Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Debt Snowball spreadsheets

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 radi8

radi8
  • Admin
  • 27,292 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 04:11 PM

http://www.geocities...y/Snowball.html

Very nice collection of Excel spreadsheets for planning a debt snowball.

The "Auto" spreadsheets allow you to type in your balances and interest rates and will automatically calculate which order to pay the debts in.

Attached Files

#2 Jen23514

Jen23514
  • Members
  • 12,565 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:13 PM

thank you :clapping:

#3 Kwak

Kwak
  • Newbies
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:28 AM

Thank you. Very useful!

#4 brazen

brazen

Thing Two

• Forum Leads
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 09:41 PM

Awesome radi8, great resource!

#5 Erica

Erica
  • Members
  • 875 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:38 AM

I'm trying the Snowball spreadsheet that is in the link above, and I can't get any of the macros to work, no matter what I do. It's frustrating.

#6 radi8

radi8
  • Admin
  • 27,292 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:44 PM

I'm trying the Snowball spreadsheet that is in the link above, and I can't get any of the macros to work, no matter what I do. It's frustrating.

Do you have macros disabled in Excel? If you do the spreadsheets won't work.

#7 angeleyeskkhr

angeleyeskkhr
  • Members
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 11:43 AM

Do you have macros disabled in Excel? If you do the spreadsheets won't work.

How do you enable them? I don't think I disabled them but I may have as the spreadsheets don't work for me either. And I'm not longer asked if I want them disabled or not. :yahoo:

#8 landshark

landshark
  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 12:07 PM

Yes I had to disable them to get it to work. Now whenever I open the program it asks to disable them. It works just fine as long as that is disabled. Now that I have figured it out it works great. IF I can help more let me know.

#9 angeleyeskkhr

angeleyeskkhr
  • Members
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 04:12 PM

Yes I had to disable them to get it to work. Now whenever I open the program it asks to disable them. It works just fine as long as that is disabled. Now that I have figured it out it works great. IF I can help more let me know.

Mine does not ask that info... :aggressive: Oh well, I guess I don't need to use it. :aggressive:

#10 Erica

Erica
  • Members
  • 875 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 04:16 PM

Mine does not ask that info... :aggressive: Oh well, I guess I don't need to use it. :aggressive:

Try the one I posted, it's not an online spreadsheet, and you can save as many as you'd like. :aggressive:

#11 Uncle Leo

Uncle Leo
  • Bloggers
  • 8,701 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:42 PM

The instructions for this spreadsheet suck, and it's not naturally intuitive, but once I finally figured it out it was great.

#12 Forget_the_Odds

Forget_the_Odds
  • Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:38 PM

I don't think this works with Excel 07. I get some message about VBA converters.

#13 minnie aubre

minnie aubre
  • Members
  • 5,384 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 06:14 PM

I don't think this works with Excel 07. I get some message about VBA converters.

I got that, too.

#14 minnie aubre

minnie aubre
  • Members
  • 5,384 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:31 PM

I got that, too.

I clicked ok for the error messages, and it actually seems to work fine for 2007.

#15 driggers

driggers
  • Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:28 AM

I can't figure out how to add more months. I am by no means an expert at Excel, but I would definately think I know more than the average person. Any tips on how to add additional months/years that way I can tell how long the snowball will take and my current financial situation.

#16 sunwhipped

sunwhipped
  • Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:09 PM

I can't figure out how to add more months. I am by no means an expert at Excel, but I would definately think I know more than the average person. Any tips on how to add additional months/years that way I can tell how long the snowball will take and my current financial situation.

I just copied it down with formulas and formats. I just today figured out how to get my payments to amortize on each credit card. You just click create rows. After that brought all my credit cards down I felt like such a dope..lol

#17 sunwhipped

sunwhipped
  • Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:39 PM

I just copied it down with formulas and formats. I just today figured out how to get my payments to amortize on each credit card. You just click create rows. After that brought all my credit cards down I felt like such a dope..lol

I've been playing with this all afternoon and I finally figured it out!

If you put in the years you want to snowball and click add rows. It adds everything you need. geesh..that was so hard to figure out..lol

#18 driggers

driggers
  • Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 06:22 PM

Yeah I finally got it all to work myself. I guess I just assumed it would figure out how long it would take to bring the debts to zero.

For those of you that can't quite figure it out, if you have more than 2 cards to Snowball then you must highlight one of the cards and paste it into new cells, do this for as many cards as you have.

The other thing you must do is change years in plan to at least 5 (depending on how long it will take) and then click Create Rows. If you want to tidy up the spreadsheet after that, you can see where your balance equals zero and count the number of years and months and put that in for years in plan and click Create Rows again.

Hope that helps!

Great spreadsheet by the way. Just some constructive criticism if there ever happens to be another version.

1. Better instructions
2. An option to choose how long you want to be in the Snowball plan then give you what the minimum payment would have to be.
3. Lastly, an option to choose whether you want to pay it by lowest balance or highest interest rate as I know mentally the lowest balance can help a lot. (Although you can rearrange the snowballs in any order you so choose)

#19 sunwhipped

sunwhipped
  • Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:46 AM

Yeah I finally got it all to work myself. I guess I just assumed it would figure out how long it would take to bring the debts to zero.

For those of you that can't quite figure it out, if you have more than 2 cards to Snowball then you must highlight one of the cards and paste it into new cells, do this for as many cards as you have.

Actually you don't need to copy anything. You put in the number of years you want to be on the plan, change the month and year you want to start, put in how much you can contriubute, click create rows and it will do it for you.

To get it to figure out the number of years for you just put in a large number of years and it will add those number of years but if the debt is paid off earlier the remaining numbers will be zero.

Edited by sunwhipped, 14 June 2007 - 05:48 AM.

#20 stefer1215

stefer1215
  • Members
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:40 AM

great spreadsheet thanks! :)

#21 Acrosteve

Acrosteve
  • Newbies
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 07:29 PM

I am just starting to work up my spreadsheet, but I don't have any teaser rates, so my snowball order is pretty straightforward. Is there a way to factor in multiple interest rates on the same card?

I have one card that currently has a $6,644 balance. $5,914 is at 1.99 fixed and $795 at 10.52 variable. However, the lower interest rate balance is being paid off 1st. Aren't cc companies great. :D

#22 heidiroo

heidiroo
  • Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:57 PM

Ugh, I went through all of the trouble to get all of my thousands of cc's information in there, set it to 5 years and clikc on "create rows" and it gave me a damn error about macros. And being as I have office 2007, I have no idea how to confirm they're turned on . . . grrr!

#23 JohnP

JohnP
  • Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 09:06 AM

Ugh, I went through all of the trouble to get all of my thousands of cc's information in there, set it to 5 years and clikc on "create rows" and it gave me a damn error about macros. And being as I have office 2007, I have no idea how to confirm they're turned on . . . grrr!

It is crazy hidden. Follow these steps:
File (I still call it file - but the nice big marble in top left) --> Excel Options (Lower right corner)
Trust Center --> Trust Center Settings --> Macro Settings --> Disable All Macros With Notification

Now, when you open the document it will prompt you just between the workbook and the Ribbon that Macros are disabled and should give you an option to Enable them.

Hope that works for you!

#24 Dovie1920

Dovie1920
  • Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:00 PM

i dont think that i will be able to use this... it looks complicated and intimidating when you look at it.. i am not someone that is very familiar with Excel and such... is there a version for dummies????

#25 BlackWater

BlackWater
  • Members
  • 597 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:45 PM

Hey gang, I've had this for awhile and I figured I'd help my CB friends. I've designed a excel monthly budget spreadsheet that might be able to help you keep track of your bills. It was designed in Excel 2007 but I have saved a copy in Excel 2003, just not sure if it will work with the features I have in it.

Some of the features;
1. Allows you to enter all your bills a month
2. Colums for Payee, Amount, Due Date, Payoff, etc.
3. Shows money left over after all bills are paid (comes from entering your monthly gross income)

It has helped me, so hopefully it will help some of you all.

I'll attach both 2007, and 2003. If anyone is interested let me know.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.