Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Credit 101- (very) basic introduction

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#51 Alex

Alex
  • Members
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 01:42 AM

Glad I could help.

#52 clambate

clambate
  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 05:29 PM

I don't know what it means also on my CR it has me with an IIB I've never done a bankruptcy and don't want to.....

#53 tjo_2003

tjo_2003
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 04:04 PM

Ok.. I'm trying to make sure I understand. I have ordered my reports. I will do the address thing.

So, just checkig to see if I am understanding.. once I do those things, and dispute a particular entry, the cc company has 30 days to prove, or not. If they do not respond, does that mean the debt is cancelled? That would be super...

#54 Alex

Alex
  • Members
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 12:49 PM

If you are new, welcome to the board. If you have general questions about credit, please post them in the Credit Forum here:
http://www.creditboa...ewforum.php?f=2

If you want to add information that should be part of the "Credit 101- (very) basic introduction" thread, then post it here in this thread.

#55 klgd

klgd
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 09:27 PM

In about 6 months I would like to purchase a neww house, but my credit sticks. I don't want to have to pay the highest interest rate. I have already sent a letter to the three CRAs by certified mail challenging my self and my husband's bad reports. What do I do next? I need help in a hurry.

#56 sewilo

sewilo
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 07:10 PM

:? I hope I'm doing this right....since I have gotten my divorce and found out that credit is very important now a days I am determined to learn about and clean up my credit. until now I did'nt know where to start or who to ask or how to read my report until now. I have only been here for an hour and I can now make some sense of my report. thank you. :idea:

#57 this1chick

this1chick
  • Members
  • 466 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 05:06 PM

hi all, i just joined today and am beginning my dispute process (i basically have 3 days to do this... well, 2, since the weekend doesn't count, and i am heading to europe on sunday).

i took the advice above and tried to "delete" old addresses... however, the rep told me that i couldn't delete any address to which mail had been sent, even if i never lived there and didn't see any of the bills!!

anyway, my main problem (that i REALLY need help with, please!! :lol:) is that i need to dispute a couple items this week because the WA state SOL is about to run out on me... my items in dispute were on 7/2001 and before.

how do i go about doing this? what's the best way to dispute a negative that i'm not sure what reason to put down? (i read something earlier about how you should dispute any and all negatives). the CRA always has a dropdown list from which you must choose a reason.

also, i was reading about disputes causing issues when seeking new credit - is this true? if i have an account in dispute, does this mean that my credit will go down or i will not be able to apply for a mortgage, which i am trying to do?

if there is a better forum to post this in, please clue me in.

#58 pryan67

pryan67

Mikey, the Life cereal kid

• Mod Squad
  • 49,118 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 09:03 AM

hi all, i just joined today and am beginning my dispute process (i basically have 3 days to do this... well, 2, since the weekend doesn't count, and i am heading to europe on sunday).

i took the advice above and tried to "delete" old addresses... however, the rep told me that i couldn't delete any address to which mail had been sent, even if i never lived there and didn't see any of the bills!!

anyway, my main problem (that i REALLY need help with, please!! :)) is that i need to dispute a couple items this week because the WA state SOL is about to run out on me... my items in dispute were on 7/2001 and before.

how do i go about doing this? what's the best way to dispute a negative that i'm not sure what reason to put down? (i read something earlier about how you should dispute any and all negatives). the CRA always has a dropdown list from which you must choose a reason.

also, i was reading about disputes causing issues when seeking new credit - is this true? if i have an account in dispute, does this mean that my credit will go down or i will not be able to apply for a mortgage, which i am trying to do?

if there is a better forum to post this in, please clue me in.

might want to post this on the credit forum....get more responses that way...

as for your questions, why are you worried about the SOL running out before you dispute? you want it to be run out ideally before disputing if you can...

as for disputes effecting credit, you probably read that on the CRA sites...it does NOT cause your credit score to drop....HOWEVER, sometimes if/when something is verified, they change the date, which makes it look more recent, therefore, can drop your score.

Always start disputes as "not mine" if you want items deleted...if you just want the lates taken off (but this is risky), you CAN dispute as "never late", however, then it's nearly impossible to dispute as "not mine" later

#59 sixerp

sixerp
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 02:05 AM

Thanks to credit 101 I am now heading in the right direction ,Thanks Breeze and everyone else that are giving sound advice.woo :shock:

#60 MsOmniscient

MsOmniscient
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 12:34 PM

Hi All,
A co-worker told me about this website. I am glad that I have joined but and OVERWHELMED by all this. I have all my credit reports and have disputed many. What does it mean to opt out & to remove addresses? Should I send a letter to the 3 credit bureaus and have them remove all my addresses except my current one? Is there a sample letter for this?

My co-worker who is also a member mentioned something about paying for deletion. I have a few accounts that I settled (I didn't know any better at the time) and many charge offs as well items that need to be paid. What can I do to have these items deleted? Is there sample letters and postings that address these issues?

Thanks in advance!!!

#61 breeze

breeze

Site Owners & FC XXXVIII <3

• Admin
  • 47,213 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 04:55 PM

Hi, Ms, welcome to the board.

To opt out, call 1-888-5OPT OUT

http://www.creditboa...ight=opt#364667

I'm not sure the current techniques being used re addresses (I finished my credit repair a few years ago).

Start your own thread -go to the main index page, click on the "credit" forum, and then click "new post" - introduce yourself again, and post all your questions. You'll get more help than you know what to do with. :)

#62 KewlKitti

KewlKitti
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 11:34 AM

just asking for clarification...

radi8 - you said in your first post on this thread (please take note of what i bolded)

*You do NOT have legal right to validation under the FDCPA when dealing with an original creditor. They may supply validation at their option, but are not required to do so. However, you do have the right under the FCRA to dispute directly with an original creditor any information reported that you feel is incorrect. This can be found in section 623. Once they have received your dispute, they must investigate the reported info and, they must also report the acct as disputed with the cra's.  

If you demand validation from a creditor who is already listing a derogatory tradeline on your credit report, they are required to note that account as "disputed by consumer" ( or similar language). They may NOT place a new listing, or verify a current listing with the CRA until they have provided you with validation.

in reading in another thread http://www.creditboa...&highlight=fcba lkh says this...(see again what i have bolded)

No. Nothing in the FCRA says they need to supply you with anything or even respond to you.  

If you notify an oc that you dispute an acct listing, they must report that the account is disputed by the consumer. Here is the section of the FCRA that applies.

so in essense, if i am understanding this correctly - the OC does not HAVE to verify with you, BUT if they DON'T verify with you then the account MUST remain IN DISPUTE (to which then you could write the cra and tell them that the data furnisher isn't giving you any verification of the debt so it MUST be removed)

am i understanding this correctly?

kitti

#63 SassyinAz

SassyinAz

On top of Mt. Olympus

• Members
  • 9,353 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 12:54 PM

just asking for clarification...

radi8 - you said in your first post on this thread (please take note of what i bolded)

*You do NOT have legal right to validation under the FDCPA when dealing with an original creditor. They may supply validation at their option, but are not required to do so. However, you do have the right under the FCRA to dispute directly with an original creditor any information reported that you feel is incorrect. This can be found in section 623. Once they have received your dispute, they must investigate the reported info and, they must also report the acct as disputed with the cra's.

Validation is strictly a FDCPA concept and it's a specific section in the FDCPA -- however, validation is evidence of debt.

It is required under the FDCPA which is only applicable to 3rd party collectors or they must cease collection.

Under the FCRA, section 623, you do have the right to request verification from creditors -- they must investigate but don't have to respond directly to you. They have to communicate that the information is disputed to the CRA, the CRA is then required to note that the information is disputed in all subsequent reports, but it falls under 623(a) of the FCRA which a consumer cannot sue to enforce -- the information must be inaccurate.

If you demand validation from a creditor who is already listing a derogatory tradeline on your credit report, they are required to note that account as "disputed by consumer" ( or similar language). They may NOT place a new listing, or verify a current listing with the CRA until they have provided you with validation.

That is specific to validation under the FDCPA.

in reading in another thread http://www.creditboa...&highlight=fcba lkh says this...(see again what i have bolded)

No. Nothing in the FCRA says they need to supply you with anything or even respond to you.

If you notify an oc that you dispute an acct listing, they must report that the account is disputed by the consumer. Here is the section of the FCRA that applies.

so in essense, if i am understanding this correctly - the OC does not HAVE to verify with you, BUT if they DON'T verify with you then the account MUST remain IN DISPUTE (to which then you could write the cra and tell them that the data furnisher isn't giving you any verification of the debt so it MUST be removed)

am i understanding this correctly?

kitti

You could tell the CRA that you have requested verification from the OC and they won't provide it, it doesn't mean they have to delete it though.

This thread will help you understand requesting verification from OC's versus validation from CA's:
http://www.creditboa...der=asc&start=0

The biggest difference is under the FDCPA validation must be provided or collection must cease.

Under the FCRA, once disputed (whether you request verification or not) an investigation must be completed and the information must be updated or removed -- a consumer has a cause of action to sue to enforce section 623(:D, the information must be inaccurate though and the OC never has to respond to you at all if they don't chose to.

So both of those seemingly contradictory statements are correct, it's just the wording that is throwing you off. Validation/verification are frequently used interchangeably, but they are 2 different things under 2 different laws.

Sassy

EDITED to add these threads on the difference between validation/ verification:

Verification and Validation explanation: http://www.creditboa...tion validation

http://www.creditboa...t=sassy concise

#64 KewlKitti

KewlKitti
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 02:55 PM

awesome information sassy, thanks for the clarity

links are saved for future reference

kitti

#65 What_have_I_done

What_have_I_done
  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 02:41 PM

I'm starting fresh, from step 1 in repairing my report and god knows its gonna take alot of work, that I'm ready to proceed with. I've been online approximately 7 hours today, reading , printing and taking notes. I'm starting with the 3 cra's in removing old addresses and old employers from my credit report. I've lived at my current residence for 7 years and i've been employed at my current place of employment for 13 years. I have the address for trans union, and equifax, but for the life of me I can not find an address to write experian, they only give instructions for disputing online. I know it's out thereI jsut can not find it. To cut through all the hours of searching can someone please supply me with the correct address of experian so I can move onto my next step.
I am so happy i stumbled upon this site

#66 SassyinAz

SassyinAz

On top of Mt. Olympus

• Members
  • 9,353 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 03:12 PM

There's presently an active thread on the same, so I'm betting it is the most current information, reads to be anyway -- Exp is hard to keep up with:

http://www.creditboa...pic.php?t=55522

Sassy

#67 What_have_I_done

What_have_I_done
  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 03:20 PM

Thank You Sassy I'm there

#68 taburner

taburner
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 06:40 PM

Hi, I was referred to this great board from someone on another list i'm on and i'm totally lost!!! I have stuff on my credit reports from as far back as 1989!!!!!!!!!!! and originally I was told some collection co's and other people "bought" my debt and that's why it was still on there... but someone else says NO WAY and that all this stuff should've been OFF my report LONG ago!!! I have nothing bad since around 1996 so even THAT all should be off my report but it's not...sooooo i'm lost on where to even start?? do i need to order my credit reports from the 3 places if my brother can run my credit for me since he's a mortgage broker?? and well i've spent hours reading on here and am still confused?? and I REALLY need to get all this taken care of.. help!!?? and thanx!!!!
Tara

#69 What_have_I_done

What_have_I_done
  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 07:02 PM

Taburner I am a newbie myself, but I suggest that you order all 3 separate reports from each CRA. this way when you start to dispute TL's on your report you will have the exact Account numbers and reference numbers to dispute with. Also some of the CRA's do require a reference or confirmation number to ensue a dispute. Good luck like I mention I am a newbie on this board also, But if there's anything I can help you with I will try. The people on this board are great, with aiding one another

#70 Kelly

Kelly
  • Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 11:51 AM

I have read the very first post on the thread but was wondering if someone could shed light on the term "Date Opened" on a credit report. Under a trade line for a collection agency does this term refer to the date it was opened by the CA or does it refer to the date opened by the original creditor.

#71 sara81

sara81
  • Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 03:37 PM

OK, I'm really sorry if this information was explained in the newbie section, (i did read it) but I still don't understand most of it!

Me: Credit score is 517 :oops: I really messed up in college...now I'm about $7000 in debt. And I wasn't making payments for a really long time, and up until the end of September, when I was able to begin making payments, almost every account was scheduled to be written off.
However, I graduated in may and now have a job that I started in September. So now I'm working on paying off everything. From what I understand, I shouldn't pay everything off at once but in repetitive incriments that will eventually pass as predictable to FICO.

I want to clean my credit up as quickly as possible!!! I still don't really know how to start. Any advice would be fantastic and I know there's already tons available to me on the board (but most of the time I only have internet at work, so it's hard to spend a lot of time reading through posts!)

People have posted about having old addresses removed from their credit reports. What is the importance of doing this and how do I do it?

What does Opting Out mean? Should I do it? How do I do it?

How soon does it show up that I'm making payments? How soon will my score begin to go up if I'm making steady payments every two weeks or so?

I have a few credit accounts that are current, but I haven't used in a few years, should I request new cards (because they've expired by now) and use them for small purchases that I can pay off. Will that help my credit? Will I even be eligible for new cards because my score's low even though the accounts haven't been closed?

OK thanks in advance for any responses!!! :D

#72 albernier

albernier
  • Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 07:11 AM

Hi all,

Im so glad I found this site. Ive learned so much already. Here is my deal. I am still waiting for my EQ to come in the mail but the last one I recieved was in January. I have about 16 charge offs and one fiurniture store account that is paid as agreed never late. One car repo. I have a judgement that fell off in June but its still valid. Due to not paying the judgement my license has been suspended for the last 5 yrs. Due to not having a license the car went back not to mention it was a lemonTo make a long story short. I made arrangements to get the license back by agreeing to pay $1,000 down and $300/mo. Everyone tells me I should just file BK and be done with it. The judgement is for 25K (this includes interest) the actual judgment was for 11K. Since this is off my credit do I actually want to file? or do I want to work with the one positive account and try to get some more while doing the steps listed in this area to see what I can get removed. I had an old providian account that Alegis offered me a card to transfer the debt to so I now have a Visa with a 1730 CL (no available credit of course). I went with a friend to a car dealer when she brought her car last month and they ran my credit just to let me know where I stand and my beacon score was a 508. Is there any advice anyone can offer regarding:
1. should I go ahead and file bk and start over.
2. rebuild with the new visa and work on the rest with the steps i learned here?
3. Now that Im paying on the judgement can they put it back on my credit? it was filed in 1997
thanks in advance

#73 albernier

albernier
  • Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 08:41 AM

bump. trying to get to first page

#74 Kelly

Kelly
  • Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 09:22 AM

Hi albernier. You should probally copy and paste your post to the credit forum. There are a lot of people over their that might be able to answer you.

#75 albernier

albernier
  • Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 09:25 AM

thanks, will do

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.