Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

Duns and Bradstreet-Your Credit File

• Please log in to reply
320 replies to this topic

#26 missty1029

missty1029
  • Members
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 07:55 AM

Ivy they always try to sell you something thats what they do!!!!!!
Unless you skip the sales department I think that is what the majority experiences!!

#27 IvyMgmt

IvyMgmt
  • Members
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 07:56 AM

Can anyone help me with this?

Got a DUNS number by saying that I needed it to go goverment bids
and the next day I logged in and presto my numbers there...then today
I get this message:

Warning:
This account has been locked out.
Please call customer service to reset your password.
(866) 472-7362

What's up with this?  Has this happened to anyone else on this board?

Let me know your comments.

Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a question about this. I got a DUNS number also, but everytime I check for my company info, I cannot find it, and it cannot find the DUNS # in the database. I called on of the reps and they said that they number would not be in there for 30-45 days. Is this true? Or like karosmom, should I be able to view it immediately? It's been almost two weeks now and still I can't view it, or if I type my company name it doesn't appear.

ALso, can anyone out there who has that unlimited credit file checking service pull a report for me? I would GREATLY appreciate it, would like to see the info in a previous companies file before I take it over.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you receive an email confirmation? Also the easiest way to obtain a duns is to go through http://www.ccr.gov.

I got my duns in two days along with a wealth of other info..

#28 IvyMgmt

IvyMgmt
  • Members
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 07:58 AM

Ivy they always try to sell you something thats what they do!!!!!!
Unless you skip the sales department I think that is what the majority experiences!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Missty Im gonna fight you! if you dont stop the madness! <_<

They are a business, hell if I could I would be trying to sell to this forum too. I aint got nothing to say to another business owner unless we are talking money at this point. I dont need to build relationships I need to build clients, paying one.. So duns aint trying to be all friendly they are trying to make money!

#29 missty1029

missty1029
  • Members
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 08:08 AM

<_< :swoon:
Lets fight!!!! :swoon:

I understand for sure!!!!!
But for some reason people cant seem to get around this.
I can tell you and I are similar that we dont take no business from them. I get what I need and thats it. For some reason they intimidate people. I am just trying to say look no need to feel that way. Understand what they are about,stand up for yourself, and get what you need!!!!!!!

Lets not fight!!! We are here to get along!!! :swoon:

#30 IvyMgmt

IvyMgmt
  • Members
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 08:14 AM

hahaha thats something I always say to folk..

But I was into that building relationship mess and I got burnt so now I wont..

#31 cooliojones

cooliojones
  • Members
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 12:46 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So what are you saying Ivy? That you won't talk to us anymore unless we pay you?? LOL

I hate it sometimes when customers try to get too close, then the line between business and personal relationships gets blurred too much for comfort. One of my customers' mother invited me to church next month, lawd why??? Why do they do that when you already told them you have a church home?!

#32 IvyMgmt

IvyMgmt
  • Members
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 02:36 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So what are you saying Ivy? That you won't talk to us anymore unless we pay you?? LOL

I hate it sometimes when customers try to get too close, then the line between business and personal relationships gets blurred too much for comfort. One of my customers' mother invited me to church next month, lawd why??? Why do they do that when you already told them you have a church home?!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well in regards to church sometimes its good visit..

But back to business yes that has happened quite a few times especially with men, they not looking to do business but looking for a good time! I am not your good time girl! its all about biiiiiiiiizzzzness!

#33 missty1029

missty1029
  • Members
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 08:23 PM

bumpin for the new crew!!!!!

#34 CreditmanMI

CreditmanMI
  • Newbies
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 08:39 PM

D&B Paydex scores are also weighted. I seen a client go from a low 50's Paydex to a mid 70's because they simply added 2 trades that were "large" dollar amounts-$100K &$50K from his supplier(s)

#35 paladin

paladin
  • Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 10:59 AM

Here's a question for the DnB experts;

We get a message about once a month from some drone at DnB telling us there is "A LOT of activity on our report" (His emphasis) and that we need to call him RIGHT AWAY.

I haven't called him back yet, because I figured he was just trying to sell me something.

Now, the question is... Is it safe to just ignore these?

Thanks!

G

#36 FlaHomeBldr

FlaHomeBldr
  • Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 02:04 PM

Yes.

#37 dieselfish

dieselfish
  • Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 03:38 PM

how long does it take to get an e-update password? I sent for one by email a week ago and have not heard anything.

#38 missty1029

missty1029
  • Members
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 06:32 PM

You should get it right away. If not they may be stalling on you.

#39 Erik Salmon

Erik Salmon
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 01:01 PM

Hi every one,

I just wanted to help with some of the confusion with D&B. First off I am a business credit and finance coach and I have been doing this for about 5 yeas and consulted with over 10,000 client. I am not advertising just wanted to give you some credentials be for I give you the scoop on D&B. I am also not giving any legal or accounting advise.

First off the best business entity to build a business credit profile to is a C or S corporation. I am not saying that is the best business entity for your business that should be determined by you and your business consultant.

Next you do not even want to deal with D&B until you have done the following first:

1. Have your business entity properly setup and completed. This should include a tax id number from the irs.

2. Your company must have a physical address that it is doing business from. You should never try to build credit to a mail box, virtual office, or your registered agents address.

3. The company must have a business phone from your local phone company so that it you can list it in 411. Voice mail, virtual phone numbers, answering services or any other phone service will not work. You can forward your 411 listed phone number to any of these other services if you like but for applying for credit use your 411 listed phone number. Do not use a home phone number to save a few bucks.

4. Must have a business license for the physical business location. If you are in an unincorporated town then check with the state to make sure that your company has all licenses and permits to operate in your state.

5. Your business must have a business bank account. The best minimum bank reference should be an account that has been open for 6 months and has had a daily average balance for the last 3 months of $7,000.00

6. Gather up 4-6 business references. Does not mater if they do not report credit. The references can be any one you have been doing business with present or past. Call them and ask to use them as a business reference and have a contact name so that when the reference is verified the creditor is given the correct info.

This is the minimum that should be in place before ever requesting a duns number. Once you request a duns number you will be contacted by D&B and they will try to sell you their credit builder services. The truth is as your company opens credit accounts with vendors and suppliers, they will report to D&B your payment history. By the way vendors and suppliers are the ones who mainly report to D&B. There are 5 major business credit reporting agencies not just D&B and they each have specific types of creditors that report to them.

I hope this helps.

#40 Erik Salmon

Erik Salmon
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 01:12 PM

Here's a question for the DnB experts;

We get a message about once a month from some drone at DnB telling us there is "A LOT of activity on our report" (His emphasis) and that we need to call him RIGHT AWAY.

I haven't called him back yet, because I figured he was just trying to sell me something. 

Now, the question is...  Is it safe to just ignore these?

Thanks!

G

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do not ignore D&B call as you never know what it is for. Yes it is probably a sales call to sell you a credit report monitoring service. Just tell them you are not interested if this is the case.

#41 Erik Salmon

Erik Salmon
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 01:24 PM

D&B Paydex scores are also weighted.  I seen a client go from a low 50's Paydex to a mid 70's because they simply added 2 trades that were "large" dollar amounts-$100K &$50K from his supplier(s)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A Paydex score is generated when there are at least 4 creditors reporting payment activity on a business. For on time or on terms payments the Paydex score will be 80 if payments are made earlier that terms then the score will go up according to how early the payments are. The highest the score will go is 100. Paydex scores lower than 80 indicate late payments. For every day late 2 points will drop from the score. This is averaged out on all the open account in the credit file. The fact that the credit limits are high did not factor in to the Paydex score. The on time payments of the new accounts did.

#42 gemi

gemi
  • Members
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 08:00 PM

I have a 6 year old business and am now planing to get a duns number. A few years ago I changed my business telephone service from Birch Telecom to Southwestern Bell. But they continued billing me even after the transfer had occured. I did not pay them for the over billed amount. Will this show up in my business credit history at db?

#43 sk8erchick

sk8erchick
  • Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 05:43 PM

Can anyone help me with this?

Got a DUNS number by saying that I needed it to go goverment bids
and the next day I logged in and presto my numbers there...then today
I get this message:

Warning:
This account has been locked out.
Please call customer service to reset your password.
(866) 472-7362

What's up with this?  Has this happened to anyone else on this board?

Let me know your comments.

Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i'm not sure if anyone answered you but i got that too. i called and they gave me a new password. they were nice that one time on the phone. they even gave me my duns # which i didn't even know i had since i've been applyin for it the past year but never received it. everytime i called it was credit builder this credit builder that. and i would search duns and brad sometimes just to see if i was listed on there site. and finally last month i was there. shocker to me. lol. and it only took a year but it was free.

#44 tsumpter

tsumpter
  • Newbies
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 03:58 PM

What is Net 30 and should I get a business address from one of the mail centers to use when applying for credit cards?

#45 missty1029

missty1029
  • Members
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 05:32 PM

What is Net 30 and should I get a business address from one of the mail centers to use when applying for credit cards?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A net 30 is an account that is due within 30 days of invoice.
You can get a mail center address to use as your mailing address but you need to use your physical address as well.

#46 rigirl

rigirl
  • Members
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 06:33 PM

I would not use one of the mail center addresses, I have always used my home address and I havent had any problem getting anything and DNB knows the addreses of the mailbox places and they will put that statement on your file-This is a mail drop address. Companies know that alot of people work out of their home nowadays. DH also has home biz and he has never had a problem getting anything including First Horizon.

#47 cooliojones

cooliojones
  • Members
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 07:47 PM

So rigirl are you saying that you shouldn't use a mail center address for anything (such as the mailing address), or just for the physical address?

#48 rigirl

rigirl
  • Members
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 09:44 PM

So rigirl are you saying that you shouldn't use a mail center address for anything (such as the mailing address), or just for the physical address?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Coolio,

Its my preference not to use a mail center, I used one 9 years ago when I started out but I didnt know what I know now. I would just hate for someone to use another address and it hurt them instead of help. I have read onhere where DNB marked someones file that they are using a mail center. I have not had a need to use another address, but if you are in a different situation and you feel more comfortable using one then you should do what ever works for your biz. I am just saying that not using a mail place hasnt hurt mine or DH's biz. YMMV

#49 Braintan

Braintan
  • Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 12:42 AM

I've been listed with DnB for three years. I have 8 active vendors reporting. No negatives, and yet I have no PayDex score?!!

I really want to get a PayDex score to help in my Line of Credit applications, so how at this point, do I make it happen? Anybody know?

#50 bee bee

bee bee
  • Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 09:53 AM

rigirl (or to anyone who can answer this appropriately)

I was actually thinking of using a mailing center addy for my business because currently I rent and my address as an apartment number in it. Would I be better off maybe leasing a tiny business office just for physical presence? I would really hate to list an apartment number on applications. Secondly, the efficiency and reliability of mail in my area is terrible.

Any thoughts?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.