Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Dont' do this! ( biggest mistakes in credit repair)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
68 replies to this topic

#26 crofttk

crofttk
  • Members
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 08:32 AM

I thought I'd perform a morning confession and add a mistake to the collection here:

I had two different tradelines with Creditor X.

One was a revolving account from several years back notated as "Included In Bankruptcy".

The other was a spotless mortgage which was paid off recently.

Just guess which one I disputed 3 days ago as "not mine" and was initially thrilled to see had been deleted this morning.
:oops: :oops: :oops:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK THE ACCOUNT NUMBER !!!

Go ahead and laugh, but remember !

---------------------------------------------------------------------

#27 crackerjack

crackerjack
  • Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 06:19 PM

oops,
ignore everything i just said.
just use that technique to bother your neighbors at 3:00 in the morning. :lol:

Ummm, or when you are drunk and want to prank old BF or GF's at 3am... :oops:

#28 jmstephens

jmstephens
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 07:21 PM

What about the obvious?

Not sending any money to a credit repair agency?

#29 watts_da

watts_da
  • Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 09:28 AM

And most importantly when NCO/Marlin Financial calls tell them to go straight to &*#%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:twisted:

#30 Arveleg

Arveleg
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 02:25 PM

Good information here!

The above works when calling from a business but their number is a random depending on what line connects going outside the company.

#31 lippy

lippy
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 09:11 PM

Hi

I thought some people may find this useful. It may have already been posted before, I didn't look.

Buy a $5.00 phone card which requires you to call a 1-800 # to connect. The 1-800 will show on the CA number log, not your home #.

Make sure it works by "testing" on your Home to Cell phone first.

It has always worked for me fine.

The down side is you are probably paying for a "free"call, but ask yourself Is this call realy "free"? :roll: :D

#32 wowzer

wowzer
  • Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 08:22 PM

If a CA does not have your home phone number, do not call them from your home phone, use a pay phone - they can capture the number you call from.

here's a little secret to thwart caller id.

dial *67 before you dial the number. that blocks your number and prevents *69
(yes, i admit it. i used to quite often when i was a teenager. shhhh) :wink:

Note that this does not work if you are dialing an 800#, they'll still get your number.

#33 carstar

carstar
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 06:39 PM

- Don't sign anything sent to a CA. Signatures have a pesky way of jumping from one document to another.

- Pay attention to your state's SOL.

- Don't send a blanket C&D to a CA when the debt is still within that SOL. You then leave them no other choice but to sue you. A limited C&D is much more effective; leave them the option to write you. It will help build that papertrail, in addition.

- Don't assume that paying a collection will raise your score. Pay collections after you've negotiated for deletion of the CA tradeline.

#34 carstar

carstar
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 06:43 PM

Okay, regarding Pam's quote from above, what is an SOL and what are C&D's? I need to learn to speak the language before I can communicate very effectively, huh?

#35 TeeSharice

TeeSharice

ModSquad

• Mod Squad
  • 20,475 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 06:46 PM

Okay, regarding Pam's quote from above, what is an SOL and what are C&D's? I need to learn to speak the language before I can communicate very effectively, huh?

C & D= cease & Desist
SOL= Statute of Limitations

Here's something that may be a lil help:

http://creditboards....hp?showtopic=32

#36 Jennifer

Jennifer
  • Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 01:49 PM

Hi

I thought some people may find this useful. It may have already been posted before, I didn't look.

Buy a $5.00 phone card which requires you to call a 1-800 # to connect. The 1-800 will show on the CA number log, not your home #.

Make sure it works by "testing" on your Home to Cell phone first.

It has always worked for me fine.

The down side is you are probably paying for a "free"call, but ask yourself Is this call realy "free"? :roll: :lol:

Being in the Fire/EMS field, I have experience with county dispatch, and this calling card issue is in fact a reality. When someone dials into 911 for an emergency using a calling card, and most cell phones, the numbers come accross as comming from Texas or Illinoise! County Coordinators are trying to figure out how to properly do their reports in these situations because you caould be calling from the pay phone from right outside dispatch ^_^

#37 Alex

Alex
  • Members
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 02:00 PM

Calling cards are great for not leaving a trail back to your home phone number. The only problem is that you can't make a free call to a toll free number (800-) using a phone card. I think the way to do this is to set up a phone over the Internet account. Then the call might lead back to your IP address but not to your home phone number. To set up the service you might want to get a "throw away e-mail address first from a place like Hotmail ( http://www.hotmail.com ).

http://www.dialpad.com

http://www.net2phone.com

Being paranoid is just knowing to much!

#38 doubledteacher

doubledteacher
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 12:15 AM

Strange...I just tried it, and I got Doc's number too! :lol:

There is a box available, only for commercial clients at the present time, that will insert any number/name you want into the caller ID data.

Think of the Possibilities. Next call I make to Experian is gonna show
"Federal Trade Comission" or "US Supreme Court" Hahaha.

Once you "roam" with a cell phone, all bets are off for number recognition. Some carriers don't pass the data on through, others substitute some interconnecting number.

-Radi8

Ohhhh...That explains it! Had a call TODAY that said, "FREE TRIP" in the caller ID. Knew it was a wily CA...they must think we're even stupider than they are!

BTW, am new and enjoying the posts. Learned a ton from another forum, so am spreading my wings to further educate myself.

#39 sinobueno

sinobueno
  • Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 07:54 PM

Erik said:
"...the call might lead back to your IP address but not to your home phone number"

If someone can determine your IP address, exactly what information does that tell them? Name, address?

This thread highlights the importance of disguising your home number from collection agencies. Wouldn't it be equally important advice when calling CRA's, especially if you've painstakingly deleted your home address so you can dispute off baddies tied to your address, only to then place a call from your home number to a CRA to dispute said baddy, and the CRA sees your home number and ties it to the address you deleted? In fact, given this scenario, couldn't you inadvertantly verify a public record for them?

Of all the phone suggestions made previously, would everyone concur that using a cell phone is the easiest/safest/best method of communicating with CRA's/collection agencies?

#40 Alex

Alex
  • Members
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 08:27 PM

Maybe. Unless it's the FBI doing the looking an IP address is probably not going to point back to a home address. And even if it did, how does anyone know that you live there. You could be using someone else's computer.

Cell phones are good to. Of course a lot of people with trashed credit can't get a cell phone without a big cash deposit.

Does anybody know what the going deposit amount is for a cell phone under an anonymous or fake name? In other words for a name that does not have a social security number?

Both cell phone and Internet service providers have the addresses of whoever signed up for the service. Now with a cell phone one could use a PO or physical mail drop box address rather that their physical home address. But now we are into the area of paranoia relating to hiding from private investigator and the FBI rather than just debt collectors.

My original point that I was trying to make is that a home land line phone number is automatically linked to the address it is at. It's just a mater of finding the right database. If you get a new phone and get the number unpublished than change the number you may be all right. Unless someone has a contact in the phone company.

I had a Bell South repair guy out at my place to put in a new line one day and we got to talking. He assured me that his portable tester unit could spit out the address of every number in the system. Listed or un-listed.

#41 OhBoyOhBoy

OhBoyOhBoy
  • Members
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 09:01 PM

Cell phones are good to. Of course a lot of people with trashed credit can't get a cell phone without a big cash deposit.

Does anybody know what the going deposit amount is for a cell phone under an anonymous or fake name? In other words for a name that does not have a social security number?

Both cell phone and Internet service providers have the addresses of whoever signed up for the service. Now with a cell phone one could use a PO or physical mail drop box address rather that their physical home address. But now we are into the area of paranoia relating to hiding from private investigator and the FBI rather than just debt collectors.

My original point that I was trying to make is that a home land line phone number is automatically linked to the address it is at. It's just a mater of finding the right database. If you get a new phone and get the number unpublished than change the number you may be all right. Unless someone has a contact in the phone company.

Get a prepaid cell. No info available what-so-ever! (And alot cheaper!!) :D

#42 sinobueno

sinobueno
  • Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 11:27 AM

I like the pre-paid cell idea! If you call a toll free number from a cell phone, does it cost you minutes/money anyway, even though the number you're calling is toll free? I was put on hold 3 times with Equifax the other day, making the call about 15 minutes long, including hold time.

#43 Alex

Alex
  • Members
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 11:34 AM

Yes. If you are connected to a cell tower, much less actually making a call, you are burning your minutes.

I like the pre paid cell phone idea as well.

#44 OhBoyOhBoy

OhBoyOhBoy
  • Members
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 04:19 PM

Yeah for me!! Hope I helped. :D

#45 Elgee1

Elgee1
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 01:14 PM

Stumble on to this forum accidently hopefully it willed a blessing. I am a 30 year single Dad with awful credit. I want to be able to purchase a home and relaible vehicles. I have about $10,000 in debt. I need help with it. I am not sure how to go about doing so. Please any information will greatly be appreciated.

#46 snarf

snarf
  • Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 08:56 PM

[quote][quote="Pam
- Don't send a blanket C&D to a CA when the debt is still within that SOL. You then leave them no other choice but to sue you. A limited C&D is much more effective; leave them the option to write you. It will help build that papertrail, in addition.[/quote]

I may be a bit slow but,
What is a blanket C&D?
(i know it stands for cease and desist but what does that mean?)
How is it different from a limited C&D?
When are they helpful to send?

(C&D) not in the glossary. i dont think. .

#47 Elgee1

Elgee1
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 09:12 AM

What does SOL mean and where can I find this information? How is it useful?

#48 Elgee1

Elgee1
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 09:23 AM

I found the credit glossary as I read further down the line. Where will I find a states SOL information.

#49 Alex

Alex
  • Members
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 11:39 AM

SOL refers the state Statute Of Limitations. This time period is the time that a debt holder has to bring suite for an unpaid debt. It is determined by state law and is not to be confused with the reporting period for accounts on credit reports. That time, which is often 7 years, is articulated by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) which is federal law.

http://www.nolo.com/...9F7A06B61F9CEF5

http://whychat.5u.com/

http://www.cardrepor...imitations.html

Note that there are separate SOL's for judgments:
http://www.cardrepor...gement-sol.html

#50 Alex

Alex
  • Members
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 11:42 AM

deleted

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.