Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Reporting merchants

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 BLT

BLT
  • Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 09:25 AM

What is the appropriate way to report a merchant that charges a minimum fee or surcharge to Visa/MC?

Thanks.

#2 hurricanesfans27

hurricanesfans27

CB ombudsman

• Forum Leads
  • 18,492 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 09:26 AM

report them to your credit card provider.

#3 BLT

BLT
  • Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 09:41 AM

I was reading the Visa policies and was afraid that was going to be the reply. Hopefully they won't be too hard to deal with :swoon:

#4 hurricanesfans27

hurricanesfans27

CB ombudsman

• Forum Leads
  • 18,492 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 09:46 AM

they arent.. i just did it with chase and got my fee back that i was charged from a body shop where i live. im sure that body shop doesnt have their sign up anymore.

#5 BBQ123

BBQ123
  • Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 02:58 PM

Report them to Visa/MC/AmEx (yes, all three - for violation, if they ask for ID on cards, that violates all 3 companies policy)

Report them to your card issuer.

And then also mabye send a letter to the company's CEO or something.

#6 theonlymember

theonlymember
  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 07:54 PM

Is there a site to report them or is calling the only option?

#7 hurricanesfans27

hurricanesfans27

CB ombudsman

• Forum Leads
  • 18,492 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 12:57 PM

Is there a site to report them or is calling the only option?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I reported at both the chase web site and the website for mastercard

#8 Amanda

Amanda
  • Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 06:43 PM

I tried to report to USAA because someone tried to charge me a surcharge, and USAA thought I was crazy. They said there is no such policy. Ummmmmm, okay.

I was using my debit MC.

#9 dionx

dionx
  • Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 08:04 PM

I tried to report to USAA because someone tried to charge me a surcharge, and USAA thought I was crazy.  They said there is no such policy.  Ummmmmm, okay. 

I was using my debit MC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i recently reported that a Rally's Hamburgers down the street from where i live was surcharging credit card users. i even wrote to Rallys themselves via their website. a few days later, i get a call from Rally's and they say they talked to Bank of America, who takes care of their credit card stuff, and Bank of America apparently told Rally's it was ok to surcharge. so i argued over the phone how it was against Visa/MC policy but Rally's insisted that Bank of America said it was ok. they must of talked to someone at Bank of America who doesn't know anything about the policy. Bank of America told Rallys that it was ok to pass the processing fees to the customer, but i told Rally's that it's ok to pass it to the customer but not just to credit card customers but rather to all whether its cash or CC. for some reason, Rally's think the surcharge is ok as long as they have a sign for it. and even if that was the case, they still didn't have a sign for it.

so i said they should talk to someone at Bank of America or Visa or MC who knows whats going on. with that part of the conversation over, i brought up the next issue that was wrong on Rally's part. they asked me for ID and at the drive-thru no less. Rally's agreed with me that their store was wrong in doing so because of possible fraud with ID theft, but also because it defeats the very purpose of fast food. the cashier who i dealt with really wanted to see my ID and i told her no and that my sig was enough. she was like "ooo k" and went to her manager. then the stupid manager was saying how they check ID to protect me and for that day only, they'll let me make my purchase without an ID, as if they were doing me a favor. anyways, since i know the day and time i went there, Rally's is able to look into who was working those shifts and they will be dealt with. i don't really want them punished (other than fines) but those fines will at least make them more informed about credit card policies.

Rally's has yet to get back to me on their surcharging.

#10 BBQ123

BBQ123
  • Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 10:53 PM

DISPUTE THE CHARGES!

Then when Rally's gets a chargeback for it they may learn

#11 dionx

dionx
  • Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:06 PM

DISPUTE THE CHARGES!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

already on top of that. i went twice and didn't notice the surcharge until the 2nd time when they actually told me about the surcharge. the first time, either they didn't tell me about the surcharge or decided not to add it. i didn't keep the receipt as i didn't think twice about it. but i did dispute both of them because if i got surcharged the 2nd time i went to Rallys, they most likely surcharged the first time i went there.

i disputed at MBNA. it was my first time doing so and said that there was a discrepency of $0.50 per transaction (the surcharge). i hope MBNA compensates me for the full amount of both transactions instead of just $1, which means my work of reporting would get me two free meals.

#12 BBQ123

BBQ123
  • Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 12:40 AM

DISPUTE THE CHARGES!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

already on top of that. i went twice and didn't notice the surcharge until the 2nd time when they actually told me about the surcharge. the first time, either they didn't tell me about the surcharge or decided not to add it. i didn't keep the receipt as i didn't think twice about it. but i did dispute both of them because if i got surcharged the 2nd time i went to Rallys, they most likely surcharged the first time i went there.

i disputed at MBNA. it was my first time doing so and said that there was a discrepency of $0.50 per transaction (the surcharge). i hope MBNA compensates me for the full amount of both transactions instead of just $1, which means my work of reporting would get me two free meals.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The way to stop merchants from adding fees is to fine them and charge back the FULL TRANSCATION for anything where they added a fee.

#13 small-Bz

small-Bz
  • Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 01:32 PM

Just FYI on extra charges for charging credit cards.
Fees depending on the accout can be as high as 2.9% plus any where from .20 to .50 per tranaction. So lets look at the worse case on a $5 purchase. This would be including any state tax too.
Food $4.60
Tax .40
Total $5.00
Fee -.50
2.9% -.145
Tax -.40

Net $3.955

If you noticed the fees come off the total ammount leaving the merchent with over $1.00 in cost (or 20% of the invoice) on a small invoice. Now lets look at a $10.00 invoice
Food $9.20
Tax .80
Total $10.00
Fee -.50
2.9% -.29
Tax -.80

Net $8.41

About $1.59 cost or 15.9% reducing the cost per invoice by 4% adds up very quick too.

Credit cards should be a win win for both parties involved in the transaction. If only the user gets the ben then as a merchent why should i accept them?

PS I don't have a minimum Credit card policy I just have a minimum invoice if you want to buy anything from me your min is $45.00 Cash / Check or Credit card. If you give to many stores crap on this you might find a policy just like this at your local store.

Sorry I just needed to vent a little some months my credit card fees seam like alot.

#14 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 02:07 PM

Fees depending on the accout can be as high as 2.9% plus any where from .20 to .50 per tranaction. So lets look at the worse case on a $5 purchase. This would be including any state tax too.
Food  $4.60
Tax    .40
Total $5.00
Fee    -.50
2.9%  -.145
Tax  -.40

Net  $3.955

If you noticed the fees come off the total ammount leaving the merchent with over $1.00 in cost (or 20% of the invoice) on a small invoice. Now lets look at a $10.00 invoice
Food  $9.20
Tax      .80
Total  $10.00
Fee      -.50
2.9%    -.29
Tax      -.80

Net  $8.41

About $1.59 cost or 15.9% reducing the cost per invoice by 4% adds up very quick too.

Credit cards should be a win win for both parties involved in the transaction. If only the user gets the ben then as a merchent why should i accept them?

PS I don't have a minimum Credit card policy I just have a minimum invoice if you want to buy anything from me your min is $45.00 Cash / Check or Credit card. If you give to many stores crap on this you might find a policy just like this at your local store.

Sorry I just needed to vent a little some months my credit card fees seam like alot.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

CREDIT CARD FEES ARE TAX DEDUCTABLE SAME AS...

WATER
SEWER
TRASH
PHONE
GAS
ELECTRIC

DO YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT THOSE?????????

IT IS A PROVEN FACT THAT BUSINESSES THAT TAKE CREDIT CARDS MAKE MORE INCOME vs STORES THAT DON'T TAKE CREDIT CARDS (ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL)

#15 dionx

dionx
  • Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 02:14 PM

Food  $4.60
Tax    .40
Total $5.00
Fee    -.50
2.9%  -.145
Tax  -.40

Net  $3.955

Food  $9.20
Tax      .80
Total  $10.00
Fee      -.50
2.9%    -.29
Tax      -.80

Net  $8.41

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

since you are the business, you can always make the prices of the items a little higher to offset the credit card fees. then when someone pays cash, you get more profit. when someone pays credit cards, the fee is offset by the cash paying person. in the end, you try to strike a balance so that you don't lose customers from higher prices and yet gain more customers because of the credit card option and also a higher profit from credit card customers because they tend to spend more. it's all part of economics. you can't exclude credit card fees as a factor in today's modern business so you just adjust to it instead of complaining about getting a slimmer profit. it's all relative anyways. you are comparing a cash driven business to a creditcard+cash driven business. they both have different approaches.

#16 dionx

dionx
  • Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 02:25 PM

I just noticed this weekend that San Diego Internation Airport requirees a $1 minimum charge for CC when paying their parking lots and they had signs at every booth. For half an hour or less, it would be $0.50. I went ahead and reported them to Mastercard as I was under their $1 limit fee the last time I went.

#17 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 02:33 PM

I just noticed this weekend that San Diego Internation Airport requirees a $1 minimum charge for CC when paying their parking lots and they had signs at every booth.  For half an hour or less, it would be $0.50.  I went ahead and reported them to Mastercard as I was under their $1 limit fee the last time I went.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

$0.50??? THAT IS CHEAP...

I can some what understand the $1.00 deal (even though it is still a VIOLATION)

Most airport parking I know about is just $1.00 minimum...LAX...DEN

(but DEN gives everybody some FREE TIME)

#18 dionx

dionx
  • Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 02:46 PM

I just noticed this weekend that San Diego Internation Airport requirees a $1 minimum charge for CC when paying their parking lots and they had signs at every booth.  For half an hour or less, it would be $0.50.  I went ahead and reported them to Mastercard as I was under their $1 limit fee the last time I went.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

$0.50??? THAT IS CHEAP...

I can some what understand the $1.00 deal (even though it is still a VIOLATION)

Most airport parking I know about is just $1.00 minimum...LAX...DEN

(but DEN gives everybody some FREE TIME)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just don't like having limits. I probably would have paid cash, but when I saw that sign, I insisted on the card. I like making a fuss about credit card situations whether its surcharges, limits, or ID.

#19 hurricanesfans27

hurricanesfans27

CB ombudsman

• Forum Leads
  • 18,492 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 02:51 PM

some business owners just dont get it. you charge a fee I report it and I get my transaction for free. So either you lose a little or you lose alot.. how do you want it? oh and by the way if you remove Visa/MC I just go down the street to buy.

As far as my situation with the body shop owner. He threatened to sue me for the 40 dollars until I told him my next step was to file a civil complaint with the sheriffs department because his fee was breaking the law in my state which is punishable by up to 6 months in jail and a 500 dollar fine. That shut him up quick. You cant sue someone for money you are trying to get by breaking the law. Judges tend to have a problem with that.

#20 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 02:59 PM

some business owners just dont get it.  you charge a fee I report it and I get my transaction for free.  So either you lose a little or you lose alot.. how do you want it?  oh and by the way if you remove Visa/MC I just go down the street to buy. 

As far as my situation with the body shop owner.  He threatened to sue me for the 40 dollars until I told him my next step was to file a civil complaint with the sheriffs department because his fee was breaking the law in my state which is punishable by up to 6 months in jail and a 500 dollar fine.  That shut him up quick.  You cant sue someone for money you are trying to get by breaking the law.  Judges tend to have a problem with that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WHY DIDN'T YOU COUNTER-SUE FOR $500 THEN???

(or that is just imposed by a court and you couldn't get the $500)

???

#21 hurricanesfans27

hurricanesfans27

CB ombudsman

• Forum Leads
  • 18,492 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 03:26 PM

George its a criminal penalty... Nothing I would get.

#22 BBQ123

BBQ123
  • Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:39 PM

If you want to use a credit card for 50 cents...you can, the merchant can not have a minimum.

The other day at a store a woman wanted to use up money on a Visa Gift card... 7 cents left on it... she asked the clerk to do 7 cents on the card and paid the rest in cash..

They did it, no problem.

If a merchant does not want to take cards without ID, without fees, and without minimums, they should not sign the merchant agreement, and should be willing to accept less business, the risk of bounced checks, and the need to count a lot more cash for deposit.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.