Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Saturday Night Live - Target Store Skit: ID required!

• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

#26 Mister T

Mister T
  • Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 07:14 AM

As a consumer using a credit card I'm more worried about the cashier memorizing my driver's license and perpetuating some sort of fraud than I am about some one stealing my card and using it with out my knowledge.

Do you seriously think that a cashier is going to use his or her photographic memory to remember your information, when he or she probably has 10 paper checks in the till with a name, address, DL, and checking account number?

Merchants agree to the terms. If they don't like the terms or are concerned about their own personal liability they shouldn't accept credit cards. Signing the card and refusing to show ID is the best way to protect you from fraud.

Merchants agree to terms. The person making $6.75 at Wal-Mart didn't, and almost certainly doesn't care about any "education" passed on from a customer.

Although it has been well over a decade since I've been on that side of a cash register, I can tell you firsthand that people make up all sorts of insane laws and policies that don't exist. After a cashier's third or fourth day, it all gets filtered out.

As a customer, I just want to buy whatever I have, and go home. Holding up a line of people out of paranoia or morality is just being an anchor on society.

One more thing! The more reveling information on a driver's license number is your home address. You are telling thieves where you live.

So do you also cover your license plate number, and alternate routes between work / home, just in case thieves are following you when you're driving?

The real irony here is our credit scores. Based solely on the two of us (our scores are fairly similar), if a cashier did manage to steal our identites, the joke would be on them. :rofl:

Edited by Mister T, 30 December 2006 - 07:18 AM.

#27 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 07:59 AM

I prefer they ask for I.D

Saturday Night Live - Target Store Skit: ID required!

Target Cashier: "Debit?"
Customer: "Credit."
Target Cashier: "May I see your driver's license?"
Customer gives cashier driver's license.
Target Cashier: "It's a match."

All of this done like it is the regular everyday routine! This is outrageous! Saturday Night Live is training consumers to be idiots! Everybody call Saturday Night Live and set them straight.

And immediately call 1-800-VISA-911 if anyone ever does this to you in real life.

No ID for credit card purchases ever!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Edited by GEORGE, 30 December 2006 - 08:00 AM.

#28 olderbudwizer

olderbudwizer
  • Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 09:37 AM

the iceblulady works for the store, not for the cc company. it's not her job to 'protect' the credit card bank. sorry about your fraud concern, but those 'losses' are supposed to be covered in your everyday product pricing and your store's insurance. No one ever guaranteed your store's owners a profit when running a business.

#29 Slice Stevens

Slice Stevens
  • Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 10:35 AM

As a consumer using a credit card I'm more worried about the cashier memorizing my driver's license and perpetuating some sort of fraud than I am about some one stealing my card and using it with out my knowledge.

Do you seriously think that a cashier is going to use his or her photographic memory to remember your information, when he or she probably has 10 paper checks in the till with a name, address, DL, and checking account number?

Merchants agree to the terms. If they don't like the terms or are concerned about their own personal liability they shouldn't accept credit cards. Signing the card and refusing to show ID is the best way to protect you from fraud.

Merchants agree to terms. The person making $6.75 at Wal-Mart didn't, and almost certainly doesn't care about any "education" passed on from a customer.

Although it has been well over a decade since I've been on that side of a cash register, I can tell you firsthand that people make up all sorts of insane laws and policies that don't exist. After a cashier's third or fourth day, it all gets filtered out.

As a customer, I just want to buy whatever I have, and go home. Holding up a line of people out of paranoia or morality is just being an anchor on society.

One more thing! The more reveling information on a driver's license number is your home address. You are telling thieves where you live.

So do you also cover your license plate number, and alternate routes between work / home, just in case thieves are following you when you're driving?

The real irony here is our credit scores. Based solely on the two of us (our scores are fairly similar), if a cashier did manage to steal our identites, the joke would be on them. :sorry:

Call me paranoid. I do monitor my surroundings when I'm driving. I also make sure no one is parked outside my home when I leave. There are only so many things within my control. I accept risk that I can't control. I try to avoid unnecessary problems by advocating procedures that are in place to protect consumers and most importantly my family. Arguing with a clerk is not necessary. If they want the ID I tell them I'm not showing it and they can either complete the transaction or I'll take my business somewhere else. It works most of the time.

#30 pryan67

pryan67

Mikey, the Life cereal kid

• Mod Squad
  • 49,118 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 10:58 AM

here's the thing...

Visa/MC FORBIDS merchants asking for ID.

If you want to show your ID, fine...go for it...

if you want to hand your wallet to a stranger on the street, more power to you

if you want to stick a fork in an electrical outlet, I won't stop you

but the merchant IS NOT allowed to ask for ID, and they can lose their ability to accept credit cards if they do so...

#31 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 02:12 PM

I am a CS manager for a furniture store

Which furniture store?

#32 iceblulady

iceblulady
  • Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 02:19 PM

Why so you can call and cause trouble...
uummm...no
Thank you and have a nice day :rofl:

#33 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 04:11 AM

A new Saturday Night Live Target Store Skit episode aired tonight. This time the cashier correctly compared the signatures and did not ask for ID. Glad to see Saturday Night Live got the message.

Immediately call 1-800-VISA-911 if any merchant ever asks for ID for a signed credit card purchase.

#34 macuser

macuser
  • Members
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:56 AM

The local post offices in this area USED to ask for ID, but when I politely refused and reminded them consumers were encouraged to call and report merchants who asked for ID in violation of their TOS, they changed their policy. They no longer ask for ID for CC purchases. They even took their sign down that indicated additional ID was req'd for CC purchases.

I do not show additional ID.

I do not stop to have my receipt or shopping bags inventoried when leaving wmart either. :dntknw:

#35 TheNewestGuy

TheNewestGuy
  • Members
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:56 AM

I thought the skit was not that funny.

Well yeah. It's SNL.

#36 Dub Side

Dub Side
  • Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 12:45 PM

I liked the ZUG link

I'm going to start signing credit terrorist and see what happens.

:swoon: :rofl: :rofl:

Peace :yu:

Edited by Dub Side, 04 February 2007 - 12:47 PM.

#37 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 02:30 AM

The local post offices in this area USED to ask for ID, but when I politely refused and reminded them consumers were encouraged to call and report merchants who asked for ID in violation of their TOS, they changed their policy. They no longer ask for ID for CC purchases. They even took their sign down that indicated additional ID was req'd for CC purchases.

I do not show additional ID.

I do not stop to have my receipt or shopping bags inventoried when leaving wmart either. :cry2:

That's wonderful! Thanks for taking the time to help make a difference!

#38 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 03:35 AM

A new Saturday Night Live Target Store Skit episode aired tonight. This time the cashier correctly compared the signatures and did not ask for ID. Glad to see Saturday Night Live got the message.

Immediately call 1-800-VISA-911 if any merchant ever asks for ID for a signed credit card purchase.

Yet another brand new Saturday Night Live Target Store skit episode aired this weekend. Thankfully, there was no ID garbage this time either. The customer paid with MasterCard and the transaction was authorized/approved/completed. :)

CREDIT CARD SIGNATURE IS ALL THE ID NEEDED

When you pay for merchandise with a Visa card, MasterCard, or American Express any store that accepts these cards should accept yours too, no questions asked. It's part of the deal that merchants agree to when they become participating members.

They must check your signature and the card - electronically or by telephone - to be sure it's valid. Once the answer comes up yes, they can go ahead and charge. They can't ask you for any further identification - not a license plate number, Social Security number, proof of address, phone number or picture ID.

Your personal ID isn't needed because Visa, MasterCard, and American Express all guarantee payment on cards that have been properly checked. If the issuer mistakenly authorizes a sale on a bad card, it should make good. MasterCard says that merchants receive instant settlement. The contract MasterCard merchants sign specifically prevents them from asking for personal ID.

Unfortunately, not all merchants play by the rules. Some, apparently, haven't read them.

WHAT YOU CAN DO

MasterCard wants to hear about merchants who break their rules. Send the name and address and an account of what happened to MasterCard WorldWide 2000 Purchase St. Purchase, NY 10577. The merchant's bank will get a stiff letter, ordering it to investigate and bring the offending store into line - or pay a $2,000 fine.

Visa enforces the same rules as MasterCard. "When we hear about a violation, we ask the bank that signed the merchant to get together with the merchant and see that the practice is stopped," Visa representative states. To report a merchant, send a letter to the bank that that issued your Visa card or call 1-800-VISA-911.

American Express also prohibits merchants from asking for IDs. "All a merchant is supposed to do is take an imprint, make sure the signature matches and swipe the card through the terminal, to get authorization."

#39 toopooor

toopooor
  • Members
  • 14,971 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:23 AM

I thought it was stupid... and didn't the ups guy walk out without paying for his stuff?

Actually, everything in the skit bordered on ridiculous (nosey cashier from hell)- so maybe they were saying that asking for id is ridiculous?

Edited by toopooor, 02 November 2008 - 09:24 AM.

#40 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:33 PM

Actually, everything in the skit bordered on ridiculous (nosey cashier from hell)- so maybe they were saying that asking for id is ridiculous?

Ridiculous indeed. Nosey cashier from hell indeed. Demanding ID is just about the most offensive and insulting violation the idiot cashier could do to a customer. You compare the signature on the back of the credit card with the signature on the receipt. ID should never be asked for at all. No one should ever be put through such nonsense.

Never show ID for signed credit card purchases.

No ID required for signed credit card purchases. Merchants cannot require ID.

If a merchant tries to require ID, immediately call 1-800-VISA-911 to ensure they never do again.

VISA: 1-800-VISA-911
MasterCard: 1-800-300-3069

Also easily report merchant violations online at:

http://www.mastercar...violations.html

Check the box that says "Merchant required ID"

Never show ID for signed credit card purchases.

No ID required for signed credit card purchases.

Make sure your community is 100% violation-free. :rofl:

#41 Uncle Leo

Uncle Leo
  • Bloggers
  • 8,699 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:44 PM

And MEN......BURN YOUR DRAFT CARDS!!!!!! WOMEN......TAKE YOUR BRAS OFF AND BURN THEM!!!!! FIGHT THE POWER!!!!!!!!!!

LOL, just kidding, even though i am fan women taking their bras off!

Quote of the Day. Even if it is almost two years old. :lol:

The reason that they are not to ask for id is because ID's can be forged signatures are a lot harder. ...

Ummm, no. Forging a signature is the easiest "security" measure to sidestep. Ask any middle-school kid in the office before school.

As to the original premise of the thread... :dntknw: I swear the OP has got to be a laugh-riot at parties. Double- :rolleyes:

#42 Credit Matters

Credit Matters

Bad Influence II

• Members
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:54 PM

And MEN......BURN YOUR DRAFT CARDS!!!!!! WOMEN......TAKE YOUR BRAS OFF AND BURN THEM!!!!! FIGHT THE POWER!!!!!!!!!!

LOL, just kidding, even though i am fan women taking their bras off!

Quote of the Day. Even if it is almost two years old. :lol:

The reason that they are not to ask for id is because ID's can be forged signatures are a lot harder. ...

Ummm, no. Forging a signature is the easiest "security" measure to sidestep. Ask any middle-school kid in the office before school.

As to the original premise of the thread... :dntknw: I swear the OP has got to be a laugh-riot at parties. Double- :rolleyes:

I'd pay a cover charge at the door to watch OP do standup.

#43 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:57 AM

here's the thing...

but the merchant IS NOT allowed to ask for ID, and they can lose their ability to accept credit cards if they do so...

To report, simply call 1-800-VISA-911, press zero twice, and ask to file an “incident report” regarding a merchant violation/merchant who required ID. Crooked merchants shape-up quickly to avoid suspension. Make sure your community is 100% violation-free. :mellow:

#44 Jen23514

Jen23514
  • Members
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:23 AM

here's the thing...

To report, simply call 1-800-VISA-911, press zero twice, and ask to file an “incident report” regarding a merchant violation/merchant who required ID. Crooked merchants shape-up quickly to avoid suspension. Make sure your community is 100% violation-free. :)

predictable

#45 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:54 AM

IF YOU FEEL SPECIAL BY SHOWING ID...GO FOR IT

#46 k9kreationz

k9kreationz
  • Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:58 AM

Can someone clarify something for me, since I swear I read this on the Visa/MC site, but then see these lovely threads....

isn't California exempt from the Visa/MC of "no ID required, and it's against the rules to ask"?

Which means, in CA, they CAN legally ask for ID.

is that correct?

#47 JR321

JR321
  • Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:01 PM

here's the thing...

How about a Pet Store Clerk swiping my girl friends Visa card and then asked for picture id. When my GF refused the clerk refused her purchase and she had to walk out without anything.

Next months statement the Pet Store charged the purchase and no refund.

Remember once the card is swiped and approved the purchase is complete!!!! and the merchant has their money. Why would you go through an unnecessary step in checking id. It is all after the fact the merchant has been paid already!!!!!!!

Edited by JR321, 03 November 2008 - 12:26 PM.

#48 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:04 PM

here's the thing...

How about a Pet Store Clerk swiping my girl friends Visa card and then asked for picture id. When my GF refused the clerk refused her purchase and she had to walk out without anything.

Next months statement the Pet Store charged the purchase and no refund.

Remember once the card is swiped and approved the purchase is complete!!!! and the merchant has their money. Why would you go through an unnecessary step in checking id. It is all after the fact the the merchant has been paid already!!!!!!!

You MUST make sure the sale is VOIDED by management before leaving the register
(even if you hold up the line for 10 minutes)

Edited by GEORGE, 03 November 2008 - 12:05 PM.

#49 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:08 PM

Can someone clarify something for me, since I swear I read this on the Visa/MC site, but then see these lovely threads....

isn't California exempt from the Visa/MC of "no ID required, and it's against the rules to ask"?

Which means, in CA, they CAN legally ask for ID.

is that correct?

THEY "CAN" ASK TILL THE COWS COME HOME...when I say NO...they get to back off or THEY are in violation

Edited by GEORGE, 03 November 2008 - 12:10 PM.

#50 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:16 PM

The California law has no effect on the Visa/MC rules which prohibit merchants from requiring ID. All the law means is the state itself does not stand in the way of ID checks. Merchants are free to enter into contracts with Visa/MC that are more restrictive. Merchants cannot make ID a condition of acceptance. Report violation (if any) as usual to Visa/MC and the nonsense will stop.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.