or something proving that you actually do live there and that it's not a private mail box address either. PO boxes are not allowed. I still get my mail at a PO box, but I cannot put it on my DL.

The state I formerly lived in allowed PO boxes, and I did just that.

The way around that is not to use the Post Office PO Box, but one of those from a mail box store. It looks just like a physical address "1234 Anywhere Street, No 111". Have a bill sent to that address and you've just gotten past that requirement.

#231 hlburi

hlburi

Colonel Mustard

• Members
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 03:15 AM

gweedoh - read aloud...

NO MINIMUMS

NO MAXIMUMS

NO SURCHARGES

NO ID

...and repeat as necessary until it finally sinks in.

http://www.mastercar...violations.html

Sorry, but how exactly is this a coherent response to my post?

don't expect anything coherent from Continental. He's a bot...

#232 hlburi

hlburi

Colonel Mustard

• Members
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 03:16 AM

THE DRIVERS LICENSE IS IN MY WALLET

(in my pants pocket)

My card is in my hand or in my shirt pocket

GET IT???

no...

#233 hlburi

hlburi

Colonel Mustard

• Members
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 03:18 AM

I try to avoid unnecessary problems by advocating procedures that are in place to protect consumers and most importantly my family. Arguing with a clerk is not necessary. If they want the ID I tell them I'm not showing it and they can either complete the transaction or I'll take my business somewhere else.

No one should be inconvenienced by having to shop elsewhere. The most important thing is making sure it never happens again and if any violating merchant pops-up in your community, make sure they are eliminated/brought back into line immediately - 1-800-VISA-911.

and some of us have a life and too much to do to go around reporting every Tom Dick and Harry merchant that asks for id...

:dntknw:

#234 Uncle Leo

Uncle Leo
  • Bloggers
  • 8,699 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:42 AM

It's a potential invasion of privacy, but hardly 'extreme'.

The state I live in now does not allow anything but your literal physical address on your DL/ID, and you have to provide something like a utility bill or something proving that you actually do live there and that it's not a private mail box address either. PO boxes are not allowed. I still get my mail at a PO box, but I cannot put it on my DL.

The state I formerly lived in allowed PO boxes, and I did just that.

The way around that is not to use the Post Office PO Box, but one of those from a mail box store. It looks just like a physical address "1234 Anywhere Street, No 111". Have a bill sent to that address and you've just gotten past that requirement.

They want the utility bill because it lists a "service address", separate and distinct from a mailing address. If there's a way I can make it look like my electricity is powering the UPS store, I'm not aware of it.

#235 DragonFlyer

DragonFlyer

Mrs. O'Leary

• Banned
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:04 AM

Most utility companies I have dealt with allow for your billing address to be on file vs. service address. If you think about it, the landlord that receives the bill for a utility doesn't actually LIVE at the service address...so why would their ID need to show an address they don't live at? Same goes for your own utility bill....just request a different billing address and have THAT put on your IDs. :D

#236 jw1980

jw1980
  • Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:00 PM

Since 9/11, not all states allow PO boxes or any other non-residental address on ID.

For those of you who show ID, take a few minutes and use post its or adhesive labels to block out the DL/ID#, date of birth, address, magstripe on the back, and the bar code(s) on the back. It will make you safer.

The only time this info needs to be used is when conducting official government or airline business. It can be unblocked easily enough then.

A good identity thief will be able to steal your identity after handling an uncovered license for five seconds. The scam is relatively easy to pull off, and consumers are most vulnerable while buying alcohol and tobacco.

#237 Uncle Leo

Uncle Leo
  • Bloggers
  • 8,699 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:10 PM

Most utility companies I have dealt with allow for your billing address to be on file vs. service address. If you think about it, the landlord that receives the bill for a utility doesn't actually LIVE at the service address...so why would their ID need to show an address they don't live at? Same goes for your own utility bill....just request a different billing address and have THAT put on your IDs. :dntknw:

All my utility bills... electric, gas, water/garbage... have two addresses on the front of the bill. Mailing address and service address. Each has it's own dedicated spot on the bill. If they're the same, they're both still listed in their respective spots.

Maybe it's a state thing where I live, I don't know, but I do know that when I went to get my new DL after I moved here they went by the service address.

As far as a landlord goes, they would be expected to provide the bill for where they live, not any other properties they own and rent out. That may be a way around it for them, I don't know.

#238 hlburi

hlburi

Colonel Mustard

• Members
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:14 PM

Most utility companies I have dealt with allow for your billing address to be on file vs. service address. If you think about it, the landlord that receives the bill for a utility doesn't actually LIVE at the service address...so why would their ID need to show an address they don't live at? Same goes for your own utility bill....just request a different billing address and have THAT put on your IDs. :dntknw:

All my utility bills... electric, gas, water/garbage... have two addresses on the front of the bill. Mailing address and service address. Each has it's own dedicated spot on the bill. If they're the same, they're both still listed in their respective spots.

Maybe it's a state thing where I live, I don't know, but I do know that when I went to get my new DL after I moved here they went by the service address.

As far as a landlord goes, they would be expected to provide the bill for where they live, not any other properties they own and rent out. That may be a way around it for them, I don't know.

There is still ways to get around it if you really wanted to. Photoshop is a great program :dntknw:

#239 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:37 AM

There is still ways to get around it if you really wanted to. Photoshop is a great program

Any serious in-store crook will have fake ID.

#240 Uncle Leo

Uncle Leo
  • Bloggers
  • 8,699 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:01 PM

There is still ways to get around it if you really wanted to. Photoshop is a great program

Any serious in-store crook will have fake ID.

Define "serious".

#241 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:24 PM

Just walk away and do nothing else...THEY WILL CONTINUE TO DO THE WRONG THING

Are you familiar with the broken window theory? Sociological research suggests that non-enforcement of minor violations of laws or rules encourages further violations from others, resulting in a viscous cycle that continues to breed breaches of what is defined as acceptable behavior.

This isn't esoteric stuff. People are more likely to litter if a city does not respond to a litter problem with cleaning and enforcement. The mere presence of litter is likely to breed more litter, as those who are not inherently inclined to litter feel that they aren't creating a problem that doesn't already exist.

Anecdotal evidence presented in this forum suggests that violations tend to cluster. Certain cities, and even certain sections of cities, have a high concentration of violating merchants. Although correlation is not causation, the argument that violations breed violations does have merit.

#242 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:53 PM

There are also dishonest employees. You pay with your credit card so you give the clerk your number. Now you show the clerk your identification, now they have your birthdate, DL number, full address, zip code, etc... Pretty much what they need to use your card fraudulently online. Also they potentially could attempt to open accounts with that information. Despite popular belief, a SS number is not necessarily needed to run a credit report. There are people out there with photographic memories - my best friend has one.

A good identity thief will be able to steal your identity after seeing your license for five seconds. The scam is relatively easy to pull off.

Never show ID for credit card purchases.

No ID required for credit card purchases.

Make sure your community is 100% violation-free. :D

#243 Uncle Leo

Uncle Leo
  • Bloggers
  • 8,699 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:29 PM

A good identity thief will be able to steal your identity after seeing your license for five seconds.

What do bad thieves do?

#244 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 67,583 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:01 PM

A good identity thief will be able to steal your identity after seeing your license for five seconds.

What do bad thieves do?

WORK RETAIL lol

BUT AREN'T ALL ID THIEVES BAD?

#245 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:59 PM

What do bad thieves do?

Use cameras.

#246 Equation

Equation
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:25 AM

A new Saturday Night Live Target Store Skit episode aired tonight. This time the cashier correctly compared the signatures and did not ask for ID. Glad to see Saturday Night Live got the message.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/target-lady/227541/

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.