Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Sign at the gas pump

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 mrskippy

mrskippy
  • Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 01:33 AM

Amongst things like "Turn of engine" and "Turn off cell phones" was something that said:

"ID may be required for credit card purchase"

Of course, the key word there could be "may"

Interesting. This was a Valero and it looked like the sign was supplied by corporate.

#2 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 01:37 AM

Amongst things like "Turn of engine" and "Turn off cell phones" was something that said:

"ID may be required for credit card purchase"

Of course, the key word there could be "may"

Interesting. This was a Valero and it looked like the sign was supplied by corporate.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

THEY GONNA' HIRE ANOTHER EMPLOYEE TO WORK OUTSIDE TO CHECK ID????

THEY GONNA REMOVE THE GAS THAT IS ALREADY PUMPED WHEN I REFUSE TO SHOW ID...AND CREDIT THE ACCOUNT THAT HAS LONG SINCE BEEN CHARGED???

MAYBE CHECK ID INSIDE...BUT WHAT DO I NEED TO GO INSIDE WHEN I CAN PAY-AT-THE-PUMP???

(not that I would show ID either place)

Edited by GEORGE, 18 July 2005 - 01:42 AM.

#3 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 01:51 AM

TURN OFF CELLPHONE...

MIGHT BE OVER KILL...

(some guys tested that on TV)--THEY TRY TO PROVE or DIS-PROVE A BUNCH OF THINGS

(MYTH-BUSTERS)

BUT IDIOTS SMOKE IN THEIR CARS!!!

I SAW A GAS STATION BLOW UP ON A SECURITY CAMERA FROM ACROSS THE STREET FROM A STATION...(PERFECT CONDITIONS...LOW GROUND FOG...SLIGHT WIND...GASOLINE DELIVERY DRIVER WAS SMOKING ON THE SIDEWALK...FUMES WERE LEAKING FROM THE HOSES)

BOOM!!!!

(YEARS AGO)

Edited by GEORGE, 18 July 2005 - 01:54 AM.

#4 mrskippy

mrskippy
  • Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 01:51 AM

Actually, Chevron already requires you to input you ZIP CODE when paying by credit card and another station I was at recently was doing the same thing. That is sufficient ID verification.

Perhaps it finally dawned on some people that one of the easiest places to commit fraud is at the gas pump. A cousin stole my grandpa's gas card once and decided to buy gas, gas and more gas. When my grandma got the bill she was shocked that they would allow you to pay at the pump like this.

One company (Cenex) requires a pin at the gas pump.

#5 mrskippy

mrskippy
  • Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 01:55 AM

TURN OFF CELLPHONE...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the bigger concern is that there was talk at one time that cellphones may/may not produce a small electric charge (when you turn them on, when they ring, or something). I don't believe it's actually ever happened, but I would imagine this is just a better safe than sorry issue.

Of course, there have been incidents with people opening their car doors (while the gas is automatically pumping) and catching fire. I believe this isn't impossible. My parents van has a tendancy to shock you like mad when you get out or open the door (the door is electric).

#6 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 01:57 AM

Actually, Chevron already requires you to input you ZIP CODE when paying by credit card and another station I was at recently was doing the same thing. That is sufficient ID verification.

Perhaps it finally dawned on some people that one of the easiest places to commit fraud is at the gas pump. A cousin stole my grandpa's gas card once and decided to buy gas, gas and more gas. When my grandma got the bill she was shocked that they would allow you to pay at the pump like this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I DON'T HAVE A PIN# FOR SOME OF MY CARDS!!!

(I DON'T DO CASH ADVANCES AT ATMS SO I HAVE NO USE FOR ONE)

AMEX & WAL*MART DO THE ZIP CODE DEAL

#7 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 02:00 AM

TURN OFF CELLPHONE...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the bigger concern is that there was talk at one time that cellphones may/may not produce a small electric charge (when you turn them on, when they ring, or something). I don't believe it's actually ever happened, but I would imagine this is just a better safe than sorry issue.

Of course, there have been incidents with people opening their car doors (while the gas is automatically pumping) and catching fire. I believe this isn't impossible. My parents van has a tendancy to shock you like mad when you get out or open the door (the door is electric).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One of our cars did that to us too...

Might have been a GROUNDING PROBLEM...I can't see it being STATIC ELECTRICITY

#8 mrskippy

mrskippy
  • Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 02:05 AM

FWIW, my junky little car shocks me too when I open the door and touch the inside of the door. And, that door isn't electrical at all.

However, I'm suspicious of my parent's van. They have one of those electric sliding doors. The button is on the door frame and everytime you touch it -- ZAP!!! I've told them to take it in and have it checked ... but they won't. What they hell did they buy an extended warranty for than?

#9 mrskippy

mrskippy
  • Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 02:07 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Cenex pin is only for their card. Apparently some of their stations are card lock type places. I got their card, just in case I needed it for travel. Easy to get too.

I think the other place that required the Zip Code was a mom-and-pop station. To me this is a fair way to verify identity (since it's often the key in mail order).

#10 BBQ123

BBQ123
  • Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:31 PM

They said they *MAY* require ID.

This means that if you go in and your card is NOT signed, they can ask for ID.

#11 centex

centex
  • Members
  • 18,370 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 03:08 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It could also be referring to *gasp* a card other than one of the bow down and kiss my feet because I carry it cards.

#12 BBQ123

BBQ123
  • Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 12:57 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It could also be referring to *gasp* a card other than one of the bow down and kiss my feet because I carry it cards.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any Visa/MC/AmEx should be treated the same for getting gas... whether it be the Centurion Black, a Platinum Check Card or a Secured Visa.

#13 angrymissy

angrymissy
  • Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 01:10 PM

My craptacular Reward 660 Subprime card cannot be used at pumpandpay. I have to go inside and pay. Its really annoying

#14 centex

centex
  • Members
  • 18,370 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 07:32 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any Visa/MC/AmEx should be treated the same for getting gas... whether it be the Centurion Black, a Platinum Check Card or a Secured Visa.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You obviously missed my point...given that it is a *gas* station, there might actually be people that use a *gas* card. Too many seem to think that just because it says Visa/MC/AMEX/Disc/CarteBlanche on the card that the merchants should worship the ground you walk on...too many of you tend to completely forget that some people could care less about those cards.

I'll close by reiterating my hope that you never have to undo the damage of ID theft that could have been prevented is a clerk had asked for ID at the point of sale...

#15 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 07:40 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You obviously missed my point...given that it is a *gas* station, there might actually be people that use a *gas* card. Too many seem to think that just because it says Visa/MC/AMEX/Disc/CarteBlanche on the card that the merchants should worship the ground you walk on...too many of you tend to completely forget that some people could care less about those cards.

I'll close by reiterating my hope that you never have to undo the damage of ID theft that could have been prevented is a clerk had asked for ID at the point of sale...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HELLO WALL!!!!!!

Edited by GEORGE, 24 July 2005 - 07:41 PM.

#16 BBQ123

BBQ123
  • Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 11:12 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your card being used by someone else is really not ID theft... when they open accounts in your name w/o you knowing that is real ID theft.

Anyway.. I know there are gas cards / single store cards.

#17 lilac

lilac
  • Banned
  • 902 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 11:41 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Isn't the pin number only asked for when you use a debit card? I think you can just hit cancel and then you'll have to select "credit" at some point.

#18 centex

centex
  • Members
  • 18,370 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 06:49 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your card being used by someone else is really not ID theft... when they open accounts in your name w/o you knowing that is real ID theft.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As a victim (twice, totalling well over a quarter mil), I believe myself to be well-versed on what comprises identity theft. And yes, there were POS purchases that could have stopped the losses early in the process had a clerk asked for ID. Just because they open the card does not mean they will have photo-ID that matches what is on the card...

I can only presume that the naysayers on ID at POS have never been victimized...if not for the ill effects of karma, I would almost be willing to wish it upon some that have posted in these threads. It might open their eyes a little bit.

#19 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 09:36 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As a victim (twice, totalling well over a quarter mil), I believe myself to be well-versed on what comprises identity theft. And yes, there were POS purchases that could have stopped the losses early in the process had a clerk asked for ID. Just because they open the card does not mean they will have photo-ID that matches what is on the card...

I can only presume that the naysayers on ID at POS have never been victimized...if not for the ill effects of karma, I would almost be willing to wish it upon some that have posted in these threads. It might open their eyes a little bit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ID AT POS WILL SOLVE THE ID THEFT PROBLEM???

SORRY WON'T WORK (very little is at POS)

Most ID THEFT is not at POS

LET THE FLAMES BEGIN!!!

#20 centex

centex
  • Members
  • 18,370 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 12:02 PM

ID AT POS WILL SOLVE THE ID THEFT PROBLEM???

SORRY WON'T WORK (very little is at POS)

Most ID THEFT is not at POS

LET THE FLAMES BEGIN!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On at least two of the cards that were opened, more than $40K of losses could have been prevented if a clerk at the beginning would have asked for ID. On at least six of the cards, no less than three of the first five transactions were small (less than a grand) amounts that were POS.

So yes, I take the need for ID at POS as a preventative measure seriously. If you ever become a victim and you discover that it the thief could have been stopped early on, you to will change your views on this matter...I almost guarantee it.

#21 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 06:05 PM

CHECKING CREDIT REPORTS and CHECKING ON-LINE STATEMENTS DOESN'T DO ANY GOOD DOES IT????

#22 centex

centex
  • Members
  • 18,370 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 06:16 PM

CHECKING CREDIT REPORTS and CHECKING ON-LINE STATEMENTS DOESN'T DO ANY GOOD DOES IT????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GODDAMMIT GEORGE- YOU JUST DON'T GET IT DO YOU?

With ID Theft, you can check the reports daily but by the time you know a card is out there, it can be too late. And you can't check statements when you don't have the account number (which even if you have a report, you won't have the account number).

HAD A CLERK CHECKED ID, THE LOSSES IN MY CASES OF VICTIMIZATION COULD HAVE BEEN GREATLY REDUCED

OBVIOUSLY, YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN A VICTIM.

#23 cannoda

cannoda
  • Members
  • 413 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 06:36 PM

HAD A CLERK CHECKED ID, THE LOSSES IN MY CASES OF VICTIMIZATION COULD HAVE BEEN GREATLY REDUCED

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not that George needs any help, but I don't think you realize just how easy it is to get an ID (fake OR REAL) with my picture and your name on it.

#24 BBQ123

BBQ123
  • Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:05 PM

If you love showing ID write "SEE ID" on the back of the card in permanant marker and then hand the clerk your ID with the card.

#25 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 12:45 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GODDAMMIT GEORGE- YOU JUST DON'T GET IT DO YOU?

With ID Theft, you can check the reports daily but by the time you know a card is out there, it can be too late. And you can't check statements when you don't have the account number (which even if you have a report, you won't have the account number).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

T.O.S. VIOLATION

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.