Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

The overlooked "number of accounts with balance" fico formula

Posted by TheChosenOne , 04 April 2009 · 301 views

Here is the blog entry in which I will disect the often overlooked formula that seems to weigh the most for the particular fico scorecard I'm currently on. I realize that some if not all the vets may already be aware of this part of the fico formula. This is more for the newer members.

Open Revolving accts/closed..............with balance.................result
35/8....................................................9/0......................-8 points
35/8....................................................8/0......................+8 points
36/9.....................................................10/0.....................-10 points
37/9..................................................12/0........................(no change)
38/9....................................................8/0.......................+10 points
38/9....................................................4/0.......................+11 points

These are the last score alerts from eq scorewatch. Here we can see that the score jumps and goes
back down by a fairly significant number of points when it hits a certain percentage of accounts with balances vs. open accounts (thats my theory, see 2nd paragraph below for other possibility). So when the 9th account that reported a balance put the percentage over 25% (25.7%), just like with utilization percentage, the score took a pretty decent hit (8 points). And when the number of accounts went back down to 8 (under 25% of open accts - 22.8% to be exact) the score jumped back up the same amount of points. So 25% seems to definitely be a benchmark in the formula. Note that I don't dare carry a balance on a closed account, so I can't tell the effects that would have. Hopefully if you have a balance on a closed accont, you pay it off quickly as it can really damage a credit score in more than one part of the fico formula.

The other possibility (or yet another part of the formula) would be total accounts period vs. ones with a balance. This theory would also fly, as when the 9th account out of 43 total put the percentage over 20% (20.9%). And when it went back down to 8, of course the percentage fell to below 20 (18.6%) and the score went back up. This also happened at the 10/45 ratio (22.2%).

My theory are that both are figured into this part of the fico formula, with active accts vs. ones with balances being the dominating factor. I will update this blog as time goes on to prove or disprove my theories. I will be paying my number of accounts with balances down to 3 total on my reports, keeping an eye on fico score movement along the way. I am expecting to see significant gains as the percentage passes 20%, 15%, 10% and maybe 5%. Stay tuned.

Update #1: Right before paying off a bunch of balances, I let a couple more report to see the point result, if any.. With 2 extra balances reporting and only 1 new account, there was no fico point movement, due to the ratio percentage still being over 25% (27.8%). However, we can see that IF total number (both closed and open) were taken into account, the 2 extra accounts reporting would put the ratio from 22% to over 25% (26.1%) reinforcing my theory that open accounts are the main factor in this part of the fico formula.

Update #2: A 38th account reports and balances paid down to 8, which brings the ratio down to below 25% (21.1%), and guess what happened? Yep, the exact same 10 points that were deducted a month ago are added back. The balances that zeroed out were all very small amounts (less than $100), further prooving that its not hitting on utilization at all, but the same ratio of accts w/ balance. The next test is the score reaction as the ratio falls under 20% in the next week.

Update #3: You can thank equifax for cancelling my scorewatch without my consent. For some reason they blocked my report access. After a lot of work, I was able to unblock it to start up a scorewatch with myfico.com, though I missed some marks (20% and 15%). Accounts with balances number lowered to 4 (10.5%) and my score increased 11 points. Not sure which milestone created the largest increase, but Im thinking 20%. Even though Equifax sabotaged this experiment, we can see that ratio of balances vs. total active accounts is a very powerful part of the fico formula.

Posted Image

April 2014

S M T W T F S
13141516 17 1819

Recent Comments

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.