Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Dont' do this! ( biggest mistakes in credit repair)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
68 replies to this topic

#51 Havok

Havok
  • Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 12:04 PM

Perhaps there is another thing....something you SHOULD do. Budget!

#52 DeconstructingCredit

DeconstructingCredit
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 08:21 AM

SOL refers the state Statute Of Limitations. This time period is the time that a debt holder has to bring suite for an unpaid debt. It is determined by state law and is not to be confused with the reporting period for accounts on credit reports. That time, which is often 7 years, is articulated by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) which is federal law.

This may some stupid questions, but I followed the links to the state SOLs and was wondering under which of these my accounts fall under?

open accounts (5 yrs.): are these credit cards? unsecured debt?
Promissory Notes (15 yrs.): are these like mortgages or loans???
Written (15 yrs.): would these be judgments, or contracts??

Where would medical bills fall under?

thanks for any information!
:D

#53 bad jane

bad jane
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 08:43 AM

credit cards are always open accounts, i'm not sure about the others. i know medical bills are tricky though--it depends on the state. sometimes they are open accounts and sometimes they are covered under the ucc (i believe the generic rule of thumb is that if the ucc for your state includes services, medical debts are covered under the ucc). might try doing a search or asking in the credit forum for more info :D

#54 badcredit goodperson

badcredit goodperson
  • Members
  • 861 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 06:57 PM

Adding this "DO NOT DO THIS"

Do not dispute a Negative TL that's reporting positively by saying" Well this CRA is reporting it correctly, your NOT!" The CRAs share ALL negative information- If it was incorrectly Positive It WILL be corrected!

If by chance it's a Positive reporting as a Negative-they won't change it don't worry. :roll:

#55 Mordrek

Mordrek
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 07:56 PM

The Idea behind an 800# is that the company you are calling is paying the service charges for your call to them. Since rates for the call very according to your location, the phone company has to report your number to the company paying the bill. For that reason no caller id block will ever work when calling any 800#.

Sorry, spent too many year working for a phone company. :shock:

#56 johncl

johncl
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 07:42 AM

JC

#57 Damos

Damos
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 07:34 PM

can someone explain the difference between a blanket C&D and a limited C&D? Also, when would you use either? Alot of information I have seen never makes this distinction. The usual advice is to send all CA's a C&D.

#58 Roland99

Roland99
  • Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 09:55 AM

Well, I did a big boo-boo a couple of weeks ago. I disputed a collection to Equifax as IIB.

<--- smacking self in the head

#59 pryan67

pryan67

Mikey, the Life cereal kid

• Mod Squad
  • 49,118 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 09:57 AM

Well, I did a big boo-boo a couple of weeks ago. I disputed a collection to Equifax as IIB.

<--- smacking self in the head

I've done that myself...and now it's tougher to get them deleted...however, I have had SOME luck...

#60 pryan67

pryan67

Mikey, the Life cereal kid

• Mod Squad
  • 49,118 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 09:58 AM

can someone explain the difference between a blanket C&D and a limited C&D? Also, when would you use either? Alot of information I have seen never makes this distinction. The usual advice is to send all CA's a C&D.

a blanket C&D says do not contact you in ANY way, shape, or form...this should ONLY be used if it's out of SOL...

a limited C&D says to only contact you by US Mail...

#61 chrisndelray

chrisndelray
  • Members
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:15 PM

Sending your BK paperwork to CRA's.

However, I got lucky. I sent my paperwork to EQ because it wasnt showing on their file. I sent it via regular first class mail about 3 months ago, and they never added it!!!!

As of today, my BK has never shown up on EQ. (thank God!!!) :lol:

I did that before I found these boards, I know better than to do that now!

#62 skoosh

skoosh
  • Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 07:45 PM

SOL refers the state Statute Of Limitations. This time period is the time that a debt holder has to bring suite for an unpaid debt. It is determined by state law and is not to be confused with the reporting period for accounts on credit reports. That time, which is often 7 years, is articulated by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) which is federal law.

http://www.nolo.com/...9F7A06B61F9CEF5

http://community-2.w.../WhyChatsCredit

http://www.cardrepor...imitations.html

Note that there are separate SOL's for judgments:http://www.cardrepor...gement-sol.html

Thank you! This was exactly what I needed. :(

#63 Alex

Alex
  • Members
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 09:13 PM

Thanks!
Posted Image

#64 moneyelf2

moneyelf2
  • Members
  • 682 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 02:42 AM

If a CA does not have your home phone number, do not call them from your home phone, use a pay phone - they can capture the number you call from.

here's a little secret to thwart caller id.

dial *67 before you dial the number. that blocks your number and prevents *69
(yes, i admit it. i used to quite often when i was a teenager. shhhh) :wink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"They" definitely have programs they can buy to render *67 useless.
Many creditors pay for such service, including but not limited to:

some banks
credit card co's
auto creditors
some mortgage brokers
and probably the credit bureaus....

So pay phones or (if you are rich) a cellphone you can get under an alias that you can sell or give away after a few needed credit repair uses are best. Maybe get a cell phone (paid for in cash) and then buy prepaid cell phone service like a Verizon prepaid cell phone card (paid for in cash) under an alias (that pesky caller id) if they require a name be given to them.

#65 chrisf12

chrisf12
  • Newbies
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 12:18 AM

Here is another one for the phone topic. http://www.camophone.com/

#66 atlbizmom

atlbizmom
  • Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 07:02 PM

If a CA does not have your home phone number, do not call them from your home phone, use a pay phone - they can capture the number you call from.

here's a little secret to thwart caller id.

dial *67 before you dial the number. that blocks your number and prevents *69
(yes, i admit it. i used to quite often when i was a teenager. shhhh) :wink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is not true as collection agency has filters that still provides the number you're calling from. They use the same system the phone co use. For instance, call your local or long distance carrier and press *67 before dialing the phone number it will still pick up the actual number you are calling from. I worked in the collections/skip tracing industry for 7 years and am certain the best way to prevent a CA from capturing the number you are calling from is by using a payphone.

#67 Hamoth

Hamoth
  • Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 04:34 PM

I would like to submit to the "biggest mistakes" that one should not, unless absolutely necessary, get the free report granted by the FACT amendments to the FCRA. I have found that this opens the door to numerous problems with Equifax who it seems has no understanding of the law whatsoever. In my case, EQ is using the fact that I aquired a free report from them to permanently make all my credit investigations lapse into the 45 day (instead of the 30 day period) using a fuzzy legal technicality which wont hold up in court. This means that in order to get them to comply, I may be forced to take them to court. All because I ordered a free report. I therefore tell people that I think these free reports are a legal pandoras box.

If you can afford to pay each of the big 3 their 9.50 for the individual reports, I would suggest that you do so.

On another note entirely, be careful when ordering your experian report. Experian has a fake report that they offer as if it is their own. If it looks like one of those 3-in-1 reports with the other two agencies info blacked out, then it is NOT the correct report. You will still see the experian logo and everything, but this is not an official experian report. Try to get a report preview and see if it looks legitimate. Only a report with a refference number, or report number, is acceptible.

#68 SassyinAz

SassyinAz

On top of Mt. Olympus

• Members
  • 9,353 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 03:34 PM

Edward, everyone -- Ya'll need to post your specific questions in the credit forum.

This is a resource thread and not where the traffic is for answers or appropriate for discussion.

Here's a link to the main forums: http://creditboards....hp?showforum=29

Here's a link to the credit forum: http://creditboards....php?showforum=2

To post a new thread click on "new topic" -- button on the upper right.

To respond to any existing thread, click on either "fast reply" or "new reply" -- bottom right.

Sassy

#69 radi8

radi8
  • Admin
  • 27,292 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:29 AM

Hi gang, and welcome!
Please post credit questions here:
http://creditboards....php?showforum=2

This is a resource thread, not visited enough to get you proper answers.

Locking thread to prevent future accidental postings.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.