Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Strange experience when I used my CC the other day

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#101 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:18 PM

JC Penny always ask to see ID with a MC or Visa.

Not in my world

JUST SAY NO (as long as the "ID" in on the back of the card)

(your SIGNATURE)

CID is not your name

BLANK is not your name

Edited by GEORGE, 29 October 2008 - 09:19 PM.

#102 Islandgal

Islandgal

Island Dreamer

• Members
  • 6,506 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:32 PM

in some situations you need to know when to make a case...food or DQ isn't one of them in my books..

http://creditboards....howtopic=367408

#103 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:02 PM

Quite frankly, your whining about this situation AFTER the fact did not invite constructive criticism. Rather, as your post indicated, you simply wanted to vent, and as such, you must expect to have your actions called into question, as well.

A truly proactive individual would have handled the situation on the spot, or, in the alternative, would have ALREADY complained to Dairy Queen corporate, and/or to Visa International, rather than simply "venting" on an Internet message board.

If I feel that my rights have been violated, or that I am being treated in a disparate manner, I handle it. Certainly, this board encourages the sharing of information and experiences, but it appears you have done nothing constructive to address the situation.

The victim mentality just does not play well with me.

"Victim mentality". Whining?

Let me give you a little insight. Getting a possible incident of racial discrimination off one's chest is NOT "whining" as you call it, nor is it playing the "victim mentality".

Sorry to break the news to ya, but racism is alive and well in this country. Complaining it about it, even on a public message board is certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

FURTHERMORE...

Everyone "handles it" on their own schedule. Just because you may have assumed the cashier in question treated you in a disparate manner (and would have said something right there), doesn't mean that someone who chose not to is not "handling" the situation.

I have chosen to re-live the events over and over in my mind, to better gain clarity into what really happened. WHY? The answer is simple:

Even implying that someone may have slighted you on racial grounds can have enormous consequences for the person accused of the indiscretion.
Depending on the mood of the store manager, the cashier in question could be fired.

I have worked for years in customer service, and have witnessed first hand employees fired for a letter of complaint -- even if there was no real grounds for the complaint.

THAT SAID...

Racial discrimination comes in all different levels of subtletly nowadays. Rarely do people come outright and put a "No Colored People Allowed" sign on the front door of their establishments (yes, this used to be quite prevelent in case you didn't know).

Nowadays, it's much more subtle. That subtlety could cause me to "see" an act of racism, when the reality of the situation could be a perfectly legitimate explaination.

To give you an example: it's late at night and I'm walking to the corner store for a pack of smokes. A white woman walking toward me on my side of the street, chooses to cross the street. Immediately, my instincts would tell me it's because I'm black. Upon further review of the situation, however, I think to myself...it may be because I'm a man, regardless of the color of my skin. And as we all know, women have to be very vigilant in today's world.

Is that a case of racism? Or a woman who crosses the street for every guy she sees coming in her direction after a certain time of night? In many situations, one will never know the real answer.

Was this just a friendly cashier who recognized a patron? Or a woman who felt that a black man with a credit card must have stolen it?

Doesn’t matter if the cashier recognized you or not - No ID with signed credit cards PERIOD.

#104 Towser44

Towser44
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:46 AM

I remember when I was a cashier there were at a food quick service place in a small town there were lots of regulars that would come in that I didn't know personally. I saw them 4 times a week though so I never would have thought twice about how they paid.

#105 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:48 AM

I DESPISE DISPARATE TREATMENT OF ANY TYPE...whether it be racially motivated, sexually motivated, economically motivated...

But PEOPLE NEED TO SPEAK UP!!!

To report, simply call 1-800-VISA-911, press zero twice, and ask to file an "incident report" regarding a merchant violation/merchant who required ID. Crooked merchants shape-up quickly to avoid suspension. Make sure your community is 100% violation-free. :lol:

#106 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:23 AM

A truly proactive individual would have handled the situation on the spot, or, in the alternative, would have ALREADY complained to Dairy Queen corporate, and/or to Visa International, rather than simply "venting" on an Internet message board.

The OP mistakenly thought the violating cashier could violate him just because he wasn’t recognized as a known customer. Now that he knows better, he likely won’t let himself be violated again, and will hopefully take action on the spot should anything like this ever happen again.

#107 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:45 AM

NO MINIMUM PURCHASE

NO MAXIMUM PURCHASE

NO ID FOR SIGNED CREDIT CARDS

NO FEE TO USE A CREDIT CARD

Yep they violated the credit card companies policy by asking for ID

All for a $1.99 blizzard dessert!

#108 Jen23514

Jen23514
  • Members
  • 12,565 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:53 AM

The OP mistakenly thought the violating cashier could violate him just because he wasn’t recognized as a known customer. Now that he knows better, he likely won’t let himself be violated again, and will hopefully take action on the spot should anything like this ever happen again.

I think this is a gross misuse of the word "violated".

#109 Credit Matters

Credit Matters

Bad Influence II

• Members
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:57 AM

I think this is a gross misuse of the word "violated".

Wow. Continental going back years to keep this conversation going.

Continental, I don't disagree with your general message. But your tactics (here) are a real turn off to people you may have otherwise persuaded.

#110 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:54 PM

One of the reasons the Visa/MC/AmEx policy against requiring ID is there is because it helps limit discrimination (like asking all men for ID, but not women, or asking people of color for ID only, etc)

One of many..

#111 Jazzyburrell

Jazzyburrell
  • Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:44 PM

One of the reasons the Visa/MC/AmEx policy against requiring ID is there is because it helps limit discrimination (like asking all men for ID, but not women, or asking people of color for ID only, etc)

One of many..

I highly doubt the reason for the policy is to prevent discrimination!!!!

#112 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:54 PM

NO MINIMUM PURCHASE

NO MAXIMUM PURCHASE

CREDIT CARD WITH NO ID or KEEP IT

#113 Sunnyone

Sunnyone
  • Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:20 PM

I read this post with so much interest, because there is always some one who will over react, and someone who actually will be not treated perfectly.

Racism in stores goes both ways, as does sexism.

We are imperfect, and I get the guy who in Sears goes for the guy looking at the big saw and me the $29.00 tool kit for my son.

I have recently gone to an old black man at Target, who removed my bra's from the hanger, felt, them, snagged them, and bagged them. I felt as if he had violated me, and I really think that the old guy did it on purpose. He violated my clothes and my dignity. I have never been back to him in line again.

I did not complain, so I am not that good at this stuff.

I also fought hard for the ID at what was Walgreens recently for the right to see my license.

I am inconsistent in my battles, because I do not wish to appear racist.

I will fight for my credit.

But, if anyone wants ID for a purchase under $15.00 at a restaurant, I will drive off and wildly call in with complaints.

This country is changing, and right now we have more of a chance to stop the complaining than ever before - we are a mixed race, and we need to just become more patient now. Maybe, sometimes just aren't what they seem, or we are looking to be offended.

We are all in the suds right now, let's pull together.

If the two who spent the money were in there every night, and they may have been, (sounds like it from the description), why shouldn't they just have been accepted as regular customers?

I don't know, I have been poorly seated on so many business trips in so many restaurants because I am a lone female, who presumably will accept this, that I am pretty good at that fight - I will not sit by the swinging kitchen door, the bus station, or the rest rooms - other than that, will take most anything.

I worry that many people are looking for fights, and offenses, for a simple $1.99 DQ.

#114 Jen23514

Jen23514
  • Members
  • 12,565 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:38 PM

I read this post with so much interest, because there is always some one who will over react, and someone who actually will be not treated perfectly.

We are imperfect, and I get the guy who in Sears goes for the guy looking at the big saw and me the $29.00 tool kit for my son.

I have recently gone to an old black man at Target, who removed my bra's from the hanger, felt, them, snagged them, and bagged them. I felt as if he had violated me, and I really think that the old guy did it on purpose. He violated my clothes and my dignity. I have never been back to him in line again.

I also fought hard for the ID at what was Walgreens recently for the right to see my license.

so, were you offended because a man felt up your newly purchased bras?

or because he was black? :D

because from reading your post, I think you're upset because he was black?

#115 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:40 PM

I will fight for my credit.

But, if anyone wants ID for a purchase under $15.00 at a restaurant, I will drive off and wildly call in with complaints.

This country is changing, and right now we have more of a chance to stop the complaining than ever before - we are a mixed race, and we need to just become more patient now. Maybe, sometimes just aren't what they seem, or we are looking to be offended.

We are all in the suds right now, let's pull together.

If the two who spent the money were in there every night, and they may have been, (sounds like it from the description), why shouldn't they just have been accepted as regular customers?

I don't know, I have been poorly seated on so many business trips in so many restaurants because I am a lone female, who presumably will accept this, that I am pretty good at that fight - I will not sit by the swinging kitchen door, the bus station, or the rest rooms - other than that, will take most anything.

I worry that many people are looking for fights, and offenses, for a simple $1.99 DQ.

Pick your fights...

I DON'T EAT FRIED FISH

I HAVE NEVER SEEN A DRAGON (other than on TV and in the MOVIES)

ID for a $1.99 DQ and not even a signature for $10.00 at McDONALDS

DO THE MATH...who made money today???

(just an example) DIDN'T EVEN DRIVE ANY PLACE TODAY

Edited by GEORGE, 10 November 2008 - 03:41 PM.

#116 Auto_Body_Chick

Auto_Body_Chick
  • Members
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:41 PM

:D

This thread had me thinking NOBULL was back. I saw his post and smiled.

Then I realized this was from 2006!

This is just wrong.

#117 cocomad

cocomad
  • Members
  • 8,617 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:48 PM

:D

This thread had me thinking NOBULL was back. I saw his post and smiled.

Then I realized this was from 2006!

This is just wrong.

:P Me too *sigh*..... Miss him so much!!!

Edited by cocomad, 10 November 2008 - 03:48 PM.

#118 Sunnyone

Sunnyone
  • Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:50 PM

I was offended because the OLDER man, who should have been much more aware, felt up and snagged my bra's.

I am offended that he did not just put them in the bag.

I am offended because he rubbed them.

I did not really think of his color, just his age, and the creepy way he did it.

I DID NOT COMPLAIN, because he was BLACK.

I was offended, because my bra's were damaged by his RUBBING them.

Please be clear, if he had been WHITE, I would have gone straight to the customer service desk.

Because I felt it might have been accidental, with hands roughened by years working hard, I did not complain.

Had I not worked in the landscaping trade for 12 years, and have some pretty rough hands myself, I would have complained.

It was RACE that kept me from complaining.

Bra's wash, but snags are there for good.

That is what I mean, we don't know, for all I know that old guy could not see well, and was told to save the hangers. He had a great deal of difficulty undoing them - this has never happened to me in Target before, they just load them in the bag.

So, I didn't complain. Rather than make a scene, whether it was his eyesight, his age, his race, whether he was a creep, I took them, and still feel bad that they are wrecked brand new.

#119 CIO

CIO

Bump Influence II

• Members
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:26 PM

Come back NO BULL, please come back. :wub:

#120 Auto_Body_Chick

Auto_Body_Chick
  • Members
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:43 PM

Come back NO BULL, please come back. :cry2:

There's gotta be a way that the mods can help us stalk him....

#121 milesandmiles

milesandmiles
  • Members
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:30 PM

YES! Bring back NOBULL!!!!! :dntknw: :rofl: :)

#122 seattle

seattle
  • Bloggers
  • 888 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 12:24 AM

I'm not unaware of the fact the reported post within this thread is OVER 2 YEARS OLD.

I am dismissing the report due to it's frivolous nature.

LMAO just noticed it hehe.

#123 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 68,274 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:43 AM

I'm not unaware of the fact the reported post within this thread is OVER 2 YEARS OLD.

I am dismissing the report due to it's frivolous nature.

Somebody here has been known for bumping MORE than a few OLD posts

...and it does not start with "C"

:rofl: :lol: your point????

#124 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 03:03 PM

I was offended because the OLDER man, who should have been much more aware, felt up and snagged my bra's.

I am offended that he did not just put them in the bag.

I am offended because he rubbed them.

I did not really think of his color, just his age, and the creepy way he did it.

I DID NOT COMPLAIN, because he was BLACK.

I was offended, because my bra's were damaged by his RUBBING them.

Please be clear, if he had been WHITE, I would have gone straight to the customer service desk.

Because I felt it might have been accidental, with hands roughened by years working hard, I did not complain.

Had I not worked in the landscaping trade for 12 years, and have some pretty rough hands myself, I would have complained.

It was RACE that kept me from complaining.

Bra's wash, but snags are there for good.

That is what I mean, we don't know, for all I know that old guy could not see well, and was told to save the hangers.

Stores like Target usually keep/reuse their hangers unless you specifically request otherwise..

#125 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 01:45 AM

NO MINIMUM PURCHASE

NO MAXIMUM PURCHASE

CREDIT CARD WITH NO ID or KEEP IT

No one should be inconvenienced by having to dine elsewhere. The most important thing is making sure it never happens again, so if any violating merchant ever pops-up in your community, make sure they are eliminated/brought back into line immediately - 1-800-VISA-911.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.