Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Strange experience when I used my CC the other day

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#1 Nostromo

Nostromo
  • Members
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 12:29 AM

Well, I don't know what to think. Part of me wonders if this was something totally innocuous for which there is a simple explanation. Part of me wonders if it was something more.

On Friday April 28th, I was on my last day of a 7 day trip to Oregon. That afternoon, I stopped into a Dairy Queen in a small town on the coast. Between myself, parents, and people travelling with us, there was always someone who'd wanted some ice cream by the end of the day, and this was my 6th daily stop into DQ's in the area. Each time, I was the one to go in and order while everyone else waited in the car. Each time, I used the same CC to pay.

So I walked in and ordered a blizzard. Grand total: $1.99. The place was completely empy of patrons, except for two older men who came in behind me. When I pulled out my CC, the woman looked it over, then asked to see my ID.

For a split second, I was a little surprised, since I'd never been ID'd at any other DQ's in the area. However, I always appreciate it when someone does ask to see ID and gladly obliged.

A few minutes went by while they made my order, and during that time, the two older men placed their order. They were probably in their late 60's early 70's. Their total came to $18.54, at which time one of the men pulled out a CC. It was a grey card that said "US Bank Platinum".

The cashier took the card and ran it -- without asking to see ID. And that is what's bothered me ever since.

Ever since then, I kept telling myself that she probably knew them. This was a small town afterall. However, every time I think back to their conversation, I don't remember any sort of familiarity between the patrons and cashier.

On the other side of the coin, I'm wondering if a black man with a credit card could have sent off a red flag to the cashier in question.

So now I'm torn. Was going to chalk the whole thing up to perhaps a simple misunderstanding on my part. But now I think I might write a polite letter to the store manager. Explain to them what happened and tell them if it was a simple misunderstanding, they have my apologies. However, if it was perhaps something more, it would be a good idea for the store to enforce whatever CC ID policies they may have, to all patrons.

Anyway thanks for letting me vent.

#2 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 12:34 AM

Well, I don't know what to think. Part of me wonders if this was something totally innocuous for which there is a simple explanation. Part of me wonders if it was something more.

On Friday April 28th, I was on my last day of a 7 day trip to Oregon. That afternoon, I stopped into a Dairy Queen in a small town on the coast. Between myself, parents, and people travelling with us, there was always someone who'd wanted some ice cream by the end of the day, and this was my 6th daily stop into DQ's in the area. Each time, I was the one to go in and order while everyone else waited in the car. Each time, I used the same CC to pay.

So I walked in and ordered a blizzard. Grand total: $1.99. The place was completely empy of patrons, except for two older men who came in behind me. When I pulled out my CC, the woman looked it over, then asked to see my ID.

For a split second, I was a little surprised, since I'd never been ID'd at any other DQ's in the area. However, I always appreciate it when someone does ask to see ID and gladly obliged.

A few minutes went by while they made my order, and during that time, the two older men placed their order. They were probably in their late 60's early 70's. Their total came to $18.54, at which time one of the men pulled out a CC. It was a grey card that said "US Bank Platinum".

The cashier took the card and ran it -- without asking to see ID. And that is what's bothered me ever since.

Ever since then, I kept telling myself that she probably knew them. This was a small town afterall. However, every time I think back to their conversation, I don't remember any sort of familiarity between the patrons and cashier.

On the other side of the coin, I'm wondering if a black man with a credit card could have sent off a red flag to the cashier in question.

So now I'm torn. Was going to chalk the whole thing up to perhaps a simple misunderstanding on my part. But now I think I might write a polite letter to the store manager. Explain to them what happened and tell them if it was a simple misunderstanding, they have my apologies. However, if it was perhaps something more, it would be a good idea for the store to enforce whatever CC ID policies they may have, to all patrons.

NO MINIMUM PURCHASE

NO MAXIMUM PURCHASE

NO ID FOR SIGNED CREDIT CARDS

NO FEE TO USE A CREDIT CARD

#3 ammorgan

ammorgan
  • Members
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 12:35 AM

NO MINIMUM PURCHASE

NO MAXIMUM PURCHASE

NO ID FOR SIGNED CREDIT CARDS

NO FEE TO USE A CREDIT CARD

Yep they violated the credit card companies policy by asking for ID

#4 ouray

ouray
  • Members
  • 3,721 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 12:36 AM

Maybe there was an APB about this kid who buys blizzard with stolen CC
j/k

Merchants not supposed to see your ID if you use visa/MC that what the contracts says.
You could have refused to show the ID ( and walked with the blizzard). YOu could complain to VISA about it

#5 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 12:38 AM

JUST SAY NO TO ID WHEN ASKED

#6 mtheoryx

mtheoryx
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 12:56 AM

Is this really a policy? When I worked at Circuit City, we were required to see ID from everyone, regardless of whether the card was signed or not. Never once had any complaint, and had many thanks. Even earned a couple monetary rewards in my time there by stopping theft by checking ID and catching a fraudulent transaction (all three times the card was signed.)

So, if it is a policy of MC/Visa to not have to show ID, why do so many retailers specifically require it?

#7 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 12:57 AM

Is this really a policy? When I worked at Circuit City, we were required to see ID from everyone, regardless of whether the card was signed or not. Never once had any complaint, and had many thanks. Even earned a couple monetary rewards in my time there by stopping theft by checking ID and catching a fraudulent transaction (all three times the card was signed.)

So, if it is a policy of MC/Visa to not have to show ID, why do so many retailers specifically require it?

CREDIT CARD POLICY SAYS YOU DON'T NEED TO

THEY DON'T KNOW ANY BETTER

YMMV

Edited by GEORGE, 01 May 2006 - 01:16 AM.

#8 ammorgan

ammorgan
  • Members
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 12:59 AM

CREDIT CARD POLICY

From what I know they CANNOT ask you for ID on a SIGNED MC/Visa card. If they ask say NO

#9 BBQ123

BBQ123
  • Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 12:59 AM

Moderator: Please move this to the right sub-forum.

mtheoryx: Whoever your manager was should have been fired. Circuit City could have been fined for violating the Visa/MC policy. Retailers who don't know the rules ask for ID because they think it helps protect and make their customers happy or something.

If the woman looked over your card she should have seen that it was signed and not requested ID.

One of the reasons the Visa/MC/AmEx policy against requiring ID is there is because it helps limit discrimination (like asking all men for ID, but not women, or asking people of color for ID only, etc)

#10 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 01:01 AM

Moderator: Please move this to the right sub-forum.

mtheoryx: Whoever your manager was should have been fired. Circuit City could have been fined for violating the Visa/MC policy. Retailers who don't know the rules ask for ID because they think it helps protect and make their customers happy or something.

If the woman looked over your card she should have seen that it was signed and not requested ID.

One of the reasons the Visa/MC/AmEx policy against requiring ID is there is because it helps limit discrimination (like asking all men for ID, but not women, or asking people of color for ID only, etc)

THEY ARE PLAYING TO THE UNINFORMED SHEEP TO APPEASE THEM

#11 mtheoryx

mtheoryx
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 01:02 AM

So, if a woman hands me a signed credit card that has a mans name on it, Im not to ask to see ID? Or rather, she can refuse to show ID? That doesnt seem right either.

#12 NoBull

NoBull
  • Members
  • 16,320 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 01:04 AM

Why didn't you say something THEN?

Sorry, but I don't have any respect for people who go against their instincts, and THEN complain about it. That certainly is not the way I operate.

I would have complained then and there, and demanded to speak to a manager.

#13 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 01:10 AM

So, if a woman hands me a signed credit card that has a mans name on it, Im not to ask to see ID? Or rather, she can refuse to show ID? That doesnt seem right either.

ASK HER TO PRODUCE ALTERNATE FORM OF PAYMENT

#14 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 01:14 AM

However, I always appreciate it when someone does ask to see ID and gladly obliged.

SO YOUR A SHEEP

BAHHH

BAHHH

BAHHH

#15 ammorgan

ammorgan
  • Members
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 01:19 AM

About the man with womans card and vice versa you have to keep in mind there are some names that are for both sexes. Like I always thought Taylor was a boys name, then there was a girl in my class with that name. Lindsey is another example.

#16 NoBull

NoBull
  • Members
  • 16,320 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 01:28 AM

About the man with womans card and vice versa you have to keep in mind there are some names that are for both sexes. Like I always thought Taylor was a boys name, then there was a girl in my class with that name. Lindsey is another example.

How about....

Posted Image

??????

#17 Rogue

Rogue
  • Members
  • 1,519 posts

JUST SAY NO TO ID WHEN ASKED

Thank you GEORGE! Yep, a valid signed card = NO ID!! I don't usually make an issue of this if my ID is requested, however, the last few times that this has happened to me, a manager was nearby and I did make a point of speaking directly with the manager.

In each instance I informed the manager that regardless of their internal CC acceptance policy, it is a direct VIOLATION of their merchant bankard agreement to request ID for a valid signed CC and that they could be reported.

Every single manager was shocked and surprised, however most were corporate lemmings just following internal policies without question. So we simply need to keep educating the world one lemming at a time!

AgentNos, I bet Dairy Queen has a corporate CC policy to always request ID and the cashier simply new the older "regulars" and did not request ID. But as NoBull mentioned, you should have raised the issue at the time. You can always write to Dairy Queen corporate and ask for a written response regarding their CC acceptance policies.

#18 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

THEN BEND THE RULES AND ASK FOR ID...

I had one lady that had a MANS name that was a customer...

This was not one of those BOY or GIRL NAMES

IT WAS LIKE MARK

#19 ammorgan

ammorgan
  • Members
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 01:31 AM

IT WAS LIKE MARK

Could have been a tranny :wave:

#20 Rogue

Rogue
  • Members
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 01:32 AM

How about....

Posted Image

??????

That is too funny NoBull, makes some classic SNL skits come to mind!

#21 NoBull

NoBull
  • Members
  • 16,320 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 01:35 AM

IT WAS LIKE MARK

Could have been a tranny :)

:o You mean like...

Posted Image

????

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

#22 NoBull

NoBull
  • Members
  • 16,320 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 01:37 AM

How about....

Posted Image

??????

That is too funny NoBull, makes some classic SNL skits come to mind!

Hey Rogue!!!

So true! My favorite SNL characters...

1. Pat
2. Debbie Downer
3. Roseanne Roseannadana

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

#23 NoBull

NoBull
  • Members
  • 16,320 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 01:38 AM

(Sorry...just got back from the gym...haven't eaten yet...and my sense of humor is rather twisted tonight!)

#24 Rogue

Rogue
  • Members
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 01:38 AM

IT WAS LIKE MARK

This just reminded me of that scene with Steve Martin in his movie "The Jerk" where he is working in a gas station pumping petrol and a car full of chicanos in a lowrider pulls up and the driver (male hispanic) hands him a CC. Martin looks at the CC and says something like "welcome Edna Goldstein can I filler up?" LOL!

#25 NoBull

NoBull
  • Members
  • 16,320 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 01:40 AM

IT WAS LIKE MARK

This just reminded me of that scene with Steve Martin in his movie "The Jerk" where he is working in a gas station pumping petrol and a car full of chicanos in a lowrider pulls up and the driver (male hispanic) hands him a CC. Martin looks at the CC and says something like "welcome Edna Goldstein can I filler up?" LOL!

OMG!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I never saw that movie. Now I HAVE to get the DVD!!!

You have me ROLLING, rogue!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.