Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Oh no! My first mistake? Already?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 newweaver

newweaver
  • Newbies
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 01:13 PM

I just read in one of the newbie posts (in the "don't do this" post) that you shouldn't order the free credit reports from the three agencies? Because then instead of the credit agencies having 30 days they have 45? Have I totally lost you? Am I totally lost? If I shouldn't have done this, should I wait and pay for new reports in a couple months.

I already have so many questions and I just want to try to figure out how to not make any major mistakes to make things worse...

Help? :angel:

#2 credit_help

credit_help
  • Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 01:49 PM

I just read in one of the newbie posts (in the "don't do this" post) that you shouldn't order the free credit reports from the three agencies?  Because then instead of the credit agencies having 30 days they have 45?  Have I totally lost you?  Am I totally lost?  If I shouldn't have done this, should I wait and pay for new reports in a couple months.

I already have so many questions and I just want to try to figure out how to not make any major mistakes to make things worse...

Help?  :swoon:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Except for EQ other two were timely in sending back my dispute reports. They only took 30 days even though my 1st set of disputes were based on free reports from free annual credit reports site. I had to go through CSC for my EQ disputes and they asked for ID documents in the 1st round. Funny thing is I had EQ CWG since 17 months and I disputed only in April this year. They allow me to pull a report everyday online but want ID documents for sending a CR with dispute results. :P

#3 CIApain

CIApain
  • Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 01:53 PM

As soon as I pulled my annual free credit report, they all sent me a letter thanking me for another 15 days. How nice of them.

#4 newweaver

newweaver
  • Newbies
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 02:09 PM

I haven't even done anything yet though. I just called the number to recieve a free report from each agency and got that. Now my husband and I are going through and circling what we need to dispute, but we haven't sent letters or anything.

So is that a problem? I think I got confused somewhere... I hope my question is making sense.

#5 StupidCredit

StupidCredit
  • Members
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 02:12 PM

I haven't even done anything yet though.  I just called the number to recieve a free report from each agency and got that.  Now my husband and I are going through and circling what we need to dispute, but we haven't sent letters or anything.

So is that a problem?  I think I got confused somewhere...  I hope my question is making sense.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not life threatening or anything, but an additional 15 days gives a CA more time to respond and verify. It potentially makes your job harder, but who knows for sure.

#6 Savantrice

Savantrice
  • Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 03:04 PM

there's nothing wrong with ordering your free reports from that site just to see what's actually ON them. the reason people tend to eschew them on this board is because if you start the dispute process with those reports the CRA's have 45 days as opposed to the standard 30 (for reports you purchase from them)...and as you read more on here, you'll realize how important that extra 15 days might potentially be.

so, no, there's nothing wrong with what you did, as ur starting out. just know that you will probably need to get them from the CRA's individually when you actually start the disputing process.

#7 newweaver

newweaver
  • Newbies
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 03:19 PM

there's nothing wrong with ordering your free reports from that site just to see what's actually ON them.  the reason people tend to eschew them on this board is because if you start the dispute process with those reports the CRA's have 45 days as opposed to the standard 30 (for reports you purchase from them)...and as you read more on here, you'll realize how important that extra 15 days might potentially be.

so, no, there's nothing wrong with what you did, as ur starting out.  just know that you will probably need to get them from the CRA's individually when you actually start the disputing process.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So at this point do you think it would be okay just to do the address/name corrections with the reports I got? Or should we pretty much start from scratch and pay for reports from the agencies?

So if they have to send updated reports because of name/address changes, and then we have disputes off of THOSE reports, will they only have 30 days to get back to us?

#8 StupidCredit

StupidCredit
  • Members
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 10:03 PM

So at this point do you think it would be okay just to do the address/name corrections with the reports I got?
Yes

So if they have to send updated reports because of name/address changes, and then we have disputes off of THOSE reports, will they only have 30 days to get back to us?
Good question, I dunno.  I know with EXP, you keep the same file number through repeated disputes.  Its possible that file number is tied to a free report, but you never know with these guys.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#9 sirfranky

sirfranky
  • Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 11:10 PM

It used to be hard to get the free report> Now they they make it so easy so they can get that extra 15 days and boy that can make a whole lotta difference

#10 newweaver

newweaver
  • Newbies
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 08:45 AM

Thanks for all of your replies!

I think at this point we might just buy reports from each CRA. I am kind of counting on them only having 30 days, so I think we will play it safe.

Thanks again, everyone has been so great and helpful here!

#11 Shanynrose

Shanynrose
  • Newbies
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 10:49 AM

I did the same thing, trying to save $$ in the short run. I should have checked here first but I was seduced by that four-letter word...FREE.

What I'm wondering now is, can I go back in and "pay to play" for each individual report, leaving the CRAs "only" 30 days to investigate. Since my credit report could conceivably differ from one day to the next (OK, not likely but it *could* happen) it seems like they would be happy to *sell* me additional reports.

Meantime I'll use the freebies to get a basic idea of what I need to do.

I do think I'll follow newweaver's lead and just send in the name/address corrections referencing the free report numbers.

#12 RoadtoSuccess

RoadtoSuccess
  • Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 11:07 AM

I would go ahead and dispute personal information (mainly addresses) off of the free report.....no harm there....

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.