Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

GEORGE ASKED FOR ID part II

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 BBQ123

BBQ123
  • Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:28 PM

I'm inspired... there's a place down the street from where I work that has a sign on their door... $10 minimum for VISA/MC before tip. I'm tempted to order a $5 breakfast and use my card...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NIGHT CLUBS IN ORLANDO HAVE A "MINIMUM" OF "$20.00" WITHOUT TIP IN ORDER TO USE "ANY TYPE OF CREDIT OR CHARGE CARD".

IS THAT LEGAL??

THEY "FORCE" A SINGLE(solo) PERSON TO PURCHASE DRINKS IN EXCESS OF THAT AMOUNT IN ORDER TO ACCEPT THE CARD(s). UNFAIR
:P

I HAVE COMPLAINT TO "VISA & MASTERCARD" THEY HAVEN'T DONE A SINGLE THING ABOUT IT. :rofl:

MAYBE THAT EXPLAINS WHY THERE IS SO MANY "DUI's" AND OR CAR ACCIDENTS. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If they are essentially "forcing" people to drink whether they want to or not...they could find themselves in trouble with more than just Mastercard and Visa. That smells like a huge lawsuit waiting to happen...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Or you could use common sense and buy a Pepsi!! :rofl:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tell them you don't have any cash... and they can take the card or get nothing. They'll probably take it.

Report them to VISA/MC too... they could be FINED.

Wal-Mart -tell them card is signed, no ID for them... if they demand it, just walk out. Let the casheir deal with putting the stuff back.

#27 Mayor

Mayor
  • Members
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 03:11 AM

I hate to say this COULD is a big word.. A lot of things COULD happen, doesn't mean it will -- Or dent any money in there pocket.

#28 shop_free

shop_free
  • Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 03:41 AM

I hate to say this COULD is a big word.. A lot of things COULD happen, doesn't mean it will -- Or dent any money in there pocket.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is because people don't know. People think that the clerk is supposed to check ID.
I've seen many shows on Primetime and 20/20 etc, where they did their investigation and signed all different names like daffy duck etc and nothing was checked, I've seen where they used CC that did belong to them and nothing was checked and they blamed this whole thing on the cashier not checking ID.
I do admit that it's not the cashier fault, because nuumber 1 they think they are supposed to check and ID and #2 they are told to check ID all in the name of preventing Identify theft.

#29 Uncle Leo

Uncle Leo
  • Bloggers
  • 8,701 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 10:39 AM

People think that the clerk is supposed to check ID.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would guess that most average shoppers have absolutely no clue what VISA policy is.

#30 Pam

Pam

Site Owner

• Admin
  • 12,093 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 11:01 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would guess that most average shoppers have absolutely no clue what VISA policy is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My mom told me it was the law in FL. I've been unable to substantiate that. :D

#31 zoecat

zoecat
  • Newbies
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 01:17 PM

This is because people don't know. People think that the clerk is supposed to check ID.
I've seen many shows on Primetime and 20/20 etc, where they did their investigation and signed all different names like daffy duck etc and nothing was checked, I've seen where they used CC that did belong to them and nothing was checked and they blamed this whole thing on the cashier not checking ID.
I do admit that it's not the cashier fault, because nuumber 1 they think they are supposed to check and ID and #2 they are told to check ID all in the name of preventing Identify theft.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/quote]

I thought that merchants were supposed to check the signature on the cc strip against the signature on the cc receipt. That prevents fraud from someone signing another name.

Edited by zoecat, 03 July 2005 - 01:20 PM.

#32 angeleyeskkhr

angeleyeskkhr
  • Members
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 02:28 PM

I'm inspired... there's a place down the street from where I work that has a sign on their door... $10 minimum for VISA/MC before tip. I'm tempted to order a $5 breakfast and use my card...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NIGHT CLUBS IN ORLANDO HAVE A "MINIMUM" OF "$20.00" WITHOUT TIP IN ORDER TO USE "ANY TYPE OF CREDIT OR CHARGE CARD".

IS THAT LEGAL??

THEY "FORCE" A SINGLE(solo) PERSON TO PURCHASE DRINKS IN EXCESS OF THAT AMOUNT IN ORDER TO ACCEPT THE CARD(s). UNFAIR
:good:

I HAVE COMPLAINT TO "VISA & MASTERCARD" THEY HAVEN'T DONE A SINGLE THING ABOUT IT. :lol:

MAYBE THAT EXPLAINS WHY THERE IS SO MANY "DUI's" AND OR CAR ACCIDENTS. :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You could let the TABC know..I'm sure they would have fun with that info--hmm, serving "drunks" I don't think is allowed, and something about encouraging excessive drinking...I know a nightclub/bar around here is getting in trouble because soo many DUI's were being issued to people leaving that nightclub.

#33 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 02:38 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My mom told me it was the law in FL. I've been unable to substantiate that. :clapping:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

CLARIFY...

THE FL LAW PREVENTS or REQUIRES CHECKING ID WITH A CREDIT CARD SALE???

DEMANDING ID WITH A CREDIT CARD SALE VIOLATES STATE LAW IN SOME STATES...I CAN'T SEE A STATE DOING A 180 ON THAT!!!

#34 BBQ123

BBQ123
  • Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 10:33 PM

There is no law in FL requiring ID to be checked.

Nor is there a law preventing ID check.

However, credit card policy prevents ID being required on a signed card.

#35 MarvBear

MarvBear

Administrator

• Admin
  • 47,423 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 10:34 PM

crosslinking

http://creditboards....showtopic=82795

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.