Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Duns and Bradstreet-Your Credit File

• Please log in to reply
320 replies to this topic

#276 John Cash

John Cash
  • Spammer
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:23 PM

I was doing some research (as I always do) and found a guy name gboogie,he made mention of Dnb doing something that is called "red flagged" wich means something to the extent that they can make it hard for you to build corporate credit. I searched the boards and other sites and haven't heard anyone make any mention of this before.

Does anyone have any insight into this? He also said to have a method for building credit with absolutely no money?? Has anybody ever heard anything like this before? This stuff maybe old but I'm fairly new, so you gotta excuse me if my questions seem rookie, lol.

#277 Guest_Mark Johnson_*

Guest_Mark Johnson_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:46 AM

The first thing to understand about Duns and Bradstreet (D&B, DnB), is that you do not HAVE to buy anything to receive a Paydex. D&B will tell you otherwise but it is not true.

The first thing to do is get a D&B number and this can be done through three ways:
First you can go online and get a number for free. It will take 30 days to get the number. It has been some people�s experience that they do not get a number after 30 days and when contacting D&B they say �all you are applying for is a marketing number and you have to buy creditbuilder.� This is not true.
Second, you can call 866-705-5711 and state you are applying for federal grants/contracts and you need a duns number. They will give it to you on the spot with no solicitations.
Finally you can purchase creditbuilder which will include a duns number and you also will get the number right away. Also if you speak to a rep on the phone they sometimes give you the option of buying creditbuilder lite. This can be different prices as it is not listed on the website but others have paid $199 or $250 for it.

I myself have gotten my number by stating I am applying for government contracts and got it right away. That is how others on this board have done it as well.

Now that you have a duns number I would suggest whenever you apply for a net 30 or revolving account you include this number on your order form. Start with the credit building vendors like Uline, Viking and Nebs. When you order and pay, they will report to D&B. This is how you will begin to build a credit file.
If you purchase credit builder then they should be adding vendors you have done business with in the past.

Eupdate is the tool you can use to go into your D&B file and see what trades are listed and if you have a paydex and other company information. You have to request a password. You may receive a password or you may receive an email that states �you have to call them so they can help you� It is my experience when you call they will tell you several things which just amount to the bottom line of �you just have a marketing number and you cannot access your file until you buy creditbuilder.� This is also not true. I was unable to get a password until I had trades reporting. Others have been able to get a password right away. Either way we got a password without buying anything. If you buy creditbuilder you should have no problem getting a password.

Once you have your eupdate password you can check your report as well as update you company information. It is suggested that you don�t check eupdate too often or make to many changes too often. This may result in a red flag to D&B and they may lock your file. It is hard to tell what D&B may do but take the side of caution.

Now what D&B has not done as a result of you NOT buying creditbuilder is give you a D&B rating. This is the information of the rating and the chart as found on their site.

The D&B Rating field in a report may also display the following designations when certain conditions are present:
The '- -' Symbol: This represents the absence of a D&B Rating and should not be interpreted as indicating that credit should be denied. It means that the information available to D&B does not permit us to classify the company within our Rating Key and that further inquiry should be made before reaching a credit decision. Some reasons for using the "- -" symbol include: deficit net worth, bankruptcy proceedings, lack of sufficient payment information or incomplete history indicator.
DS (DUNS Support): This indicates that the information available to D&B does not permit us to classify the company within our Rating Key. When ordering these reports, an investigation can be performed and results sent to you at your request for an additional fee.
INV (Investigation Being Conducted): When an "INV" appears, it means an investigation is being conducted on this business to get the most current details.
NQ (Not Quoted): This is generally assigned when a business has been confirmed as no longer active at the location, or when D & B is unable to confirm active operations. It may also appear on some branch reports, when the branch is located in the same city as the headquarters.
Rating Classification Composite Credit Appraisal
(Based on Worth from Interim or Fiscal Balance Sheet) High Good Fair Limited
5A $50,000,000 and over 1 2 3 4
4A 10,000,000 to 49,999,999 1 2 3 4
3A 1,000,000 to 9,999,999 1 2 3 4
2A 750,000 to 999,999 1 2 3 4
1A 500,000 to 749,999 1 2 3 4
BA 300,000 to 499,999 1 2 3 4
BB 200,000 to 299,999 1 2 3 4
CB 125,000 to 199,999 1 2 3 4
CC 75,000 to 124,999 1 2 3 4
DC 50,000 to 74,999 1 2 3 4
DD 35,000 to 49,999 1 2 3 4
EE 20,000 to 34,999 1 2 3 4
FF 10,000 to 19,999 1 2 3 4
GG 5,000 to 9,999 1 2 3 4
HH up to 4,999 1 2 3 4

Rating Classification Composite Credit Appraisal
Based on Number of Employees) Good Fair Limited
1R 10 and over 2 3 4
2R 1 to 9 2 3 4

Key To Employee Range
Applicable to lines of business not covered by the D&B Rating system
ER1 1,000 or more
ER2 500-999
ER3 100-499
ER4 50-99
ER5 20-49
ER6 10-19
ER7 5-9
ER8 1-4
ERN Not Available

Some people have gotten this information without paying for something. But this information is different from a Paydex. The Paydex is what is important when applying for credit.

PAYDEX� Score
The PAYDEX Score is D&B's unique dollar-weighted numerical indicator of how a firm paid its bills over the past year, based on trade experiences reported to D&B by various vendors. The D&B PAYDEX Score ranges from 1 to 100, with higher scores indicating better payment performance.
Key to the D&B PAYDEX� Score
PAYDEX Payment
100 Anticipate
90 Discount
80 Prompt
70 15 Days Beyond Terms
60 22 Days Beyond Terms
50 30 Days Beyond Terms
40 60 Days Beyond Terms
20 90 Days Beyond Terms
20 120 Days Beyond Terms
UN Unavailable

A paydex can be obtained without buying anything. The truth of the matter is it will take time. For me it took 3 and a half months. Others depending on your spending have gotten it quicker. With creditbuilder you can obtain your paydex faster.

It seems that D&B updates their information Saturday nights. So if you want to check its best to do so on Sunday as that should be the current information they have. If it is it�s a different story, but it should be.

D&B will call you after you get your number and try to sell you something. They will tell you your number is no good and that you will not have a credit file. They may deny you a password to eupdate. Even if you get in the file there may be information that is missing or wrong. It is suggested you call a rep and make changes and they will still try to sell you something. Be patient. Place your orders and pay the bills. The trades will show up and once you get four of five you will get a Paydex.

This is the basic of building the D&B file. I hope this answers a lot of questions that come up.

Hey it has been almost 5 years since this post does anyone have an updated version of this breakdown I find it hard to believe that there wouldn't be some updates to this if so please let me know :search:

#278 tlorat

tlorat
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:21 AM

Hey everyone I recently applied for a DnB number and have found that the game has changed since 2005 and it is such that it is nearly impossible to get anything without purchasing the Credit Builder Lite or something of that nature from DnB. Staples used to just give you an account without any credit history or anything but they won't anymore and this is why. Here is how it was explained to me by my DnB inside source. Once you purchase the DnB credit builder lite for $199 it takes five days to process everything (verify your business, etc.) then you apply for cards like Staples, SuperFleet, Valero, they will then open an account for you based upon information in your DnB account and then you go on to accounts like Uline, Nebs, Quill, Reliable, etc.(because now they won't even extend credit unless you have this account with DnB, unlike before) Although it cost money, it seems to be the most efficient way to go now because they all seem to be working together to achieve a common goal. Hope this helps!

#279 StuffFromDennis

StuffFromDennis
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:14 PM

DnB has always said things like this to get people to purchase their products. Credit terms are changing throughout both business and personal credit but whether or not you purchase a creditbuilder product from DnB has little to nothing to do with this...

#280 John Cash

John Cash
  • Spammer
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:50 PM

Hey everyone I recently applied for a DnB number and have found that the game has changed since 2005 and it is such that it is nearly impossible to get anything without purchasing the Credit Builder Lite or something of that nature from DnB. Staples used to just give you an account without any credit history or anything but they won't anymore and this is why. Here is how it was explained to me by my DnB inside source. Once you purchase the DnB credit builder lite for $199 it takes five days to process everything (verify your business, etc.) then you apply for cards like Staples, SuperFleet, Valero, they will then open an account for you based upon information in your DnB account and then you go on to accounts like Uline, Nebs, Quill, Reliable, etc.(because now they won't even extend credit unless you have this account with DnB, unlike before) Although it cost money, it seems to be the most efficient way to go now because they all seem to be working together to achieve a common goal. Hope this helps!

NO my friend,don't let Dnb extort your hard earned money from you! With that being said it does make getting your credit come on your report faster if you do pay your way with the gatekeepers, Dnb is not actually a credit bureau in the traditional sense. They are primarily a data collection company that has a fierce sales team,they hold their products over your head, to make you feel as though you gotta pay for play. <_<

This is simply not true,the most change I have noticed since the good ol' days is that your actual file is more important than a paydex score. I think the member greywolf was mentioning sumthin about setting up your company before you begin applyng,and I started doing research on that. I found this guy gboogie and he gave like a whole tutorial for free,and was saying how the emphasis nowadays is all about your file. :huh:

They are looking at number of employees,what kind and how many (if any) public filings you have on your report. If your trades are organic, also the stuff that we see on credit reports is a low percentage to what they really see on their side of the table,this goes for personal as well as corporate reports. :o

As far as vendor credit,he says that in today's economy to be unknown is to be untrusted, well with the recession and so much murky water,I can't really blame the lendors too bad (did I just say that)?? Well not whole-heartedly lol B)

But I'm a little concerned about the info your inside connection gave you at Dnb "how inside is he" j/k...but hopefully this may help any and all CB'rs that may read this...

"Credit is as old as Money Itself"

#281 Coleslaw

Coleslaw
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:28 PM

i like the post u put up missty1029 on the dnb an how to handle i think this info. is still good currently i'm still looking around for all the tips i can find to help me out on the build up of my corp. but this info. is still current huh missty1029 it's bout the same i would think? Helping myself as you say...lol :lol:

#282 milesb

milesb
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:57 PM

i like the post u put up missty1029 on the dnb an how to handle i think this info. is still good currently i'm still looking around for all the tips i can find to help me out on the build up of my corp. but this info. is still current huh missty1029 it's bout the same i would think? Helping myself as you say...lol :)

DnB bunch of criminals! They got me for some money on a program before. I couldn't even use the people i had accounts with they turned them down. Watch out for that. Could have used that money else where. I was reading gboogies ebook. He has a cool trick on how to get your number. Should check it out.

#283 nakednick

nakednick
  • Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 12:32 PM

On my DnB report i have 3 reporting and a Paydex score of 80, however how do i deal with the symbol DS. Or Should I not worry about it, any advice would be really appreciated.

#284 paniston

paniston
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:09 AM

I got a DUNNs #. It was super easy. I said I needed it for a government contract for the city I work for. So I registered online on the website they gave me. Im concerned though. Is it wrong that I registered on that website? Where do I go from here?

#285 vtt

vtt
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:31 PM

What i notice is they keep putting false "late pays" and every month i have to dispute it so they take it off. they finally said i would have to subpoena them to get the name of the co . that is doing this. i think it's because they want me to pay for the "monitoring " service".
i told them they are ruining small businesses..they are a monkey on our backs

#286 nycluv

nycluv
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:14 PM

thanks for the info....ive been researching biz credit and dnb....this was very valuable.

can u recommend any other sites that provide helpful info re biz credit?

#287 nycluv

nycluv
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:20 PM

i like the post u put up missty1029 on the dnb an how to handle i think this info. is still good currently i'm still looking around for all the tips i can find to help me out on the build up of my corp. but this info. is still current huh missty1029 it's bout the same i would think? Helping myself as you say...lol :dntknw:

DnB bunch of criminals! They got me for some money on a program before. I couldn't even use the people i had accounts with they turned them down. Watch out for that. Could have used that money else where. I was reading gboogies ebook. He has a cool trick on how to get your number. Should check it out.

is the "trick" to mention that u are applying for a fed grant? is the ebook only about dnb?

#288 bizloot

bizloot
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:36 PM

Question to anyone: I started a business years ago, and it is currently still doing ok/well... Everything I applied for has been been appoved (only a few accounts I needed), so I havent really had to check D&B for any kind of updates.

Here is the scenario... I recently updated this business on D&B with a new number of employees, etc. This was done back in May. I went to the D&B site to attempt to login, and it looked a little different. I put in my email address, and the password I believed it to be, and it returned a "invalid username". I tried it 3 or 4 times and no cigar. So, I then went to my email and used the link I was sent when I made the update to our account, and the page looked familiar...so, I attempted to log in again, and it took me right back to the "unfamiliar" page saying that the username was invalid.

Has D&B changed something? I dont want to request a password reset and have some idiot of a sales-rep email or call me... I hate these D&B guys.

The only thing I see to do, is to bow down and get the credit builder... sux because I just incorporated another web business, and hope I dont have to jump through a bunch of crap covered loops.

#289 ladyazteca

ladyazteca
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:56 PM

FYI - The eupdate system with DNB is no more and has been replaced with dnb self monitor. Anyone that attempts to get a duns e update password/register will get an email stating that they need to call dnb. This is recent information as of October 25th 2010.

#290 ladyazteca

ladyazteca
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:58 PM

Just as a follow up to my last post the self monitor program is called DNBi Self Monitor and guess what folks it is a paid self service!!! Hope this helps someone out.

#291 SteelerChick79

SteelerChick79
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:01 PM

Still a newbie...so I hope I'm posting in the right place.

Our business didn't run into the issues that a lot of others have...we actually have FOUR duns numbers *shrug* I think we actually requested one of them, but the other 3 came out of no where. When I pull up our company, they're actually addressed to other places that we have mail sent to (we have a web business so we move a lot).

Anyway, I was going to sigh up for the eupdate/iupdate password, but how do I make sure that DUNS is going to consolidate our accounts to the rights duns number? I'm sure one or two of them have some TLs reported on it. So will they just merge them all or what? Anyone know?

We started our biz in college in 04, got our EIN in 04, but didn't get our LLC until 07. I think we signed up for a DUNS first in about 2007ish. I think we got a letter or something in the mail with the number on it in a few days.

#292 the dj

the dj
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:17 AM

I myself applied online for a D&B number......

got an email about 3 days later stating to call & talk to an advisor.....

I called that day & listened to the hard sell (credit builder, monitor, etc.).....and said I'd have to think about it......

I emailed the advisor back a week later saying I wasn't ready to do the credit builder for $229 yet and that I'll just wait for my free number.....I also asked will I get notified via email or by phone of my D&B number when it's available.........

He replied back I'll get notified via email........

after 6 weeks I went to the D&B site myself and looked it up & found my own number.....no email back
hope this helps

-Jeff G

#293 invisible1

invisible1
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:35 AM

I myself applied online for a D&B number......

got an email about 3 days later stating to call & talk to an advisor.....

I called that day & listened to the hard sell (credit builder, monitor, etc.).....and said I'd have to think about it......

I emailed the advisor back a week later saying I wasn't ready to do the credit builder for $229 yet and that I'll just wait for my free number.....I also asked will I get notified via email or by phone of my D&B number when it's available.........

He replied back I'll get notified via email........

after 6 weeks I went to the D&B site myself and looked it up & found my own number.....no email back
hope this helps

-Jeff G

#294 invisible1

invisible1
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:38 AM

i have been reading on here, businesscreditblog, and gboogie.net the easiest way to get a Dunns nnumber was to register thru the ccr. i tried it and it worked for me.

#295 woowoo

woowoo
  • Members
  • 406 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:04 PM

I just received my DUNS # via phone, said I may be applying for city contract,.
I was told that I have 1 month to register DUNS # on www.ccr.gov Central Contractor Registration, guess I'm on way to do that in 24-48 hours when DUNS # is activated. :clapping:

#296 jimbatiste

jimbatiste
  • Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 02:51 PM

how many lenders actually use your D&B report?

#297 NuBizness

NuBizness
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:55 PM

I didnt want to start a new topic but i wanted to ask you guys a question about tradelines.
I have a business landline with a well=known phone company. I have a few weeks to pay the bill, even though its not an official
trade business with zillions of products for sell but i wanted to know if I could list a phone company as a tradeline b/c they do report to credit bureaus.
thanks

#298 kennethp

kennethp
  • Newbies
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:35 AM

Hello everyone,

The Government contracter method still works for Free DUNS numbers and if you use the site http://fedgov.dnb.com/webform ; you can exclude your company from D&B's marketing list. Obtained a DUNS number for my new corp yesterday. They email it to you within a day.

18. What is the DUNS Number and why is it being requested?

The DUNS Number is a nine-digit business identifier that is assigned and maintained by Dun and Bradstreet. The DUNS Number is the standard for all Federal government electronic commerce transactions and is used as the contractor identification code all for procurement-related activities. The DUNS Number uniquely identifies a single business entity, while linking the corporate family structure. Employer submission of this number will assist VETS in identifying Federal contractors and subcontractors. Government contractors may request a DUNS Number at no cost via the web http://fedgov.dnb.com/webform, or by contacting the D&B Government Customer Response Center: U.S. and U.S Virgin Islands: 1-866-705-5711 Alaska and Puerto Rico: 1-800-234-3867. Additional information about the DUNS number can be found at the following web site: http://www.dnb.com/

Source: DOL FAQ Site

#299 kennethp

kennethp
  • Newbies
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:08 AM

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to add some more info. For anyone that's had problems with there DUNS number i.e. (Lack of trade lines, etc...)I'm sure they don't tell you over the phone, because it's more sales driven, but this was on the lower portion of my email. I'm sure this serves as an easy out to not report for folks that aren't paying for D&B's credit products. To maintain your DUNS number; companies granted a DUNS number under Gov't Contract request must register with the CCR within 30 days of obtaining a DUNS number. Registration with CCR will allow you to login and view gov't contracts and grants; the whole process is simple and free. This is all the info I've come across in my quest for a free DUNS number. If I come across anything else; I'll append. Thanks to all the previous posters and I'm glad the process seems to be less marketing intensive. Happy Credit Building!!!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Pasted from email
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

YOU MUST WAIT AT LEAST 24-48 HOURS BEFORE YOU CAN BEGIN USING THIS DUNS NUMBER, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE GOING TO REGISTER IN CCR.

CCR registration at www.ccr.gov (Click "Start New Registration") CAN BEGIN AFTER 24 HOURS. For US ** FEDERAL ** Government contractors, failure to register your DUNS Number in CCR within 30 days may cause D&B to deactivate your DUNS number.

For questions about the CCR registration process, please contact the CCR help desk at 866-606-8220 or https://www.fsd.gov/clients/.

#300 DJ3056

DJ3056
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:29 PM

Great posts guys!

All business owners should remember that growing your EIN's credit is much like building your SSN's. You need to start by establishing credit with vendors (Office Max, Staples, Shell), pay your bills on time (or early to get that paydex up!) and be patient. Many lenders in today's market have tightened up their lending guidelines, especially for no-PG products.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.