Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Duns and Bradstreet-Your Credit File

• Please log in to reply
320 replies to this topic

#101 TheDrewbert

TheDrewbert
  • Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 02:40 PM

D&B is giving me the run around... trying again to force me into their waaaaay overpriced credit builder programs. I have a feeling I'm going to have to cave eventually, but my respect for them has diminished substantially. When I point blank told the lady that I felt like I was being scammed, she said that "D&B is not a not for profit company". I pointed out that TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian aren't not-for-profit either yet they manage to stay in business without charging people to be listed in their files and get a credit rating.

Has anyone gotten away with getting a reporting DUNS number without paying the ridiculous fees?

#102 OJOY

OJOY
  • Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 11:39 PM

D&B is giving me the run around... trying again to force me into their waaaaay overpriced credit builder programs. I have a feeling I'm going to have to cave eventually, but my respect for them has diminished substantially. When I point blank told the lady that I felt like I was being scammed, she said that "D&B is not a not for profit company". I pointed out that TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian aren't not-for-profit either yet they manage to stay in business without charging people to be listed in their files and get a credit rating.

Has anyone gotten away with getting a reporting DUNS number without paying the ridiculous fees?

Here is some info about dealng wth D&B.

http://creditboards....howtopic=226426

#103 lovetolearn

lovetolearn
  • Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:13 PM

D&B Paydex scores are also weighted. I seen a client go from a low 50's Paydex to a mid 70's because they simply added 2 trades that were "large" dollar amounts-$100K &$50K from his supplier(s)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A Paydex score is generated when there are at least 4 creditors reporting payment activity on a business. For on time or on terms payments the Paydex score will be 80 if payments are made earlier that terms then the score will go up according to how early the payments are. The highest the score will go is 100. Paydex scores lower than 80 indicate late payments. For every day late 2 points will drop from the score. This is averaged out on all the open account in the credit file. The fact that the credit limits are high did not factor in to the Paydex score. The on time payments of the new accounts did.

#104 Mr Jody

Mr Jody
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 12:23 AM

THank you very much for this. I was able to obtain my DnB number today , jsut like you said!

#105 worldisyours2007

worldisyours2007
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 01:00 PM

I want to form a business entity in California. Is it better to form a corporation to establish business credit? Will an LLC work the same way with establishing business credit on Duns? What about Paydex and Equifax intelliscore?

#106 tadb1973

tadb1973
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:33 AM

Hi! Not sure if you made any progress yet, but I applied for a DUNS number online (before I read here to just call the 866 number)...next day i got an email saying i needed to call them. I did, and the lady pushed and pushed for me to pay $549 for the "good" number, not the free government number that "really doesnt do anything." I told her i would take BOTH...she stuttered and told me that i couldnt get both...that they basically served the same function (she didnt make sense). I then told her ill just take the free number, she eventually said okay, but warned it would take 30-60 days for the number to become active. I told her ok and hung up. Then I went back to this site and read that I could've called directly and got the number over the phone. So...I called, told the lady I needed the number today because my "business partners" yelled at me for not calling in the first place. She was very nice...and gave me the number right there on the phone! She did tell me that it would take 24hrs for this number to become active. I was so happy...couldn't have done it without this site!

#107 onmyway06

onmyway06
  • Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 03:02 PM

how do i see how much my paydex score is and how much is it if i need to buy it?

#108 Online Capital

Online Capital
  • Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:25 PM

Scores --

someone mentioned scores and how long a late stays.  Well let me add this...
Paydex scores are dollar weighted by %.  I have had lates, even recently.  However, my Paydex currently remains 80.  On the other hand, my paydex could be scored lower if only looked at for a particular month and depending on the dollar amounts of what was late.

So a late payment does not totally blow a paydex.  Now, on the other hand again, a % of your payments in total is often noted to creditors who check your credit...i.e. you make 5 payments that report.  All are on time but one, and it's just like 15 days late.  Your report could have verbiage when they check it, reading "80% on time, 20% late".    And even still, your paydex could be 80.  A creditor can see your late payments for awhile I am told, IF they purchase a detailed report.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your right and it depends on the ratio of accounts you have if you only have two and you are constantly late your paydex would be crap.. But if you have 20 it wont matter a bit..

I have also heard that paying on the last day (the due date) on an account is actually reported as a late. Therefore, you would have to make sure you pay the day before the due date. Anybody know anything about this?

#109 senier

senier
  • Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:37 PM

well, it really depends on the terms and conditions of the creditor.

Ex: payments made before 3pm will be posted the same day. Any payments after 3 pm will be posted the next business day. Usually people that pay after cut off time on the due date sometimes get a late reporting.

Home depot have that rule if it is not in by 3pm, on the due date it is late.

#110 senier

senier
  • Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:41 PM

well, it really depends on the terms and conditions of the creditor.

Ex: payments made before 3pm will be posted the same day. Any payments after 3 pm will be posted the next business day. Usually people that pay after cut off time on the due date sometimes get a late reporting.

Home depot have that rule if it is not in by 3pm, on the due date it is late.

#111 ArizonaWolfman

ArizonaWolfman
  • Newbies
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:12 PM

The first thing to do is get a D&B number and this can be done through three ways:
First you can go online and get a number for free. It will take 30 days to get the number. ........
I myself have gotten my number by stating I am applying for government contracts and got it right away. That is how others on this board have done it as well......

I applied for DUNS number online by saying I intended to apply for gov't grants or contracts. I got an email with my number the next business day.

"D&B has fulfilled your D-U-N-S number request. CCR registration at www.ccr.gov (click "Register in CCR") CAN BEGIN AFTER 24 HOURS. For US Federal Government contractors, failure to register your DUNS in CCR within 30 days may cause D&B to deactivate your DUNS number. "

Does this mean that now if I don't register as a gov't contractor, D&B will deactivate my DUNS number?

#112 losartworks

losartworks
  • Members
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:03 PM

I think this thread needs just a little revision in regards to acquiring the Duns number. A business really doesn't Need to sign up for a number at all. The number/file will auto create when your first net 30 account reports history. Frankly having the Duns number before any trade activity shows up is rather pointless anyway. Most of the net 30 starter vendors will happily open you a terms account without you having a Duns number. Calling up and asking for a number is just going to get you a line of BS from a commission hungry Duns sales rep.

Let your Duns file auto create just like your Experian business file does. It is NOT necessary to go get your Duns number. Stay off the sales reps radar by letting it auto create. Once your business shows up under the Duns search you will know it's auto created and can go from there to secure your eupdate password. File a request through their entities department. They in turn will call you back and verify business info. They then should send you a password within a couple days or you will then be able to request it online without hitting an error screen. The error comes up because you have not verified data with them yet. Once you do this through the entities department you will more than likely just get the password emailed to you, but if not, getting it online should be easy.

Again, Let your Duns file/number auto create and avoid getting your new file stuck in the sales department's system. Yes, you can get it through the government link, but just getting the number isn't going to get you anywhere because the file will be empty. The file/number is useless until the starter vendors net accounts start reporting.

#113 Mabrikh

Mabrikh
  • Newbies
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:57 PM

Very weird...very very weird <_< . I applied for DUNS number on Monday (04/16/2007) and I called today and got the DUNS number :clapping: .
I didn't have to give any kind of excuse. They just gave me without any problem. Now I am worried, why would they be generous enough to give me without any hassel and high pitch sales?
I asked how can I log online to check my business profile and the lady says, " Don't worry, D&B rep will give you call to walk you thru."

Do I smell "Pushy Sells Pitch" here?

I don't know what to expect now. I was hoping for big fight with them to get the number and I got w/o verbal fight.

Anybody had experience like this? What do I need to prepare for?

Please help. By the way, first post after meeting and greeting in CB. Please help me out.

#114 Brammy

Brammy
  • Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:04 PM

I havetalked to two representatives and made it clear I'm not interested in the larger product. This has been about four months ago and yet to have a DNB number or find my business in their data base

#115 Brammy

Brammy
  • Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:06 PM

Very weird...very very weird <_< . I applied for DUNS number on Monday (04/16/2007) and I called today and got the DUNS number :clapping: .
I didn't have to give any kind of excuse. They just gave me without any problem. Now I am worried, why would they be generous enough to give me without any hassel and high pitch sales?
I asked how can I log online to check my business profile and the lady says, " Don't worry, D&B rep will give you call to walk you thru."

Do I smell "Pushy Sells Pitch" here?

I don't know what to expect now. I was hoping for big fight with them to get the number and I got w/o verbal fight.

Anybody had experience like this? What do I need to prepare for?

Please help. By the way, first post after meeting and greeting in CB. Please help me out.

they will call you and tell you the number they issued to you is really not going to help you then they will try to sell you the credit builder product. At least you got a number I never did. and its been four months and two reps.

#116 miniYao

miniYao
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 11:38 PM

QUOTE(missty1029 @ Jun 13 2005, 07:22 AM)

The first thing to do is get a D&B number and this can be done through three ways:
First you can go online and get a number for free. It will take 30 days to get the number. ........
I myself have gotten my number by stating I am applying for government contracts and got it right away. That is how others on this board have done it as well......

I applied for DUNS number online by saying I intended to apply for gov't grants or contracts. I got an email with my number the next business day.

"D&B has fulfilled your D-U-N-S number request. CCR registration at www.ccr.gov (click "Register in CCR") CAN BEGIN AFTER 24 HOURS. For US Federal Government contractors, failure to register your DUNS in CCR within 30 days may cause D&B to deactivate your DUNS number. "

Does this mean that now if I don't register as a gov't contractor, D&B will deactivate my DUNS number?

I did the same thing and got the same message, now what?

#117 dobby

dobby
  • Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:49 AM

I'm a NOOOB to the business credit forum and ....

Well I read through 90% of this thread, then decided to go to the gov't CCR site to request a D&B number.

As soon as I finished that process, I kept reading and then I noticed someone saying - Don't bother getting the D&B file, let it auto create."

Darn@!%$#

But then, if the only reason was to avoid being in the D&B sales pitch continuous loop, maybe that problem has been solved since this thread was started.

There was a box to check at the final step of CCR.gov get your D&B number site.

It said: ___ I wish to have my entity Excluded from the D&B Marketing List.
(will not affect reporting, blah,blah,blah)

So I checked it.

Hopefully, that will work.

Now that's done - what's the next step?

It appears that my next step is to get some tradelines opened, using my new D&B number (assuming I get it shortly) at places such as NEBS, and others that 'report' and then work on getting business tradelines with other vendors.

I already have one existing corporate credit card (Amex) - although seems like everyone is getting F/Rd around here - so I'm not holding my breath.

My Corporation has been in existence since 1/1/2000 - but I only started filing Corporate income taxes since 2004. I used a gross revenue figure that's an average of 2004, 2005, and 2007 (projected) - 2006 stank!

This forum is amazing.

thanks

#118 REIMan

REIMan
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 03:08 PM

This is the lastest SALES tactic that I received from DnB. Just today 5/16/07. According to the Sales person my file will stay in DUNS SUPPORT.

Please understand we have validated duns number and unvalidated duns number. Please read letter below and let me know your final decision.

The FREE duns number is unvalidated

The free duns number is limited to certain ratings & scorings that will not be published. No validations were done at this time to show legitimacy or separate you from high risk files. Minimal information is shown for a business to see..

D&B wants to ensure the legitimacy of your company just as you would want us to ensure the legitimacy of other companies that you might want to do business with. In order to be eligible for a complete range of predictive scores & ratings, you will need to complete the validation process. This will build a full profile of who you are as a business. This validation occurs only during our DUNSRight cerfitication which results in a complete credit/business profile of your business.

First & Foremost are you familiar with Dun & Bradstreet?

Over 90% of both US Nat’l Banks & Global 1000 companies use D&B to make better credit decisions. D&B manages over 100 million business profiles; we have one of the largest databases in the the world. We are strictly business information services.

VALIDATION PROCESS DUNS: Establishing predictive scorings: for your vendors, business to business, banks & insurance, government bidding, etc.

DUNSRight has two options for Credit Builder.

Credit Builder: The credit builder will allow us to investigate corporate commissions, business license to show you are a legitimate business; we check public records to separate your from high risk files and do an interview and build a profile of who you are as a business. Once this is done Dun & Bradstreet backs you up as a company stating we validated your information. This also generates two medium risk scores and a password. The password will allow you to go online to review your file and make changes as needed. The two medium risk scores show you are not a high risk.

If a business is asking for a DUNS number, they will pull this file to base a decision on to do business with you.

The more information we have on you , the better. Building your full profile is the foundation to starting to build business credit. This will help you negotiate better terms with your suppliers; obtain better interest rates with your bank; and pay lower insurance premiums.

Flyers attached above for the Credit Builder (one time fee of $299) and the Credit Builder Plus (one time fee of $549. The Credit Builder plus also allows you to add trade references to show paying records. This gives you more clout more history, helps for instant credit with new vendors; better terms, discount rates, etc..Shows History.

Good credit is the lifeline of your business. It enables you to obtain funding for things like expansion, capital expenditures, research & development, and staffing. It is the principal contributing factor to your business’s future growth, not to mention the cash necessary to cover your cost of doing business; such liquidity lets you respond quickly to time sensitive requirements, without halting or compromising operations.

It’s not just about getting access to financing; business credit has increasingly become the primary vechicle for setting terms on business loans, determining insurance premiums, even setting lease payments. Good business credit can earn you lower rates, strengthening your cash flow.

Showing a profile of who you are as a business and making yourself locally and U.S. wide known.

I am at your disposal so please do not hesitate to contact me with any
questions or concerns. Have a great day!
Once your file is built there is never another fee for this again. You
have this file for the life of your company.
PLEASE RESPOND BACK TO ME.

#119 dobby

dobby
  • Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:13 PM

So - they keep beating the same dead horse.

Is it BS or do all the non-credit builder people suffer from a perpetual non-verified d&b rating?

Clearly - many people have resisted the sales pitch. Getting the number was the first hurdle for many, but that's apparently been fixed (for those who read Credit Boards) with the cool gov link mentioned above.

For those who have never agreed to credit-builder, and have had your number for a while - are you finding it difficult to get credit?

#120 kentrog7

kentrog7
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:46 PM

[quote name='sbrown' date='Nov 11 2005, 03:24 PM' post='1113048']
:grin: Hi all-

I am new to this site and have read through some of the information posted. I have noticed that all of you have a plethora of information. It's amazing! Anyway, I have a file, which DNB calls "support" file. I am only able to update my contact information over the phone and I can't do anything else with my file. The representative said that in order for me to add financials, trade references, etc. to my file, I would have to upgrade, which would cost $500. The only way around that was to find a company that would launch an investigation, if the information in my profile was incomplete (when applying for credit). In this case, I would be contacted by a DNB representative who would request all of the information needed to complete my file free of charge to me. My question is, does anyone know a company that I could request credit from, (which they would find an incomplete file when checking my business credit) would launch an investigation?

Thanks for your help in advance, Sadiqa

Sams Club ! I dont know if its the norm but they did when I applied for business credit from them

#121 imax

imax
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 02:33 PM

Checked my DUNS report today and a 4th account finally posted. However they still haven't posted a paydex score yet? This happen to anyone else?

#122 seattle

seattle
  • Bloggers
  • 880 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 07:32 PM

Checked my DUNS report today and a 4th account finally posted. However they still haven't posted a paydex score yet? This happen to anyone else?

Just give it time from what Ive read, Also I read every page in this post lol. I filled mines online last night and got my dun's number today.. I will follow the other posters suggestions and get my password sooner or later :blink:

#123 829

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 02:48 PM

I got the hassle from DNB too. The point she brought up was that for $299.00 they could validate my previous years in business. I started my business in 8/2003 as a sole proprietorship and incorporated in 3/2006. She said with verification of the age of the business I could immediately start getting credit.

So my question is, would this be a reason to pay for CB or should I just stick with the free number?

Thank you

#124 seattle

seattle
  • Bloggers
  • 880 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:54 PM

I got the hassle from DNB too. The point she brought up was that for $299.00 they could validate my previous years in business. I started my business in 8/2003 as a sole proprietorship and incorporated in 3/2006. She said with verification of the age of the business I could immediately start getting credit.

So my question is, would this be a reason to pay for CB or should I just stick with the free number?

Thank you

You must have gotten the same rep as myself, I called to get my password and she told me that my business would need to be Validated. I got the number to the non sales department and they gave me my password to get in.

My file is blank there are no entries at all in it. So I guess sooner or later something will post in there, that says Ive done some TL's I have 5 listed paid up front or charged and immediately paid them off either or.

Guess I have to wait and see what happens.....

Edited by seattle, 05 July 2007 - 08:56 PM.

#125 829

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 01:55 PM

Thank you

You must have gotten the same rep as myself, I called to get my password and she told me that my business would need to be Validated. I got the number to the non sales department and they gave me my password to get in.

My file is blank there are no entries at all in it. So I guess sooner or later something will post in there, that says Ive done some TL's I have 5 listed paid up front or charged and immediately paid them off either or.

Guess I have to wait and see what happens.....

I hope this does not cause a problem, but I got the feeling that the lady was not going to submit my application. Judging from some of the posts here about having to wait 2+ months and not getting a number, I went the way of government grant/contractor and received my number the same day via email. I filled out the required questions and I have enjoyed 2 approvals and 1 denial (lowes), but I applied before I had my DNB, but I am almost certain I will get it after my 60 day wait.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.